2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Jack Walker said:

Where did u see me mention Young name 

Denton Ryan won state last year with a 40.52 I believe. 10th place was 42.02. Longview finished 5th with a 41.5. Lufkin ran 42.48(Without Young) in Nac last week. The question is how much can they trim from that time. 

6 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Mentioning without young is fair. Kid has clearly focused on speed this last year and would benefit the relay. If he has time to come back and run this year we will see. 

He is the fastest 100m kid at Lufkin followed by Kevo. He will definitely give the relay a boost. Just based on his 100m time last year. They probably run 41.8 or 9 with him vs the 42.48 they ran in Nac. Now if he can get it down to a legitimate 10.5 Lazer now we're in that 41.5 range. That could put them in the state relay.

22 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

He is the fastest 100m kid at Lufkin followed by Kevo. He will definitely give the relay a boost. Just based on his 100m time last year. They probably run 41.8 or 9 with him vs the 42.48 they ran in Nac. Now if he can get it down to a legitimate 10.5 Lazer now we're in that 41.5 range. That could put them in the state relay.

Completely agree. I think he could have gone 10.6 on the laser but coming off a hamstring I don’t know if he will be able to dial it up fast enough. I wouldn’t risk the hamstring. Kevo has some great speed. He will be sun 11 soon and that’s moving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well talk about a little football.  Spring football practice is a month away and there seems to be an heightened thought of expectation for this 2023 group.  Many who have been speaking to this end the past two years say this is just the beginning for this group, that there will be improvements that will get even better for 2024 and 2025.   

We know who is returning from the 2023 team, DI players like RB Kedren Young, S Isaiah Menefee and DT Zion Williams.  Possibly more on the way.  

QB position with T J Hammond returning is set. We do not know if there will be a competition there or not, whether Gavin Phillips will still play the QB position, or with his size, be moved to another position. 

Guess we will see several things with Spring practice. As always, I want to see each player put in the best position to make the Panther team the most successful.

You guys know I have some reservations in some areas of the program, hopefully the talent will supersede what they are given to be successful.  To be honest, I'm looking forward to seeing what evolves.  

Don't have a track topic so might as well talk about it here.

A strong contingent of track teams converged on John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium with the Longview Lobos and Lady Lobos winning the meet, followed by the Panthers and Lady Panthers.

Longview had enough to outlast Lufkin in the boys team division, outscoring the Panthers 181-159.

The Lady Lobos outdistanced Lufkin on the girls side by a total of 206-120. Hudson was third with 119 points.

Evan Young was stellar for the Lufkin boys as he raced to championships in the 110-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles. Grant Ashby took the title in the 800-meter run with Omarion Scott racing to the 400-meter championship.

The Panthers’ 1,600-meter relay team of Scott, Mike Mosley, Ashby and Alec Forney coasted to the championship. Mosley also took first place in the long jump.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/longview-clips-lufkin-in-ross-relays/article_c947c390-f32c-5402-b3b0-ec2cb7727cd6.html

On the girls side, Mattie Nicholson won a tight 100-meter race over Longview’s Aniah Stansell.

Lufkin’s Roxanna Riojas won the 400-meter dash.

Varsity boys Scoring

Team

1. Longview, 181; 2. Lufkin, 159; 3. Carthage, 95; 4. Hudson, 94; 5. Center, 50; 6. Crockett, 32.

Varsity Girls scoring

Team

1. Longview, 206; 2. Lufkin 120; 3. Hudson, 119; 4. Carthage, 100; 5. Center, 66.

15 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

All I’m seeing is Longview is still miles ahead. We might have some girls coming in but Lufkin doesn’t train speed.  I saw today Harker Heights’ 4X100 ran 41.72. That’s fast. They also went 4 rounds deep in football. We have to step up. 

Agreed 

19 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

All I’m seeing is Longview is still miles ahead. We might have some girls coming in but Lufkin doesn’t train speed.  I saw today Harker Heights’ 4X100 ran 41.72. That’s fast. They also went 4 rounds deep in football. We have to step up. 

Coach Green is your Track coach.

2 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Harker Heights has about a 1000 more kids then Lufkin and they have Deubre Hood who goes about 10.3 in the 100 and honestly 41.72 isn't really that fast. My son 4x1 took 6th in state 2 years ago with a 40.96. Im just saying Harker Heights may not be the best example and having a fast 4x1 has 0 to do with football.

