2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Not much at all mentioned about Lufkin, but Stepp is really high on Longview, Lancaster and Forney.

Longview and Lancaster are expected to battle it out for the district title, and there’s a decent chance these two teams play twice in 2023. This year’s regular season meeting is in Lancaster which may give WEBO a slight edge (at least in the regular season). Forney is a good bet for the third spot as the Jackrabbits made big strides a year ago and should be even better in 2023. McKinney North got the final playoff spot in the district a year ago, but this year they’ll have to beat Lufkin and Tyler in East Texas to get into the playoffs and doing that double will be tough.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF - Stepp's 2023 Class 5A Division I Region II Outlook: 

The 2023 Texas high school football 5A Division I Region II Outlook, projecting district finishes, bi-district matchups and regional champs with teams like Longview, Lancaster, Port Arthur Memorial, Mansfield Timberview and Frisco Lone Star!!

Matt Stepp, District 7-5A DI predicted finish.

District 7-5A Division I

1. Lancaster
  2. Longview
  3. Forney
  4. Lufkin
  5. McKinney North
  6. Tyler
  7. West Mesquite
  8. North Mesquite

PROJECTED BI-DISTRICT MATCHUPS

W5 Mansfield Timberview vs F6 Sherman

R8 Barbers Hill vs T7 Forney

W6 Frisco Lone Star vs F5 Carrollton Smith

R7 Longview vs T8 Humble Kingwood Park

W7 Lancaster vs F8 La Porte

R6 Frisco Reedy vs T5 Birdville

W8 Port Arthur Memorial vs F7 Lufkin

R5 Richland vs T6 Frisco Wakeland

REGIONAL CHAMPION

Longview over Lancaster

I don't think 3rd or 4th will be a bad draw. 3rd round certainly on the table.

38 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Today was the day. My son said they got a good workout in. He said Gavin is looking lean and Young is still built like a tank. 

I’ve heard Young is getting a lot of work in on the side too. Excited to see him this fall with Gavin. Will be a great tandem. 

37 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't think 3rd or 4th will be a bad draw. 3rd round certainly on the table.

I’d rather avoid Port Aurthur memorial but I think any other matchup is in our favor. Richland in the second round would be an offensive matchup. They have a lot of talent. 

5 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I’d rather avoid Port Aurthur memorial but I think any other matchup is in our favor. Richland in the second round would be an offensive matchup. They have a lot of talent. 

Have to agree. I watched PATM play twice at Abe last year. They started the game out well against Longview and made some plays. But begin to make bonehead mistakes and the wheels came off.  It would just be another 1st round exit, if all we are only able to grab is a 4th spot finish. 

Lufkin has a lot to prove this year. I feel like we have the talent to do well this year. I think our ceiling for this year is 9-1 if we have a great year and everything just comes together. I don't see us beating Longview. Not on the road against those refs, players, and coaches. Maybe we can catch Lancaster underestimating us. A 8-2 finish would be a really good year for us too and is prob the most likely outcome if they play to their potential. I know we beat Consolidated last year, but you still cant assume thats a win. They have a really good Qb coming back and will want give us payback from last year. Several other teams we will have to earn wins against. Nothing is a given.

I like our chances this year and think we will surprise some people. Just hope the coaches can navigate the waters with the talent they have. 

27 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Have to agree. I watched PATM play twice at Abe last year. They started the game out well against Longview and had made some plays. But begin to make bonehead mistakes and the wheels came off.  It would just be another 1st round exit, if all we are only able to grab is a 4th spot finish. 

Lufkin has a lot to prove this year. I feel like we have the talent to do well this year. I think our ceiling for this year is 9-1 if we have a great year and everything just comes together. I don't see us beating Longview. Not on the road against those refs, players, and coaches. Maybe we can catch Lancaster underestimating us. A 8-2 finish would be a really good year for us too and is prob the most likely outcome if they play to their potential. I know we beat Consolidated last year, but you still cant assume thats a win. They have a really good Qb coming back and will want give us payback from last year. Several other teams we will have to earn wins against. Nothing is a given.

