2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, PackAttack said:

That's right, you have talked about him a few times here. Personal issues to work out. Didn't you mention he was coming back to Lufkin in 2024? Why would he do that after playing two years at Grand Oaks? Remind me what position he plays.  Would he be a Junior or Senior?

He is going to play Wr at Grand Oaks. They have a kid with an A&M offer at QB in the 26 class. I think the dad wants to move him back at some point so he can play for Lufkin at least 1 year. We will see. He would be a huge addition.

I want to get something off my chest before the season, and it's stuff that has already been bounced around. Most we already know or suspect.  Just saying it's concerning to me as a fan when the coaching staff has to wait for a very talented bunch to come along in order to win anything or hope to win or expect to win more games. What are their expectations with this group coming into view this season? I would really like to know.

To PurpleNation, I have every confidence that Panther football will be better this year and so will most of the 7-5A district.  There is the conceivability there of not making the playoffs again, especially if they allow another McKinney North or Forney loss. Not expecting that to happen, however it's not my mistrust in players that make me think about such things. You guys know what I'm talking about, or the program would not be sitting in it's current position today IMO.

Here is the deal, I fully realize that Lufkin football is not what it was 17-18 years ago, especially 12 years ago, just look at the overall playoff record 7-9 ???, football was the kingpin when Quick took it over. Either his approach, or maybe the Administration has hindered him from making the moves needed to stay on top. PurpleNation could be right that the lack of enough talent has contributed to the fall of the program, and if anyone thinks this has not been a fall, I beg to differ with you.  I think all the above has played a part in this demise. Lufkin finished 6th in district last year, has anyone let that sink in yet??   The Panthers were 5th the year before in 2021.  I know many say the talent was not there, but you see good coaching find a way to take average talent and at least finish 4th many times.  I see it all the time in Texas HS football.  There is not many positives that you can say about the past two season, even though Kedren Young broke some rushing records. Did it get Lufkin into the playoffs, we know it didn't.  

Quick loves to talk about hating to miss the playoffs, how we are going to rectify the situation, he states "this is not Panther football".  It darn sure isn't, we all know that, no one has to tell us that part, we've seen it the past 3 years.  Yet, with all that talk about not meeting expectations we have stayed much the same. The 2020 playoffs and getting beat down 41-5 by Longview in the 1st round and no playoffs the past two years should never been acceptable by this community.  His words have become hollow to our ears.  Fans and this community need to see substance, and winning, not listen to just words any longer.  I'm done now, my soapbox is back in the garage, and I'm waiting to see if we get a real BBQ meal in 2023 or just the smoke from the grill again this fall.

At some point between now and the start of the season, I would like to list all the Lufkin players with scholarship offers, how many offers and schools that offered.

I know Kedren Young, Zion Williams and Isaiah Menefee have several P5 offers each. There are probably others too. That is why I'm reaching out to everyone. I will start a topic or you can start a topic at some point.

Don't know if this is 1st or 2nd team O-line.   This is Spring practice, your evaluation?  Looks like they miss blocks a couple times.   D line looks good.

I can't wait for the season to get here. They're going to be much better then people think. The optics will change after the Longview game win or lose. I expect Lufkin to be very competitive. Longview isn't replacing Jalen Hale or a 3 year starter at QB without any hiccups. If Tatum has to play QB that will be telling on it's own. 

13 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I can't wait for the season to get here. They're going to be much better then people think. The optics will change after the Longview game win or lose. I expect Lufkin to be very competitive. Longview isn't replacing Jalen Hale or a 3 year starter at QB without any hiccups. If Tatum has to play QB that will be telling on it's own. 

The Tatum at QB thing has more to do with Boosie and Mason Washington than any question marks that we have at QB. That's 2 other backs not named Tatum that will play college ball. 

They're trying to get as much talent on the field as possible and Tatum, like so many other baseball studs, actually has a sneaky arm. Not a Haynes King arm but enough to be somewhat effective.

Not sure if it'll happen though. Maverick Rowe looked great this spring.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

The Tatum at QB thing has more to do with Boosie and Mason Washington than any question marks that we have at QB. That's 2 other backs not named Tatum that will play college ball. 

