2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

5 hours ago, Pack05 said:

What do we have this year on defense? 

Lufkin D will not be a concerned, even more talent there this year. Will be a stout crew to deal with come fall.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I agree . Has to be someone that can light a fire under these guys !

You can't be a passive nice guy playing OL.  You have got to have a dominating mindset over the guy in front of you, cause that's what they are intending to do to you as a a D lineman. Our center and left guard had a lot of issues last year. One graduated, the other was a sophomore. A year of experience should pay off.  Football is not a sport for passive people, it's very physical and tough, if the toughness is not there to excel at your best, then maybe football is not the sport for you to play.  Then again, maybe the way the game is played has changed, and I'm out of touch with the newer perspectives of how this game is played today.

57 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You can't be a passive nice guy playing OL.  You have got to have a dominating mindset over the guy in front of you, cause that's what they are intending to do to you as a a D lineman. Our center and left guard had a lot of issues last year. One graduated, the other was a sophomore. A year of experience should pay off.  Football is not a sport for passive people, it's very physical and tough, if the toughness is not there to excel at your best, then maybe football is not the sport for you to play.  Then again, maybe the way the game is played has changed, and I'm out of touch with the newer perspectives of how this game is played today.

I believe you are on point 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I totally agree! We need some big mean and nasty guys! Last year that was missing big time. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

It was the right guard Nichols was the left 

4 minutes ago, Jack Walker said:

It was center and right guard JD was the left 

Thanks, I knew it was one of the guards. I remember his number, but not going to call anyone out by number or name. Will just need to see how things shape up. Coaches are fully aware of everything needed to have a great year if that's what is desired. They certainly don't need to hear it from me.

They're gonna be good this year just how good I'm not sure yet but I can promise you unless they have significant injuries they will be able to play with just about anyone in 5A. Weapons all over the place offensively. Just have to give the QB time to make the plays but he is more then capable. Defensively they go about 2 deep nearly across the board and Zion is going to wreck just about everyone's game plan in the middle. 

On 4/30/2023 at 11:37 AM, timeout! said:

So we starting to get a clearer picture on the lineup. Now that it appears the Gavin will play some form of H-back. I assume TJ will be starter at Qb, with JJ moving up to varsity as the backup. I'm fine with that, just need to get the Oline straight.

And the WR's will be Preston, Taylor, Murphy, Hooper. Nice little rotation. I expect 20/21 personel most of the season.

10 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

What if the O-line isn’t improved much at all from the last few years, can we overcome it? I’ve seen QB’s overcome bad lines, I have my concerns with our situation. 

There have been some coaching changes, some guys have moved up and some moved to sub varsity, and some rumored to have applied for reassignment within the district. I want to see the finished project come August. I'm feeling good about things.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

There have been some coaching changes, some guys have moved up and some moved to sub varsity, and some rumored to have applied for reassignment within the district. I want to see the finished project come August. I'm feeling good about things.

One of those changes just puts a big ol smile on my face. 

Here are some lengthy results from the 5A Region II and the 6A Region I Track Meet in Arlington last week.

Lufkin boys and Lufkin girls had respectable showings at Regionals, although don't believe anyone moved to the State Finals next weekend.

https://tx.milesplit.com/meets/514657-uil-5a-region-2-uil-6a-region-1-2023/results/919507?type=formatted

11 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

What if the O-line isn’t improved much at all from the last few years, can we overcome it? I’ve seen QB’s overcome bad lines, I have my concerns with our situation. 

Question is are we athletic enough at the QB position to overcome a bad line? I’ve seen athletic QB use their legs to overcome poor blocking situations ! 

9 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Here are some lengthy results from the 5A Region II and the 6A Region I Track Meet in Arlington last week.

Lufkin boys and Lufkin girls had respectable showings at Regionals, although don't believe anyone moved to the State Finals next weekend.

https://tx.milesplit.com/meets/514657-uil-5a-region-2-uil-6a-region-1-2023/results/919507?type=formatted

Great track season pack!!!!

20 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

Question is are we athletic enough at the QB position to overcome a bad line? I’ve seen athletic QB use their legs to overcome poor blocking situations ! 

I'm believing the OL will be quite improved this year. As far as QB, I feel T J will do just fine. He has the most experience with the WRs, the team has a good backup should he be needed, so I feel confident in the current setup.

1 minute ago, Pack05 said:

I’ve heard the possibility of there being a new OL coach this year ! 

Some have mentioned this, guess we will find out soon.

14 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

They're gonna be good this year just how good I'm not sure yet but I can promise you unless they have significant injuries they will be able to play with just about anyone in 5A. Weapons all over the place offensively. Just have to give the QB time to make the plays but he is more then capable. Defensively they go about 2 deep nearly across the board and Zion is going to wreck just about everyone's game plan in the middle. 

I think the defensive front returned a lot of kids! I think secondary wise they lost some kids. Anyone know of any kids returning in secondary roles? 

35 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

I’ve heard the possibility of there being a new OL coach this year ! 

I haven’t seen a job posted for this position so I’m guessing it will be internal. Not sure I like internal hires since we don’t have a track record of winning lately. 

All I know is the returning starters and the talent moved up from last year's JV make them a more formidable defense than last year. Someone has already mentioned they are two deep on D which many teams only hope to have.  Just saying, if good things don't happen the next two years, it won't because the talent is not there.

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

All I know is the returning starters and the talent moved up from last year's JV make them a more formidable defense than last year. Someone has already mentioned they are two deep on D which many teams only hope to have.  Just saying, if good things don't happen the next two years, it won't because the talent is not there.

Yes having depth makes a huge difference! What you hope for is no drop off when you start rotating players on D. 

31 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I haven’t seen a job posted for this position so I’m guessing it will be internal. Not sure I like internal hires since we don’t have a track record of winning lately. 

I agree. I think this program needs some new outside influences at times.