2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PurpleNation I apologize man. The longer these playoffs have gone on and seeing what our district is doing and what Lufkin was able to do against these teams (except Longview) it really is a testament to the talent level we had and the talent level of this district. I know our coaching flaws hurt us, but when you say not being in this district will help us next season I’m backing that claim 100%. 

1 hour ago, Chadalac05 said:

Sure hate to see that Longview lost. 

image.png

We would be too if we ever have a team like that again.  The mountain climb is hard enough, it has to be perfect, some luck and hope injuries don't happen to your key people. Hard to beat good teams twice. Fans are understandably pissed. They LOVE King until he loses, then they want his head on a platter,  even some extremist are say they should have never hired him. He has won a bunch there, more than any other Longview coach. I wouldn't argue if they were coaching here, it's hard to be a HS coach, even in Lufkin. B)

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

image.png

We would be too if we ever have a team like that again.  The mountain climb is hard enough, it has to be perfect, some luck and hope injuries don't happen to your key people. Hard to beat good teams twice. Fans are understandably pissed. They LOVE King until he loses, then they want his head on a platter,  even some extremist are say they should have never hired him. He has won a bunch there, more than any other Longview coach. I wouldn't argue if they were coaching here, it's hard to be a HS coach, even in Lufkin. B)

Yeah that lost hurts deep. That one guy ,the former player was talking about how deep the defense was and the run game just wears  opponent's down  in later quarters.  But when you lose on a field goal with seconds running down is a gut punch. But in 4,5 and 6A ball you got to have more than just a run game,because good teams will shut it down

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

@PurpleNation I apologize man. The longer these playoffs have gone on and seeing what our district is doing and what Lufkin was able to do against these teams (except Longview) it really is a testament to the talent level we had and the talent level of this district. I know our coaching flaws hurt us, but when you say not being in this district will help us next season I’m backing that claim 100%. 

They're going to be very good next season. The offense may have its moments they look lost but overall to have a QB that can make off script plays will be beneficial. If Lufkin would had beaten Lancaster then they probably get to the 3rd Rd. Not sure they could have beaten Longview without Tatum but it would of been a much better game

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

image.png

Fans calling for Kings head is crazy. But I can also remember some fans here calling for Outlaw head, after losses to SLC. The expectations are still high in Longview. It comes with any program that has a winning tradition. Not sure who their fans would want to replace him with. He's already one of the best coaches in the state. Felt the same way about Outlaw during the early 00s. The only thorn in is back was Todd Dodge/SLC at the time. Outside of swapping him out for Dodge, not sure you could find too many other coaches better than him. 

44 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

My son sent me this earlier this morning that is circulating in their group chat. Pretty sure this is the Padilla projection. I like it. Lufkin should be a problem for all these guys next season.

IMG_20231125_102549_01.jpg

I think that would be a solid district for competition. Especially for the current state of Lufkin football. I still wouldn't put us down as a district champ or playoff lock just yet. Barbers Hill is looking good, they had young team this year. Crosby is usually pretty good. They struggle some moving up a classification last realignment. PAM has had some good teams the last couple of years and will be talented. What going on with Beaumont United? Thought they move up to 6A last realignment.

It's hard to say how good or bad some of those teams will be. Just going on what I already know about a few. Things are always fluid near the bigger city schools. Coaches and kids are always on the move from one place to the next. 

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

Fans calling for Kings head is crazy. But I can also remember some fans here calling for Outlaw head, after losses to SLC. The expectations are still high in Longview. It comes with any program that has a winning tradition. Not sure who their fans would want to replace him with. He's already one of the best coaches in the state. Felt the same way about Outlaw during the early 00s. The only thorn in is back was Todd Dodge/SLC at the time. Outside of swapping him out for Dodge, not sure you could find too many other coaches better than him. 

The only thing I faulted Outlaw on calling a pass play when you inside the ten and you have the best running back in the state. Don't know if Green was the OC, if Outlaw should have over ruled it.

