2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Just seem like we are always a step or two behind everyone else. Even when compared to smaller districts. I know I'm late on this. But was there a reason for Lufkin not to live stream the graduation this year? Not everyone was able to make it out there. I know of several people that live out of town and wanting to tune in. Jacksonville, Tyler, Longview, Nacogdoches and many other districts had live streams available. It's 2023 and shouldn't be that hard to do. It has been done here before. And don't let me get started on the contractor that ran off with the districts money several weeks ago. 

Terrible about the contractor shafting the district on the playground project at the elementary school. Maybe Lufkin ISD can recoup some of that money. 

The graduation live broadcast was a decision by Lufkin ISD. I don't have a clue otherwise.

This is June, we are some 72 days from the start of the 2023 Panther football season, and playing in a loaded 7-5A DI football district. Some have been saying this group over the next 2 or 3 years will elevate Lufkin football again. Last year we were going to be back in the J Lane years, this year it's closer to the 2017-2018 groups. What changed? You know what changed, and it has nothing to do with the kids or talent at hand. Who to believe? I don't know and really don't care at this point. Some of you may say, hey PA your being unfair, give them a chance to prove themselves. Why so negative PA? Not negative at all, frustrated with all the disappointments for the times we have had decent talent, only to fall short again. Okay, I'm just going watch and see what happens, again, just as so many other Lufkin football fans have endured over the years. I'm not alone in this, moderater or not, I'm still a fan too. Being very honest here, and I've reluctantly played this game for many years now, because after all, it is really all about the kids playing the game for me. Not the coaches, they are adults, our tax dollars pay their salary, they all have a job to do, and that's win games. They are really accountable to the tax payer, just as the Superintendent of our ISD. Funny how those people don't think that way.  Therefore, until I see football winning again I trust nothing. Hope this is the year it maybe starts again, it has certainly been a dry 5 years of waiting, 2017 is a long tome ago in football years. If the winning doesn't happen in the next two or three years?, then it will be our own fault for not demanding better, and bloaks like me still attending games and watching these downfallls continue to happen. I still want to see how this season pans out, it will surely tell us all a whole lot about the capibilities of our football staff to win with these kids.  Guess I'll stay a Pack fan for now, till I'm not, if you get what I mean. 😎

Fact is, LP Boys Basketball is by far the premier sports on the Lufkin campus currently. Football is about the 3rd best IMO, it has some catching up to do.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Some have been saying this group over the next 2 or 3 years will elevate Lufkin football again. Last year we were going to be back in the J Lane years, this year it's closer to the 2017-2018 groups. What changed?

That’s my biggest concerns and where my doubts come from lol.. Too much back and forth on what to expect. Y’all know how I feel. Idc if we had the 2004 & 2005 teams back. With this staff and the talent of opponents nowadays, those teams would’ve struggled to get to the semi finals. But in purplenation I trust! He knows more than anyone else and I’m holding on to some hope. 

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

That’s my biggest concerns and where my doubts come from lol.. Too much back and forth on what to expect. Y’all know how I feel. Idc if we had the 2004 & 2005 teams back. With this staff and the talent of opponents nowadays, those teams would’ve struggled to get to the semi finals. But in purplenation I trust! He knows more than anyone else and I’m holding on to some hope. 

Lots of back and forth on what the comparisons to expectations may be. What to expect is a hard thing to negotiate. A different time, a different era of football where the East Texas schools are at a slight disadvantage today because for the most part , we are playing with the kids who grew up here in Lufkin, and didn't transfer in at some point.  I put a lot of trust in PurpleNation and NOT myself to evaluate things for Lufkin football.  Don't bank on anything from myself knowing the potential of this group and how they will come through.  I've got too many games and too many comparisons in my head to make a honest evaluation anymore. Just too hard to separate all the MANY different seasons of talent I've witnessed and try to compare them to each other. It's just become impossible for me to do so, we have had so many great players through the years. I wish all of them from back 20 -25 years ago and forward could come back to talk to today's Pack players, to give them some knowledge of their experiences, and what it took to achieve their success as a player.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've witnessed, this Panther bunch moving forward is very talented and focused on winning. They are young still but very talented, and if you can believe it, the senior group we have this year may not be the most talented we see coming the next 2 years. That's what I've been told from reliable people, and I highly trust their word on that information. So, it becomes very hard not to have better expectations from that information, regardless of our lack of trust elsewhere. 

On 6/11/2023 at 9:46 PM, LPPACK said:

How long does a running qb last? look what we run, this aint college.once or twice a drive maybe. just sayin

Yeah but just the dynamic it would add to have the threat. Defenses would have to game plan a little different. A mobile QB is almost essential in today's game. I think we see both QBs this year for sure. I think they're gonna be ok as long as they can stay healthy at key spots. The defense is  gonna be good but they're a year away from being an elite unit to where I think they will overwhelm teams and keep you in games no matter what. I'm genuinely excited for the season. I think Lufkin is going to be much better then what people think. 

