2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, PackAttack said:

No one has anything to say about these DCTF  predictions? O well I tried. 

Thanks for sharing PA. It's a waiting game at this point. I think we have the talent to grab the #3 spot. I don't see us beating Longview @ Lobo Stadium. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Quick has ever won there. And he has horrible record vs King. How many games has he won against Longview..1 or 2?

It's about the same with us going on up to Lancaster. Like Longview, they have been consistent winners. Just haven't had as much playoff success as Longview. I know we gave them a fight last year. But that was after 3 hour ride and them sleep walking through the first half. I think they expected Lufkin to just rollover. They woke up that second half. Especially after their band showed up. I don't think we will sneak up on them this year. Plus they would've already played Guyer, SOC, and Longview by the time they play Lufkin. So we won't bring anything they haven't already seen. 

With all that being said. Lufkin has more than enough talent to challenge anyone in district this year. It will be up to the coaches and players to bring it all together. Lufkin is capable of pulling some upsets, if they go in expecting to win. 

I think Longview and Lancaster are out of reach, will be attending both because I want to be wrong. I think we have a better shot at Lancaster. The rest of the games will be close. I have no idea what forney brings back. They played good team football last year and we just couldn’t get it moving.  McKinney North should have been a win last year. We get them at Abe. Young had a record night against them last year and I bet he is a little mad about them calling him “overrated”. This is just how we know we are getting closer to football season.  

Side note I have Thomas finds his way back to Lufkin when it’s time for a new head coach. 

Frankly, regardless of the talent at hand in Lufkin. I'm with PurpleNation on the uptick in talent and the Dawgs in this upcoming group. I've seen it, I fully believe it's there too. I also realize, that for at least this year, this district will be a tough row to deal with, lots of talent in this district. A least three of those district teams already have 6A enrollments. 

The facts is the last two years hauntingly hang over this program. Maybe it's the 7-4, 5-6 and 6-5 years, even though we had some decent talent those years. Some folks have said to me, our kids may be talented, but they are not prepared well enough to play the Longview's or Lancaster's. I am not going to think anything either way, cause I don't know. I only deal in result facts and won-loss records.

I also understand why people don't want to talk too much about the upcoming season, the last two years and the previous sub par years are sitting there looking at you in the face,  and honestly this staff has only proved once in 11 years they can have success, ( I never count 2012, for obvious reasons) and that was 2017. Had almost the same talent in 2018 and 2019 and fell short. There are real confidence issues here no matter the talent coming through the program currently. The question lingers. If this staff could not win before, why suddenly would we expect them to just miraculously turn it around now with this group. Don't you think it's a legit question to ask? Just saying it is for me. 

Just an FYI.  I've talked to, and have been told by a couple first hand, 2nd hand and third hand folks about this. ;) Over the years I've determined that is enough info most of the time when you meld it together, it's normally enough truth to run with it.

I did mentioned last year this was being considered, worked on, talked about and info gathered.  

The goal is to work on Abe Martin bring it up to the level where it will look very connected to the NEW PAC Facility.

They have already made some steps in that direction last year by adding NEW ticket booths, New concrete driveways and sideways around the stadium, a new concrete parking lot next to the Soccer stadium, they also added LED pole lighting to the Student parking. So, positive updates and improvements were made around Abe Martin.

There is discussion of upgrades to ABE, a new Press Box/ w elevator is #1, matching PAC fencing around stadium, new LED field lighting, New field turf  is much of the consideration and that is a good move,  It's not happening this year. Anyway it's in the wheelworks of thoughts. New pavement in the entrances up to under the stadium would be nice too.  Asking for new concession stands may be a stretch and don't want to overplay a hand here. Making sure the video board and sound system are working at top capacity would be nice, those units are only 5 or 6 years old. We have NEVER been able to get the full capacity from our sound system or video board.

No guarantees of when or if it happens, but evidently some folks inside the district are talking about the possibility for upgrades.

Just saw the new sign,maybe i have missed a little. The TJ Turner workout center. Looks good,but who knew, i didnt.Whe we need names on all this?If we did,Ronnie Blake court,Pete Runnels baseball park,TJ Lucas auditorium,no softballers or tennis famers.Need some help here PA.

Most sports facilities are almost always named posthumously around here, like Abe Martin Stadium at John Outlaw Field. Hey you can name Press Boxes and Fieldhouse's too.  Yes, I did see the T J Turner Training Center signage. The PAC is not named probably because Coach Walker is still living, or maybe they are waiting to see if McManus can win a couple before retiring.   Baseball or Softball Fields not named, although they have the Pete Runnels Tourney. I knew Pete Runnels when he was in his 40s on to the end of his life at 63 in 1991. He was an outstanding baseball player and 2nd basemen for Lufkin (6 ft, 170 lb),  played in MLB with the Washington Senators (1951-57),  Boston Red Sox(1958-62 and Houston Colt 45s (1963-64). Really good on base hitter, not a lot of power, he won the MLB title twice (1960 and 1962). He also was interim HC of the Red Sox in 1966 coaching their last 24 games of the season going 16-8. Selected a 5 time MLB All Star. I don't think any other Panther baseball player in history has come close. After retirement he helped found and operate a co-ed camp, Camp Champions in Marble Falls Texas. https://campchampions.com/

Pete Runnels and Ted Williams played together on the Red Sox.