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

My son sent me this earlier this morning that is circulating in their group chat. Pretty sure this is the Padilla projection. I like it. Lufkin should be a problem for all these guys next season.

IMG_20231125_102549_01.jpg

Best of anything we could hope for, and we don't go back North.😎

4 hours ago, timeout! said:

I think that would be a solid district for competition. Especially for the current state of Lufkin football. I still wouldn't put us down as a district champ or playoff lock just yet. Barbers Hill is looking good, they had young team this year. Crosby is usually pretty good. They struggle some moving up a classification last realignment. PAM has had some good teams the last couple of years and will be talented. What going on with Beaumont United? Thought they move up to 6A last realignment.

It's hard to say how good or bad some of those teams will be. Just going on what I already know about a few. Things are always fluid near the bigger city schools. Coaches and kids are always on the move from one place to the next. 

Definitely a solid district. Not nearly as tough as what we've had these last two years.

12 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

The only thing I faulted Outlaw on calling a pass play when you inside the ten and you have the best running back in the state. Don't know if Green was the OC, if Outlaw should have over ruled it.

I was the right tackle that year please don't remind I get chills thinking about that game all the time we should have been back to back state Champs 

19 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Rick Cullum was the OC at Lufkin in 2001 and 2002.  He left after the 2002 season to be HC at Willis in 2003.  Scott Green then became OC at Lufkin in 2003. Rick Cullum is now OC for Arkansas High in Texarkana, Ark. Cullum 55, has coached at OC Pleasant Grove, OC Pottsboro, OC Sherman, OC Lufkin, HC Willis and OC Liberty-Eylau.

54 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Rick Cullum was the OC at Lufkin in 2001 and 2002.  He left after the 2002 season to be HC at Willis in 2003.  Scott Green then became OC at Lufkin in 2003. Rick Cullum is now OC for Arkansas High in Texarkana, Ark. Cullum 55, has coached at OC Pleasant Grove, OC Pottsboro, OC Sherman, OC Lufkin, HC Willis and OC Liberty-Eylau.

They need to put in a call and bring him back

21 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Now this would be interesting. This projection has Lufkin in region 3. Also DeSoto is expected not to opt up and Aledo would be back in this scenario. 

This is good set up without Crosby.  I rather not deal with Crosby. Desoto is only a two year deal in 5A DI, maybe HP too. We'll see if UIL takes a chance on 7A in the 2025 realignment. 

1 hour ago, Hitman2 said:

So, I know the other sports do not play the same teams as football, but if football was in region 3, would the rest of the sports be in region 3 as well?

Good question.

Then 8-5A DI would play 7-5A DI in the 1st Round of the playoffs:

Tyler

Red Oak

Highland Park

Desoto

North Mesquite

West Mesquite

Midlothian

Good luck playing that row the next two years. We are going to wish to have Longview back, unless Lufkin goes Region III. There is one out there that puts us in Region III.  We should be so fortunate to get out of Region II.

Longview's mock projection by DCTF puts them in 12-6A, with Forney, Mesquite, Royce City, Mesquite Horn, Tyler Legacy and North Forney, in a 7 team district.  So, Lufkin and Longview would probably be a non-district game again.  Then 12-6A would play 11-6A in the first round of the playoffs.

The mock District 11-6A is made up of Duncanville, Lancaster, South Grand Prairie, Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, Waco Midway and Waxahachie,  another 7 team district. 

This is the full Texas_HS Sports prediction for 5A DI.  We will see who is right. In this set up, Lufkin would be in 9-5A DI Region III and play District 10-5A DI in the 1st round of the playoffs. 

image.png

In the Texas_HS 6A mock up.  They have Longview in a 9 team district, which would make for only 2 non-district games.  Would the Lobos still play Marshall and Lufkin ??? Just need to see how this all plays out.  UIL is always full of surprises, however Matt Stepp has been fairly accurate the past couple of realignments.

F_vKp-kWQAAmmfI  6A 6A.png