2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

23 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I'm looking at all the possible scenarios for realignment. Lufkin being in a weak vs strong district and who we could possibly matchup with if we qualify for playoffs. The UIL will do UIL things and Lufkin will have to deal with whatever hand it's dealt. No matter how things shake out. Coach Quick and the team will have to beat some good teams. There is no way around that. You can take your medicine in district, during the playoffs or both. But you gonna have to prove yourself worthy at some point.

The really good programs look forward to proving themselves worthy. They take on all challengers and never look for an easy route to success. Duncanville wants nothing more, than to get another crack at North Shore. I'm sure NS feels the same, and prob would prefer a crack at Desoto. Unfortunately for Desoto, they won't get a chance to play NS. But will have plenty of teams lined up to knock them out. Longview is much the same. Their fans would love to be in a district with Desoto again.

No matter what happens with Lufkin. Everything will play out next year one way or another. Is it possible to miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year? 

With DeSoto apparently opting up. I don't think it matters where they put us but in Region 3 who scares you before the title game? DeSoto would of been the only team in 5A I look at and just can't see a way. Highland Park doesn't scare me like that. Aledo will be the challenge but they ain't DeSoto. Pre district I imagine will be Longview, Consolidated and Nac and possibly 1 more based on how the district shakes. In district PAM is probably the best team we face maybe Barbers Hill if they're in our district. So it's not like we won't play anyone. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

There's no excuse next season. This is gonna be the best team they've had since 2017 and I think they're better then that team. This is the most experienced SR heavy team Lufkin has had in the Quick era. 

When it happens, it will be the best news I've seen around here since 2017.

DCTF has Forney (12-1) a +4 point favorite over Lancaster (8-5)

Two District 7-5A DI teams playing for the Regional Championship.  IMO both are good enough to beat everyone else in 5A DI except Aledo.  One very good team will be eliminated this week.

The 2A regional finals game between Garrison and Timpson is tonight at 7 p.m in Nacogdoches at SFA’s Homer Bryce Stadium. Should be a good game to watch if anyone needs a HS football fix.

Forney 43 Lancaster 41  OT Final

AMC 24 Smithson Valley 31 Final

Huntsville 14 PNG 24 Final 

Good run by the Hornets.

Aledo 56 Abilene 21 Final

Forney and Aledo next week in the semifinals.

22 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Forney 43 Lancaster 41  OT Final

AMC 24 Smithson Valley 31 Final

Huntsville 14 PNG 24 Final 

Good run by the Hornets.

Aledo 56 Abilene 21 Final

Forney and Aledo next week in the semifinals.

Some really good teams lost tonight. Forney and Lancaster had another classic. 

3 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Some really good teams lost tonight. Forney and Lancaster had another classic. 

Yep. Bet both Lancaster and Forney are better than Brownsville Memorial or Smithson Valley. Of course Longview would probably beat both too. Don't think anyone is as good as Aledo.

Gilmer beat Carthage 47-44 in overtime on a QB sack and fumble. Breaks Carthage 29 game winning streak.

A ton of great game match ups tonight, several really good teams ended their season. How tough it is to win a title.

46 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Gilmer beat Carthage 47-44 in overtime on a QB sack and fumble. Breaks Carthage 29 game winning streak.

A ton of great game match ups tonight, several really good teams ended their season. How tough it is to win a title.

Wow!! Thought Carthage had control of that one. Happy for Gilmer though..I remember watching them lose a close one to Carthage last year. They get some redemption this year.

5 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Washington knocks off Oregon. Polk will have chance for a national title. I'm happy for the kid. Transferring from Texas Tech to Washington was a great decision.

Yep, compared to where TT is today and how Polk has grown at Washington is like night and day. We never used Polk enough here, just like Dez and other great players at Lufkin. 

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

So was Polk reshirted at some point ? Because he is listed as a Sophmore

Polk played at Texas Tech for one season in 2020, starting seven of 10 games, recording 28 receptions for 264 yards and two touchdowns. In 2021, he transferred to UW He played in only three games with two starts his first year at Washington due to injury and finished with five receptions for 114 yards and a touchdown. Polk spent 2022 as the team's third receiver. He finished the year with 41 receptions for 694 yards and six touchdown. Another great year in 2023 with Huskies.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Have to put them in the playoffs. Vegas has them the betting favorite over Alabama and Georgia for the last spot. I hope Texas draws Michigan first. Easy game.

I agree with you, TEXAS should be in the CPS, however I have no faith in the NCAA selection committee to leave out an SEC team, likely Alabama.  Saban has influence , so it would not surprise me at all if Texas or Florida St are left out and Alabama or George are allowed in.