2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

9 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

I like this idea. I’m hearing good stuff about our backup QB

If he is a better running than TJ. The offense is zone blocking. You have Kedren and Gavin back there. I’d start the sophomore. Everyone will be keyed in on Young. Gives a good chance to get the Qb out free. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Pack13 said:

If he is a better running than TJ. The offense is zone blocking. You have Kedren and Gavin back there. I’d start the sophomore. Everyone will be keyed in on Young. Gives a good chance to get the Qb out free. 

Oh yeah he is in an entirely different stratosphere as far as athlete compared to QB1. I don't know if I would start him right off the jump but I would definitely give him a series here and there and get him use to the speed of the game. Then maybe put more on his plate as the season progresses if he shows he can handle it but also depends on how good QB1 plays. It's possible he has a good season. He has played a lot of games at QB and I think experience has to account for something. The game should really slow down for him this year. 

15 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Oh yeah he is in an entirely different stratosphere as far as athlete compared to QB1. I don't know if I would start him right off the jump but I would definitely give him a series here and there and get him use to the speed of the game. Then maybe put more on his plate as the season progresses if he shows he can handle it but also depends on how good QB1 plays. It's possible he has a good season. He has played a lot of games at QB and I think experience has to account for something. The game should really slow down for him this year. 

Always believed if the sophomore and the senior are equal sophomore starts. Get the licks out of the way before district starts. I don’t think the defense they see early in the year will be too bad. Plus he has a pretty decent safety net. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

Always believed if the sophomore and the senior are equal sophomore starts. Get the licks out of the way before district starts. I don’t think the defense they see early in the year will be too bad. Plus he has a pretty decent safety net. 

Definitely something to consider if the play on the field is even through the first couple of games. 

On 6/17/2023 at 4:33 PM, Pack13 said:

Yea it definitely could give opponents something to prepare for !

You know we got into a back and forth last year between Moody and Hammond, and many people got what they wanted. What many wanted, they got and they have it to start 2023. From my perspective, I only want a QB who gives the whole offense the best opportunity to win and make a long playoff run. If it takes both QBs to do this, that's great. If not, let the best QB start the season. After last season, I'm not saying a word. I just want to see us win.

36 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You know we got into a back and forth last year between Moody and Hammond, and many people got what they wanted. What many wanted, they got and they have it to start 2023. From my perspective, I only want a QB who gives the whole offense the best opportunity to win and make a long playoff run. If it takes both QBs to do this, that's great. If not, let the best QB start the season. After last season, I'm not saying a word. I just want to see us win.

With the lack of blocking I’ve seen the qb better be mobile and not afraid to tuck and run. I haven’t heard a single good thing about the O line, both from my observations and words of those that would know. Play the sophomore and let the legs keep the pass rush off him. 

58 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

With the lack of blocking I’ve seen the qb better be mobile and not afraid to tuck and run. I haven’t heard a single good thing about the O line, both from my observations and words of those that would know. Play the sophomore and let the legs keep the pass rush off him. 

Here's the thing. We saw the 1st team Spring O-line maybe 10-12 snaps before lightening suspended the game. Also, what was seen, was against the Panther 1st team DL that they had been practicing against for about 4 weeks. The OL play was far from bad in those few snaps.  It's just hard to make an evaluation, or an evaluation watching them in practice alone.  A whole Spring without Young.  We can't make a judgement on the 2023 OL based on what they did last year either because 3 of those starting guys have graduated. The only two who return as starters are #79 Jordan Nichols and #57 Geovanni Villegas. This years OL is NOT like last year's. Things will look different with 6-3, 250 Phillips in the H-back position.  Offensive line and offensive structure will be more interesting in 2023. Some of the same things as always and some new wrinkles.

I've heard from someone that Quick told them the 2023 would be a decent, but without much depth.  I don't know one way or another. It's just what someone was told by coach.  Not a lot of information or observances this year yet to really grade whatever this 2023 OL will look like. I think we are basing most of our opinions thinking the line will not be coached well, that thought is much different than not having good kids to play the OL??

I am more than willing to wait and see. Things eventually do get better. Right?  ;)

Former Lufkin Panthers standout Keke Coutee has found a new landing spot in the NFL after signing with the New Orleans Saints earlier this week.