8 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

We would had rolled through Lufkin schedule last year including Longview if we was out there 😂. I don't care who is calling the plays. Give #7 the ball or lob it up to Dez. People also forget how good McKinner Dixon really was. Then Leonard Hewitt. Come on.

16 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

We would had rolled through Lufkin schedule last year including Longview if we was out there 😂. I don't care who is calling the plays. Give #7 the ball or lob it up to Dez. People also forget how good McKinner Dixon really was. Then Leonard Hewitt. Come on.

Some dynamic football days. I remember well.

Let's revisit the 2022 Lufkin Panther football season highlights:  Sometimes you can see different positive perspectives there that maybe we didn't see last year.  Lots of NAC highlights mixed in here. :) Remember these are the highlights. I usually watch on low volume. ;) 

The one thing I really notice is how worn out and old our turf looks at ABE compared to other stadiums.

Some folks don't remember how great a WR Ja'Bryce Taylor was for the Lufkin Panthers. He and QB Tyler Stubblefield had awesome chemistry and really big games in 2012. Let's not forget KeKe Coutee who went on to play in the NFL.  Some good Panther football times.  I'm trying to get you guys keyed up for 2023 and beyond.

Ol Matt Stepp loves Longview. I figure Todd Quick was around there in Tyler that day too.  King always does a good interview, he is a winner for sure. Then again, Quick missing the playoffs the past two season doesn't warrant seeking out an interview I guess.  Stepp also had an interview with the new Legacy coach Beau Trahan.

The thing is, I've grown to have a true appreciation of Coach King and how he and his staff work their butts off every season to put their best football on the field, always pushing to make that playoff run every year. Doing what it takes to get the kids out there and keep an established program going strong. I still don't like Longview, but they sure enjoy winning football games and making playoff runs we have not seen here in Lufkin for a very long time. What John King is doing in Longview says something about him as a coach, IMO he and John Outlaw are right up there together in my book. Just giving props to King where they are due.  Look, I really like Coach Quick as a person, great guy, but he can't say the same as a coach in comparison to King or Outlaw.  Just saying.

22 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Ol Matt Stepp loves Longview. I figure Todd Quick was around there in Tyler that day too.  King always does a good interview, he is a winner for sure. Then again, Quick missing the playoffs the past two season doesn't warrant seeking out an interview I guess.  Stepp also had an interview with the new Legacy coach Beau Trahan.

The thing is, I've grown to have a true appreciation of Coach King and how he and his staff work their butts off every season to put their best football on the field, always pushing to make that playoff run every year. Doing what it takes to get the kids out there and keep an established program going strong. I still don't like Longview, but they sure enjoy winning football games and making playoff runs we have not seen here in Lufkin for a very long time. What John King is doing in Longview says something about him as a coach, IMO he and John Outlaw are right up there together in my book. Just giving props to King where they are due.  Look, I really like Coach Quick as a person, great guy, but he can't same the same as a coach in comparison to King or Outlaw.  Just saying.

Yeah, quick is nowhere near the level of those guys. 

Also, the Dave campbell magazine crew get on my nerves. They have about 12-15 schools that they nut ride to. The rest of the state don’t matter. I’ve seen them talk about dominant programs from the 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s and 2010’s but never once have I heard them talk about Lufkins run from 98-06. Yeah, we’re not at the top of the mountain anymore but neither are a lot of the schools that dominated other eras that I’ve seen them hype up many times. Pretty sure they hate Lufkin for some reason lol 

37 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, quick is nowhere near the level of those guys. 

Also, the Dave campbell magazine crew get on my nerves. They have about 12-15 schools that they nut ride to. The rest of the state don’t matter. I’ve seen them talk about dominant programs from the 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s and 2010’s but never once have I heard them talk about Lufkins run from 98-06. Yeah, we’re not at the top of the mountain anymore but neither are a lot of the schools that dominated other eras that I’ve seen them hype up many times. Pretty sure they hate Lufkin for some reason lol 

There is a lack of something there for sure. Kind of goes back to 2018 and 2019 when DCTF had the Panthers ranked either #1 or #2 most of those years in 5ADI only to see Lufkin pancake in the 1st or 2nd round playoffs.  Coming off 2017, it looked like the Panther program may be on the upswing.  I think after 2018-2019, that's when DCTF finally realized Lufkin could not hold up their predictions, and were no longer near what they use to be under Outlaw.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:50 PM, PurpleNation said:

Yeah but just the dynamic it would add to have the threat. Defenses would have to game plan a little different. A mobile QB is almost essential in today's game. I think we see both QBs this year for sure. I think they're gonna be ok as long as they can stay healthy at key spots. The defense is  gonna be good but they're a year away from being an elite unit to where I think they will overwhelm teams and keep you in games no matter what. I'm genuinely excited for the season. I think Lufkin is going to be much better then what people think. 

