2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

17 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

You play how you practice. You practice how you’re taught. 

and we all see the results of that fine coaching on Friday nights..........:unsure:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Amen. I know I’m hard on the lines performance. I’m a former lineman myself so I take it a little personal. None of my blame is on the kids. 

5 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Amen. I know I’m hard on the lines performance. I’m a former lineman myself so I take it a little personal. None of my blame is on the kids. 

Definitely not the kids’ fault. That is the worst coached position in the entire program. 

2 hours ago, Pack13 said:

And that is exactly what the O line looks. Lazy. I don’t think the D line are a bunch of world beaters. Far from it. But when I watch the O line I see no fight. No dog. Nothing. Win or lose they don’t care. Blocking a 3 man rush with 6 blockers and losing is an embarrassment. At some point pride as to kick in. 

Zion is as good as any NT to come out of Lufkin. The defensive line is really good as a whole. Certainly an upgrade from the last few years.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

They can run block. It's pass blocking in the past that has caused problems but using more then 5 blockers like most normal teams will help by time. We asked for Green to different things and as soon as he does you have people still crying.

3 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Does coach Cook get credit for Erik McCoy? He's probably the best offensive lineman to ever play at Lufkin. How is he able to turn McCoy into one of the top offense lineman we have ever had? It's as if having a talented kid helps. 

You got a point there 

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

At some point between now and the start of the season, I would like to list all the Lufkin players with scholarship offers, how many offers and schools that offered.

I know Kedren Young, Zion Williams and Isaiah Menefee have several P5 offers each. There are probably others too. That is why I'm reaching out to everyone. I will start a topic or you can start a topic at some point.

I think Gavin Phillips is a for sure P5 kid. Only a matter of time. I think Elijah Alexander has a chance at DT with his size. Krisean Preston at WR will likely play D1. I think you have another 5-10 kids that will play some type of college football. I could see Evan Young or Kenneth Timmons getting some serious D1 looks at CB. Now the Waters kid that plays CB has a really high floor. He will be a sophomore next season and he was lights out this spring. Mosley another kid at FS that will probably be a D1 kid. They're loaded with talent and they know it. 

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

You got a point there 

Erik McCoy was going to be great no matter who coached him. I just don't think coach Cook is nearly as bad as we give him crap for. He isn't a people person and his coaching style is outdated but that 2017 line was legit. 2019 they weren't bad either. I'm just saying if the best tackle we have can't block a kid how is that on coaching. I can show you all the technique in the world and it won't matter if he's that much better then me. Smart coaches will go with more max protections or using 6 or 7 blockers. The other choice is to let the DE hand your tackle there play after play. 

16 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Does coach Cook get credit for Erik McCoy? He's probably the best offensive lineman to ever play at Lufkin. How is he able to turn McCoy into one of the top offense lineman we have ever had? It's as if having a talented kid helps. 

I  guess, but McCoy is one guy and it was back in 2014.  He gets credit for one. :mellow:

3 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Erik McCoy was going to be great no matter who coached him. I just don't think coach Cook is nearly as bad as we give him crap for. He isn't a people person and his coaching style is outdated but that 2017 line was legit. 2019 they weren't bad either. I'm just saying if the best tackle we have can't block a kid how is that on coaching. I can show you all the technique in the world and it won't matter if he's that much better then me. Smart coaches will go with more max protections or using 6 or 7 blockers. The other choice is to let the DE hand your tackle there play after play. 

I don't know, I will take your word on that.;)  i just want the season to begin so we can watch the action and not talk about it.

29 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Zion is as good as any NT to come out of Lufkin. The defensive line is really good as a whole. You're just hating to hate on that.

I’m not hating to hate. I’m stating what I see. I believe talent can be grown. You seem to think it’s only born. You seem old school, I’m more new school. I think we have established we rarely agree. 

Just now, PackAttack said:

I  guess, but McCoy is one guy and it was back in 2014.  He gets credit for one. :mellow:

Im not giving him credit. I'm just saying it's not all his fault. 2017 Lufkin was pretty good upfront. Ill always be it's more about the players then coaching. Sonny Dykes and TCU are coached about as well as anyone in college football. Georgia just had better trench play and there is absolutely nothing TCU could had done about it. 

