2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

10 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Zone blocking was my least favorite as a lineman. I think it’s meant to mask a little of their inefficiencies. Young will be a terror this year. I just got this feeling. Kid is healthy. Another year older. Hopefully a little faster and stronger. Should be a lot of fun. 

Yeah he is in for a big season. That's why I'm glad they held him out this spring. He is going to be full go to start the season. I'm more worried about pass blocking then run blocking. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Kordell Rodgers was defensive MVP for the Montreal Alouettes last pre-season game. He had 1 INT and 3 PBUs. If he can stay healthy and keep making plays. I think the NFL will come calling. He was 2nd in the NCAA last season defending passes when targeted. He just needs a chance.

He’s listed at 175 lbs.   seems small for the nfl. 

Going make a comment here, as we are LESS than three months away from kicking off the 2023 HS football season.  I think folks in the 7-5A DI recognize Lufkin will have some better talent this coming year. However, don't  think they really believe Lufkin to be a true contender either. Several Longview fans don't, they say our our coaching staff is incapable of developing a winner. It has been said in several post so far this year, and some have been saying it for a few years now. Some Lufkin fans have express the same, so not going to lay it all on Longview folks. They certainly know what it takes to win though.

It's really hard to read what some outsiders say, and the lack of respect for the Panther program, no matter the talent on this year's roster. Granted winning at Longview and Lancaster does seem like a long haul, it is for most anyone who travel to those stadiums. 

My hope is that Lufkin can surprise the unbelievers. Some Longview fans are even saying Lufkin won't be able to beat them over the next 6 to 7 years. That's not much respect for the future of Lufkin football.

It is true there are many Lufkin doubters around, there is much to prove on many fronts. Lufkin for sure have not been Longview's equal by any stretch, and that it hard to see based on where the Lufkin program once stood 20 years ago. Just a misty memory which has faded quickly from the minds of many.  Have to believe in what PurpleNation has been saying a long time, and what I saw 2 years ago from this group. Just saying, I don't think any of this years Lufkin group are afraid to play Longview or Lancaster.

I've noticed a lot of schools are no longer playing a heavy 7 on 7 schedule. In other words, they get in a couple tourneys to try and qualify for State, and if they don't, then just go back to their offseason workouts. I think the days of just playing multiple 7 on 7  tournaments, just to be playing them, has tapered off, and maybe the new UIL rules for offseason workouts has had some emphasis there. Also, maybe a good way to avoid unnecessary injuries before a football season.

I don’t blame fans for not being worried. You see these 9th grade teams dominate and then what. Talent is here. That’s evident in the 9th grade. You don’t see it result in wins on varsity. Lufkin should be playoffs every year. Talent isn’t getting developed. Lots of guys looking elsewhere to train. Whether they can actually get to those people is different but dudes in the program see it’s not cutting it. That’s why Longview isn’t scared. They see the athletes. They are just raw though and Longview's are developed. Lots not pretend either like those kids are all going to personal trainers there. They just have a strength coach on staff whose one job is the develop athletes. Lufkin has zero. I see 5A teams starting to have two one staff. 2 3A schools in the area have strength coaches. It’s time for Lufkin to catch up with the times. 

There is no reason for Lufkin to not have a qualified full time strength and conditioning coach. No reason at all except the AD doesn't think it's important.

I’ll say Nac doesn’t have one either. There are also plenty of good football programs without one. But I think more are turning to it. You see those teams tend to be healthier with less soft tissue injuries. I think this spring has shown Lufkin is good at getting soft tissue injuries with the amount of dudes that missed time. 

14 minutes ago, LPPACK said:

5-6 year at most?

I'm going to say 7-3 at worst and 8-2 at best. Man, 7-5A is going to be some stout district. 

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I'm going to say 7-3 at worst and 8-2 at best. Man, 7-5A is going to be some stout district. 

If we go 8-2 losing to Longview and Lancaster, then get bounced in the first round, that’s just as bad as the 5-5 and 6-4 seasons imo. That’s no improvement. 

42 minutes ago, mr. b said:

Kedron Young committed to Notre Dame today.   Not too bad for a Lufkin boy.  

Congratulations.  Sure committing early. Anyway, congratulations again, not going to think out of the box on this.

21 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I've noticed a lot of schools are no longer playing a heavy 7 on 7 schedule. In other words, they get in a couple tourneys to try and qualify for State, and if they don't, then just go back to their offseason workouts. I think the days of just playing multiple 7 on 7  tournaments, just to be playing them, has tapered off, and maybe the new UIL rules for offseason workouts has had some emphasis there. Also, maybe a good way to avoid unnecessary injuries before a football season.

Yes the new rules have changed things drastically in summer !

19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

There is no reason for Lufkin to not have a qualified full time strength and conditioning coach. No reason at all except the AD doesn't think it's important.

Unless they think they have Some one capable already on staff ?

20 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I can tell right now. They do not 

Well, they have a Varsity coaches who handle other positions working with powerlifting and strength training. Last season it was OLC Jeff Cook, DE Coach Chris Van Horn, DB Coach Sterling Stewart and WR Coach James Carver in those positions. Do not know if any of that has changed for 2023, but that's four coaches handling the weight training.

Congrats to Young. Texas fan myself but ND is a great school to prepare for the NFL or life after Football. 

PA,

With the transfer portal you have to get your spot locked in when you can.  

24 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, they have a Varsity coaches who handle other positions working with powerlifting and strength training. Last season it was OLC Jeff Cook, DE Coach Chris Van Horn, DB Coach Sterling Stewart and WR Coach James Carver in those positions. Do not know if any of that has changed for 2023, but that's four coaches handling the weight training.

Powerlifting and strength training are two different things. Lifting weights and training for sports are two complete different things. More coaches doesn’t mean better. I’ve heard what they do in the weight room. Dangerously under trained is what comes to mind. 

2 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Powerlifting and strength training are two different things. Lifting weights and training for sports are two complete different things. More coaches doesn’t mean better. I’ve heard what they do in the weight room. Dangerously under trained is what comes to mind. 

Well, I don't know either. Just saying, that's what they have there.  Kids need to work hard if they want meaningful playing time. I know the coaches set required standards in the weight room. You get out of it what you put in to it.

Probably 95% of the kids or more in the Varsity  program are working hard doing the right things IMO. Their work ethic will separate them from the kids who don't put in the time, and it's why they start and play the minutes on Friday nights.

I've never held much respect for the athletes who didn't take advantage of all that was afforded to them to become a proven winner in whatever they were participating. I always held myself to a standard to do my best in workouts, preparation and in competition. Maybe I wasn't a P5 player, but I played, and that experience sure carried me a long way in my personal life.

2023 7-on-7 Texas State Qualifying Tournament in Tyler at the Tyler SQT on June 10, 2023 Tyler's Lindsey Park. Entire field and start time.

Pool Play will begin at 9:00 a.m., the state qualifying round will begin at 1:00 p.m. Pool locations are listed below. The top two teams will advance to the Division I 7-on-7 State Tournament in College Station.

Pool A

Greenville, Terrell, Tyler Legacy, Tyler Chapel Hill

Pool B

Tyler Legacy #2*, Hallsville, Crandall, Marshall

Pool C

Rockwall, Longview, Whitehouse, Garland Naaman Forest

Pool D

North Forney, Whitehouse #2*, LUFKIN, Mount Pleasant

State Qualifying Round

Pool A Winner vs Pool B Winner

Pool C Winner vs Pool D Winner