2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, mrballin936 said:

Do coach Quick be in Athletics class doing last period just wondering 

Whatever time the team has their off season workouts, if it's the last period, he would probably be there. 

30 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Still no word on Lufkin's Week 3 game. Has the district schedule even been released yet? And does anyone have the spring football dates?

Yeah, I'm trying to see if we're headed to Abe Week 1. We know the rest of our schedule, but the Lufkin side is being extremely secretive and quiet for no reason.

I have a feeling we're headed to Lufkin though, since we have SOC and Ruston at home.

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Still no word on Lufkin's Week 3 game. Has the district schedule even been released yet? And does anyone have the spring football dates?

No news that  I can find.  LHS last day of school is May 22nd, 2024 so I assume the Spring Game would be the week before, somewhere around May 15th or 16th. Depends on certain things panning out.

My hope is we open at home against Longview on August 30th,  Tyler has us scheduled game #4 , on Sept 20th at MF Rose.  Nacogdoches will be on Sept 13th, it was on the road last year but that is no bearer of where it will fall on the schedule in 2024.  That game three location is probably a road game, just guessing at this point.  Stuff like getting schedule information out around here quickly has never been a priority. I do know we play at Galveston Ball on Nov. 9th, which is last game on the schedule.

6 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

Yeah, I'm trying to see if we're headed to Abe Week 1. We know the rest of our schedule, but the Lufkin side is being extremely secretive and quiet for no reason.

I have a feeling we're headed to Lufkin though, since we have SOC and Ruston at home.

That will definitely help to get Longview out the gate at home. Makes sense if you guys already have Ruston and SOC at Lobo.

I'm not sure why we haven't released a schedule yet. We have to be having a difficult time finding a week 3. I just figured the district schedule has to be out somewhere 

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

No news that  I can find.  LHS last day of school is May 22nd, 2024 so I assume the Spring Game would be the week before, somewhere around May 15th or 16th. Depends on certain things panning out.

My hope is we open at home against Longview on August 30th,  Tyler has us scheduled game #4 , on Sept 20th at MF Rose.  Nacogdoches will be on Sept 13th, it was on the road last year but that is no bearer of where it will fall on the schedule in 2024.  That game three location is probably a road game, just guessing at this point.  Stuff like getting schedule information out around here quickly has never been a priority. I do know we play at Galveston Ball on Nov. 9th, which is last game on the schedule.

Thanks. I just figured something would have leaked by now 

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

That will definitely help to get Longview out the gate at home. Makes sense if you guys already have Ruston and SOC at Lobo.

I'm not sure why we haven't released a schedule yet. We have to be having a difficult time finding a week 3. I just figured the district schedule has to be out somewhere 

I had ours until yall and Angleton appeal went thru, now I'm having trouble finding our new one since we had to add a week-4 non-district game to it. 

13 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Man it's been tons of teams inquiring about Week 3 games. No reason why Lufkin shouldn't have one.

But if you wait too long, you're stuck with a team from Mexico again.

This is the best 2024 Lufkin Football schedule I can put together from some research of other schedules.

Aug 30th - vs Longview TBA

Sept 6th - vs Nacogdoches -  Home  https://www.nacisd.org/o/nac-isd/page/football

Sept 13 -  TBD  Still searching around, possibly a Louisiana team.

Sept 20th - @ Tyler - Away 

https://twitter.com/TylerLionsFB/status/1760037349738627214/photo/1

Sept 27th - vs Barbers Hill - Home * 

:https://twitter.com/abseckbhfb/status/1760748788589707487/photo/1

Oct 4th - @ Beaumont West Brook* - Away

https://twitter.com/football_brook/status/1762891999567315264/photo/1

Oct 11th -

Oct 18th - vs Baytown Sterling - Home * 

https://twitter.com/RSS_RangersFB/status/1760711062167376246/photo/1

Oct 25th -

Nov 1st - vs Beaumont United - Home *  

https://twitter.com/BmtUnitedFtbl/status/1760460367380037816/photo/1

Nov 8th - @ Galveston Ball  - Away*  

https://twitter.com/GalvestonFB/status/1762146996893225251/photo/1

The only other district schedule not out there is Port Arthur Memorial, this to determine that game date and our off week. I'm putting my money on an away game to PAM on 10/25 and an OPEN WEEK for 10/11.  

