2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Im absolutely on it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's at the end of the day. 

A nice Quickism. ;) , and your correct for these days and times.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

This !!!

The floor is so much higher then 20 years ago. The metroplex schools just have so many kids to choose from. Kids and parents teaming up and sending kids to certain schools. 

Just saw where we lost another 211 kids.Dang,whats going on here?Less and less people are calling Lufkin home.They are moving outxes gonna go up.,and calling Lufkin a place to work.They move to Hudson,Central,PCA,and Huntington.Our taxes going up for sure.

LP has to have solid High level D1 type of QB play to make it far in the playoffs. Young can only do so much. Pretty much the way football is these days it starts with the QB unless you have a defense like the Baltimore Ravens had.  It does sound like we have solid options hopefully they get developed and do big things. 

11 minutes ago, pack98 said:

LP has to have solid High level D1 type of QB play to make it far in the playoffs. Young can only do so much. Pretty much the way football is these days it starts with the QB unless you have a defense like the Baltimore Ravens had.  It does sound like we have solid options hopefully they get developed and do big things. 

I think Johnson could be that guy, if they develop him well and put him in position to succeed with his specific skill set.

6 hours ago, pack98 said:

Ultimately this is hard to disagree with. You really need that guy at QB in today's game. He may not need to be a D1 QB but he needs to be really good.

6 hours ago, PackMan16 said:

I think Johnson could be that guy, if they develop him well and put him in position to succeed with his specific skill set.

I think he is 100% a bonafide legitimate future D1 kid. It may not be at QB but he has all the measurements and athleticism recruiters look for. 

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Ultimately this is hard to disagree with. You really need that guy at QB in today's game. He may not need to be a D1 QB but he needs to be really good.

It has everything to do with the points so many have made here about leadership, and putting the BEST on the field to win and achieve 100% of the capability of a team.  It has been mention on a few occasions that Hammond and Johnson could be used together this year. I think that is an excellent option.

12 hours ago, PackAttack said:

It has everything to do with the points so many have made here about leadership, and putting the BEST on the field to win and achieve 100% of the capability of a team.  It has been mention on a few occasions that Hammond and Johnson could be used together this year. I think that is an excellent option.

That’s the thing though. This staff won’t do such a thing. They aren’t creative. How many times have I heard people in the spring talk about us mixing in a TE or something only to get to the season and it be the same ol crap? They won’t run options with the more mobile and athletic QB and so on. That’s not in the playbook. We will ride Hammond until things unravel and we lose meaningful games and then we’ll throw the young Buck in there and expect him to save the season with no experience. Wash, rinse, repeat. Tell me I’m wrong. You can sell me all day on the defense. Im a believer there plus I trust and appreciate books remarks regarding them. But the offense. I just don’t see anything different coming and that’s going to be our downfall. 

11 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

That’s the thing though. This staff won’t do such a thing. They aren’t creative. How many times have I heard people in the spring talk about us mixing in a TE or something only to get to the season and it be the same ol crap? They won’t run options with the more mobile and athletic QB and so on. That’s not in the playbook. We will ride Hammond until things unravel and we lose meaningful games and then we’ll throw the young Buck in there and expect him to save the season with no experience. Wash, rinse, repeat. Tell me I’m wrong. You can sell me all day on the defense. Im a believer there plus I trust and appreciate books remarks regarding them. But the offense. I just don’t see anything different coming and that’s going to be our downfall. 

I'm just ready for the season to begin and see what happens. Haven't expected more than average out of our OC for a long time now. If he was really top notch he would have already been heading up his own program somewhere.  He's been the OC 20 years and we know what we have, my leg is tired from kicking that thought around so long. You can name on one hand the playoff runs he has been a part of, 2004, 2005, 2012 and 2017.  In those 2004 and 2005 years you have Lane and Dez and knock out defenses, and John Outlaw.  I mean with those guys on your roster, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King!   Not saying Lufkin has not had any outstanding offensive years, we've actually had quite a few, we just haven't won anything with most of them. So take whatever comes our way this year and next, make the best of it all.  Buy you a hamburger, hot dog, or some peanuts and a Coke, enjoy the marching bands and the football atmosphere for what it's worth together. It's what we have, it's all we have. In November we will clearly see where things stand. No predictions from me, I've been disappointed far more than delighted these past several years to think of such.

There was a time I use to be concerned about how we would work our Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday time into our playoff football schedule, now I'm wondering, what will we do if we have to again work playoff football back into our Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday routine. LOL

15 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I'm just ready for the season to begin and see what happens. Haven't expected more than average out of our OC for a long time now. If he was really top notch he would have already been heading up his own program somewhere.  He's been the OC 20 years and we know what we have, my leg is tired from kicking that thought around so long. You can name on one hand the playoff runs he has been a part of, 2004, 2005, 2012 and 2017.  In those 2004 and 2005 years you have Lane and Dez and knock out defenses, and John Outlaw.  I mean with those guys on your roster, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King!   Not saying Lufkin has not had any outstanding offensive years, we've actually had quite a few, we just haven't won anything with most of them. So take whatever comes our way this year and next, make the best of it all.  Buy you a hamburger, hot dog, or some peanuts and a Coke, enjoy the marching bands and the football atmosphere for what it's worth together. It's what we have, it's all we have. In November we will clearly see where things stand. No predictions from me, I've been disappointed far more than delighted these past several years to think of such.