1 minute ago, PurpleNation said:

Im not giving him credit. I'm just saying it's not all his fault. 2017 Lufkin was pretty good upfront. Ill always be it's more about the players then coaching. Sonny Dykes and TCU are coached about as well as anyone in college football. Georgia just had better trench play and there is absolutely nothing TCU could had done about it. 

True point.

2 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I’m not hating to hate. I’m stating what I see. I believe talent can be grown. You seem to think it’s only born. You seem old school, I’m more new school. I think we have established we rarely agree. 

I think that's the problem. Parents not investing in there kids outside of HS practice. All the top flight recruits go to camps and play 7 on 7 and have personal trainers and these are kids that play at winning schools too. I think Lufkin develops kids just about as well as anyone. You're not making a Dez Bryant or Jorvorskie Lane. Those kids are born. I'm sure they would love to develop another Reggie McNeal too lol. 

Just now, PurpleNation said:

I think that's the problem. Parents not investing in there kids outside of HS practice. All the top flight recruits go to camps and play 7 on 7 and have personal trainers and these are kids that play at winning schools too. I think Lufkin develops kids just about as well as anyone. You're not making a Dez Bryant or Jorvorskie Lane. Those kids are born. I'm sure they would love to develop another Reggie McNeal too lol. 

I agree talent like you named has genetics on their side. But 22 play in the field and it’s the none genetically gifted  ones I want to see built. I also see your optimism as a parent wanting your kid to be on a good team. I do hope I am wrong. 

I do think there is something to player development at the HS level. I just believe you can only develop a certain kid so much. Every kid has a different ceiling and floor. I've been satisfied with my kids development. But he's also staying after practice working. Some kids have to want it.

4 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I agree talent like you named has genetics on their side. But 22 play in the field and it’s the none genetically gifted  ones I want to see built. I also see your optimism as a parent wanting your kid to be on a good team. I do hope I am wrong. 

It's not just wanting them to be on a good team. I really believe they have a good team. If I thought they wasn't going to be good I would be the first one. I just know what they got in that 25 class and they about to pour up. 

I should probably clarify pour up lol. I think they can go 2-3 rounds deep if they stay healthy. 

22 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think that's the problem. Parents not investing in their kids outside of HS practice. All the top flight recruits go to camps and play 7 on 7 and have personal trainers and these are kids that play at winning schools too. I think Lufkin develops kids just about as well as anyone. You're not making a Dez Bryant or Jorvorskie Lane. Those kids are born. I'm sure they would love to develop another Reggie McNeal too lol. 

Im asking because you seem to be in the know. Where would kids go around here for extra training?

13 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Im asking because you seem to be in the know. Where would kids go around here for extra training?

It depends on the position and it wouldn't be around here and it's going to cost money. Example Krisean Preston needs to go work with Margin Hooks who has helped develop some of the top WRs in the state the last few years like Evan Stewart,Johntay Cook, Kyle Parker, Micah Hudson and even my oldest kid. He will workout kids in Waco and Dallas and you have to go to him. Bam Performance in Austin is good for DB and LB training. Now as far as local Lufkin training I would use Vic Machado. He does a good job. His son Cam Lister had really good footwork that he trained up. But you're also getting good exposure from those elite trainers that college scouts use to find kids. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

It depends on the position and it wouldn't be around here and it's going to cost money. Example Krisean Preston needs to go work with Margin Hooks who has helped develop some of the top WRs in the state the last few years like Evan Stewart,Johntay Cook, Kyle Parker, Micah Hudson and even my oldest kid. He will workout kids in Waco and Dallas and you have to go to him. Bam Performance in Austin is good for DB and LB training. Now as far as local Lufkin training I would use Vic Machado. He does a good job. His son Cam Lister had really good footwork that he trained up.

Figured it was far off. That makes things hard for our kids. Wish we had some resources here

7 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Figured it was far off. That makes things hard for our kids. Wish we had some resources here

But it is worth it especially if you have a kid that's wants to play at the next level. These kids also have to hit these camps. My son that plays down here went to a rivals camp in Dallas with Gavin a few weeks ago. Plan on going to the Houston mega camp in June. He is a kid that will have to maximize his ceiling to play D1. And Vic Machado is a good resource down here for kids that can't go out of city.

I know this has nothing to do with Panther football. Found this track training interesting, this girl is from Stephenville and won the 2023 4A 100M title this year with a 11.35. 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/769285848264414?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz