2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

On 6/6/2023 at 3:09 PM, PackAttack said:

Well, they have a Varsity coaches who handle other positions working with powerlifting and strength training. Last season it was OLC Jeff Cook, DE Coach Chris Van Horn, DB Coach Sterling Stewart and WR Coach James Carver in those positions. Do not know if any of that has changed for 2023, but that's four coaches handling the weight training.

Unless a HS hires one of those college level strength and conditioning guys it's not gonna really matter. A kid has to want to get developed. I think people are delusional is they think the talent is the same as early 2000's it's not even close. This group is easily the most talented group since 2017 and I expect that level of play.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/6/2023 at 3:23 PM, pack98 said:

Congrats to Young. Texas fan myself but ND is a great school to prepare for the NFL or life after Football. 

PA,

With the transfer portal you have to get your spot locked in when you can.  

I agree. It is definately a different world out there for NCAA with NIL and transfer portals. Didn't have or could not do that back in my day, if you transferred to another school, the transferee had to sit out the whole next school year. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Unless a HS hires one of those college level strength and conditioning guys it's not gonna really matter. A kid has to want to get developed. I think people are delusional is they think the talent is the same as early 2000's it's not even close. This group is easily the most talented group since 2017 and I expect that level of play.

You are totally correct. Been saying that all along, and comparing to the 2017 group is a perfect analogy.

17 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I agree. It is definately a different world out there for NCAA with NIL and transfer portals. Didn't have or could not do that back in my day, if you transferred to another school, the transferee had to sit out the whole next school year. 

I blame the NCAA for this wild wild west of college football. They didn't care if the kids got payed as long as it wasn't coming out of their pocket and now with a super league on the horizon. The NCAA might be in its last days of controlling the power schools. 

Longview does not have a QB issue. Tutt did better than most out there, and they have some really good WR who actually run routes. 

Lufkin beat the Whitehouse B squad, played North Forney better and close (their best showing of the day defensively) and I won't discuss the Mt Pleasant game.  Most here know  I don't put much stock in 7 on 7 being an indicator or how 11 on 11 will go down in a season.  I will get in trouble for my thoughts based on today, so I won't, because I think Lufkin will operate much differently in the fall than in 7 on 7, with everyone participating.  Then again, some things just stay the same, SMH. 

North Forney and Crandall qualify for State in the Tyler SQT with an undefeated records.

State Qualifying Round

Crandall 13, Terrell 7

North Forney 21, Rockwall 20

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Longview does not have a QB issue. Tutt did better than most out there, and they have some really good WR who actually run routes. 

Lufkin beat the Whitehouse B squad, played North Forney better and close (their best showing of the day defensively) and I won't discuss the Mt Pleasant game.  Most here know  I don't put much stock in 7 on 7 being an indicator or how 11 on 11 will go down in a season.  I will get in trouble for my thoughts based on today, so I won't, because I think Lufkin will operate much differently in the fall than in 7 on 7, with everyone participating.  Then again, some things just stay the same, SMH. 

Yeah 7 on 7 is such a wild card. Lufkin strength is the defensive line on defense. Offensively they didn't have Kedren and he matters more when the pads come on anyway. Not surprised My.Pleasant got on them early. Lufkin doesn't even practice 7 on 7 like that. So not surprised either to see them get better as the day goes on. Gave North Forney the best game which also means absolutely nothing.

I haven't seen Tutt play that I can remember. I saw the JV kid last year and he was ok. Not a kid you have to game plan for. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah 7 on 7 is such a wild card. Lufkin strength is the defensive line on defense. Offensively they didn't have Kedren and he matters more when the pads come on anyway. Not surprised My.Pleasant got on them early. Lufkin doesn't even practice 7 on 7 like that. So not surprised either to see them get better as the day goes on. Gave North Forney the best game which also means absolutely nothing.

I don’t remember seeing Young play 7 on 7 last year. Does he just not like it?

3 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Just to put it out there. I have witnessed 7 on 7 played for years and years now, all the way back to the McNeal years. I can't tell you how many key starting athletes were hurt at the State 7 on 7 played in College Station over those 20+ years that either could not start the football season, or were out completely for the upcoming season because of those injuries. About 8-10 come to mind, and two were playing against Lufkin when those injuries happen.  Some were seniors who never got to finish their time with their respected teams. One of the worst was Conroe's starting RB back in 2006 or 2007 who torn up his ACL on a slightly wet grass field playing against the Panthers. E J Shankle was playing, so that may give folks a  time frame. Lufkin never lost a player in 7 on 7 that I remember. I just think your taking a big chance for injury in allowing your best players to play 7 on 7.

