2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be perfectly honest, I really do not get heavily into Spring practice. To me it's a time for coaches to find and put together the pieces and parts they think will be starters in the fall. That's when we see the finished product of a team.

We probably won't see K. Young, not sure he will even play the Spring game. 

They have some veterans returning, coaches know their value already, and they have been working out for many weeks before practice with pads started. The coaches already know the new guys, who they want and where. Spring practice is the building blocks time. From now until August 30th, there will be 7 on 7 and practice again in August, working to find the chemistry to play together on the same page. Really like what I see and hear moving forward to the 2023 season.

Young hasn’t touched the ball nearly all spring. Still have not seeing him run. If he can progress similarly this year the way he did last year he will be awesome. I really think he is going to break all the records. 

47 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Young hasn’t touched the ball nearly all spring. Still have not seeing him run. If he can progress similarly this year the way he did last year he will be awesome. I really think he is going to break all the records. 

I don’t think it’s anything he needs to prove to anybody .

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

To be perfectly honest, I really do not get heavily into Spring practice. To me it's a time for coaches to find and put together the pieces and parts they think will be starters in the fall. That's when we see the finished product of a team.

We probably won't see K. Young, not sure he will even play the Spring game. 

They have some veterans returning, coaches know their value already, and they have been working out for many weeks before practice with pads started. The coaches already know the new guys, who they want and where. Spring practice is the building blocks time. From now until August 30th, there will be 7 on 7 and practice again in August, working to find the chemistry to play together on the same page. Really like what I see and hear moving forward to the 2023 season.

Spring is a good chance for coaches to find depth ! 

Looks like Lancaster, Longview and Forney will be loaded again. Tyler has a new coach and they always have talent. McKinney North will be right there.  No one in that group is suspecting Lufkin to be a player in the 2023 district race. Lufkin has been out of any real playoff mix for so long, they will need to prove they belong again. Let's not fool ourselves, 7-5A is one tough district. Truth is, unless the Panther can pull off at least one win on the road against Longview or Lancaster and win at least one at home against Forney or McKinney North your still looking at fighting to make a 3rd or 4th place finish in district, maybe no playoffs. The district is that good.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Looks like Lancaster, Longview and Forney will be loaded again. Tyler has a new coach and they always have talent. McKinney North will be right there.  No one in that group is suspecting Lufkin to be a player in the 2023 district race. Lufkin has been out of any real playoff mix for so long, they will need to prove they belong again. Let's not fool ourselves, 7-5A is one tough district. Truth is, unless the Panther can pull off at least one win on the road against Longview or Lancaster and win at least one at home against Forney or McKinney North your still looking at fighting to make a 3rd or 4th place finish in district, maybe no playoffs. The district is that good.

I agree district is competitive ! But we played some bad football at times in district play.

Here we are the first part of May and all we have to talk about now is football, maybe about hiring or promoting a Volleyball coach.  Panther Spring game is Monday, May 15th, starts with JV and Freshman at 4:30 or 5 PM with the Varsity to follow about 6 PM. 

So we can see what to look forward to in August and a very tough and highly talented 7-5A football district.  Lufkin has at least one more year of this district, then hope we go back south again. Anyway, teams like Lancaster and Forney are most likely moving up to 6A depending on the designated cutoff. Longview will be on the high end of the bubble, but they have a way of counting 1/2 students that may keep them 5ADI.  Lufkin will remain 5ADI for sure.  Not sure about West and North Mesquite. McKinney North won't go 6A but they will most likely be somewhere else than with 3 East Texas schools..

Until then Lufkin will need to grind it out with the current 7-5A DI group. it will certainly bring out the best in a team every week.  Couple of extremely tough road games this year for the Panthers.   I would like PantherNation to throw a little light on how things line up.  Where is Pack007, have not heard from him in a while, hope he is doing okay.

I'm going to briefly touch on coaching trust, because I think this is a reason some members do not talk here any longer. it has become like beating a dead horse.  Most of you know how I feel, but that's about the extent of me talking about it here these days. I do think it make a difference when we play better teams, and will leave it at that.  

This is going to be a great group of kids to watch play the next couple of years and I hope they are allowed to use their full potential to be successful.  Our Superintendent Lynn Torres is stepping down in June 2024, I strongly suspect the same will happen elsewhere too.  It will be interesting to see who takes over the baseball program and who heads up the Volleyball girls moving toward the end of the 2024 school year.

1 hour ago, Webleedpurple said:

I am dying for some Lufkin Panther Football. Things seem to be on the rise with the team. If Quick decides to leave anytime soon I bet Green would be his replacement.

Good grief NO!

15 hours ago, Webleedpurple said:

I am dying for some Lufkin Panther Football. Things seem to be on the rise with the team. If Quick decides to leave anytime soon I bet Green would be his replacement.

That would give us another 10 years of the same. I said it before and will say it again. The only way Green replaces Quick. Is IF we are coming off a championship run. If it's another 3-5 years of first and second round exits. Then they will go in a different direction.

We have to move on from Outlaw/Quick/Green coaching tree at some point... The program has squeezed about as much as it can out of those guys. Coach Holmes had a lot more success at Tyler High than Quick has had here. They didn't limit themselves to people in his coaching tree when he was let go.

I consider this current group as Quick/Green last hurrah or swan dance. If they are ever gonna do something, then this is it. They have a 2-3 year window to turn the program around.