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

This is the best 2024 Lufkin Football schedule I can put together from some research of other schedules.

Sept 6th - vs Nacogdoches -  Home  https://www.nacisd.org/o/nac-isd/page/football

Sept 13 -  TBD  Still searching around, possibly a Louisiana team.

Sept 20th - @ Tyler - Away 

https://twitter.com/TylerLionsFB/status/1760037349738627214/photo/1

Sept 27th - vs Barbers Hill - Home * 

:https://twitter.com/abseckbhfb/status/1760748788589707487/photo/1

Oct 4th - @ Beaumont West Brook* - Away

https://twitter.com/football_brook/status/1762891999567315264/photo/1

Oct 11th -

Oct 18th - vs Baytown Sterling - Home * 

https://twitter.com/RSS_RangersFB/status/1760711062167376246/photo/1

Oct 25th -

Nov 1st - vs Beaumont United - Home *  

https://twitter.com/BmtUnitedFtbl/status/1760460367380037816/photo/1

Nov 8th - @ Galveston Ball  - Away*  

https://twitter.com/GalvestonFB/status/1762146996893225251/photo/1

The only other district schedule not out there is Port Arthur Memorial, this to determine that game date and our off week. I'm putting my money on an away game to PAM on 10/25 and an OPEN WEEK for 10/11.  

Looks like it has to be on the road to PAM on the 25th. Already have 3 home district games and BH plays PAM on the 11th. Thanks this was definitely better than nothing.

Sept 6th - vs Nacogdoches 

September 13th- TBD

Sept 20th - @ Tyler 

Sept 27th - vs Barbers Hill

Oct 4th - @ West Brook 

Oct 11th - Bye Week

Oct 18th - vs Baytown Sterling 

Oct 25th - @ PAM 

Nov 1st - vs Beaumont United

Nov 8th - @ Galveston Ball 

So from process of elimination. This looks like Lufkin's schedule. Longview Home/Away is kinda up in the air although it appears like it will be in Lufkin and still no Week 3 game.

27 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Sept 6th - vs Nacogdoches 

September 13th- TBD

Sept 20th - @ Tyler 

Sept 27th - vs Barbers Hill

Oct 4th - @ West Brook 

Oct 11th - Bye Week

Oct 18th - vs Baytown Sterling 

Oct 25th - @ PAM 

Nov 1st - vs Beaumont United

Nov 8th - @ Galveston Ball 

So from process of elimination. This looks like Lufkin's schedule. Longview Home/Away is kinda up in the air although it appears like it will be in Lufkin and still no Week 3 game.

That's about the way I figure too. Not bad road trips overall.  Tyler or possible Longview on the road is tough. PAM is a big district game.  I figure Beaumont United and Barbers Hill are huge too.  Don't know enough about everyone else.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

That's about the way I figure too. Not bad road trips overall.  Tyler or possible Longview on the road is tough. PAM is a big district game.  I figure Beaumont United and Barbers Hill are huge too.  Don't know enough about everyone else.

I agree. Barbers Hill and PAM will be really good games. The rest of district not so much. 

20 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I agree. Barbers Hill and PAM will be really good games. The rest of district not so much. 

What happened to West Brook? They played LV in the title game in what 2018? and i guess kinda fell off like we did. 

23 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

What happened to West Brook? They played LV in the title game in what 2018? and i guess kinda fell off like we did. 

Coach Peevey left to go to Little Cypress-Mauriceville in 2021 and they hired an Alum to replace him and he's won 6 games in his 3 years at Westbrook and he got 5 of those wins in the first year lol. Lufkin has been down bad these last 3 years but it hasn't gotten that bad 😂. Westbrook is at rock bottom right now coming off an 0-10 season. 