There is a definite unevenness about 7 on 7 play.  Some teams run their usual passing offense that they will operate in the fall, while other teams run a 7 on 7 offense like they are running screens on a basketball court, lots of dink and dunk play. 

So, it can end up an unfair evaluation, like the Mt Pleasant game, where they did a bunch of that 7 on 7 stuff and Lufkin just wasn't awake to start.  North Forney was defensive effort on both sides. Lufkin did play better and had some opportunities to score a couple more times, NF actually ran an offense like Lufkin did.  WH #2 was mostly JV players or split team that played Lufkin. Just a team to fill out the mandatory 16 teams for the SQT.  Tyler Legacy also had a #2 team there.

Don't know if Lufkin plans to play any other SQT this month to qualify for State, not a big deal in my book if they do or don't.  Good for the two QBs to get in some time connecting with their WR group under competition from other teams. I have some thoughts that I will keep to myself, don't need to say anything.  Probably about 3 or 4 games into the season, nothing will need to be said, because it will all work it's way out to become clear.   

3 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Did Lufkin field a 7 on 7 team last year? Was it 2 years ago they didn't field one. When Big Jeff stopped doing it the 7 on 7 hasn't been the same since. I just couldn't see it giving Young any benefit to play it. He's a between the tackles back with home run speed. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

There is a definite unevenness about 7 on 7 play.  Some teams run their usual passing offense that they will operate in the fall, while other teams run a 7 on 7 offense like they are running screens on a basketball court, lots of dink and dunk play. 

So, it can end up an unfair evaluation, like the Mt Pleasant game, where they did a bunch of that 7 on 7 stuff and Lufkin just wasn't awake to start.  North Forney was defensive effort on both sides. Lufkin did play better and had some opportunities to score a couple more times, NF actually ran an offense like Lufkin did.  WH #2 was mostly JV players or split team that played Lufkin. Just a team to fill out the mandatory 16 teams for the SQT.  Tyler Legacy also had a #2 team there.

Don't know if Lufkin plans to play any other SQT this month to qualify for State, not a big deal in my book if they do or don't.  Good for the two QBs to get in some time connecting with their WR group under competition from other teams. I have some thoughts that I will keep to myself, don't need to say anything.  Probably about 3 or 4 games into the season, nothing will need to be said, because it will all work it's way out to become clear.   

I have a good idea to what you're alluding to and I am with you on it. I still think they can have a very good season.

I also agree about teams running offense just for 7 on 7 that they won't run during the season. I don't wanna call it junk offenses but it's not gonna work in real football.

Also don't think Lufkin plays another tournament. They just don't care about this anymore. 7 on 7 has turned into a club thing for the elite kids. 

48 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I have a good idea to what you're alluding to and I am with you on it. I still think they can have a very good season.

I also agree about teams running offense just for 7 on 7 that they won't run during the season. I don't wanna call it junk offenses but it's not gonna work in real football.

Also don't think Lufkin plays another tournament. They just don't care about this anymore. 7 on 7 has turned into a club thing for the elite kids. 

Just saying some things are obvious to me, and you too. Going into this season, Lufkin looks to be a 60-70% run team and carefully mixing in some timely passing to take pressure off that run game. Lufkin definitely has some good WRs to have success. The offensive set up looks predicated on using Young a lot, sprinkle in runs and swing passes to Phillips to keep people honest.  Not trying to single out WR Taylor as THE guy, because there is plenty of speed and talent in that WRs corps. However, IMO Taylor must touch the football at least 6 or 7 times a game, not counting special teams.  Not having an RPO guy at QB gives this offense a different look.  Success is predicated on Young staying healthy, and T J managing the game without the INTs.  IF something happens either one, what then??   We all know Green, if the original plan gets disrupted, what then?   Do you stick with it all using your backup guys?  IMO you must.  Who will be the backup QB on the Varsity? I assume Phillips.  Hey, I'm very interested to see what all of this O looks like come August through November, because I think there is tons of skilled talent on that side of the ball for the Panthers. Some other expert needs to come in here give their prospective for the OL play.  Also how does T J look this year compared to last year?  Someone did mention he had lost some weight and had an excellent offseason. I'm very interested to see how everything pans out for this years group. Offensively and Defensively!

26 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just saying some things are obvious to me, and you too. Going into this season, Lufkin looks to be a 60-70% run team and carefully mixing in some timely passing to take pressure off that run game. Lufkin definitely has some good WRs to have success. The offensive set up looks predicated on using Young a lot, sprinkle in runs and swing passes to Phillips to keep people honest.  Not trying to single out WR Taylor as THE guy, because there is plenty of speed and talent in that WRs corps. However, IMO Taylor must touch the football at least 6 or 7 times a game, not counting special teams.  Not having an RPO guy at QB gives this offense a different look.  Success is predicated on Young staying healthy, and T J managing the game without the INTs.  IF something happens either one, what then??   We all know Green, if the original plan gets disrupted, what then?   Do you stick with it all using your backup guys?  IMO you must.  Who will be the backup QB on the Varsity? I assume Phillips.  Hey, I'm very interested to see what all of this O looks like come August through November, because I think there is tons of skilled talent on that side of the ball for the Panthers. Some other expert needs to come in here give their prospective for the OL play.  Also how does T J look this year compared to last year?  Someone did mention he had lost some weight and had an excellent offseason. I'm very interested to see how everything pans out for this years group. Offensively and Defensively!

Phillips will probably be used as the 3rd emergency QB. The sophomore QB will be the back up and he is definitely a threat with his legs. Just has to polish the passing game a little bit. He has some D1 upside.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Phillips will probably be used as the 3rd emergency QB. The sophomore QB will be the back up and he is definitely a threat with his legs. Just has to polish the passing game a little bit. He has some D1 upside.

With this particular group, does it even make a difference if the O has an RPO QB or not?  Not trying start a discussion on this at all. RPO does not always mean better.  Just thinking about stuff. 

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

With this particular group, does it even make a difference if the O has an RPO QB or not?  Not trying start a discussion on this at all. RPO does not always mean better.  Just thinking about stuff. 

I don’t know much on RPO but I don’t think it would hurt with keeping the defense back a little. 

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I haven't seen Tutt play that I can remember. I saw the JV kid last year and he was ok. Not a kid you have to game plan for. 

Tutt is apart of the stacked SR group.

Was a magician as a freshman, this will be his 3rd year on varsity. Of course, he had been backing up Allen all of that time. There was a time when some thought he was better than Allen.

Could be in for a breakout SR year now that Allen is gone. Tutt was with baseball during the spring. '25 Mav Rowe was QB1 in his absence and looked pretty good this spring too so Longview has bodies at QB.

The JV kid you're talking about is probably 3rd best QB in the program right now...4th in terms of potential. We have an incoming Freshman that'll undoubtedly be P5.

Lufkin has all kinds of QB and RB talent coming in the next 2 or 3 years. Been told the Fresman QB has DI potential, the soph back up on Varsity Javion Johnson has DI qualities being developed, as stated by Purple Nation. Panther QB from the Panther Freshman team 2 years ago is now 6-3, 240 playing H-Back in 2023. He and Young are going to be quite the tandem at RB this year. There is also RBs Bacquari Murphy and DeMarkus Chinn. Then there is RB Devon Wallace who could be back at Lufkin next season.  Lots to look forward to again at Lufkin. Just need to see if the leadership can put it all together. We all know what John King can do.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, PackAttack said:

Good for the two QBs to get in some time connecting with their WR group under competition from other teams. I have some thoughts that I will keep to myself, don't need to say anything.  Probably about 3 or 4 games into the season, nothing will need to be said, because it will all work it's way out to become clear.   

Yep. 

18 hours ago, LPPACK said:

How long does a running qb last? look what we run, this aint college.once or twice a drive maybe. just sayin

Not saying we need a RPO QB to be successful, we definitely have the RB power to have success without T J running the ball. Although, he did surprise us a few times last year taking off on some designed stuff. That has to be carefully orchestrated to work because he is not a natural scrambler. However he does have the ability to catch a defense off gaurd 2 or 3 times a game. To me it's more about passing protection from the OL, and the lack of escape ability T J doesn't seem to have.  Not being negative at all, just the way it lays out. That's why we have Young, Phillips, Murphy and Chinn for the ground work. Its no secret that for the WR corps to be effective, T J needs the time to find them. That doesn't mean him rolling out being chased trying to find someone open or having to get rid of the ball too quick because he's about to get sacked. Those were much of the reason's for INT's last year, operating under too much pressure from lack of protection.