15 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Until then Lufkin will need to grind it out with the current 7-5A DI group. it will certainly bring out the best in a team every week.  Couple of extremely tough road games this year for the Panthers.   I would like PantherNation to throw a little light on how things line up.  Where is Pack007, have not heard from him in a while, hope he is doing okay.

Think he mentioned something about stepping away from the forum for  a while. Dude was fed up with much of what we have seen and discussed about the program. I'm sure he will pop back up as we get closer to the season. 

51 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Think he mentioned something about stepping away from the forum for  a while. Dude was fed up with much of what we have seen and discussed about the program. I'm sure he will pop back up as we get closer to the season. 

Let's go pack 

21 hours ago, Webleedpurple said:

🤣 if that happens I will burn everything Lufkin related that I own. Y’all think the last 11 seasons with quick was bad?? Let that Bs happen and we would be begging for those 11 years back. 

On 5/5/2023 at 9:41 PM, PackAttack said:

Here we are the first part of May and all we have to talk about now is football, maybe about hiring or promoting a Volleyball coach.  Panther Spring game is Monday, May 15th, starts with JV and Freshman at 4:30 or 5 PM with the Varsity to follow about 6 PM. 

So we can see what to look forward to in August and a very tough and highly talented 7-5A football district.  Lufkin has at least one more year of this district, then hope we go back south again. Anyway, teams like Lancaster and Forney are most likely moving up to 6A depending on the designated cutoff. Longview will be on the high end of the bubble, but they have a way of counting 1/2 students that may keep them 5ADI.  Lufkin will remain 5ADI for sure.  Not sure about West and North Mesquite. McKinney North won't go 6A but they will most likely be somewhere else than with 3 East Texas schools..

I'm going to briefly touch on coaching trust, because I think this is a reason some members do not talk here any longer. it has become like beating a dead horse.  Most of you know how I feel, but that's about the extent of me talking about it here these days. I do think it make a difference when we play better teams, and will leave it at that.  

This is going to be a great group of kids to watch play the next couple of years and I hope they are allowed to use their full potential to be successful.  Our Superintendent Lynn Torres is stepping down in June 2024, I strongly suspect the same will happen elsewhere too.  It will be interesting to see who takes over the baseball program and who heads up the Volleyball girls moving toward the end of the 2024 school year.

I’m still here reading PA. I hope all is well with you and everyone else. Just disappointed again in what happened last season, so just was taking a step back. Plus Book has more information on this current group. Not much for me to offer in offseason. 

But I’m still pulling for Pack and hope they can turn it around. I’ll also be at games next season again. Just hope some changes happen for this program in future. Tired of seeing what i watched last season and previous years. 

On 5/5/2023 at 9:41 PM, PackAttack said:

I think Longview is really the only team on the schedule we probably shouldn't beat but the rest of them I really like our chances. We get Forney and McKinney North at Abe. Lancaster on the road will be a little tricky but it's a match up I like for Lufkin. I really like what I have seen this spring. They're doing some things different on offense by using Gavin at H-Back. The secondary I think has a chance to be really good this year. I can't wait. 

6 hours ago, Pack007 said:

I’m still here reading PA. I hope all is well with you and everyone else. Just disappointed again in what happened last season, so just was taking a step back. Plus Book has more information on this current group. Not much for me to offer in offseason. 

But I’m still pulling for Pack and hope they can turn it around. I’ll also be at games next season again. Just hope some changes happen for this program in future. Tired of seeing what i watched last season and previous years. 

Great to hear from you, and hope your well. I'm still here too, had tough 2022, hope that is behind me, although still need checked every 3 months for awhile. Looking forward to the next 2 Panther seasons for sure. My perspective is a little different now. Go Pack!!

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I think Longview is really the only team on the schedule we probably shouldn't beat but the rest of them I really like our chances. We get Forney and McKinney North at Abe. Lancaster on the road will be a little tricky but it's a match up I like for Lufkin. I really like what I have seen this spring. They're doing some things different on offense by using Gavin at H-Back. The secondary I think has a chance to be really good this year. I can't wait. 

The H - Back is nice , but idk if that answers all our issues offensively !  I think play calling has to get more creative , especially if we remain in the spread offense !  

10 hours ago, Pack05 said:

The H - Back is nice , but idk if that answers all our issues offensively !  I think play calling has to get more creative , especially if we remain in the spread offense !  

I seen a double screen play during the Wednesday scrimmage that had the ball went to Gavin instead of the other back I think he probably scores. I also don't think Gavin was lined up at RB but was flexed out to the wing. Very creative play call. Need to see more of it like you said but I can honestly say it looks like they're trying to get creative. Teams that think they can put 8 in the box and stop Kedren are going to be rolling the dice with a lot of 1 on 1 mis matches. 

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I seen a double screen play during the Wednesday scrimmage that had the ball went to Gavin instead of the other back I think he probably scores. I also don't think Gavin was lined up at RB but was flexed out to the wing. Very creative play call. Need to see more of it like you said but I can honestly say it looks like they're trying to get creative. Teams that think they can put 8 in the box and stop Kedren are going to be rolling the dice with a lot of 1 on 1 mis matches. 

That’s sure what’s going to happen . They will get 1 on 1 situations this year ! Now can we capitalize to make teams pay ? QB will need to make the right read, and get ball to our playmakers on the outside.