2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Okay, I can accept the better players. That has been evident the past 3 or 4 years.  Was it 2021 Lufkin only had their punter recruited?

I think but can't remember specifically but the gap between us and Longview has closed drastically from a year ago.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Believe it was liked and agreed on by me.

It’s the direction high school sports are going now a days. It’s a different world than we played in. Teams are able to build their athletes now. Not just hope they are born. 

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Like I said, really looking forward to August. 

Can't get hear fast enough. Legacy and Nac will be good tune up games. Consolidated will present more of a problem but Lufkin should handle them and then we will really find out where we're at when we head to Longview. The schedule is set up nice for Lufkin this year. Key home district games. They can go anywhere from 7-3 to 9-1. Now if they beat Longview week 4 I might have to adjust my predictions lol. 

Again I reach out for help.  I see the kids at practice but do not know their names. My thoughts are, with us running the H - back with Phillips. My question is hopefully we have a backup to Gavin, a backup for T J and backup for Kedren, as it may be, so Lufkin could continue to run the same offense with any one of those guys out of the lineup.  

WHO would be the backups to Young, Phillips and T J and their classification?   Jersey numbers in practice are not consistent .  If you know fine, if not, I can wait until Monday at the scrimmage.  

Also, who are some of the  # 2 guys you think could have a bigger impact as the season moves along?

30 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

It’s the direction high school sports are going now a days. It’s a different world than we played in. Teams are able to build their athletes now. Not just hope they are born. 

Yea it’s a different generation of kids for sure.

12 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Again I reach out for help.  I see the kids at practice but do not know their names. My thoughts are, with us running the H - back with Phillips. My question is hopefully we have a backup to Gavin, a backup for T J and backup for Kedren, as it may be, so Lufkin could continue to run the same offense with any one of those guys out of the lineup.  

WHO would be the backups to Young, Phillips and T J and their classification?   Jersey numbers in practice are not consistent .  If you know fine, if not, I can wait until Monday at the scrimmage.  

Also, who are some of the  # 2 guys you think could have a bigger impact as the season moves along?

I believe Murphy (SR) and Coleman(Soph) would be the next up backs. Jayvion is the back up quarterback he will also be a 10th grader next year. I think anyone on the defensive 2 deep rotation will have an impact somehow. 

41 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I believe Murphy (SR) and Coleman(Soph) would be the next up backs. Jayvion is the back up quarterback he will also be a 10th grader next year. I think anyone on the defensive 2 deep rotation will have an impact somehow. 

I liked Coleman in the scrimmage last week. He looks like a solid high school running back. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Could Preston play H back if needed? I mean,  good BIG WR prospects too.  I'm just thinking of any athlete who can play multiple offensive positions, like Mimms with LS back in 2018.

Gavin seems to be a player like that now, any others?

16 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Could Preston play H back if needed? I mean,  good BIG WR prospects too.  I'm just thinking of any athlete who can play multiple offensive positions, like Mimms with LS back in 2018.

Gavin seems to be a player like that now, any others?

Yeah they could definitely use Preston at H back if they wanted to. I don't think you will see it though. I'm just glad we're utilizing that position. It puts more pressure on the defense because you can do more stuff with that guy there. Then with Gavin you can change personal without changing players. Lufkin game go from 20 to 11 personal without subbing. It's going to open the playbook up. As for other kids. I like the 10th grader Coleman in a role like that. He probably plays JV this year as the main back. I tell you kid I like I think they should look at is the Nichols kid at WR. He will be a JR next year and will probably play JV but he made some plays in the scrimmage last Wednesday. He has D1 size and length for the position. I think they really need to take a serious look at that kid.

Yeah they could definitely use Preston at H back if they wanted to. I don't think you will see it though. I'm just glad we're utilizing that position. It puts more pressure on the defense because you can do more stuff with that guy there. Then with Gavin you can change personal without changing players. Lufkin game go from 20 to 11 personal without subbing. It's going to open the playbook up. As for other kids. I like the 10th grader Coleman in a role like that. He probably plays JV this year as the main back. I tell you kid I like I think they should look at is the Nichols kid at WR. He will be a JR next year and will probably play JV but he made some plays in the scrimmage last Wednesday. He has D1 size and length for the position. I think they really need to take a serious look at that kid.

They should play the best they have to be the most successful, no matter their classification. Sorry, I don't  agree with seniors getting the upper hand just because they are a senior. If they are the best at their position fine, if not the best one plays, even if it's a sophomore. If the coaches are not doing that, it's a mistake. 

I'm banking they are playing the best they have going into next season. Quick is running out of opportunities to leave a true winning mark as Lufkin's head coach. His current 11 year playoff record is the perveribile thorne in his side as a coach.

