2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

10 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

They got subs in and still trashing  Summer Creek. I thought I seen a lot of speed in that Timpson game ,but man Desoto  should be against law . There can't be many teams nation wide that could compete with how they are playing

Mater Dei, IMG and Miami Central are probably the only teams in America that could beat DeSoto.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Mater Dei, IMG and Miami Central are probably the only teams in America that could beat DeSoto.

There's a lot of great teams in the country. Including those you named just above. I think it's hard to make a comparison for the entire country. I would take the field vs Desoto if I had too. And thats not taking anything away from how good they are. Definitely the best in TX this year and would hold their own against a lot of programs. 

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

There's a lot of great teams in the country. Including those you named just above. I think it's hard to make a comparison for the entire country. I would take the field vs Desoto if I had too. And thats not taking anything away from how good they are. Definitely the best in TX this year and would hold their own against a lot of programs. 

DeSoto is for sure the best team in Texas but I'm taking Mater Dei. MD came to Texas and beat Duncanville 45-7. They stack teams like you can't do in Texas. 

image.png

Lufkin Gametime is excited to announce expanded LIVE Coverage of Lufkin Panther Athletics starting in January. Lufkin Gametime will be bringing you LIVE Video coverage of all Lufkin Basketball and Lady Pack Basketball Home District games and LIVE Audio Coverage all District Away games.
Catch all the action by downloading the Lufkin Gametime App for iOs and Android or by heading over to www.lufkingametime.com.

Going to get ready to shut down this 2023 football topic right after January 1st. Will prepare a new 2024 football topic to hopefully speak about something positive for 2024.  To be honest, I'm at  my lowest level of interest in Lufkin football since about 1995. 

The district hasn't flinched much over not making the playoffs in 3 years, or not being a real contender at all. You have to go back to 2017, Todd Quick's best playoff run as a coach, a 4th round appearance. Actually the only significant run in his 12 years as coach. Whatever the district leaders are being told by Quick, they evidently believe him. There seems to be no accountability. Guess being the AD you don't have to be?

Sorry, I'm just tired, and if not for Purple Nation talking about this 2024 groups chances, I'd probably step down and let someone else run with this forum, and take the FB and X sites, if they so desired. My faith in this current staff to build a winning playoff program in Lufkin has dried up. I'm finally fed up with the excuses these last three seasons. Mainly, Quick, Green and Cook have had their 12 year opportunity, they have failed.  

Not sure what there will be to talk about. Waiting to see our new district in February? Get the new 2024 schedule? I don't think anything different helps us, there is no proof a less competitive district helps our program's chances. They just wasted a P5 RB, Kedren Young, the last 3 years. I don't give a rip that he is the all time Lufkin rushing leader, he didn't play a single playoff game!!! Same way I feel about Jordan Moore's all time Panther QB passing yardage!!!, he was 0-2 in the playoffs. Nothing to really show for their efforts here, and people will soon forget them, because winning big in the playoffs is what seals a HS players legacy.  Not losing.

If the Pack are a contender next year, with all that talent, I will be the most surprised of anyone.  Not because we don't have the kids to contend for it, it's that Quick and Green haven't proved they can. Those guys, and Cook have one 4th round playoff appearence in 12 years. ????  I'm through waiting as a fan, as are about 2000 other season ticket and regular general admission ticket folks who have not shown up for 2022-2023 home games. 

It's time for a complete change IMO, and bringing in a coach who has the expertise to build our football program back to a playoff winner from top to bottom.

Today was signing day for a couple LP seniors, Kedren Young officially signing with Notre Dame, and Isaiah Menefee signing to play at Lamar U.

https://www.facebook.com/100064755334341/posts/pfbid02Ab3XxCyvJ2sxgYLWXQvdzHgGt96zm5zH1LYAStqCrDNKs8tyS92uXxWVxi9NHid8l/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Some nice photo exclusives by Andy Adams.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:58 PM, PackAttack said:

Going to get ready to shut down this 2023 football topic right after January 1st. Will prepare a new 2024 football topic to hopefully speak about something positive for 2024.  To be honest, I'm at  my lowest level of interest in Lufkin football since about 1995. 

The district hasn't flinched much over not making the playoffs in 3 years, or not being a real contender at all. You have to go back to 2017, Todd Quick's best playoff run as a coach, a 4th round appearance. Actually the only significant run in his 12 years as coach. Whatever the district leaders are being told by Quick, they evidently believe him. There seems to be no accountability. Guess being the AD you don't have to be?

Sorry, I'm just tired, and if not for Purple Nation talking about this 2024 groups chances, I'd probably step down and let someone else run with this forum, and take the FB and X sites, if they so desired. My faith in this current staff to build a winning playoff program in Lufkin has dried up. I'm finally fed up with the excuses these last three seasons. Mainly, Quick, Green and Cook have had their 12 year opportunity, they have failed.  

