2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I know this has nothing to do with Panther football. Found this track training interesting, this girl is from Stephenville and won the 2023 4A 100M title this year with a 11.35. 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/769285848264414?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

It's something  thanks board empty conversation only getting me hyped. Can't wait for some football 

She is trying to prep her nervous system for high speeds. Sprinting is part strength to move fast part having your system able to handle top speed. If top speed isn’t getting trained correctly top speed isn’t getting increased. 

It's been pretty slow around here on Panther football news, too much time to think.  So getting ready in my mind for the 2023 season, I've been thinking about the past 6 years of Lufkin football, and the prospects and hope of better the next few years. Can't do much about the past, or the talent we had back in 2017 and 2018, or the lack of in 2020 and 2021.   Thinking back,  the 2019 group took some beatings and they had Caleb Berry and Jaylen Polk with Jordan Moore at QB,  a very decent trio.  Now 2022 is the head scratcher, because we lost a couple  games we probably should not have, McKinney North and Forney.   Many of those same players will return this year and we are adding to the mix the rest of that vaulted freshman group from 2 years ago.  So what to expect and why??  We have the same coaching as we had in 2018 and 2019, and 2017 when we should have beat Longview and moved on in the playoffs. Special teams coaching cost us that game, kicking off to a Lobo returner who had scorched us all day, and he did it again returning our kickoff to the Lufkin 38 yard line. Just kick it out of bounds and giving it to them on their 30 yard line, with less than 2 minutes left and 1 time out. NO, let's kick it down the middle to their best return guy.   That's the stuff that's always on my mind here in Lufkin, it's the occasional lack of football coaching sense.

In 2017 Lufkin finished 11-3, lost to Longview (refer to above), in 2018 the Panthers were 10-2 losing to Lone Star in the 2nd round, with 3rd string QB Davis at the helm, with Thomas hurt and unable to go, and Moore on suspension that week. In the 2019 Lufkin still managed a 9-2 finish through a mesh of inexperience and injuries only to just run out of gas at home in the 1st round to Texas High 41-35 . See a trend here? Then COViD hit in 2020, Lufkin finished 5-6 and one of those victories was a forfeit by Cleveland. The Panthers took some big lopsided losses that had not been seen in the Lufkin program in two decades that year. Just when you didn't think it could get worse, it did, finishing 4-6 in 2021 and missing the playoffs for the first time in 23 years. You say, well that was an aberration, no it happen again in 2022, finished 6-4 and missed the playoffs again. Definitely a much better team than the 2021 group, still no playoffs.  Now remember in Texas High School football all you need to do is finish 4th and your in the playoffs.  

So you can see how one could be apprehensive, its logical thinking. That doesn't make me a naysayer, no, just trying to look at the big picture, to reason some things based on 6 years of facts. Do the players talent pull a program to stay a contender and make the playoffs every year, like Longview, Carthage and say Lancaster, OR are Coach King and Coach Surrat just pulling in the talent left and right every stinking year to stay contending for so long? OR is there some great coaching going on there? You see we have the same guys coaching here in Lufkin who brought us 11-3 and 10-2 seasons, and also 5-6 and 4-6 seasons since 2017. Which you have not seen from the afore mentioned schools or coaches in those same 6 years, and going back even more seasons than just those six.  You see, I'm trying to make sense of the difference, and how and why we are expecting a string of playoff runs to start to happening again this fall.  Not trying to bust anyone's bubble here, that happen long ago, and I'm not sure everyone really believes where this program sits and how far it has to go to be in the top echelon it once was.  No matter how good this group coming in really is, they can not understand the level of greatness of the Panther program from 1998-2006. There is no way. It's like building something from almost scratch, all over again. That's what that 1998 group started for those banner years. We have been out of real contention so long, there is no passing on the success from one group to the next. 

Looking at Longview and Carthage, it seems some coaches are able to build something and sustain it through what they do as coaches, while other coaches must wait for talent to come along to attempt to make a little playoff run.  Or maybe inherit a very good football program built by your mentor, only to , well..........

Someone else would need to finish that thought, I cant.  Anyway, here is to championships and long playoff runs ahead. If those things don't happen, we'll already know how to feel about it all. FYI, did you realize that we currently have not watched any Panther football played in 8 of the last 10 seasons on Thanksgiving weekend?  Just let that sink in a minute.

26 minutes ago, pack98 said:

Just got the alert. Alton no longer the coach at Crockett. 

Hmmm. That is interesting.  They had high expectation when he came in there. It has been a tough couple years for him there at Crockett, think he went 11-12. 

https://www.kltv.com/2023/06/01/am-product-alton-dixon-leaves-position-crockett-head-football-coach/

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

KEDREN YOUNG has 25 offers and more to come. A 6 ft 215 lbs RB and with his speed, he is underrated by many IMO.  Also a high GPA student.