I like our chances this year and think we will surprise some people. Just hope the coaches can navigate the waters with the talent they have. 

One thing that has me worried pre district is every one of the teams has a new head coach. So we will probably be seeing completely different offense and defense. I do think we run the table against all non district opponents 

4 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I’d rather avoid Port Aurthur memorial

They don’t bother me that much. While always talented and loaded with speed, that’s one of the most undisciplined teams in the entire state year after year. They would make enough mistakes to give us a chance. You know what happens when you let a lesser team that has talent hang around. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:27 PM, LufkinPack said:

They don’t bother me that much. While always talented and loaded with speed, that’s one of the most undisciplined teams in the entire state year after year. They would make enough mistakes to give us a chance. You know what happens when you let a lesser team that has talent hang around. 

i agree, but id still rather us get that 3 seed at least and face Barber's Hill.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:27 PM, LufkinPack said:

I think their HC Brian Morgan is starting to turn some of that around. He took over in 2018 and they have posted at least 8 wins in 4 of his first 5 seasons. Lufkin and PATM actually have the same amount of playoff wins(6), since 2012. So there may not be too big of a difference between the programs during that span. 

If you were forced to choose. Would you bet your life savings on Quick/Green in a first round matchup with PATM? I think I know the answer..😁 Until they prove different. I'm taking the field versus Lufkin in any first round matchup for now. And it has nothing to do with the players. It's the staff I don't trust. My mind could be changed, depending on how the season unfolds. It's not set in stone we even finish in the top four. 

2023 Preseason DCTF Whataburger Super Team . There are three players from 7-5A DI this year.

RB Taylor Tatum 5'11 | 200 - LongviewTatum had a remarkable 2022 campaign, rushing for 1,891 yards and scoring 33 touchdowns, earning him 7-5A Division I Offensive MVP honors. With a dynamic slash-and-go run style, the four-star set Longview's record for most rushing touchdowns. Tatum has been offered by 40 colleges nationwide, marking him as one of the best in the nation.

DB Aaron Flowers 6'0 | 185 - ForneyFlowers has displayed versatility, playing both safety and cornerback. His body control is impressive, never wasting a movement while in reverse, and he is able to plant and change directions quickly. Flowers collected 55 tackles, six PBUs, and two INTs to earn first-team all-district honors as a junior in 2022.

DB Corian Gipson 6'1 | 175 - LancasterA skilled defensive back prospect with good height and frame, Gipson is adept at multiple roles within the secondary—a natural football player with solid instincts and body control, demonstrating awareness and a high IQ. Gipson is fearless in mixing it up against the run and relishes an opportunity to make a big stick.

7 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Tatum won’t repeat as district MVP. Flowers on the super team surprises me. 

I think Kedren has a good shot at it. If the O-line comes together this year. Tatum is still a threat though. He is good as advertised. Young is just as good in my opinion. He just doesn't have the benefit of playing behind a line and scheme like Longview.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

I think Kedren has a good shot at it. If the O-line comes together this year. Tatum is still a threat though. He is good as advertised. Young is just as good in my opinion. He just doesn't have the benefit of playing behind a line and scheme like Longview.

If the line can play well. I think we get to see Young have a really special season. We will probably also enjoy some playoff success. I’m interested to see his growth. He improved so much from sophomore to junior year. Hoping for the same thing. 

On 7/14/2023 at 11:54 PM, Pack13 said:

If the line can play well. I think we get to see Young have a really special season. We will probably also enjoy some playoff success. I’m interested to see his growth. He improved so much from sophomore to junior year. Hoping for the same thing. 

We are always concerned about the OL. Can anyone name the three best overall Panther OLs since 1995?

I'm picking 1998, 2004 and 2001 in no particular order.  Tommy Early could coach an OL.

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

We are always concerned about the OL. Any, can anyone name the three best overall Panther OLs since 1995?

I'm picking 1998, 2004 and 2001 in no particular order.  Tommy Early could coach an OL.

They are coached by one of the laziest sob’s you’ll ever meet. Of course it’s going to be a major concern 🤣😉

Coach Early was amazing. All around great guy. 

