2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

One on ones are great but line is going to have to hold. Honestly I’d load 8 in the box. Stop Young and you to the offense. I didn’t see enough outside speed to believe we can separate. TJ also has a tendency to prefer the deep ball versus dumping the ball to the flats. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

One on ones are great but line is going to have to hold. Honestly I’d load 8 in the box. Stop Young and you to the offense. I didn’t see enough outside speed to believe we can separate. TJ also has a tendency to prefer the deep ball versus dumping the ball to the flats. 

Yeah but when they do hit the play it's gonna go for 6

7 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I think we do have some speed at WR . 

You don't have to be a blazer to be a good WR. Although I agree we have WRs with good speed. How fast and smooth can a kid get in and out of his brakes. More importantly can he catch the ball. Can he make contested catches. Does he understand when and where to sit in the zone. Can he block? I think Lufkin is more then equipped at the WR position this year to be successful. 

7 hours ago, Pack05 said:

Can we make the play consistently though ?

Consistency is the key and I think we're going to find out. Me personally I don't think teams will be able to just play 8 in the box all game and just focus on Kedren. I think they will have to pick and choose when to load the box. Kedren faced stack boxes last year and still had success. Like you said they just need to find consistency.

Like what we are hearing and witnessing this Spring with the 2023 Panther group. Personally not worried about the talent and their ability to play at a high level. Possibly the 2017, maybe 2018 group were the last to pocess this type talent, made it to Rounds 4 and 2 respectively those years. If the leadership of this program are worth their salt, they should do better than those 2017-18 teams. IMO much of any extended success rest on their shoulders. Trying very hard to not over emphasis expectations for 2023 and 2024. However the hope is strong. Lots of kids looking goid out there.

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Consistency is the key and I think we're going to find out. Me personally I don't think teams will be able to just play 8 in the box all game and just focus on Kedren. I think they will have to pick and choose when to load the box. Kedren faced stack boxes last year and still had success. Like you said they just need to find consistency.

Against better competition , it will be hard to run the ball with 8 or 9 in the box . Some teams can’t stop a nose bleed regardless of what they do !

1 hour ago, Pack05 said:

Against better competition , it will be hard to run the ball with 8 or 9 in the box . Some teams can’t stop a nose bleed regardless of what they do !

That's when we need to hit in our pass game but I agree Longview and Lancaster will stop the run and force Lufkin to throw the ball. 

36 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That's when we need to hit in our pass game but I agree Longview and Lancaster will stop the run and force Lufkin to throw the ball. 

If slots can take care of shallow safeties teams will have to make the hard call. I think Young can run against 11 in the box. So honestly I’d back the safeties off. 

1 minute ago, Pack05 said:

I believe Taylor is one from last year . 

Yeah that's the one that made Lancaster look silly on that reverse or jet toss. Now my kid has said Lil Hoop has been the toughest WR for the defense to deal with this spring so that's another small shifty weapon Lufkin will be able to deploy from the slot. 

If you really look at the schedule last season. McKinney North should had been a win. I'll be disappointed if Lufkin doesn't blow them out this year at Abe. How many turnovers did we have in that Forney game? Somewhere around 4 or 5. That's a game Lufkin could had won last season. Lancaster beat Forney 56-6. Then we all witnessed Lufkin nearly upset Lancaster to close out the year in a game they should had won. I know those teams are improved but so is Lufkin. That's the beauty of HS football a lot can change in a season.

45 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah that's the one that made Lancaster look silly on that reverse or jet toss. Now my kid has said Lil Hoop has been the toughest WR for the defense to deal with this spring so that's another small shifty weapon Lufkin will be able to deploy from the slot. 

Yea Lil hoop is tough .

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - Over in Lufkin, the high school practice field would be a little soggy to run drills, not to mention nearby lightning, but in the indoor practice facility it would be safe, warm and dry for the Lufkin Panthers football team, who are finishing up there last days of spring practice. Head Coach Todd Quick says so far he likes what he sees.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/05/10/lufkin-football-finishing-up-spring-practice/

“Well it’s been good, I mean we still got some days left,” he said. “We’ll go all the way through next Monday, but we’re real pleased with the older guys. We feel like we know right now who the ones are going to be and we’re working the younger guys a lot right now.”

And Lufkin Panther fans will soon be given a sneak peek at what the team is all about in a spring game coming up next Monday.

“Yeah, we’re going to go Monday at six o’clock. We’ll go 3 quarters get everybody in and get it on,” he said.

Following the spring game the team will be given a week off, and then Coach Quick says they will go right back to work.

“We’re not gonna set em free very long,” the coach pointed out. “They will get a week off and then we’ll start the summer program and get them up here during the month of June and July and get ready to go.”

The Lufkin Panthers showing signs that they are already ready to go as they continue to prepare for next season.

Copyright 2023 KTRE. All rights reserved.

53 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Former Lufkin Panther Robert Murphy has been elevated to Athletic Director/Head Football Coach at Humble HS. I'm so proud and excited my classmate. He is going to mold young men into successful adults. It's more then a game. 

That's great news. Congratulations to Robert.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Former Lufkin Panther Robert Murphy has been elevated to Athletic Director/Head Football Coach at Humble HS. I'm so proud and excited my classmate. He is going to mold young men into successful adults. It's more then a game. 

Big congrats l!!!

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

No scrimmage today 

Yea, I went by to check out, however the sky was dark and ominous. It started to rain, so I knew it was a no go today.