2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

27 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

I agree. I think this program needs some new outside influences at times. 

Internal hires are common in a football program because all those guys are looking to be promoted and get a pay raise. It's a familiarity thing. Bringing in an outsider,as you say, to be an assistant line coach usually is because the HC knows them well. The family situation here within the Lufkin program circle is pretty tight.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Internal hires are common in a football program because all those guys are looking to be promoted and get a pay raise. It's a familiarity thing. Bringing in an outsider,as you say, to be an assistant line coach usually is because the HC knows them well. The family situation here within the Lufkin program circle is pretty tight.

Yea but sometimes it’s not the best thing for the program. Some of these coaches have been with the program since outlaw arrived ! Sometimes bringing in a guy that’s a proven coach can work too. We have been doing a lot of promoting within the program ! But I think we all agree we have experienced a drop off over the years ! Again not all is on the coaches at all. That’s all I’m going to say ! 

7 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

Yea but sometimes it’s not the best thing for the program. Some of these coaches have been with the program since outlaw arrived ! Sometimes bringing in a guy that’s a proven coach can work too. We have been doing a lot of promoting within the program ! But I think we all agree we have experienced a drop off over the years ! Again not all is on the coaches at all. That’s all I’m going to say ! 

I do not disagree with you at all. There are a couple spots for sure I've wanted to see changed for years now. That's no secret. 

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I do not disagree with you at all. There are a couple spots for sure I've wanted to see changed for years now. That's no secret. 

I think we are stuck in our ways in some areas. That has a lot to do with coaching staff! Sometimes when you revamp the staff it will change the culture of the entire program .  

5 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I think the defensive front returned a lot of kids! I think secondary wise they lost some kids. Anyone know of any kids returning in secondary roles? 

Kenneth Timmons and Evan Young are the corners and Menefee at FS are the for sure starters in the secondary. I really think they should use the Scott kid at the other FS spot. Hatton also a viable option.

42 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Kenneth Timmons and Evan Young are the corners and Menefee at FS are the for sure starters in the secondary. I really think they should use the Scott kid at the other FS spot. Hatton also a viable option.

Some new names at corner . Last year corners played well at times! 

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I am a little worried about the offensive line. The lost a pretty decent tackle in McMillan last season. They gotta get better against the blitz. Going to have a better idea tomorrow.

I’m a lot worried. They aren’t returning any all district players. Hopefully they have developed a chip on their shoulders. 

28 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I’m a lot worried. They aren’t returning any all district players. Hopefully they have developed a chip on their shoulders. 

I think Kedren can mask a lot of the problems and the way they can use Gavin will help out. I think Gavin got a little Lane train in him. He is looking as lean as he's ever looked. I wish they would play him both ways or at least money downs on defense. 

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think Kedren can mask a lot of the problems and the way they can use Gavin will help out. I think Gavin got a little Lane train in him. He is looking as lean as he's ever looked. I wish they would play him both ways or at least money downs on defense. 

I hope the H back is used properly. Kedren does mask a lot. I agree. I just don’t want him to have to do that. So much of the offense will rely on sound blocking. Skill positions are there. Still a long time till august. Much can be improved. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I am a little worried about the offensive line. The lost a pretty decent tackle in McMillan last season. They gotta get better against the blitz. Going to have a better idea tomorrow.

Yea that’s the group to watch ! A lot will ride on their improvement as a group 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

If you’re worried, I’m panicking lol.. 

Look, the reality to have an OL that is inadequate more often than good, comes from coaching and not players. O-Lineman are not consistently that way year after year. Just saying. It's just not possible.

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Look, the reality to have an OL that is inadequate more often than good, comes from coaching and not players. O-Lineman are not consistently that way year after year. Just saying. It's just not possible.

I agree for the most part. A lot of the OL is technique and footwork stuff! It does help when you have guys that desire to be dominant and be physical too! 

3 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

it is a bit early to worry just yet! However , I do completely understand the cause for concern, based on the recent past ! 

My only concern is when PurpleNation mentions it, he has a credible eye for those things IMO.

23 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

My only concern is when PurpleNation mentions it, he has a credible eye for those things IMO.

I’ve had coaching experience on the varsity level too. Believe me it’s a real concern no doubt !  At same time spring just started . 

14 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I hope the H back is used properly. Kedren does mask a lot. I agree. I just don’t want him to have to do that. So much of the offense will rely on sound blocking. Skill positions are there. Still a long time till august. Much can be improved. 

I like the H back! I think it can work well if used properly too. Thing is D coordinators will sell out to stop our run for sure. They will live with us completing a pass here & there! 

2 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I’ve had coaching experience on the varsity level too. Believe me it’s a real concern no doubt !  At same time spring just started . 

I must depend on others in the know. Never had any experience playing on the offensive side of things, only faced OTs, pulling Gs, occasionally H-Bs and FBs. Different times, different offenses. No speads to defend, physical blocking on both sides, down and dirty. I've never understood the less physical stand up zone blocking. Defenses are different too,  Hybrid LBs for slot or run cover. Still football, diffent schemes and strategies since all forms of the spread evolved over the past few decades.  Longview still runs the ball old school at times. It gives them some advantage against a spread defense. My problem is I too often look at things with old school lens, which doesn't relate to today at all.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I must depend on others in the know. Never had any experience playing on the offensive side of things, only faced OTs, pulling Gs, occasionally H-Bs and FBs. Different times, different offenses. No speads to defend, physical blocking on both sides, down and dirty. I've never understood the less physical stand up zone blocking. Defenses are different too,  Hybrid LBs for slot or run cover. Still football, diffent schemes and strategies since all forms of the spread evolved over the past few decades.  Longview still runs the ball old school at times. It gives them some advantage against a spread defense. My problem is I too often look at things with old school lens, which doesn't relate to today at all.

Football is a game made complicated by coaches ! Team that blocks better & tackles better will win most games! Your right about the ways offense has evolved today , RPO’s didn’t exist when the spread first became popular !  I strongly believe to be successful in the spread in high school you need a dynamic QB! The kid has to be a threat with his arm or legs, both is even better!