2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Stepp knows people in the UIL, he has been around them long enough to know their tendencies, and see how the school landscapes with enrollments and new schools have changed since the previous realignment.  Even we can be sort of close but not exact. With Lufkin right smack in the middle of Deep East Texas, we will always be a fill in school North or South to achieve a 7 or 8 team district for the UIL.   We are not a football powerhouse or even a top contender as a program, Lufkin gets no special considerations from the UIL.  In fact, don't think anyone in East Texas does if they are a 5A DI or 6A program.  There is just nothing else to do with us. 

Someone ask me the other day about why most of the teams Lufkin plays in all other sports are 5A DII schools, why can't we play those same folks in football.  Well, it's because there are no divisions in 5A in all other UIL sports played, if your 5A you can play each other in a district, just like 6A football.  Football is divided in 5A DI and 5A DII districts by enrollment.

For example: During the 2014 and 2015 seasons Lufkin played in an East Texas district with Nacogdoches, John Tyler, Whitehouse, Lindale, Ennis, Jacksonville and Corsicana.  Lufkin did not dominate, they didn't win any State Championships, in fact they finished 5-6 and 7-4 respectively, losing to Longview both years in the 1st round of the playoffs. It wouldn't be much different today if they were put into a similar East Texas district with Tyler, Marshall, Nacogdoches, Pine Tree, Whitehouse and a couple more.  Not sure they would win more or less than they have the past 3 or 4 years.  Anyway, that's not the way the UIL works things for football, and Lufkin will be required to travel long distances no matter where they end up to play the next two seasons. Until a 7A comes a long or the unlikely occurrence Lufkin drops to 5A DII (the enrollment would need to drop 257 students) , this is where Lufkin is for the foreseeable future.

I don't have a problem going to Houston. It's just Dallas makes 0 sense. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I just wish we could move over to region 3. The possibility of a playoff run is much greater over there. Of course, Mr Quick has to get us there first. 

I've been wishing for Region III for the last  6 years. It's a total shame that the UIL puts SE Texas in Region II, that's simply because there has only been 2 or 3 other 5A DI schools between the DFW and SE TX/Conroe area.   I was hoping enough growth would happen in the DFW area to make the switch.  Unfortunately it hasn't evolved that way. Maybe if we didn't have the 5A district splits like 6A it would be different.   You have Houston ISD schools closer to Lufkin in Region III and then have PAM, BWB and Barbers Hill, all further away in Region II.

I think I called it going up north. Highland park and red oak are tough. Midlothian runs the flex bone. They’ve gives teams like Aledo fits over the years. Tyler is going to be tough again. I think you really look at 5 teams including Lufkin battling for four playoff spots 

Just now, PackAttack said:

Distance from Lufkin to:

Highland Park - 175 mi

Burleson - 202 mi

Red Oak - 175 mi

Midlothian - 178 mi

Tyler - 84 mi

Cleburne - 195 mi

Joshua - 203 mi

And 9-5A only has 7 teams. I don't understand this at all. If I were coach Quick I would 100% petition to play in 9-5A based on travel alone. 

Lufkin to: 11-5A DI

Crosby - 125 mi

Humble Kingwood Park - 100 mi

Friendswood - 150 mi

LaPorte - 138 mi

New Caney Porter - 90 mi

Pasadena - 130 mi

Houston Spring Woods - 130 mi

Ft Bend Kemper - 140 mi

8 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

And 9-5A only has 7 teams. I don't understand this at all. If I were coach Quick I would 100% petition to play in 9-5A based on travel alone. 

Exactly. Ain’t no way anybody can justify us being in 7-5A when literally district 9 has space and is so much closer to us. 

1 minute ago, LufkinPack said:

Exactly. Ain’t no way anybody can justify us being in 7-5A when literally district 9 has space and is so much closer to us. 

And it has nothing to do with the competition. I think we're going to be more then competitive. This is all about traveling on a Friday night and then having to drive back just to watch my kid play in person. The UIL is trash for this and Quick needs to petition to play in 11-5A 

Lufkin distance to 9-5A DI:

Angleton - 162 mi

Baytown Sterling - 136 mi

Beaumont United - 106 mi

Beaumont Westbrook - 106 mi

Galveston Ball - 168 mi

Barbers Hill - 123 mi

Port Arthur Memorial - 123 mi

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin distance to 9-5A DI:

Angleton - 162 mi

Baytown Sterling - 136 mi

Beaumont United - 106 mi

Beaumont Westbrook - 106 mi

Galveston Ball - 168 mi

Barbers Hill - 123 mi

Port Arthur Memorial - 123 mi

The fact that we're closer to Galveston then any other school in our district outside of Tyler is laughable. 11-5A is the obvious fit.