Pete Runnels and Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox pose before the... News  Photo - Getty Images

Back to your question or statement. Don't think it necessary to name everything on campus after alumni, after all, we are the Lufkin Panthers, so LP Panther field or gym sounds just fine to me.

12 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Kedren Young is Class of 2024 -DCTF - Whataburger Super Team -  2nd Team Offense.

20230626_004502.jpg

Congrats Young! When was the last time a Panther made the Super Team? Thinking JaMarcus McFarland at DT..around 08/09 maybe. The only other player I can think of that may of made it recently is Bug Thompson. I remember one year we had 3 players on the list. Lane at RB, McKinner Dixon at DT and Alton Dixon at Safety. Heck..Leonard Hewitt may have  been on there too.

I'm going to mention this once, then just wait to see what happens. Then in November, see if my thoughts are valid or not.

There are folks out there who have already counted their chickens before the snap of any football in this 2023 district 7-5A DI race. They already have penciled in their top finish order, AND who they will be playing the 3rd round??;)

Maybe they have it figured out, and maybe they don't. Kind of like an old Chinese weather balloon B) minding its own business drifting across the blue American skies from Montana to the Atlantic Ocean. Just when think you have it made and in the clear?, WHOOSH, some F-16 comes along to drop it like a rock. YEA for the USA! Same is true for high school football.

I really believe there will be some surprises and some unexpected upsets this year. For Lufkin, they have nothing at all to lose, those kids can go all out, everything is in their favor no matter how they finish. Everyone EXPECTS Lufkin to be 5th, no threat, that's great, all thanks to the past two football seasons.  Lufkin is definitely not over valuing themselves.  

Right now, before even the first drop of sweat has happen in practice, it's all between Longview and Lancaster, with Forney right in there because of their coaching prowess and returning starters, but if you look really closely at the two front runners, all seems copesetic on paper and with their returning talent. However, both front runners each have a couple key holes to fill with a first year starter. So IMO not everything is a lock for those predicted to finish in the top two.

Like I said, we will see in November how things pan out, until then let's keep predicting who people will play in the third round. :ph34r: Go Pack!

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

How many kids on this current Panther roster have DI scholarship offers??

We know Kendren Young, Zion Williams and Isaiah Menefee.

That's it at the moment. I suspect there will be few more in the 25 and 26 class when it's all said and done. Funny how I said this was the most talented team Lufkin has had in a few years and now we have a DT with a Bama offer. I'm not just pulling this out my . Zion is a game plan wrecker. Can't wait.

40 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

We were a fumble at the 1 from going up 24 points on McKinney North. I don't think this game will be close next season. Lufkin (Kedren) should run them outta Abe. I think Forney is a better game but if Lufkin doesn't turn the ball over they gonna whip them too.

Between Kedren on offense, who should be unstoppable. I think he is coming into senior year to prove he is the best ever at Lufkin to play running back. Zion should collapse the middle of most lines. 90% of the teams we play should struggle to contain them. You see teams all the time with guys of Zion’s talents crush offense until they run into very well balanced teams. Most teams are that. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

We were a fumble at the 1 from going up 24 points on McKinney North. I don't think this game will be close next season. Lufkin (Kedren) should run them outta Abe. I think Forney is a better game but if Lufkin doesn't turn the ball over they gonna whip them too.

Then we could be looking at a possible 8-2 year.  The last 5 seasons have ended awful, one playoff win and 3 losses and a 2 year failure to even make playoffs. Now, we are depending on same coaching guys to suddenly guide this very talented group to the promised land? Am I off point here? Why am I not having the feeling of higher expectations, no matter how much talent I know exist this year and next?  Just going to need to see it happen before I believe it. Please forgive me if I can't connect the dots with our staff and the expectations of this exceptional talent to become a playoff contender again.  Believe me, I'm not trying to be negative, just looking for conclusive reasoning here to be more hopeful considering their overall 11 year track record.  There is nothing there that proves they have or can maintain that kind of success. Call me whacky for asking such?   I want to see all these present kids making a deep playoff run just as much as the next Lufkin fan. My point is there should be no excuse for not winning because they want to ride the no talent horse. I'm just tired of excuses, and no accountability for allowing the Lufkin football program to become 2nd rate, whether we like to say it or not, that is what has happen over these last 5 years, since we lost to Lone Star. Let's be real here.

You are justified in those feelings. I’m a big believe talent takes you a lot less further than it did 20 years ago. Coaches are coming up with better and better game plans. Overall athleticism of programs is rising making it harder to just win on talent alone. I think Lufkin will make the playoffs but that road gets tough fast.