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

We are always concerned about the OL. Can anyone name the three best overall Panther OLs since 1995?

I just find it strange. Size is there. Strength appears to be there. Just want to see some road graders. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

I just find it strange. Size is there. Strength appears to be there. Just want to see some road graders. 

I'm not really speaking about this year just yet. Going to give them a chance to prove what they can do. I remember in 2002 when we played undefeated 13-0 Klein Forest in the playoffs. The Lufkin OL frustrated that KF DL so much they were fighting and getting kick out  towards the end of that game. Lufkin 38 KF 21. That was an OL, they physically whip some butt that day.

58 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I'm not really speaking about this year just yet. Going to give them a chance to prove what they can do. I remember in 2002 when we played undefeated 13-0 Klein Forest in the playoffs. The Lufkin OL frustrated that KF DL so much they were fighting and getting kick out  towards the end of that game. Lufkin 38 KF 21. That was an OL, they physically whip some butt that day.

I’m not speaking on this years either. Just what I’ve observed since watching Lufkin football. I’ve been told the OL has been at workouts everyday and putting in extra work after. So I think that’s a great sign they are taking pride in what they do. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

I’m not speaking on this years either. Just what I’ve observed since watching Lufkin football. I’ve been told the OL has been at workouts everyday and putting in extra work after. So I think that’s a great sign they are taking pride in what they do. 

All good signs of dedication and wanting to put it out there. Like to read this news.

Have a new Lufkin Youth Football league starting up this year.

https://www.facebook.com/100064322457121/posts/pfbid02XgYcPf88v9UEkRv71sm3FKbAUUDwPnodYoNgfUjXTBQE7Z132ZrfCez3S8fXTA8zl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Excited to checkout some future Panthers.

LYFL ‘23 Season Info…

This season will be Flag Football ONLY for all age groups. The age groups are 4-12. 

The registration fee for participation is $90.00 per player. All age groups are open to both Girls and Boys.

For more information regarding the season  or the league please contact Mrs. Jennifer Huffman (936-635-9730) or Ken Thomas (910-229-8427).

FB_IMG_1689558422718.jpg

Read the LDN article this morning.

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/lufkin-isds-budget-decisions-stalled-by-property-tax-deal/article_909dee4d-d0a7-588f-812b-3fa7e3dd3ebf.html

For myself as a property owner in Lufkin Texas, I'm ecstatic for the possibility of an additional $100,000 homestead exemption on my property tax payments. The Lufkin ISD seems to be in disarray over such a prospect. Maybe it's  just the unknowns of it all. The State of Texas has already told the ISDs they will not lose any revenue with this new proposal, and teachers will most likely get raises, using a substantial part the States $12.6 Billion dollar surplus. All predicated on a Statewide vote scheduled for Nov 2nd. Any property owner that votes against such a proposal is nuts IMO.  One thing to observe with the Lufkin ISD, as with many public school ISDs these days, some, not all, are overloaded with administrative positions and  salaries that could actually go to paying higher teacher salaries, or applying to infrastructure cost upgrades and upkeep. AKA - improvements to Abe Martin Stadium without a bond. Many admin positions are duplicated, or unnecessary throughout many districts.  Lowering property taxes also encourages business growth for many current businesses or those thinking about moving to Texas. Administrators never seem to want to make cuts on their salary end, and Tax payer be damned for wanting a break. Voting YES on Nov 2nd.

Read a little further on the LDN article  this answered the question. 

Staffing and stipends

Trustee Matt Knight questioned staff to student ratios for Lufkin ISD.

Knight said Longview ISD’s staff is 5% smaller than Lufkin’s — and Lufkin has 1,000 fewer students.

Daniel Spikes said there are 17 vacancies in the professional staff as of Tuesday’s meeting.

Torres suggested that the financial uncertainty may mean those positions remain vacant — and at least partially address Knight’s concern about a bloated staff roster.

The 2023 Texas High School Coaches Association Coaching School and Convention is done and drew more than 16,000 coaches to Houston for three days of fun. Now it's back to tge grind of getting ready to play the 2023 Texas HS Football season.