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Quick is running out of opportunities to leave a true winning mark as Lufkin's head coach. His current 11 year playoff record is the perveribile thorne in his side as a coach.

I truly believe that’s not even a thought inside his head. I don’t think he cares how he leaves. Just riding the clock out and then ✌🏻. If I win some games on my way out that’s cool too. If not, 🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I truly believe that’s not even a thought inside his head. I don’t think he cares how he leaves. Just riding the clock out and then ✌🏻. If I win some games on my way out that’s cool too. If not, 🤷🏻‍♂️

Quick is 6-9 in playoffs in 11 years, of course Lufkin has missed the playoffs the last two years. Has been one and done 6 times. The 3rd round in 2012 (his first year), 4th round in 2017 and 2nd round in 2018.  That's it.

55 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Quick is 6-9 in playoffs in 11 years, of course Lufkin has missed the playoffs the last two years. Has been one and done 6 times. The 3rd round in 2012 (his first year), 4th round in 2017 and 2nd round in 2018.  That's it.

LET HIM COOK 🔥🔥🤣

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

LET HIM COOK 🔥🔥🤣

Just saying if Quick stays 3 more years, he would need all of them to be phenomenal playoff years to just break even or gain a couple games above .500. Unless he wins it all, there are 3 more playoff losses to add at some point. I really have trouble talking about the past, wasted breath at this point. We are way past what should of or could of been done along the past 11 years. The last two seasons probably the lowest points. The future? Well, we are banking on some great talent to pull us to something better than one and done or make it 2 or 3 playoff rounds, with some of the same guys we've been talking about for years now. There are no sure answers about winning any longer. Just hope we can with great talent.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just saying if he stays 3 more years, he would need all of them to be phenomenal playoff years to just break even or gain a couple games above .500. Unless he wins it all, there are 3 more playoff  losses to add at some point. I really have trouble talking about the past, wasted breath at this point. Weare way past what should have or could have been done along the past 11 years. The last two seasons probably the lowest points. The future? Well, we are banking on some great talent to pull us to something better than one and done or make it 2 or 3 playoff rounds, with some of the same guys we talking about for years now. There are no sure answers any longer.

I have zero doubts that PurpleNation knows what he’s talking about with this current group. He’s been around them a long time. But I just have no faith in this staff. None. I 100% believe we will lose any game that matters. They have shown me nothing to believe otherwise. These kids would have to be more talented than the 02-06 Lufkin teams to win anything significant under this staff. 

24 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I have zero doubts that PurpleNation knows what he’s talking about with this current group. He’s been around them a long time. But I just have no faith in this staff. None. I 100% believe we will lose any game that matters. They have shown me nothing to believe otherwise. These kids would have to be more talented than the 02-06 Lufkin teams to win anything significant under this staff. 

As I've stated before, my hope to win is always there, but keep any expectations now to the minimum. Multiple season disappointments will do that to fans. Here's hoping again in 2023. That's all I have left.

34 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

As I've stated before, my hope to win is always there, but keep any expectations now to the minimum. Multiple season disappointments will do that to fans. Here's hoping again in 2023. That's all I have left.

Amen to that. I’ll try not to be the hater this year. Again though, my hate is not directed toward these kids at all. They are a talented bunch and I’ve heard nothing but great things about them. Quite frankly I think they deserve better as far as quality of staff goes. But that’s out of my hands. Just gonna try to enjoy it the best I can and will be looking forward to any and all assessments purplenation brings to us. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

They should play the best they have to be the most successful, no matter their classification. Sorry, I don't  agree with seniors getting the upper hand just because they are a senior. If they are the best at their position fine, if not the best one plays, even if it's a sophomore. If the coaches are not doing that, it's a mistake. 

I'm banking they are playing the best they have going into next season. Quick is running out of opportunities to leave a true winning mark as Lufkin's head coach. His current 11 year playoff record is the perveribile thorne in his side as a coach.

I don't think they're doing that at all. I believe they're getting the best players on the field. 

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I dunno I think he's invested in this season coming up. At least that's how it appears. I've watched every practice this spring and he's out there working with kids and not just the starters. I can tell they're really trying to coach them up this season. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

One thing that the defense did different last practice was move Zion to DE and Elijah Alexander to Nose. Alexander played offensive line last year. Both of these guys require a double team. They have a chance to be really good up front.

One thing that the defense did different last practice was move Zion to DE and Elijah Alexander to Nose. Alexander played offensive line last year. Both of these guys require a double team. They have a chance to be really good up front.

I love defense, sounds like the D line and front 7 in general are going to be stout. Just waiting to see it all in the fall.

5 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think it's just going to be one big game but maybe they switched it up

I keep getting mixed information. I'm showing up at 5:30 and take in whatever happens. LOL. ;)