2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

55 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

There is always 11-5A DI, not sure why that has not been considered.

No one wants to come to Lufkin to play. Stepp said himself that Lufkin got a bad deal with all the travel. The  smoke he is talking about is not in regards to Lufkin.

HP may appeal too, so we will see.

Stepp was making a generalization of teams that avoid playing tough non district games. 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I see we're officially looking for a Wk 3 game. Something tells me we're going to get an interesting match-up. Something off the wall.

So it won't be Legacy or AMC. Interesting to see who it may be, I can't begin to guess.

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm not worried about it. Once Lufkin makes the case it won't matter how they voted. Unless the UIL doesn't care about the kids. Lufkin is going to be 9-5A when it's all said and done. 

Think UIL has already proved that. The last two realignments. We wouldn't be in this position if they did.

Gary Ivins doesn't think Lufkin wins an appeal.  I don't think Quick would appealed this until the Administration got involved and asked him to do so.   In his first interview, he made no mention of appeal and said they would just get on the bus and go play. Then things changed to a different direction overnight.

Just now, PackAttack said:

Gary Ivins doesn't think Lufkin wins an appeal.  I don't think Quick would appealed this until the Administration got involved and asked him to do so.   In his first interview, he made no mention of appeal and said they would just get on the bus and go play. Then things changed overnight.

I don't see how we lose an appeal. I remember when they tried to put DeSoto and Rockwall in our district for football only but they appealed and we had to do the round robin format for 2 years. These things get granted when you have a strong case. I get the West Texas schools have it worse but they literally don't have any other choice. I just don't see how they tell us no.

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't see how we lose an appeal. I remember when they tried to put DeSoto and Rockwall in our district for football only but they appealed and we had to do the round robin format for 2 years. These things get granted when you have a strong case. I get the West Texas schools have it worse but they literally don't have any other choice. I just don't see how they tell us no.

I agree. It's all a done deal, just waiting for the official word.  You know that Josuha has DII enrollment numbers and decided to opt up to DI, they peobably want to go back to DII now. HP would rather be  playing further North too, it's not just Lufkin. I've already mentioned schools swapping districts to either even things out or create space for movement. Matt Stepp has mentioned some solutions too.  It's going to be okay.

17 hours ago, PackAttack said:

So it won't be Legacy or AMC. Interesting to see who it may be, I can't begin to guess.

Legacy has Marshall Week 3, I'm not sure who A&M has Week 3 but their coach made it seem like it was already filled with this tweet: 

Forney ended up filling that Week 2 spot for them.

Lufkin's Week 3 appears to be a really random Texas opponent, or maybe even someone out of state.

Due to the amount of travel that would be necessary in District 7-5A DI, which Lufkin was placed in for football Thursday in the biennial University Interscholastic League realignment, the school is going through an appeal process to be accepted into a new district.

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/lufkin-going-through-appeals-process-to-change-districts/article_32abcab4-c1eb-11ee-b765-5ba58a32d432.html

“We’re concerned for our kids and the travel with six of the seven schools we are placed with being three to four hours away,” Lufkin head football coach and athletic director Todd Quick said. “We are more concerned with our Thursday night travel (with sub-varsity teams) and our kids getting home at 1 or 2 in the morning and having to be at school on Friday. We are looking out for all our kids in this process.”

Quick said a form was sent to each district to vote whether to accept Lufkin leaving the district it was placed in and to come into the new district.

The other schools in the newly formed 7-5A DI are Tyler, Highland Park, Burleson Centennial, Cleburne, Joshua, Midlothian and Red Oak. Those schools unanimously agreed to the request.

Lufkin appealed to be moved into District 9-5A DI, which currently has seven teams. Those schools are Beaumont United, Beaumont West Brook, Baytown Sterling, Galveston Ball, Angleton, Barbers Hill and Port Arthur Memorial.

Those schools voted not to allow Lufkin into the district.

Due to those decisions, the appeals process date has been set and will be heard Feb. 20.

Along with the realignment news, the Panthers are also working on filling in the third game of the season.

The first two weeks have been set with games scheduled against Longview and Nacogdoches.

”Those two games we’d already had conversations, but we are still looking for a game in Week 3,” Quick said.

Edwin Quarles' email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

My question is why is 11-5A DI NOT in play with this appeal effort? Yes, 9-5ADI voted not to allow Lufkin into their district, but they would not be opposed to Crosby moving over from 11-5A DI, and then Lufkin would have a space to go into 11-5A DI.  What am I missing here?

Lufkin to: 11-5A DI

Crosby moves over to 9-5A with Barbers Hill.

Then you have an 11-5A DI with 8 teams:

Lufkin

Humble Kingwood Park - 100 mi

Friendswood - 150 mi

LaPorte - 138 mi

New Caney Porter - 90 mi

Pasadena - 130 mi

Houston Spring Woods - 130 mi

Ft Bend Kemper - 140 mi

I'd welcome the Pack in. Good banter. Good kids. 

1 hour ago, mr. b said:

That is funny how in Quicks first interview a bus ride was no big deal and appeals take time and weren’t worth it.  Wonder what happened now that he says the opposite. 

Because the Administration came in after many parents aired their concerns about the matter. Otherwise ......you would have seen the bus trips. There is no steam left in boiler with these guys.

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

My question is why is 11-5A DI NOT in play with this appeal effort? Yes, 9-5ADI voted not to allow Lufkin into their district, but they would not be opposed to Crosby moving over from 11-5A DI, and then Lufkin would have a space to go into 11-5A DI.  What am I missing here?

Lufkin to: 11-5A DI

Crosby moves over to 9-5A with Barbers Hill.

Then you have an 11-5A DI with 8 teams:

Lufkin

Humble Kingwood Park - 100 mi

Friendswood - 150 mi

LaPorte - 138 mi

New Caney Porter - 90 mi

Pasadena - 130 mi

Houston Spring Woods - 130 mi

Ft Bend Kemper - 140 mi

That district makes more sense, but Friendswood and Kemper would say no to Lufkin joining too imo. It is what it is at this point. But i hope the UIL does the right thing. Just not expecting it. If HP said something, then we would definitely get moved. 

The talk is HP getting moved from 7-5A DI to 6-5A DI. Then West Mesqite and North Mesqite moved to 7-5A DI, LESS Lufkin to 9-5A DI. Makes perfect sense to me.

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

That district makes more sense, but Friendswood and Kemper would say no to Lufkin joining too imo. It is what it is at this point. But i hope the UIL does the right thing. Just not expecting it. If HP said something, then we would definitely get moved. 

There is always someone in a district who would vote against a move, cause they don't want to travel to Lufkin. They don't want to give up a possible playoff spot. I think 11-5A would be a good district, however 9-5A DI is better as far as playoff matchups. UIL will have to decide this thing. There may be some concessions made in order to make things fit, but it will get done regardless.

6 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

The district doesn't matter. 2024 state champs!

It wouldn't matter to me so much where we end up if I were not still attending games. Have been pretty disappointed a long time in the program's lack of success, especially the past three seasons. PurpleNation has me hanging on one more year, despite my worn out confidence in the current program leadership.