2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

22 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I truly believe every word you speak. Said this last year, if the coaching staff put those kids in the right positions and used them correctly, then we are good to go. My apologies, I suffer from huge trust issues with the offensive staff. Hope they can overcome this to be successful.

I'm hanging my hat on the defense. I think they will be one of the better units in 5A. The offense has potential. They will hit their fair share of big plays and I'm sure at times struggle to find a rhythm. We will find out real quick just how much more improved they're out the gate against Longview. Highschool football is usually dictated by returning starters,SRs and star players. If Lufkin can't put together a good season it will be highly disappointing. I just look at the roster and they have no business not being competitive against anyone on the schedule. I think we all know the possibilities if we go Region 3. College Station is probably the best team in that Region now with Smithson Valley back in Region 4. Same kids we beat as freshman missing 5 starters due to injury. Not saying it's going to be a cake walk because Port Arthur and Barbers Hill have good programs but it's definitely more manageable with what seems to me at least the best team we've had on paper since 2017 easily. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to watching intently to see how things turn out. As I always say, results never lie over time to how successful or not a program is in a coaches career. I think along the same line as Timeout. The building process of leading to playoff success this coming season or for the future has not been there in the results the past three years. Successful programs do it much differently. I've said this several times, do not believe a programs leadership can just turn on and off the winning switch when they want.  There are those one year wonder teams, that you do see from year to year.

4 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think the meeting is the 20th and decision on the 21st

It would better suit yall for travel purposes to be in 10-5A D1, but personally I have no issue with LP being in our district. 

I can't believe they wanted yall in a district with Burleson Centennial, that's beyond crazy. 

3 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

It would better suit yall for travel purposes to be in 10-5A D1, but personally I have no issue with LP being in our district. 

I can't believe they wanted yall in a district with Burleson Centennial, that's beyond crazy. 

No to 10-5A DI, district not competitive enough IMO.

Just now, PackAttack said:

I agree with that statement, my thing is about traveling to away games. 

6 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Is it 11-5A that fits us best? Anything but Dallas and I'll be happy. As cool as it would be to play Highland Park I would like to be able to travel to the games in person for my son SR season. Just no way I'm making a drive to Joshua or Cleburne on a Friday night. 

I've been looking at some old cases on schools appealing to move districts for football and most of the time it's denied but they will let them move for all other sports. Maybe not as confident as I once was. I can see the UIL saying it's only a few games and it's a non school night even though the sub varsity kids will suffer. Maybe the social media uproar will force their hand. 

10 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I've been looking at some old cases on schools appealing to move districts for football and most of the time it's denied but they will let them move for all other sports. Maybe not as confident as I once was. I can see the UIL saying it's only a few games and it's a non school night even though the sub varsity kids will suffer. Maybe the social media uproar will force their hand. 

I’ve never felt good about it because you are trying to tell the boss they are wrong. UIL already thought that was the best location. I do think it’s a tougher district than either of the two Houston once’s. Honestly I’m worried about playoffs in district 7

On 2/6/2024 at 7:37 AM, PurpleNation said:

2 years ago that SR class just wasn't very good and last year outside of Kedren that SR class didn't offer much. This 25 class is by far the best we've had in a while. They already have 4 kids with D1 offers and another 2-3 that will likely get some D1 offers not including any kids from the 26 class. They will have somewhere between 16-17 starters coming back with a bunch of SRs.  Also Lufkin was in a brutal district. I don't think they were nearly as bad as the record indicated last year. Pushed Forney and Lancaster to the wire and they both went 4 and 5 rounds deep. I get the hesitation but I expect them to kick the door wide open this season no matter what district they put us in. Region 3 would be more advantageous but they will be able to compete with anyone in Region 2. This was always the year for me. The concern is the offensive line. I'm not worried about Johnson. He is going to make some plays with his feet that we haven't seen in a very long time. They're putting in work every weekend outside of school. As freshman they dominated like no other freshmen team in recent memory. I fully expect we will see that translate in the fall.

The last senior class had 3/5 starters on the offensive line, 600 yard receiver, 2  starters in the rb group (One being Kedren Young ) and a experienced qb this is not even mentioning the 2 top 5 seniors in tackles on the defensive end. I think saying they didn’t offer much is underrating the last class. I do think the team should win games but the last 2 teams also should’ve won more games 

22 minutes ago, Jack Walker said:

The last senior class had 3/5 starters on the offensive line, 600 yard receiver, 2  starters in the rb group (One being Kedren Young ) and a experienced qb this is not even mentioning the 2 top 5 seniors in tackles on the defensive end. I think saying they didn’t offer much is underrating the last class. I do think the team should win games but the last 2 teams also should’ve won more games 

Compared to what they will be bringing back next year. Outside Kedren and Menefee I don't know where we're not getting better maybe outside the 1 offensive line spot. 

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

If this petition to move districts is not approve, you can count me out going to those long away games. I'm not the only one either and the players will suffer for it, because they will have fewer fans following to watch them play. I'm still ticked off about the UIL putting the Panthers in 7-5A DI two years ago with McKinney North, West Mesquite, North Mesquite and Forney, even Lancaster. This 7-5A DI would be 2X worse for travel. UIL probably doesn't care as long as they get their precious 8 and 9 team districts set up. 

15 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I’ve never felt good about it because you are trying to tell the boss they are wrong. UIL already thought that was the best location. I do think it’s a tougher district than either of the two Houston once’s. Honestly I’m worried about playoffs in district 7

That’s the main reason i don’t think it happens. These are the same people that thought this was a good idea to put us in a district with FT worth teams. 

18 hours ago, PackAttack said:

But it’s still better for travel reasons imo. I don’t care about the competition part. This isn’t the past Pack teams. 

Regardless, i don’t see it happening unless HP makes a big deal about it. We should just prepare for being in district with these DFW area schools. 

28 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

But it’s still better for travel reasons imo. I don’t care about the competition part. This isn’t the past Pack teams. 

Regardless, i don’t see it happening unless HP makes a big deal about it. We should just prepare for being in district with these DFW area schools. 

Well, HP is not making a big deal about being in 7-5A DI, so take that as you will. I'm not thinking either way, it just common sense to put Lufkin South and not North. Does UIL use that common sense?

6 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I’m sure we’re screwed. My only hope is we have a really good team this year and we beat all of their a$$es up north. 

I'm not anything close to what I once was about HS football around here, most times I feel it doesn't matter what district we play. The lack of success the past 15 years has rolled flat most of my expectation under this current leadership. Maybe the kids understanding what it takes to win has changed too. I don't know. Just never thought I would see Lufkin fall into a school just hoping to make the playoffs as their main goal. You know?, any team out there can do that!

I just have no stomach to watch losing football around here any longer. To me, it's losing football when your not making the playoffs, or getting kicked out the first round most of the time. Like I said, any team can pull that off. It's nothing special.