You mention using both QBs. Your speaking of situational offensive sets, which sounds great. I like the idea of incorporating this strategy.  It makes our offense more versatile.

There is a lack of something there for sure. Kind of goes back to 2018 and 2019 when DCTF had the Panthers ranked either #1 or #2 most of those years in 5ADI only to see Lufkin pancake in the 1st or 2nd round playoffs.  Coming off 2017, it looked like the Panther program may be on the upswing.  I think after 2018-2019, that's when DCTF finally realized Lufkin could not hold up their predictions, and were no longer near what they use to be under Outlaw.

I have to agree with this. Too many failed expectations, for them to keep having any faith in our program. The most we get these days from them. Is a possible "dark horse" nod to make a little noise. I honestly can't blame them for feeling that way. Not much different than how many of the fans feel now. What has Lufkin accomplished over the last 17 years? Most of those years under Quick. Hardly anything in the post season. It's not too hard to name the highlights.

A 3rd and 4th round appearance in 2012 and 2017. We beat defending state champs Spring DeKaney in the first round in 2012. They were not the same team and had lost their 5* Rb to graduation along with several other key players.  Our biggest win was a playoff game against an undefeated and state ranked Westfield in 2017. Our coaches still tried to give that one away late. We beat 5th ranked College Station the year after they won state. We were ranked #1 that year. They had lost a lot to graduation though.  And we upset 3rd ranked A&M Consolidated on the road this year.

That's pretty much it for our program. Hasn't been much going on here. We'll see how the next few years go. I'm optimistic that things will get better. The talent will be here over the next few years. So no excuses there.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

I have to agree with this. Too many failed expectations, for them to keep having any faith in our program. The most we get these days from them. Is a possible "dark horse" nod to make a little noise. I honestly can't blame them for feeling that way. Not much different than how many of the fans feel now. What has Lufkin accomplished over the last 17 years? Most of those years under Quick. Hardly anything in the post season. It's not too hard to name the highlights.

A 3rd and 4th round appearance in 2012 and 2017. We beat defending state champs Spring DeKaney in the first round in 2012. They were not the same team and had lost their 5* Rb to graduation along with several other key players.  Our biggest win was a playoff game against an undefeated and state ranked Westfield in 2017. Our coaches still tried to give that one away late. We beat 5th ranked College Station the year after they won state. We were ranked #1 that year. They had lost a lot to graduation though.  And we upset 3rd ranked A&M Consolidated on the road this year.

That's pretty much it for our program. Hasn't been much going on here. We'll see how the next few years go. I'm optimistic that things will get better. The talent will be here over the next few years. So no excuses there.

Your right about the lack of playoff success the last 17 years. People forget the last 5 years of Outlaw coaching here (2007-2011) were poor playoff years (1-5) compared his years between 1995-2006 (25-9).  Quick in his 11 year stint is 6-9 overall. You mentioned the last 17 years (2006-2022), for the record, Lufkin is 8-15 in the playoffs the last 17 years. Those are the facts.

Your right about the lack of playoff success the last 17 years. People forget the last 5 years of Outlaw coaching here (2007-2011) were poor playoff years (1-5) compared his years between 1995-2006 (25-9).  Quick in his 11 year stint is 6-9 overall. You mentioned the last 17 years (2006-2022), for the record, Lufkin is 8-15 in the playoffs the last 17 years. Those are the facts.

Looking at the few wins over the last 17 years is big. The 2019 lose I feel set the tone for the last couple years. That was embarrassing. Teams like Longview expect to be 4 rounds deep it seems. Aledo is another team that comes to mind like that. Some teams play to season to get in the playoffs, others play the season to be in the playoffs and there is a big difference. 

2 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Looking at the few wins over the last 17 years is big. The 2019 lose I feel set the tone for the last couple years. That was embarrassing. Teams like Longview expect to be 4 rounds deep it seems. Aledo is another team that comes to mind like that. Some teams play to season to get in the playoffs, others play the season to be in the playoffs and there is a big difference. 

Well put, and you are right. Some coaches play the season just to get a 1-4 spot and whatever happens after that is okay. Whereas Aledo, Longview, Southlake play a season preparing for that playoff run. Never heard it explained that way, makes tons of sense.

🎱 obviously we are penciled into the finals. Ive got faith like a machine. Hiatus is over. Its time to put the purple spanks on  and get this biznotch rolling. I’ll be putting together our offensive line scheme soon. Expect alot of wing T and fancy cheese. Sky is the limit this season. 

12 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

🎱 obviously we are penciled into the finals. Ive got faith like a machine. Hiatus is over. Its time to put the purple spanks on  and get this biznotch rolling. I’ll be putting together our offensive line scheme soon. Expect alot of wing T and fancy cheese. Sky is the limit this season. 

🫡 🔮