2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

There is a huge difference in travel mileage for Lufkin between this new 7-5A DI and districts 9-5A DI and 11-5A DI down South of Lufkin.  UIL did not do Lufkin a service at all, and there is room for us in either one of those district to the South.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, PackAttack said:

There is a huge difference in travel mileage for Lufkin between this new 7-5A DI and districts 9-5A DI and 11-5A DI down South of Lufkin.  UIL did not do Lufkin a service at all, and there is room for us in either one of those district to the South.

Can Coach Quick not petition this? That would seem like the logical choice. Fans don't deserve this another 2 years. 

6 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

And it has nothing to do with the competition. I think we're going to be more then competitive. This is all about traveling on a Friday night and then having to drive back just to watch my kid play in person. The UIL is trash for this and Quick needs to petition to play in 11-5A 

I agree 100%. This is Ludacris for you guys with kids on the team. Absolutely ridiculous. I’d love to smack highland park around but we need to be moved. 

6 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Can Coach Quick not petition this? That would seem like the logical choice. Fans don't deserve this another 2 years. 

If Quick or the Lufkin school district does not petition for a move South, then I guess they don't care about the extra travel to the fan base.  I mean Joshua, Cleburne and Burleson are way over South of Ft Worth, Texas.  

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

If Quick or the Lufkin school district does not petition for a move South, then I guess they don't care about the extra travel to the fan base.  I mean Joshua, Cleburne and Burleson are way over South of Ft Worth, Texas.  

They have too. I can't drive to Dallas and back on a Friday night. 

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The fan base that actually goes to games are already slim. The parents of the players is who this sucks for the most. It’s tough for people to make this travel now days. Getting home at like 2 am? Nah that’s ridiculous. 

Sorry, Lufkin really got screwed in this deal for the 200 mile plus mile travel trips in 7-5A DI, when they could have easily placed Lufkin South in district 9-5A DI or 11-5A DI, and traveled just 90-130 miles instead. Not great for Tyler either, but they are much closer to DFW than Lufkin, and Cleburne, Joshua and Burleson are all directly South of Ft Worth.  No where close to Lufkin, anyone checked a map on that one?, someone at the UIL has a misconception of time and space between Lufkin and those schools. You can bet your bottom dollar too, that HP, Cleburne, Joshua and Burleson, even Midlothian, don't want to travel to Lufkin to play.

There is no doubt that Joshua, Cleburne, Midlothian, Burleson Centennial. H Park and Red Oak should be in a district together, all six  are in closer proximity to each other.   The UIL just threw in Tyler and Lufkin as fillers. The UIL put 9 teams in Districts 5A and 6A DI.    Tyler should stay in 7-5A simply because they are about 140 miles round trip closer to all those South of Ft Worth opponents than Lufkin. That would make a decent 7 team district.   They don't need Lufkin there. 

3 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

God I'm so glad we moved up.

The travel in 5AD1 is awful but, this is what you get when you pre split divisions. Should've stayed with post split. 

Tasty non district schedule for Longview. Lufkin, Marshall, SOC and Ruston, LA (won state). 

Lufkin has Longview and Nacogdoches in non-district, and it depends on whether we just take this 7-5A DI  placement lying down or petition a change on whether we play a third game in pre district. 

This is the set up for all other sports the next two years: District 10-5A, a tough 9 team district.  You better be ready to play and protect your turf.

FB_IMG_1706808639412.jpg

22 hours ago, cujo2002 said:

I just want to know who the 3rd team is going to be TH non district game.

Since JT bowed out playing Longview, I'm sure Lufkin will take the easy path they always have done to stick with familiar foes. I'm sure Lufkin will play Legacy or AMC as their third or fourth game, depending on whether they stay in 7-5A or hopefully petition to move down South. If we move South, it could be Tyler High.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Sorry, Lufkin really got screwed in this deal for the 200 mile plus mile travel trips in 7-5A DI, when they could have easily placed Lufkin South in district 9-5A DI or 11-5A DI, and traveled just 90-130 miles instead. Not great for Tyler either, but they are much closer to DFW than Lufkin, and Cleburne, Joshua and Burleson are all directly South of Ft Worth.  No where close to Lufkin, anyone checked a map on that one?, someone at the UIL has a misconception of time and space between Lufkin and those schools. You can bet your bottom dollar too, that HP, Cleburne, Joshua and Burleson, even Midlothian, don't want to travel to Lufkin to play.

I know this isn’t ideal for fans/parents living in Lufkin with the travel, but I like it since I live in the Metroplex 😁. As for the players, I recall enjoying the three hour jaunt to Texarkana when they were in our district because it got me out of school earlier. 😃

11 minutes ago, LPanther said:

I know this isn’t ideal for fans/parents living in Lufkin with the travel, but I like it since I live in the Metroplex 😁. As for the players, I recall enjoying the three hour jaunt to Texarkana when they were in our district because it got me out of school earlier. 😃

I understand your point of view, but for the 1000-2000 fans who normally travel to these games, many will not attend now if this district placement stands as is. There is no way most could leave work in time to make such a trip and then get home at 2 AM or spend the money to stay overnight and return on Saturday.  It's not just the fans, it really impacts the band, drill team, cheerleaders and cheer squad members.  This does not take in the travel on Thursdays for the sub Varsity football teams, getting home at 1 AM and going to school on Friday.

Its nice to have JAM Digital broadcast the games, however that is not a good substitute to fans being there live to support the team. Those players can't see or hear you sitting in your living room watching the game.

Nice to live close there, but it's a much bigger issue for those who are here in Lufkin and the students.

Move Crosby over from 11-5A DI to 9-5A DI and put Lufkin in 11-5A DI.  Easy fix.

District 10-5A DI only has 8 teams too, Lufkin could go that way as well.  Still 11-5A DI is the best fit, and I can't understand how the UIL missed that point.

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

I’m still shocked we’re in a district with Ft Worth teams. You gotta hope Hp fans make a big deal about this one otherwise we may be screwed in travel. Traveling through the Dfw on a Friday night is already crazy. 

True, only thing that might save us would be an upset HP

1 hour ago, mr. b said:

True, only thing that might save us would be an upset HP

Guys, it doesn't matter one hand full of corn or another.  We still have the same group here who haven't achieved a playoff game in 3 years, much less won a 1st round game since 2018. This morning was a surprise to me, I think Pack13 sort of had a bead on things.  I just knew we would go South, but DeSoto opting up to 6A changed things for Lufkin. We became the UIL pawn to finish out an 8 team district. Tyler was going there anyway.  My hope is Lufkin ISD will petition a move South.

Coach Todd Quick's Realignment reaction:

He says no big deal. No appeal mentioned, just we can get on a bus and go anywhere. That's on par to the standard coach speak.  

By the way, it's an 8 team district with 7 district games.