2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

My picks for CPS are Michigan, Washington, Texas and Georgia.

Well, I missed it mainly because I didn't want Alabama in there.  They must play Michigan.  Texas Thompson and Washington Polk will now play each other.

1 hour ago, LPPACK said:

cant even get to the playoffs ourselves,Panthers and had both of them on same team.

That tells you a lot right there. There are so many other great Pack players in the last 12 years who have passed through the Lufkin program. Same boat. SMH

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Exactly. I mean, did we get the maximum we should have with those guys on the roster? Prolly not but we had one incredible season while they were. 

Now that I think about it. Polk wasn't on that team. He would of been a freshmen in 2017. So they would of been on the 2018 and 19 teams together. 10-2 and 9-2. 

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Now that I think about it. Polk wasn't on that team. He would of been a freshmen in 2017. So they would of been on the 2018 and 19 teams together. 10-2 and 9-2. 

Man, PN I respect you like no other. Wish I could see things now through your perspective. 10-2 and 9-2 with two great players, doesn't resonate with me anymore. Any more than having a P5 Norte Dame running back for 3 years and zero playoffs. If next year's group falls short, then I'm walking away from this program until the proper changes are made, which in my case might be forever. I've been around long enough to see where we have been, and now where we are today. Just tired of hoping and having expectations that don't pan out.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:14 PM, PackAttack said:

Polk played at Texas Tech for one season in 2020, starting seven of 10 games, recording 28 receptions for 264 yards and two touchdowns. In 2021, he transferred to UW He played in only three games with two starts his first year at Washington due to injury and finished with five receptions for 114 yards and a touchdown. Polk spent 2022 as the team's third receiver. He finished the year with 41 receptions for 694 yards and six touchdown. Another great year in 2023 with Huskies.

I knew he played one season at Tech, so did only three games with Wash  that yr qualified him to a redshirt yr. ?

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Man, PN I respect you like no other. Wish I could see things now through your perspective. 10-2 and 9-2 with two great players, doesn't resonate with me anymore. Any more than having a P5 Norte Dame running back for 3 years and zero playoffs. If next year's group falls short, then I'm walking away from this program until the proper changes are made, which in my case might be forever. I've been around long enough to see where we have been, and now where we are today. Just tired of hoping and having expectations that don't pan out.

Well I guess you had better get your gear together , because nothing is going too change at the top

1 minute ago, Packfan49 said:

Well I guess you had better get your gear together , because nothing is going too change at the top

What are the reasonable percentages in Texas HS football today of a coaching staff going from going 6-5, 4-6, 6-4 and 5-5 the last four years, missing the playoffs entirely the last three, to being a State contender in 2024? Just take any sport, a staff going 21-20 over four years and one 41-5 loss playoff game in 4 years?

12 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

You sure? I think he graduated in 2020 which makes the 17 football season his sophomore year. I thought I remember him playing that season 

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I definitely think they under achieved the years following 2017. They started one of those years #1. Had a really good team. Lost our QB before Lonestar and the back up. Lonestar also had 2 NFL players on that team. They just didn't lose to some guys. Now Texas High was a bad game. They had that game won several times and found a way to get beat. Texas High did have a few studs too. 

3 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

You sure? I think he graduated in 2020 which makes the 17 football season his sophomore year. I thought I remember him playing that season 

He was.

Matter of fact, he caught a TD pass against Longview in the playoffs that year and was an important offensive player for ya that year even as a sophomore.

2017 Lufkin had:

Bug Thompson, Jalynn Polk, Tre Odum, Isaiah Phillips, Malik Jackson, Jacourtney Calvin, Jeremiah Davis, Savon Fields, Hunter Hollis, Carl Williams, Braylon Garcia and Javasia Brunson.

That's alot of college players.

5 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

He was.

Matter of fact, he caught a TD pass against Longview in the playoffs that year and was an important offensive player for ya that year even as a sophomore.

2017 Lufkin had:

Bug Thompson, Jalynn Polk, Tre Odum, Isaiah Phillips, Malik Jackson, Jacourtney Calvin, Jeremiah Davis, Savon Fields, Hunter Hollis, Carl Williams, Braylon Garcia and Javasia Brunson.

That's alot of college players.

So does anyone know how their college careers faired ? I know about Polk and Thompson

U I L has announced there cut off numbers for 2024-2025 realignment years:

6A - 2275 and above

5A Division I -   1903-2274 (247 schools)

5A Division II -   1315 - 1902 (128 schools)

4A Division I -   957 - 1314 (122)

4A Division II -   545 - 956 (106)

3A Division I -   369-544 (94)

3A Division II -   254-368 (101)

2A Division I -   181.5 - 253 (100)

2A Division II -   105 - 181.4  (103)

1A Division I -   61.5 - 104.9 (78)

1A Division II -    61.4 or fewer students  (76)

Lufkin at 2159 students. Forney’s current enrollment number is 2,482, Lancaster is 2,322 and Longview is at 2,280.  McKinney North, 2,273; Tyler, 2,101; North Mesquite, 2,099; and West Mesquite, 2,083.

This new realignment would make Lufkin, Tyler, West Mesquite, North Mesquite and McKinney North remain 5A DI.

You have Red Oak at 2176?

To the South there are College Station 2209 and A&M Consolidated 2176. 

Also Barbers Hill 2092, Crosby 2090, New Caney Porter 2144, Humble Kingwood Park 1929, Beaumont Westbrook 2234, Port Arthur Memorial  2114, Baytown Sterling 2139, LaPorte 2249, Beaumont United 2138 and Angleton 2177.

We know DCTF is predicting Lufkin in a  seven team 8-5A DI district with Beaumont United, Beaumont Westbrook, Port Arthur Memorial, New Caney Porter, Humble Kingwood Park and Crosby.

Texas HS Sports prognostication is slightly different with Lufkin in a district 9-5A.  image.png

Texas HS Sports Non Football District predictions: Of course Longview will be 6A now, so some things change there where Lufkin may replace them in that North district.  We just need to wait and see. 

GAuVQrLX0AAeuug.jpg