2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

We embark on another year of football will many promises for improvement and getting back to the playoffs after a two year absence for the Panthers.  Many here, including myself, have discussed for two years now the up and coming talent from the freshman and sophomore ranks.  Some of this we witnessed in 2022 although the team still finished 6-4 and out of the playoffs.  There are even more expectations from this group in 2023, 2024 and 2025.  Of course that is yet to be seen, and our hope is this talent will prove out to be the outstanding group we all expect them to be the next few years..  

2023 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE - ALL Friday games:

Aug 18th - Huntsville @ Huntsville ISD Stadium - SCRIMMAGE

Aug 25th - Tyler Legacy @ Abe Martin Stadium - 7:30 PM

Sept 1st - Nacogdoches @ Dragon Stadium - 7:30 PM

Sept 8th - A&M Consolidated @ Abe Martin Stadium - 7:30 PM

Sept 15th - Longview @ Lobo Stadium - 7:30 PM

Sept 22nd - Forney @ Abe Martin Stadium - 7:30 PM

Sept 29th - OPEN WEEK

Oct 6th - North Mesquite @ Mesquite Memorial Stadium - 7:00 PM

Oct 13th - McKinney North @ Abe Martin Stadium - 7:30 PM

Oct 20th - Tyler High @ Christus TMF Rose Stadium - 7:00 PM

Oct 27th - West Mesquite @ Abe Martin Stadium - 7:30 PM

Nov 3rd - Lancaster @ Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium - 7:30 PM

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/1/2023 at 11:28 AM, PackAttack said:

Sure wish we could have seen him at Texas or TCU. Congratulations to Mikal headed to the U of H. Many former Panthers passed through the Bill Yeoman - Houston Cougar football program back in the 1970s and 1980s, when former Lufkin Dunbar Head Coach Elmer Redd was an assistant coach at the U of H.

Thank you. TCU was a close 2nd. I would had loved to see the Longhorns myself but Houston made him a priority. Going to be fun.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:49 AM, PackAttack said:

Starting to see the DI talent emerging in the Panther football roster with RB Kedren Young (Colorado State, Purdue, Texas Tech, Arizona, Tulane, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Louisiana Tech and UTSA) and DT Zion Williams ( Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and UTSA)  picking up multiple scholarship offers from P5 schools and more to follow. 

You guys please let us know if there are any other current Panthers getting scholarship offers.

Cam Lister signed with Henderson St. As for the up and comers they will have a few more down the road. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:13 PM, PurpleNation said:

Thank you. TCU was a close 2nd. I would had loved to see the Longhorns myself but Houston made him a priority. Going to be fun.

Congrats to Mikal. I wish him all the best moving forward. UH got a good one 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:19 PM, LufkinPack said:

Congrats to Mikal. I wish him all the best moving forward. UH got a good one 

Appreciate it. If he plays as good as a kid he is. He is going to show out. 

•  

A tough video to watch: Forney was obviously the more physical team that night.  Forney will be a force again in the district this season, they are a well coached program on the rise, they will be a good challenge for Lufkin at home in 2023.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/02/07/lufkin-football-coach-pleased-with-younger-players-off-season/

Coach Quick says the young guys are stepping up to lead in the off season and they are ready to get to Spring ball this year.  Expressed the kids are having a great off season and "are getting bigger, stronger and faster". 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

https://www.ktre.com/2023/02/07/lufkin-football-coach-pleased-with-younger-players-off-season/

Coach Quick says the young guys are stepping up to lead in the off season and they are ready to get to Spring ball this year.  Expressed the kids are having a great off season and "are getting bigger, stronger and faster". 

Ah yes. The annual “we’re getting better and ready for ball” off season speech 🙄

We were young in 2020, 2021, 2022 and now 2023 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Ah yes. The annual “we’re getting better and ready for ball” off season speech 🙄

We were young in 2020, 2021, 2022 and now 2023 🤣🤣

The only thing different in the video is Quick looks older than 4 years ago.  ;) That happens to all of us.  I know he says many of the same things, all coaches do.  There is just so much vernacular you can use talking about football. I do believe this year will be better than the last two. The talent will be there no doubt. So, we will just have to see how everything turns out.  I expect Young to have another outstanding year running the ball.  The defense will be better and return many starters, so those are all positives to look for from these kids in the next couple of years.  

https://www.facebook.com/98152175409/posts/pfbid0RxgDXTx5T53MgTjpWcGZ2AM8xNJDc44iRKpXAefwUpgkFXyVcNW3wQRstqUQ5Addl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Melissa is growing like Frisco. SMH on these nice stadiums popping up and we still have a cracker box for a Press Box. Hope Lufkin can rectify that situation soon, the rest I can live with for now.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Lmao. True. All jokes aside. I am excited for this particular young group. I know it is what it is as far as the other issues are concerned. 

There are situations that exist no one can do anything about and we have discussed that to death, so I will not mention that very much in the future.  We have talked about them for years.  The groups that are moving up through the Varsity program onward toward 2025 should provide Lufkin the talent and ability to not miss the playoffs the next few years and possibly have some playoff games.  You have to like what you saw from the sophomore and junior group on Varsity last season and the talent that was on the JV and Freshman squads.  I know several folks like PurpleNation and Pack007 are excited about this group, as is Todd Quick.  He has expressed his excitement to that end several times in the last year or two, the coaching staff fully understands what they have and what will be coming into the Varsity program. Better times ahead.

