2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

There has to have been more circumstances to this, for a 3A to beat a 5A in powerlifting.

Look at the list of lifters and tell me who was missing or who would have made a difference? We are talking a varsity football team that probably has more boys than all of central athletics combined 

http://www.thspa.us/meetdetail.aspx?passedDivisionID=6651

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

Look at the list of lifters and tell me who was missing or who would have made a difference? We are talking a varsity football team that probably has more boys than all of central athletics combined 

Although we had 1st place finishers, 13 lifters are not many for a 5A school and not the majority of the football team. I'm just going to choose to not read too much into this, for several reasons. 

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Although we had 1st place finishers, 13 lifters are not many for a 5A school and not the majority of the football team. I'm just going to choose to not read too much into this, for several reasons. 

Powerlifting team is 12 lifters. So teams are even sizes. 

8 hours ago, Pack13 said:

You want to keep living in this fantasy world that great football teams don’t develop their athletes. Speed can be build. Not 10.3 but sub 11 easily enough. Speed translates to all aspects of the game. We don’t have true top end speed in most positions. We don’t have high level acceleration because our athletes haven’t learned to generate the force needed to get to top speed quickly. The line can’t drive people off the ball because of underdeveloped hip strength required to be explosive. All of which are athletic qualities shown in track and field. Yes two went to state. But one weighs 132 and the other can’t make a hole on the left side of the line in the game depended on it. Kids should NOT have to go else where to be developed. That’s something that should be able to be fixed in school especially with the length of class periods Lufkin has. You are telling me right now Central, no football playing Central has a stronger overall powerlifting team than Lufkin. That’s embarrassing 

Dude we weren't good in power lifting or have a state qualifying 4x1 and we went 14-1. The Foreman kid use to kill us in power lifting meets. I asked my son if the workouts are hard and if he feels like he's getting better and he says yes. Once again you don't have to run sub 11 to be a good football player. Matter in fact more kids do not run sub 11 that are 4 stars then then ones that do. A kid may run a 11 flat but have a shuttle of 4.2. A lot more plays into it then just running really fast in a straight line. Shankle was faster then Keke Coutee but who was a better WR? They have 3 kids in the program that currently hold D1 offers and another 6 to 7 that will get next level looks. So they must be doing something right. 

4 hours ago, Pack13 said:

A kid from Lufkin literally has the most weight on their lol

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Power lifting and Track for the most part is an individual sport. Lufkin isn't trying to win a power lifting meet. Most kids don't even want to do it. Same with track. Sure they score team points but it's more about the individual then school. My sophomore or JR year we lost a varsity track meet to Nacogdoches. Trust me it doesn't matter as much as we think. Im not saying it doesn't help but we've had fast 4x1's and not have a good team.

This isn’t back in the day. I don’t remember saying D1 kids need to be track stars. I said the team needs to show athletic improvement and many good track teams show that. Talent can get you far but we are lacking it. Yes kedren is a great threat but if we don’t have receivers with developed speed the safeties will play down like they did this year. Yes menefee is a great safety but there are three other DBs that need to be out there too. Do hard workouts mean effective workouts? Sure running 20 110s is hard but what does that do for speed? Sure squatting heavy is hard but is it translating on the field? The question again isn’t are they working hard. It’s are they getting better? 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

This isn’t back in the day. I don’t remember saying D1 kids need to be track stars. I said the team needs to show athletic improvement and many good track teams show that. Talent can get you far but we are lacking it. Yes kedren is a great threat but if we don’t have receivers with developed speed the safeties will play down like they did this year. Yes menefee is a great safety but there are three other DBs that need to be out there too. Do hard workouts mean effective workouts? Sure running 20 110s is hard but what does that do for speed? Sure squatting heavy is hard but is it translating on the field? The question again isn’t are they working hard. It’s are they getting better? 

And you judge athletic improvement on a 4x1 time 😂 then without the fastest kid? Then you referenced a 41.7 as some standard time with Harker Heights when in reality it's an ok time nothing special. Lufkin with Kedren could probably run that time if not faster. 

We can agree to disagree. My argument is still athletic development and those are sports, especially track that shows off athletes. You say we aren’t good at track or powerlifting. That’s true. We aren’t good at football either. That’s true. So again what are they doing to build athletes. They don’t have a strength coach on staff. Many schools are moving in that direction. The weight rooms of many teams are becoming state of the art. What has Lufkin poured  into theirs? What made you good 20 years ago won’t make you good today. High school sports is evolving. Is Lufkin evolving with it?

18 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

We can agree to disagree. My argument is still athletic development and those are sports, especially track that shows off athletes. You say we aren’t good at track or powerlifting. That’s true. We aren’t good at football either. That’s true. So again what are they doing to build athletes. They don’t have a strength coach on staff. Many schools are moving in that direction. The weight rooms of many teams are becoming state of the art. What has Lufkin poured  into theirs? What made you good 20 years ago won’t make you good today. High school sports is evolving. Is Lufkin evolving with it?

