2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

It's a zero sum game trying to judge yourself in spring practice. Is the defensive line that good or is the offensive line not as good. I think run blocking they got something cooking but 2 inexperienced tackles is always a concern at any level but Kedren and Gavin can  both pass block. Overall the offense is gonna be good. I think Green is onto something with how is going to use Gavin coming out the back field. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

It's a zero sum game trying to judge yourself in spring practice. Is the defensive line that good or is the offensive line not as good. I think run blocking they got something cooking but 2 inexperienced tackles is always a concern at any level but Kedren and Gavin can  both pass block. Overall the offense is gonna be good. I think Green is onto something with how is going to use Gavin coming out the back field. 

We will see, thumbs up until we see the accumulative results later in the fall. Can't  help it, I suffer with a trust issues syndrome, from too many seasons of disappointments. However, I do trust your judgement, and remain positive always, hopeful in your predictions for 2024 and 2025.

17 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

Did the kids scrimmage at field today? If so anything major that stands out ?

Yeah the defense got the better of the offense today but that was without Kedren. I'm not gonna lie Green is doing some things offensively that I think will work this year. Menefee looked really good today. Gavin made a few runs. The pass protection was pretty good. Although I think Hammond probably would had been sacked on one play. The Lufkin secondary played lights out.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

We will see, thumbs up until we see the accumulative results later in the fall. Can't help it, I suffer with a trust issues syndrome, from too many seasons of disappointments. However, I do trust your judgement, and remain positive always, hopeful in your predictions for 2024 and 2025.

I really liked what I saw from the scrimmage today. Might have some Thanksgiving football this year.

12 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah the defense got the better of the offense today but that was without Kedren. I'm not gonna lie Green is doing some things offensively that I think will work this year. Menefee looked really good today. Gavin made a few runs. The pass protection was pretty good. Although I think Hammond probably would had been sacked on one play. The Lufkin secondary played lights out.

It’s normal for defense to be ahead at this point in the year ! Unless you have tons of returning experience on offense .

Defense was really moving around. Line still worries me. They just don’t have fight in them. Also seeing them use 6 people to block 3 rushers was concerning. Didn’t see a lot of H back with Young not participating but I think it will help a lot in the season. Was disappointed Young didn’t play, I get it but always exciting to see a player like that. I thought the team speed wasn’t very impressive. Big hoop was a menace at linebacker. Dude looked the part 

33 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Defense was really moving around. Line still worries me. They just don’t have fight in them. Also seeing them use 6 people to block 3 rushers was concerning. Didn’t see a lot of H back with Young not participating but I think it will help a lot in the season. Was disappointed Young didn’t play, I get it but always exciting to see a player like that. I thought the team speed wasn’t very impressive. Big hoop was a menace at linebacker. Dude looked the part 

Sounds like similar issues with OL

1 hour ago, mrballin936 said:

Do anybody know what time is Spring ball start on May 15th 

Freshman and JV start about 4:30 - 5 PM, then Varsity about 6 PM.

12 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I thought the pass blocking was a pleasant surprise. I don't have a problem with them using 6 to block. That's 4 eligible WRs that are very capable of getting open. Gonna probably see some max protection against real aggressive teams.

14 hours ago, Pack05 said:

What new wrinkles are y’all seeing on offense besides using the H -Back . 

That's really been it so far. They ran a double screen that had he threw it to Gavin he probably scores. You can just do so much more with that h back. I'm really looking forward to it.

12 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Young doesn't need any carries this spring lol. I agree the defense was moving. Secondary was solid. My guy made some plays defensively. I thought he was clearly the best OLB on the day not including when they bumped Menefee to LB a few series. 

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Young doesn't need any carries this spring lol. I agree the defense was moving. Secondary was solid. My guy made some plays defensively. I thought he was clearly the best OLB on the day not including when they bumped Menefee to LB a few series. 

Has Menefee put on some weight in the off-season? If so, he could be a big fast ILB, if he wasn't so good at Safety.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Has Menefee put on some weight in the off-season? If so, he could be a big fast ILB, if he wasn't so good at Safety.

He looks like he has added some good weight not to much. I think in college he will grow into a ILB with the way the game is played today.