We have talked about QB T J Hammond and his full healing from his injury in the Lancaster game. This is his highlight reel from the past couple of year, looking to 2023 as a senior player.

https://www.facebook.com/JAMdigitalproductions/videos/565388628925735/

If you notice, T J is getting hit in at least 50% of those highlight passes.  You can imagine what it was like on those plays that were not considered for the highlight reel. If T.J.  has a better OL in 2023 he will have greater success than last year.  I don't know who #57 was last year, but he had a tough time in this video. 

Sad day for Panther Nation as long time athletic secretary Ms Jennifer Galloway passed away last evening. She ran the show for many years starting back when John Outlaw was AD/HC and continued with AD/HC Todd Quick afterward. Jennifer was a huge part of our Panther Family. Thoughts and prayers are with her family.

As long as the football team is winning fans have something to say .bad season they live the golf team.lol  last season on that three game winning streak everyone had an opinion.all I'm going to say is this will be the year  not saying State but definitely will be a contender and playoffs I still have panther pride class of 85...

Just now, Lennie said:

As long as the football team is winning fans have something to say .bad season they live the golf team.lol  last season on that three game winning streak everyone had an opinion.all I'm going to say is this will be the year  not saying State but definitely will be a contender and playoffs I still have panther pride class of 85...

Like lol new glasses 

On 2/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, LufkinPack said:

Whatever success this program sees over the next couple of seasons will have nothing to do with this staff. It will have everything to do with the kids coming through. My stance stands the same whether we go 1 round in or 5 rounds deep. 

Just like every other season. Its almost like players matter. Like yall have ridiculed me for saying the last 5 years. It has always been about the players coming through.

20 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

Just like every other season. Its almost like players matter. Like yall have ridiculed me for saying the last 5 years. It has always been about the players coming through.

That's all that matters at the end of the day. Lufkin starting to cycle back up. They're going to be a problem next season. Especially when teams think 6-4 Lufkin is showing up. They're gonna be able to play with Longview next year. 0 doubt.

19 hours ago, Pack13 said:

This team will go has far as the legs of Kedren Young can take them. 

I agree but they have some legitimate weapons at WR. I think the offense will ultimately hinge on QB play. Maybe Gavin can unseat Hammond and completely break the offense open. I also think the defense has a chance to be a really good unit. Going to have some youth but some good ones. 

On 2/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, LufkinPack said:

Whatever success this program sees over the next couple of seasons will have nothing to do with this staff. It will have everything to do with the kids coming through. My stance stands the same whether we go 1 round in or 5 rounds deep. 

I have to side with you on this one. Of course the players make a difference. The question with Lufkin is what will they do with all that talent. This staff has consistently underachieved. If they finish 5-5..They prob had enough to finish 7-3 or 8-2..I don’t care if they go 0-10..That just means they had enough to go 3-7 but still found a way to lose every game. Lol

This will probably be the most talented group Quick has coached during his tenure as HC. A  8-2 finish and at least 2 playoff wins should be within reach for this group. If not a lot more. 

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

That's all that matters at the end of the day. Lufkin starting to cycle back up. They're going to be a problem next season. Especially when teams think 6-4 Lufkin is showing up. They're gonna be able to play with Longview next year. 0 doubt.

I agree with you about Gavin. I mentioned last year how I felt the scales tipped in our favor once he entered the game against Lancaster. I don’t think they had an answer for him. We may pull that one out if we another qtr of play. I still think Hammonds will be the starter. Too much experience for him not be. He just needs better protection and some decedent play calling.

There is a good chance we are competitive against Longview. The question is can we actually beat them in their house? If not, then it’s just Lufkin doing what we have mostly done against Longview when we have talent. And that’s be competitive, but still not have enough to beat them. To me it’s still just keeping the status quo. Now if we go up there and beat them in their house. Then we have something to talk about.

Lufkin will have some dawgs on the team. Just hope they are able to reach their full potential.

7 hours ago, timeout! said:

I agree with you about Gavin. I mentioned last year how I felt the scales tipped in our favor once he entered the game against Lancaster. I don’t think they had an answer for him. We may pull that one out if we another qtr of play. I still think Hammonds will be the starter. Too much experience for him not be. He just needs better protection and some decedent play calling.

There is a good chance we are competitive against Longview. The question is can we actually beat them in their house? If not, then it’s just Lufkin doing what we have mostly done against Longview when we have talent. And that’s be competitive, but still not have enough to beat them. To me it’s still just keeping the status quo. Now if we go up there and beat them in their house. Then we have something to talk about.

Lufkin will have some dawgs on the team. Just hope they are able to reach their full potential.

I still give Longview the nod because they will be an older team but I'm expecting it to be a good game. Now the following season. I'd put money on Lufkin over Longview and won't think twice.

Wow North Shore Coach Surprise move to be  LB coach at Rice. I know he has nothing  left to prove there anymore just surprised it’s Rice though not UH or another big time school. 

Kay’s departure brings an end to one of the most successful runs of a head coach in the Houston area. He posted an incredible 117-18 record in nine seasons, includiing state championships in 2015, 2018, 2019 and 2021.