12 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Harker Heights has about a 1000 more kids then Lufkin and they have Deubre Hood who goes about 10.3 in the 100 and honestly 41.72 isn't really that fast. My son 4x1 took 6th in state 2 years ago with a 40.96. Im just saying Harker Heights may not be the best example and having a fast 4x1 has 0 to do with football.

It’s got tons to do with it. When have they ever been anything athletically? They haven’t. They are building it. Do go sub 42 it means most likely they have 4 guys sub 11. Do we have one? More often than not fast track teams precede good football teams. FB Marshall was the same way a couple of years ago. You are defending saying it’s not that fast. We are slow in track. Our powerlifting team hosted two meets. Lost to Huntington in one and Central in the other. So we haven’t had a good showing of athletic strength or speed this spring. But you still argue with me kids are being developed. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

It’s got tons to do with it. When have they ever been anything athletically? They haven’t. They are building it. Do go sub 42 it means most likely they have 4 guys sub 11. Do we have one? More often than not fast track teams precede good football teams. FB Marshall was the same way a couple of years ago. You are defending saying it’s not that fast. We are slow in track. Our powerlifting team hosted two meets. Lost to Huntington in one and Central in the other. So we haven’t had a good showing of athletic strength or speed this spring. But you still argue with me kids are being developed. 

0 to do with football. Manor won the 5A 4x1 last year and they went 7-4 and btw no high school track program is developing 10.3 100m kids. Kids like that either just have it or train outside of school and have been developed well before HS. I've been told you we probably had 1 kid that could go sub 11 but you don't have to go sub 11 to be a good football player. The kid from Harker Heights that runs a 10.3 is going to Arkansas St to play football. I'm just saying not exactly a world beater. Reggie McNeal was gonna run a 10.3 no matter who the coach was. EJ Shankle was gonna run a 21.4 200m no matter the coach. Btw Big Gavin ran 11.5 100m that is absurd for somebody his size. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

Our powerlifting team had 2 guys go to state.

You want to keep living in this fantasy world that great football teams don’t develop their athletes. Speed can be build. Not 10.3 but sub 11 easily enough. Speed translates to all aspects of the game. We don’t have true top end speed in most positions. We don’t have high level acceleration because our athletes haven’t learned to generate the force needed to get to top speed quickly. The line can’t drive people off the ball because of underdeveloped hip strength required to be explosive. All of which are athletic qualities shown in track and field. Yes two went to state. But one weighs 132 and the other can’t make a hole on the left side of the line in the game depended on it. Kids should NOT have to go else where to be developed. That’s something that should be able to be fixed in school especially with the length of class periods Lufkin has. You are telling me right now Central, no football playing Central has a stronger overall powerlifting team than Lufkin. That’s embarrassing 

12 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

You want to keep living in this fantasy world that great football teams don’t develop their athletes. Speed can be build. Not 10.3 but sub 11 easily enough. Speed translates to all aspects of the game. We don’t have true top end speed in most positions. We don’t have high level acceleration because our athletes haven’t learned to generate the force needed to get to top speed quickly. The line can’t drive people off the ball because of underdeveloped hip strength required to be explosive. All of which are athletic qualities shown in track and field. Yes two went to state. But one weighs 132 and the other can’t make a hole on the left side of the line in the game depended on it. Kids should NOT have to go else where to be developed. That’s something that should be able to be fixed in school especially with the length of class periods Lufkin has. You are telling me right now Central, no football playing Central has a stronger overall powerlifting team than Lufkin. That’s embarrassing 

Love it on point 

54 minutes ago, Jack Walker said:

We had different kids go to different powerlifting meets at the beginning to see who’s set in stone to be on the team going forward. He weighs 132 but benches 300 so trying to downplay a kid of lufkin going to state is crazy

I’m not down playing a kid going to state. I’m saying how many 130 pound football players do we have? I’m saying team strength was it there? That’s awesome he benched 300. 5 total benched that much. So by the second meet Lufkin held on 2/15 that team should have been set and they didn’t come close to being Central. Again we are talking team strength and speed. Do we have it? Yes or no?