There was a time I use to be concerned about how we would work our Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday time into our playoff football schedule, now I'm wondering, what will we do if we have to again work playoff football back into our Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday routine. LOL

20 years is an ample sample size to know what you have. There's no getting around that and Lufkin hasn't been talentless that whole time. I've seen some of Greens offenses put numbers. They are mostly empty calories though. He hardly ever calls the right play in crunch time. How many close games have we lost late because of bad play call? I can think of a few offhand. Plano West in Waco back in 2012..we ended up taking the field goal and missing after failing to convert. The defense didn't do us any favors. The playoff game against JT at Rose..can't remember the year. It was Kordell Rodgers junior or senior year. It got picked off after we basically ran the same play that didn't work on 3rd down. Tried it again on 4th and turned it over on downs.

And lets not forget that bonehead play against Westfield that almost cost us the game in 2017. We are up late in the 4th qtr and TIME is on our side. Our Rb has been slicing them all game. And for some odd reason, Green calls a bomb to Jackson and it gets intercepted and ran back to our side of the field. I remember watching the replay and the guy calling the game saying. No way Lufkin throws the ball this late with time ticking down. Green must of heard him and said hold my beer. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

20 years is an ample sample size to know what you have. There's no getting around that and Lufkin hasn't been talentless that whole time. I've seen some of Greens offenses put numbers. They are mostly empty calories though. He hardly ever calls the right play in crunch time. How many close games have lost late because of bad play call? I can think of a few offhand. Plano West in Waco back in 2012..we ended up taking the field goal and missing after failing to convert. The defense didn't do us any favors. The playoff game against JT at Rose..can't remember the year. It was Kordell Rodgers junior or senior year. It got picked off after we basically ran the same play that didn't work on 3rd down. Tried it again on 4th and turned it over on downs.

And lets not forget that bonehead play against Westfield that almost cost us the game in 2017. We are up late in the 4th qtr and TIME is on our side. Our Rb has been slicing them all game. And for some odd reason, Green calls a bomb to Jackson and it gets intercepted and ran back to our side of the field. I remember watching the replay and the guy calling the game saying. No way Lufkin throws the ball this late with time ticking down. Green must of heard him and said hold my beer. 

Oh yea, I remember the Westfield game :rolleyes:. Not great at Risk management. If it works, a hero call, if not, Hold on to your pants!  It's been squishy pants more times than not.

14 hours ago, timeout! said:

20 years is an ample sample size to know what you have. There's no getting around that and Lufkin hasn't been talentless that whole time. I've seen some of Greens offenses put numbers. They are mostly empty calories though. He hardly ever calls the right play in crunch time. How many close games have we lost late because of bad play call? I can think of a few offhand. Plano West in Waco back in 2012..we ended up taking the field goal and missing after failing to convert. The defense didn't do us any favors. The playoff game against JT at Rose..can't remember the year. It was Kordell Rodgers junior or senior year. It got picked off after we basically ran the same play that didn't work on 3rd down. Tried it again on 4th and turned it over on downs.

How about coach Cullumn throwing up 16 with like 9 minutes left in the 4th vs SLC in 2002. Lane had like 9 carries for a 100 yards. That game probably eats me up more than any other game as far as coaching or play calling. 

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

How about coach Cullumn throwing up 16 with like 9 minutes left in the 4th vs SLC in 2002. Lane had like 9 carries for a 100 yards. That game probably eats me up more than any other game as far as coaching or play calling. 

Exactly. It was tough to take even in those days, took me 3 months to get over that 2002 game. Just like Timeout said about the 2012 Plano West game, just throwing once on 3rd down to Taylor in the end zone, needing a TD that would have won the game. The DB covering 6' 3" Taylor ( 9 rec - 237 yds) was like 5'9".  Ran Mapp right, then left on first two plays for 4 yards, then the incompletion to Taylor in the corner, that set up the 29 yd FG try as time expired.  I called it from the stands when they were setting up to kick it, don't think they had any TO left. Just started packing up my stadium seat getting ready to go, told my two friends we just lost this game. The kicker Garcia had no real chance, everything was rush rush to kick. Tough 55-52 loss.