Coutee, a 2015 graduate of Lufkin High School, has spent the last two seasons as a wide receiver for the Indianapolis Colts.

In that span, he caught two passes for 25 yards. He was used as a threat in the punt return game this past season where he averaged nearly 8.9 yards on 17 attempts.

Coutee was a 2018 fourth-round pick of the Houston Texans before spending the first three years of his career near his hometown.

He caught 28 passes for 287 yards and a touchdown in his rookie season. He made his first NFL reception against the Colts and finished the day with 109 yards on 11 catches.

Coutee made 11 receptions for 110 yards and a touchdown in a playoff loss against Indianapolis.

In his second year, he had 22 receptions for 254 yards.

His best year as a pro came in 2020 when he hauled in 22 passes for 400 yards and three scores.

According to Pro Football Talk, Coutee worked out for the Patriots in May before being signed by the Saints.

Prior to his time in the NFL, Coutee emerged as one of the best receivers in the NCAA, making 159 catches for 2,424 yards and 17 touchdowns in three seasons.

With Patrick Mahomes as his quarterback his first two seasons in Lubbock, Coutee had 66 catches for 995 yards and nine touchdowns.

However his best season at Texas Tech was as a junior when he was among the nation’s leaders with 93 catches for 1,429 yards and 10 scores.

Coutee was a three-time all-district performer with the Panthers.

He broke Dez Bryant’s school records for career receptions (195) and receiving yards (2,739), numbers that still place him atop the Lufkin High School record books.

Coutee’s signing in New Orleans puts a pair of former Panthers on the Saints’ roster. Erik McCoy, also a 2015 Lufkin High School graduate, is the starting center for New Orleans.

The Saints open the 2023 preseason Aug. 13 against Kansas City.

The season opener is a Sept. 10 home game against the Titans.

The Saints are coming off a season in which they finished with a 7-10 record, which left them a game back of division champion Tampa Bay in the NFC South.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com

16 hours ago, PackAttack said:

2026 Lufkin QB Javion Johnson back up to T J Hammond.

I was really impressed with what I saw from him on the 9th grade team. I think Lufkin is solid at Qb this year. I know TJ has been putting in the work and will come back with as much experience as you can ask for. That includes all the ups and downs of playing the position. He will be much better because of it. 

I will say this about the Johnson kid and that 9th grade team. There was no fear when they faced off against Longview. I could tell he believed he was one of the best players on the field. Hope he continues to develop. Will prob need to visit some Qb camps over the next few years to aid in the process. 

I'm not one for superstitions.Just ask anyone. But i have a rabbits foot hanging from the rearview mirror in my truck.Wont step on the chalk lines either.But every since we took the barb b que place from the guys,we aint done worth a crap! I say let em move back under the creek and the pines between tennis courts.Them boys could cook,and i could get a sausage sandwich every now and then!Bring back the cannon!!! NOW!!!! Longview can have that ------ horn.Bring back hard hitting by our defense,run it down their throat offense, ok im through. whew!!!! lol 

24 minutes ago, LPPACK said:

I'm not one for superstitions.Just ask anyone. But i have a rabbits foot hanging from the rearview mirror in my truck.Wont step on the chalk lines either.But every since we took the barb b que place from the guys,we aint done worth a crap! I say let em move back under the creek and the pines between tennis courts.Them boys could cook,and i could get a sausage sandwich every now and then!Bring back the cannon!!! NOW!!!! Longview can have that ------ horn.Bring back hard hitting by our defense,run it down their throat offense, ok im through. whew!!!! lol 

We hear you!  In exactly two months time from now, Lufkin will be in scrimmage week against Huntsville.  Getting close to no more just talking about football stuff, it will be time to watch the kids play it.  Looking forward to it, the weeks will fly by very quick after they kick off that first game. 

Not much HS football info coming out until the State 7 on 7 is over. Should have my paper and digital copy of the David Campbell's Magazine very soon. 

Lufkin Season Ticket acquisition will be available around August 1st or so. 

Lufkin football will return to the practice field on August 7th, that is 46 days from today June 22nd.