Again, looking forward to see what lays before this group in 2023. They will be heavily challenged in this 7-5A district, there will be no easy path. If your afraid of getting hit in the mouth, this district is not for the faint of heart player. I hope these kids really realize what is before them this year. They are a young bunch of guys, and I believe they do understand. ;)

Going to bring up my once a year SMH moment towards fixing up ABe Martin. Other schools are making nice upgrades right now, even Nacogdoches with new turf , new press box and a new press box on the Visitor side.

Tatum is installing LED lighting at their stadium. 

Sherman just passed a bond to build a brand new stadium with attached Field House. 

Last year Lufkin did install brand new concrete sidewalks and driveway around the stadium.  New LED parking lots lighting in the students parking area. They also built brand new ticket booths, and a new concrete Soccer/Football Visitors parking lot.  So, I must ease up on them a bit because all of the above was long over due.

Here is hoping plans have been made for a brand new press box, new field turf and new LED Stadium lighting in the near future.  The LED's would make a huge difference and also provide the school with a 75% savings on lighting energy used at ABE. 

My only real gripe is the scoreboard and sound system. The school needs to have them working at 100% condition anytime the place is used. If the Sideliners and the School District had used the Daktronics bid 8 years ago, instead of trying to save $25,000, the screen could be professionally maintained properly yearly. SoundTech could still handle the speaker maintenance. This should be done NOW, not later in August. BARCO was the company bid that was accepted for the screen/scoreboard in about 2015. BARCO's now out of the market for our type stadium screen the SIDELINERS purchased for ABE. This dilemma also limits parts supply. BARCO now builds Video walls, something quite unique, and somewhat on the same level as what a digital board use to be.  Link - https://www.barco.com/us-en/products/video-walls/led-video-walls  This change happen about 5 years ago, who knew this would happen. Anyway, there is a service person from the Houston area, that also sold the current unit to the Booster Club and school. If you haven't noticed,  the screen and the sound system have not been on par for at least the last two years, there has been a little something wrong with both. Maybe the district figures it out, who knows.  It 's definitely a reflection on the Lufkin district. I can't stand to see things done half butted, it looks bad, it sounds bad and it smells bad.  Hope something is in the works for ABE, it would be nice.

25 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Going to bring up my once a year SMH moment towards fixing up ABe Martin. Other schools are making nice upgrades right now, even Nacogdoches with new turf , new press box and a new press box on the Visitor side.

Tatum is installing LED lighting at their stadium. 

Sherman just passed a bond to build a brand new stadium with attached Field House. 

Last year Lufkin did install brand new concrete sidewalks and driveway around the stadium.  New LED parking lots lighting in the students parking area. They also built brand new ticket booths, and a new concrete Soccer/Football Visitors parking lot.  So, I must ease up on them a bit because all of the above was long over due.

Here is hoping plans have been made for a brand new press box, new field turf and new LED Stadium lighting in the near future.  The LED's would make a huge difference and also provide the school with a 75% savings on lighting energy used at ABE. 

My only real gripe is the scoreboard and sound system. The school needs to have them working at 100% condition anytime the place is used. If the Sideliners and the School District had used the Daktronics bid 8 years ago, instead of trying to save $25,000, the screen could be professionally maintained properly yearly. SoundTech could still handle the speaker maintenance. This should be done NOW, not later in August. BARCO was the company bid that was accepted for the screen/scoreboard in about 2015. BARCO's now out of the market for our type stadium screen the SIDELINERS purchased for ABE. This dilemma also limits parts supply. BARCO now builds Video walls, something quite unique, and somewhat on the same level as what a digital board use to be.  Link - https://www.barco.com/us-en/products/video-walls/led-video-walls  This change happen about 5 years ago, who knew this would happen. Anyway, there is a service person from the Houston area, that also sold the current unit to the Booster Club and school. If you haven't noticed,  the screen and the sound system have not been on par for at least the last two years, there has been a little something wrong with both. Maybe the district figures it out, who knows.  It 's definitely a reflection on the Lufkin district. I can't stand to see things done half butted, it looks bad, it sounds bad and it smells bad.  Hope something is in the works for ABE, it would be nice.

Just seem like we are always a step or two behind everyone else. Even when compared to smaller districts. I know I'm late on this. But was there a reason for Lufkin not to live stream the graduation this year? Not everyone was able to make it out there. I know of several people that live out of town and wanting to tune in. Jacksonville, Tyler, Longview, Nacogdoches and many other districts had live streams available. It's 2023 and shouldn't be that hard to do. It has been done here before. And don't let me get started on the contractor that ran off with the districts money several weeks ago.