I don’t disagree that Lufkin struggles to develop their athletes. But alot of the top players for top programs out there don’t get developed because of their school. It’s what they are doing outside of their school. More baseball and softball kids are recruited off of tournament teams than they are playing ball for a school. I know 4 kids playing D1 baseball right now that never stepped foot in a public high school. 

Which is HIGHLY unfortunate for the kids who don’t have parents that can afford all of that or for the ones that just don’t have the time. If I could go back in time, I would never allow my 3 kids to play a sport. They are too invested now to change that lol 

36 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Lufkin was State of the Art back in 2005, with their brand new indoor workout facility. Not many schools our size had one of those back then, thanks to John Outlaw and efforts by the Lufkin Sideliners with Coca Cola. It's sort of outdated now, although there are still tons of schools today that don't have an indoor. Much in Texas HS football has changed in the State since Outlaw passed on, much has stayed the same in Lufkin football. Of course past Panther football success of 20 years ago have little bearing on today. Our community is about the same size as 2005, lots of big industry has gone in that time, the high school is about the same size as 2005. Other school districts we play against have grown and expanded, we hardly play our district opponents more than 2-4 year before we get moved around and into another set of new district opponents. IMO we have not done a great job of keeping up the past 4 years. Many have said it's a lack of talent, some say it's coaching, some blame the school board. I think it's a combination of all three.  It's more than track times or powerlifting numbers. Texas HS football has evolved in the last 10-15 years, there is no doubt in my mind Lufkin has some catching up to do, and with this talked about talent coming on board, the leadership of this Lufkin football program has a lot still to prove. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin was State of the Art back in 2005, with their brand new indoor workout facility. Not many schools our size had one of those back then, thanks to John Outlaw and efforts by the Lufkin Sideliners with Coca Cola. It's sort of outdated now, although there are still tons of schools today that don't have an indoor. Much in Texas HS football has changed in the State since Outlaw passed on, much has stayed the same in Lufkin football. Of course past Panther football success of 20 years ago have little bearing on today. Our community is about the same size as 2005, lots of big industry has gone in that time, the high school is about the same size as 2005. Other school districts we play against have grown and expanded, we hardly play our district opponents more than 2-4 year before we get moved around and into another set of new district opponents. IMO we have not done a great job of keeping up the past 4 years. Many have said it's a lack of talent, some say it's coaching, some blame the school board. I think it's a combination of all three.  It's more than track times or powerlifting numbers. Texas HS football has evolved in the last 10-15 years, there is no doubt in my mind Lufkin has some catching up to do, and with this talked about talent coming on board, the leadership of this Lufkin football program has a lot still to prove. 

Our facilities are still plenty good enough. South Oak Cliff facilities are not anything special.

6 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I don’t remember Lufkin being stellar in track or power lifting in my high school days. (02-06).. And those are the days we all miss for this program. Maybe I’m forgetting something @PurpleNation ? Either way, there are many people out there that believe speed is what makes a good football player. That’s crazy thinking. 

And track and football speed are 2 different things. Take Demetrius Davis for example that won 3 state titles at NS. He runs a 4.8 and couldn't break a sub 11 100m on a good day. But he had a shuttle that was like a 4.0 which means the kid can stop and change direction with little wasted movement. So on the football field he looked so much faster because the game isn't played in a straight line. And notice not 1 person said they would take Shankle over Coutee. 

Track practice should be mandatory because it does help you become a better athlete and it does help but just because a kid doesn't run 10.3 doesn't mean they're not getting better and that will translate over to lack of football success 

6 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

We need football season to hurry up and get here so we can stop arguing about track times 😂. We can start the usual wtf did we do that for arguing. 

I believe they will prove all of us right. I am looking forward to spring ball at least 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

We need football season to hurry up and get here so we can stop arguing about track times 😂. We can start the usual wtf did we do that for arguing. 

Yea, let the season come on. However, I'm no longer in the wondering WHY something is or isn't done mode any longer. I've seen it all and played it all, nothing surprises me. I just want to see football and every sports program on campus doing everything possible to win titles. Whatever it takes, to go as far as possible with the kids you have playing. I've never been one for moral victories or giving congratulations on a 4-6 season. I wasn't brought up that way or taught that way. Even today as an old man, IF I get you on a BB court, I'll do my very best to beat your ass, not that I can. Whatever happens, I'll shake your hand afterwards and we'll go get a hamburger at Ray's. I don't like to lose. I don't like to see Panther football lose.

3 hours ago, mr. b said:

I heard yesterday that Coach cook has applied for a different job within the district.   Not sure if that means he is giving up his football position. 

Well, if true, I wish him the best at his next endeavor.

Lufkin boys did defeat Longview in the Lobo Relays a couple weeks ago. 

LOBO RELAY FINAL STANDINGS

Varsity Boys
1. Marshall 105
2. Hallsville 93.5
3. Lufkin 92
4. Longview 91
5. Tyler Legacy 69.5
6. Mount Pleasant 68
7. Nacogdoches 31
8. Kilgore 29
9. Pine Tree 28
10. Harmony 10