Not sure what there will be to talk about. Waiting to see our new district in February? Get the new 2024 schedule? I don't think anything different helps us, there is no proof a less competitive district helps our program's chances. They just wasted a P5 RB, Kedren Young, the last 3 years. I don't give a rip that he is the all time Lufkin rushing leader, he didn't play a single playoff game!!! Same way I feel about Jordan Moore's all time Panther QB passing yardage!!!, he was 0-2 in the playoffs. Nothing to really show for their efforts here, and people will soon forget them, because winning big in the playoffs is what seals a HS players legacy.  Not losing.

If the Pack are a contender next year, with all that talent, I will be the most surprised of anyone.  Not because we don't have the kids to contend for it, it's that Quick and Green haven't proved they can. Those guys, and Cook have one 4th round playoff appearence in 12 years. ????  I'm through waiting as a fan, as are about 2000 other season ticket and regular general admission ticket folks who have not shown up for 2022-2023 home games. 

It's time for a complete change IMO, and bringing in a coach who has the expertise to build our football program back to a playoff winner from top to bottom.

I think they will definitely be better next season. Just to much returning talent. We will have a legitimate duel threat QB. I think not having Kedren will force Green to open up the passing game and I like that.

42 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think they will definitely be better next season. Just to much returning talent. We will have a legitimate duel threat QB. I think not having Kedren will force Green to open up the passing game and I like that.

It will be a challenge to replace the likes of P5 RB in Young, Menefee, Brayden Murphy and a few offensive lineman were also seniors 

55 minutes ago, Jack Walker said:

It will be a challenge to replace the likes of P5 RB in Young, Menefee, Brayden Murphy and a few offensive lineman were also seniors 

We do have a 1st team district wr coming back and two good slots and another good wide out . Definitely will miss murph

1 hour ago, Jack Walker said:

The defense is going to be much better they return 9 kids and did a pretty decent job against Lancaster without Menefee. We will definitely be fine at WR the 2 best ones are coming back. Kedren they won't be able to replace but I think it's a good thing we will get back to throwing the ball around. They will clearly be a better team next season without question.

24 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

The defense is going to be much better they return 9 kids and did a pretty decent job against Lancaster without Menefee. We will definitely be fine at WR the 2 best ones are coming back. Kedren they won't be able to replace but I think it's a good thing we will get back to throwing the ball around. They will clearly be a better team next season without question.

I don’t think you can say it was 2 better WRs than Murphy this last season. Potentially could be but off production he was the #1 with Preston at #2 we also have to talk about the Offensive line because it wasn’t the best and we still gotta replace 3 guys but I hope they’re better but you never know with how things been turning out 

1 hour ago, Jack Walker said:

I don’t think you can say it was 2 better WRs than Murphy this last season. Potentially could be but off production he was the #1 with Preston at #2 we also have to talk about the Offensive line because it wasn’t the best and we still gotta replace 3 guys but I hope they’re better but you never know with how things been turning out 

Preston clearly better and I would personally take Kevo over Murphy. That's just me. Hooper and Waters will round out the rotation. I like it. Gio is supposed to be back next year at LT. 

I hear all of you, hear you loud and clear. You can SEE the talent on the field, there is little doubt its there. The team will be better next season, should be better. However, you also know that is not the main issue we face.

Right now, just want to wish everyone a safe and happy Merry Christmas. 

Hopefully by February I'll  be minimally ready to discuss our 2024-25 district set up, and the season ahead in general. Maybe a few more scholarships will be signed. Questions like, will Wallace return? Looking at a possible schedule for 2024?

Plenty of time to wait to see how all of that pans out. May be some surprise things happen we don't anticipate. 

Merry Christmas!

17 hours ago, mr. b said:

Wallace seems to have found his spot in 6a in Houston.  2nd team all district running back as a sophomore.  All district academic team.  Can’t see them messing with success to come back to LP.  

Well, there had been a bunch of talk the past year or so about him returning after Young graduated. Whether they stay or go or transfer, or don't transfer back doesn't surprise me around here now. 

On 12/22/2023 at 2:46 PM, mr. b said:

Wallace seems to have found his spot in 6a in Houston.  2nd team all district running back as a sophomore.  All district academic team.  Can’t see them messing with success to come back to LP.  

This is pretty much how I see it. I don't know his family situation, other than he was running with the wrong crowd here. He's doing well in and outside of the classroom. No need to comeback here and be around the same people your parents wanted you away from. Plus Lufkin has nothing to offer. It would be different if the football program was on the upswing. Why comeback in the midst of a 3 year playoff drought? And there's no guarantee Green will utilize him correctly.We assume Green will give the kid the ball. But that makes too much sense, so why risk it?