He is very underrated. I think the district he was in sophomore year hurt him. I think he is going to put up crazy numbers this year. I’ll say it now. As long as he is healthy, Lane’s touchdown record is in reach. 

KETK throwback to missing the playoffs in 2021 leading up to 2022 season:   https://www.ketk.com/sports/friday-football-fever/lufkin-set-to-refocus-in-2022-after-missing-the-playoffs-last-season/

I want to compare this to the lead up conversation for the 2023 season.  

Yea, as a verse in the STYX song says "Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands, It's ticking away with my sanity, I've got too much time on my hands".  LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2w5vdLDMAc

Best I can tell from this Spring Roster - SR Nichols #79, JR Villegas #57, JR #50 Foreman , SR Chavez #52 and JR Torres #55 are the starting OL for 2023.  So, Nichols and Villegas are the two that return from the Panther 2022 OL.  

347099159_987601865736735_6216262873006006182_n (3).jpg

JR WR Ke Vondrick Taylor is someone I'm really wanting to see play the next couple of years. To me he has Keke Coutee, Ralph Thomas and Malik Jackson type talent qualities.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1573822634747379713

Zion has an impressive offer list. He should only get better. 

LP playing in a district this year with some top projected teams reminds me of the old 12-5A days when your 3rd or 4th place teams would win most other districts. 

53 minutes ago, pack98 said:

Zion has an impressive offer list. He should only get better. 

LP playing in a district this year with some top projected teams reminds me of the old 12-5A days when your 3rd or 4th place teams would win most other districts. 

Back in the old 12-5A days it was the survival of the fittest. The competition made everyone better and play harder, because you didn't want to be embarrassed. Every week was a war, especially the two round robin years (2002-2003) with Longview, Legacy (Lee), Tyler High (JT) and Lufkin playing each other twice in district.. Surprising that teams were still physically healthy enough to make playoff runs.

In 2002 Lufkin lost twice in district to Tyler Lee,  beat Longview 3 times, twice in district and 24-21 in the 4th round of the playoffs at SFA. 

On 6/1/2023 at 5:59 PM, PackAttack said:

KEDREN YOUNG has 25 offers and more to come. A 6 ft 215 lbs RB and with his speed, he is underrated by many IMO.  Also a high GPA student.

On3 has him at 80 something overall in the nation. Not all recruiting services have him underrated. But I agree he should be a consensus Top 100 player across the board

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

On3 has him at 80 something overall in the nation. Not all recruiting services have him underrated. But I agree he should be a consensus Top 100 player across the board

That’s a very recent change. Good for him. Much more accurate ranking

6 hours ago, Pack13 said:

That’s a very recent change. Good for him. Much more accurate ranking

Yeah he is 82nd and the on3 Industry rankings have him 182. The only other site that has him ranked is Rivals and it's at 212. His 247 composite is 207. So overall a little underrated imo.

35 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah he is 82nd and the on3 Industry rankings have him 182. The only other site that has him ranked is Rivals and it's at 212. His 247 composite is 207. So overall a little underrated imo.

Just means some college is going to get a great running back. 

11 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Just means some college is going to get a great running back. 

Just think if he had a great OL in front of him like Tatum in Longview, he may be ranked twice as high. IMO that's a plus for a good RB and his ranking.

How many times was Young hit in the backfield last year just as he was handed the ball? A lot more than you think, at least 4 or 5 times a game. After the first two series, most good opp Ds are able to read Green's play calling. Young got a ton of yards just on his own ability last year, just watch his highlight reel.  Hopefully the OL is much improved this year with three new members and two returning, who have a year's experience under their belt, even though I don't like the zone blocking scheme. Never have, and maybe it's because I don't understand it. Wasn't around when I played.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Just think if he had a great OL in front of him like Tatum in Longview, he may be ranked twice as high. IMO that's a plus for a good RB and his ranking.

How many times was Young hit in the backfield last year just as he was handed the ball? A lot more than you think, at least 4 or 5 times a game. After the first two series, most good opp Ds are able to read Green's play calling. Young got a ton of yards just on his own ability last year, just watch his highlight reel.  Hopefully the OL is much improved this year with three new members and two returning, who have a year's experience under their belt, even though I don't like the zone blocking scheme. Never have, and maybe it's because I don't understand it. Wasn't around when I played.

Zone blocking was my least favorite as a lineman. I think it’s meant to mask a little of their inefficiencies. Young will be a terror this year. I just got this feeling. Kid is healthy. Another year older. Hopefully a little faster and stronger. Should be a lot of fun. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I think the added H back position will help. Gavin is a willing blocker. Green showed a few different things this spring but let's see if he can expand on it during the season. I agree Kedren is every bit of the RB Tatum is. Not much separates them on tape. I think they both will be successful RB1's in college one day.