They're trying to get as much talent on the field as possible and Tatum, like so many other baseball studs, actually has a sneaky arm. Not a Haynes King arm but enough to be somewhat effective.

Not sure if it'll happen though. Maverick Rowe looked great this spring.

What I'm saying is you don't just replace a kid with that many starts at QB and not have a drop off most of the time. I don't think King wants to play Tatum at QB if he can help it. The Longview defense should be better but offensively I don't see how they don't take a step back.

PackAttack to answer what you said I think expectations aren’t there for high level play. Talent is important but you have to raise all the talent. Kedren Young is special. He will go 2300 this year, despite the line in front of him. But you have to raise everyone athleticism now a days. I think the Lufkin staff believes you are born athletic and that you can’t build it. Those kids are hugely underdeveloped. 

As for the line. I think the defensive line is good. I think the defense as a whole will do well. That line isn’t good to the point the O line should look that bad. You see no fight or care. For Young to be first team running back with only a second team all district lineman last year is an embarrassment. If they ever get one this year I’ll be amazed. I think the receivers will have the ability to back the safeties off this year but TJ will never have the time on the pocket. They max protected a large majority of the plays last year. That pulls Young out of the passing game which further takes away from this offense. 

All that to say I do think Lufkin can make the playoffs. As long as Young stays healthy. I have a feeling he is going to put on a year to remember. They won’t make a run though. They don’t have the line to do so. 

2 hours ago, Pack13 said:

PackAttack to answer what you said I think expectations aren’t there for high level play. Talent is important but you have to raise all the talent. Kedren Young is special. He will go 2300 this year, despite the line in front of him. But you have to raise everyone athleticism now a days. I think the Lufkin staff believes you are born athletic and that you can’t build it. Those kids are hugely underdeveloped. 

As for the line. I think the defensive line is good. I think the defense as a whole will do well. That line isn’t good to the point the O line should look that bad. You see no fight or care. For Young to be first team running back with only a second team all district lineman last year is an embarrassment. If they ever get one this year I’ll be amazed. I think the receivers will have the ability to back the safeties off this year but TJ will never have the time on the pocket. They max protected a large majority of the plays last year. That pulls Young out of the passing game which further takes away from this offense. 

All that to say I do think Lufkin can make the playoffs. As long as Young stays healthy. I have a feeling he is going to put on a year to remember. They won’t make a run though. They don’t have the line to do so. 

We can’t write the line off just yet . I’m sure they have some JV players trying to gain experience at varsity level .

52 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

What do you see that will be fixed? 

One thing that has been floating around is Cook asking to be reassigned within the district. Not sure if there is any merit in that rumor.   Whether that will make any difference or not ?? Probably should not make that judgement based on how the O-line has performed the last few years under his tutelage.:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

One thing that has been floating around is Cook asking to be reassigned within the district. Not sure if there is any merit in that rumor.   Whether that will make any difference or not ?? Probably should not make that judgement based on how the O-line has performed the last few years under his tutelage.:ph34r:

I’ve heard it was his teaching position he wanted changed and has been awarded that. He will keep his coaching responsibilities. 

Just now, LufkinPack said:

Figures. Dude is hot garbage. Can’t coach for nothing. Lazy as they come.

And that is exactly what the O line looks. Lazy. I don’t think the D line are a bunch of world beaters. Far from it. But when I watch the O line I see no fight. No dog. Nothing. Win or lose they don’t care. Blocking a 3 man rush with 6 blockers and losing is an embarrassment. At some point pride as to kick in. 

39 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I’ve heard it was his teaching position he wanted changed and has been awarded that. He will keep his coaching responsibilities. 

SMH, I give up.  Just being honest, I'm not a fan.  

41 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

And that is exactly what the O line looks. Lazy. I don’t think the D line are a bunch of world beaters. Far from it. But when I watch the O line I see no fight. No dog. Nothing. Win or lose they don’t care. Blocking a 3 man rush with 6 blockers and losing is an embarrassment. At some point pride as to kick in. 

You play how you practice. You practice how you’re taught.