12 hours ago, timeout! said:

This is pretty much how I see it. I don't know his family situation, other than he was running with the wrong crowd here. He's doing well in and outside of the classroom. No need to comeback here and be around the same people your parents wanted you away from. Plus Lufkin has nothing to offer. It would be different if the football program was on the upswing. Why comeback in the midst of a 3 year playoff drought? And there's no guarantee Green will utilize him correctly. We assume Green will give the kid the ball. But that makes too much sense, so why risk it?

Wallace just need to be in a place where he is most successful and safe as a person, and as an athlete, if that is the road he chooses to remain. 

Lufkin does offer more than people say, more than enough if you want really to look for it. it's just like any city, you can make good and bad choices for friends, family or jobs wherever you live.  Plus we are a stones throw away from the Houston-Conroe - Tyler Metros to have more to do if you want, then easily return to our country style living. I know, I've done it. Most of OUR CHOICES are on us the individual, to make your life wherever it may be.  If people or family are a bad influence on me, I stay away, I make friends with folks who are a better influence on my life. If you have the right education and right experience, there are good paying jobs in the Lufkin area, there are just not a plethora of them.  There are many well to do people in this City and County. I grew up here, lived the bulk of my life here. Had a great income paying career and rewarding life here in Lufkin, always made the attempt to chose my associations wisely.  You can't win them all though.

Folks can get in just as much trouble down in Conroe-The Woodlands or up in Tyler-Longview as you can right here in Lufkin, if people don't choose their associations wisely. You only have one life, you can't make it hanging around folks who influence you poorly, and that may include some family.

I hear the hanging around the wrong friends and influences quote a bunch, well 80% of the time, that is a persons choice, there are always some avenue, even if it's just one opportunity to not pursue that route.  I've made many of those difficult decisions in my life with friends, and family!!  I've been in some dangerous and precarious places and situations earlier in my life, so I have a clear understanding that certain things put upon a person's life are totally not in their control. It's a miracle I'm still here at all. Some of those events are hard to put into words, and some critical encounters need to be forgotten forever.  Just saying from my perspective, in most of these hanging around the wrong crowd cases,  it's a persons own decision to stay or walk away from those bad influences, there is always at least one choice to walk away from it. Wallace did that, but in his case had to leave the bad influences that existed in Lufkin for a better situation down in The Woodlands.  Not always that easy for most.

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Wallace just need to be in a place where he is most successful and safe as a person, and as an athlete, if that is the road he chooses to remain. 

Lufkin does offer more than people say, more than enough if you want really to look for it. it's just like any city, you can make good and bad choices for friends, family or jobs wherever you live.  Plus we are a stones throw away from the Houston-Conroe - Tyler Metros to have more to do if you want, then easily return to our country style living. I know, I've done it. Most of OUR CHOICES are on us the individual, to make your life wherever it may be.  If people or family are a bad influence on me, I stay away, I make friends with folks who are a better influence on my life. If you have the right education and right experience, there are good paying jobs in the Lufkin area, there are just not a plethora of them.  There are many well to do people in this City and County. I grew up here, lived the bulk of my life here. Had a great income paying career and rewarding life here in Lufkin, always made the attempt to chose my associations wisely.  You can't win them all though.

Folks can get in just as much trouble down in Conroe-The Woodlands or up in Tyler-Longview as you can right here in Lufkin, if people don't choose their associations wisely. You only have one life, you can't make it hanging around folks who influence you poorly, and that may include some family.

I hear the hanging around the wrong friends and influences quote a bunch, well 80% of the time, that is a persons choice, there are always some avenue, even if it's just one opportunity to not pursue that route.  I've made many of those difficult decisions in my life with friends, and family!!  I've been in some dangerous and precarious places and situations earlier in my life, so I have a clear understanding that certain things put upon a person's life are totally not in their control. It's a miracle I'm still here at all. Some of those events are hard to put into words, and some critical encounters need to be forgotten forever.  Just saying from my perspective, in most of these hanging around the wrong crowd cases,  it's a persons own decision to stay or walk away from those bad influences, there is always at least one choice to walk away from it. Wallace did that, but in his case had to leave the bad influences that existed in Lufkin for a better situation down in The Woodlands.  Not always that easy for most.

Well said PA. I want to clarify my comment about Lufkin has nothing to offer.  It was only directed toward the current state of the football program and not the city itself. 

On 12/27/2023 at 2:37 AM, timeout! said:

This is pretty much how I see it. I don't know his family situation, other than he was running with the wrong crowd here. He's doing well in and outside of the classroom. No need to comeback here and be around the same people your parents wanted you away from. Plus Lufkin has nothing to offer. It would be different if the football program was on the upswing. Why comeback in the midst of a 3 year playoff drought? And there's no guarantee Green will utilize him correctly.We assume Green will give the kid the ball. But that makes too much sense, so why risk it?

Because they were 2-8 and will likely win about 2 games next season. Dad says the OC is worse then Green lol.