Well, they ended up with a bad snap or maybe messed up hold?, flat footed kick, no good to the right, headed home. NEVER trust or play for a FG unless it's absolutely the last resort, and I guess it became a last resort based on the play calls leading up to it. Games like that stick with you, and it was an outstanding day for the Lufkin O racking up 615 yards, 457 of it passing. As bad as the Plano West D was, so was Lufkin's D in the first half, they allowing  584yards overall, 162 yards to RB Jamabo for PW.  PW led 41-24 at the half.  Lufkin D played much better in the 2nd half and Lufkin scored 28 unanswered points to take the lead late in the 4th.  

You just wonder what goes through the minds of OC guys in those critical moments. I persoanlly would not want the responsibility, cause fans like us would be talking about me. :unsure::mellow:

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Exactly. It was tough to take even in those days, took me 3 months to get over that 2002 game. Just like Timeout said about the 2012 Plano West game, just throwing once on 3rd down to Taylor in the end zone, needing a TD that would have won the game. The DB covering 6' 3" Taylor ( 9 rec - 237 yds) was like 5'9".  Ran Mapp right, then left on first two plays for 4 yards, then the incompletion to Taylor in the corner, that set up the 29 yd FG try as time expired.  I called it from the stands when they were setting up to kick it, don't think they had any TO left. Just started packing up my stadium seat getting ready to go, told my two friends we just lost this game. The kicker Garcia had no real chance, everything was rush rush to kick. Tough 55-52 loss.

Well, they ended up with a bad snap or maybe messed up hold?, flat footed kick, no good to the right, headed home. NEVER trust or play for a FG unless it's absolutely the last resort, and I guess it became a last resort based on the play calls leading up to it. Games like that stick with you, and it was an outstanding day for the Lufkin O racking up 615 yards, 457 of it passing. As bad as the Plano West D was, so was Lufkin's D in the first half, they allowing  584yards overall, 162 yards to RB Jamabo for PW.  PW led 41-24 at the half.  Lufkin D played much better in the 2nd half and Lufkin scored 28 unanswered points to take the lead late in the 4th.  

You just wonder what goes through the minds of OC guys in those critical moments. I persoanlly would not want the responsibility, cause fans like us would be talking about me. :unsure::mellow:

Definitely a tough job. I can live with most bad calls because if it works you look like a genius. But some calls or game management moments are definitely harder to get over.

I'm really expecting some outstanding play this year. Looking for big things to happen. This thing has been simmering for a couple years. We should have done much better last year, so we will see, but I'm expecting some great Panther football this year. Not joking, I see the roster, I know what these kids can do, I've seen it, there is nothing negative that tells me different about this group.  It's the other stuff that we have already mentioned that gives me pause to watch closely, but I'm expecting real good results from these kids, if they are allowed to let loose and go. Frankly tired of talking about it, just want to see what they have come up with on the field.  I'm willing to live with the other stuff. In November we will all know. If it doesn't work out again, it won't be because of these 2023 kids or their talent. 

On 6/27/2023 at 9:21 PM, PackAttack said:

I believe losing those two guys do not help the depth and experience for Longview, couple that with an untested QB.  I think Longview is fine, will vie for the district title again.  Whether it's Longview or Lufkin or anyone, losing DI talent in a  transfer is never something you like to see before a season.

Alijah Johnson just transferred back to Longview from Aledo.

So two in the backfield with D1 offers for the Lobos.

54 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

Alijah Johnson just transferred back to Longview from Aledo.

So two in the backfield with D1 offers for the Lobos.

He transfers back from Aledo?, they helped him get his offer there, then he's back to Lobo? Kind of like Bear Alexander, changing HS and college teams each year. Wonder what it took to get him back from the #1 ranked 5A DI Aledo team.  At end of year he's probably going to wish he stayed.  Anyway, doesn't matter to me, doesn't affect Lufkin one way or another. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

If Nichols was a few inches taller he would have several D1 offers.He can play. Zion digging down and showing some dawg in him is the kind of fight I expect from the kids this year. When you have a kid with an Alabama offer and another kid committed to Notre Dame it will rnot only raise their level of play from a confidence perspective but the kids around them too.  

1 hour ago, pack98 said:

Difference, the California schools mix private and public, and some only play to Regional Championships. Florida has the private school issue too, except they do play all the way to a State Titles in classifications, like Texas.  Max Prep, Ehhh! Aledo should be ranked ahead of SOC, and completely left out Lancaster, which should be right there with Longview.  😉

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Difference, the California schools mix private and public, and some only play to Regional Championships. Florida has the private school issue too, except they do play all the way to a State Titles in classifications, like Texas.  Max Prep, Ehhh! Aledo should be ranked ahead of SOC, and completely left out Lancaster, which should be right there with Longview.  😉

These list are always subjective. I would say about 10 are always at the top. The main reason why is they recruit players to them and they play several teams around the nation. For example the top team in Hawaii only lost to two private schools that recruit players. Hawaii is only so big of course they can’t compete with those teams but it is fun to travel and play big games. 

The  Yelm team in Washington would not get past the 2nd round in Texas. Watched them play last year with other top teams around here.