2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Anyone interested in the 5A State Track Meet results in Austin:

https://tx.milesplit.com/meets/513452-uil-state-track-and-field-meet-2023/results/933762

I have a freshmen that is at Cy Creek that tripled jumped a 45.5 this year 10 best jump nationally on milesplit for all freshmen. So now I try to follow that event lol. 

On 5/12/2023 at 4:40 PM, PurpleNation said:

One thing that the defense did different last practice was move Zion to DE and Elijah Alexander to Nose. Alexander played offensive line last year. Both of these guys require a double team. They have a chance to be really good up front.

How big is the Alexander kid? I know Zion is a big guy! 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Defense looked good for the quarter we saw. They're gonna be a solid unit this year. Preston made a couple of deep grabs. 

I’ve heard a lot about our defense . I hope they’re as good as advertised ! 

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Defense looked good for the quarter we saw. They're gonna be a solid unit this year. Preston made a couple of deep grabs. 

Not enough time to really evaluate. It is just a scrimmage and they have been pounding on each other for 3 or 4 weeks now. Young hasn't played all Spring.   Agree with what everyone has said so far, thought the defense looked as stout as I expect them to be.  Some big guys in the middle that are going to be hard to move out, LB are bigger this year too.  Liked what I saw.  Offense has possibilities, they will have the RBs, H-backs and WRs to put points on the board.  I want to see the OL and QB more.  Tried to evaluate T J a little bit comparing him to the last two years. Not sure I could see anything different in the 30 minutes we had to watch.  He did complete 2 or 3 nice long throws that were on target and not 50/50 balls.  Not much jumped out in such a short time and hit me between the eyes to make me go WOW. Now we wait for August.

Defense looked good. Line actually pass protected better than I thought they would. I think the qb rolled out a little premature some plays. Receivers didn’t have a ton of separation but made contested catches and I like to see that. Overall not bad but the offense worries me still. 

14 hours ago, Pack05 said:

Good number of kids! I’m sure some will be JV 

Counted a total of 130  listed on the roster.  That's a 65 player split between JV and Varsity, those are adequate numbers. A team never plays more than the top 40 - 45 players most of the time.  The rest are mainly practice and JV players trying to earn playing time.  They look to have good depth on the defense, can't speak to the offense, not enough time to evaluate. I counted only 24 Seniors for next season.

The incoming freshmen group should be in the neighborhood of 75 or 80. So that will give Lufkin 205-210 in the program.  Thinks that is a nice increase from the past 2 or 3 years.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/05/16/lufkin-panther-spring-football-game-gets-delayed/

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - It was a really good turnout tonight as the fans came out to get a sneak peek of next of years Lufkin Panther football team.

Starting quarterback TJ Hammond showing off his arm with this nice long completion down the field. In fact Panthers would show good signs on both sides of the ball. Panther running back Demarkus Chin makes a good effort here before he’s stopped by a pack of purple. Here’s Lufkin head coach Todd Quick on what he saw.

“Well we we’ve been at this is our 18 day,” he said. “So we’ve we’ve seen quite a bit what we want to see, but kids playing hard trying to make plays and you know we got the game jerseys on we’re here at Abe and they’re gonna fly around so real happy with the effort.”

After the first quarter lightning and storm activity in the area would put a delay on things, but spirits remain high for the 2023 Lufkin Panthers.

The varsity cheerleaders said, “football season is our favorite season because we get to be on the sidelines supporting our team. Go big purple!”

Copyright 2023 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Last night the guys starting on the Panther OL were LT #50 Tavorian Foreman JR, LG #79 Jordan Nichols SR, Center #52 Mathew Chavez SR, RG #57 Geovanni Villegas JR and RT #55 Daniel Torres JR.

Their classification listed is for next school year in August.

PurpleNation was correct, Zion Williams, Elijah Alexander are huge players on the line for DT, add in Brenden Baker.

Is Elijah Hurts related to Roger Hurts who played for the Pack back in 2004-2005, then played at Harding U in Searcy Arkansas?  Roger is living in Searcy Arkansas today and runs his own construction company.

15 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

PurpleNation was correct, Zion Williams, Elijah Alexander are huge players on the line for DT, add in Brenden Baker.

Is Elijah Hurts related to Roger Hurts who played for the Pack back in 2004-2005, then played at Harding U in Searcy Arkansas?  Roger is living in Searcy Arkansas today and runs his own construction company.

I'm sure all the Hurts are related somehow here lol

Zion and Alexander both looked good. Lufkin will be able to win the LOS on defense this year

32 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm sure all the Hurts are related somehow here lol

Zion and Alexander both looked good. Lufkin will be able to win the LOS on defense this year

That huge Lufkin line will be tough to move, they have a great rotation there. DE have good size and speed, LBs are a little bigger this year.  The Lufkin front 7 will be tough to run on next year.  Not worried about the secondary either.  The D will be the dominated side of the team to start the year.  No doubt the Lufkin O willl be good too.  TJ will be fine and Javion Johnson looked pretty good to at QB in the short time we had to watch. It's great to have a really good back up.

Someone tell me more about this Wallace kid people have been talking about. I assume he will be a freshman because he was not listed on the roster last night or played on the freshman team last season.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

That huge Lufkin line will be tough to move, they have a great rotation there. DE have good size and speed, LBs are a little bigger this year.  The Lufkin front 7 will be tough to run on next year.  Not worried about the secondary either.  The D will be the dominated side of the team to start the year.  No doubt the Lufkin O willl be good too.  TJ will be fine and Javion Johnson looked pretty good to at QB in the short time we had to watch. It's great to have a really good back up.

Someone tell me more about this Wallace kid people have been talking about. I assume he will be a freshman because he was not listed on the roster last night or played on the freshman team last season.

Also talked to someone about the Lufkin Panther marching band last night, a student that plays on the drum line. He says there will be about 200 in the band this year.  The numbers have been down the past two years, it will be good to see the numbers up again.  The Lufkin Panther band plays a pivotal part in the atmosphere and entertainment during the football season, the band and the football compliment each other.  

Coach Quick did not seem to indicate a time for 7 on 7 this Summer. He mentioned getting back to work the 1st of June, offseason work and mandatory working in the weightroom.

Have some of the new UIL practice rulings taken edge off 7 on 7 competitions?

Most football talk on the back burner again until August. Maybe we see Season Tickets late July.

It seems odd headed into Graduation with no sports in action in late May.

On 5/16/2023 at 9:27 AM, PackAttack said:

That kid is still at Grand Oaks. 

10 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

That kid is still at Grand Oaks. 

That's right, you have talked about him a few times here. Personal issues to work out. Didn't you mention he was coming back to Lufkin in 2024? Why would he do that after playing two years at Grand Oaks? Remind me what position he plays.  Would he be a Junior or Senior?