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Coach Peevey left to go to Little Cypress-Mauriceville in 2021 and they hired an Alum to replace him and he's won 6 games in his 3 years at Westbrook and he got 5 of those wins in the first year lol. Lufkin has been down bad these last 3 years but it hasn't gotten that bad 😂. Westbrook is at rock bottom right now coming off an 0-10 season. 

What is the hidden message here?, don't hire an Alumni as your coach? LOL

SMH, I've grown not to have any feeling about it one way or another.  That's how far I've been pulled down.  The past and present board has allowed this once credible football program to slide into nothing special to talk about in Texas football.

Lufkin ISD honors and talks about, and just about lives on the John Outlaw way and his legend. Well, what we have now was never his way!!!!!  Everything this program has been the past 5 or 6 years runs contrary to, and you might say obliterates everything John Outlaw tried to build here IMO.  I guarantee HE would not have wanted to be part of where this program exist today.  No matter what happens, whether someone new comes in here or not someday, it would take a good 4 or 5 years to turn around the complacent lack of winning mentality that exist today. These kids do not know what it takes to win big games. They try to blame it on COVID, or playing in an extremely tough district the past two or three years, I call BS. 

In the 83 year history of Lufkin Panther football before Coach Outlaw arrived, the Panthers had won a total of 14 playoff games. In his 17 years as the leader of the Pack, the program added an additional 27 playoff victories against 14 losses. Coach’s record in Lufkin was 174-45-1 for a 79% winning record.  He overcame most any obstacle or for that matter any highly competitive district he was a part of coaching against.  No excuses from him. Since Outlaw passed away in 2011. Lufkin has won 6 playoff games and lost 9 under Quick (85-50) in 12 year.  Even with what Outlaw did accomplish here some may say it pales in comparison to other coaches like Todd Dodge, Scott Surrat and Randy Allen. Maybe even John King.  In all honesty, what he accomplished here was remarkable since football had such few playoff successes before he arrived, or since his time here.  Pretty special football coach for sure, could sure use another one like him.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

What is the hidden message here?, don't hire an Alumni as your coach? LOL

SMH, I've grown not to have any feeling about it one way or another.  That's how far I've been pulled down.  The past and present board has allowed this once credible football program to slide into nothing special to talk about in Texas football.

Lufkin ISD honors and talks about, and just about lives on the John Outlaw way and his legend. Well, what we have now was never his way!!!!!  Everything this program has been the past 5 or 6 years runs contrary to, and you might say obliterates everything John Outlaw tried to build here IMO.  I guarantee HE would not have wanted to be part of where this program exist today.  No matter what happens, whether someone new comes in here or not someday, it would take a good 4 or 5 years to turn around the complacent lack of winning mentality that exist today. These kids do not know what it takes to win big games. They try to blame it on COVID, or playing in an extremely tough district the past two or three years, I call BS. 

In the 83 history of Lufkin Panther football before Coach Outlaw arrived, the Panthers had won a total of 14 playoff games. In his 17 years as the leader of the Pack, the program added an additional 27 playoff victories against 14 losses. Coach’s record in Lufkin was 174-45-1 for a 79% winning record.  He overcame most any obstacle or for that matter any highly competitive district he was a part of coaching against.  No excuses from him. Since Outlaw passed away in 2011. Lufkin has won 6 playoff games and lost 9 under Quick (85-50) in 12 year.  Even with what Outlaw did accomplish here some may say it pales in comparison to other coaches like Todd Dodge, Scott Surrat and Randy Allen. Maybe even John King.  In all honesty, what he accomplished here was remarkable since football had such few playoff successes before he arrived, or since his time here.  Pretty special football coach for sure, could sure use another one like him.

We may never see another run like Outlaw had here again. He was truly a special football coach. I also think the dynamics have changed with the explosion of teams in the Metro Plex and GHA. Now I do think this season coming up they got a chance to have a really good season. 

How sad,once the greatest,or #1 city in the USA for high   school football. How far we have slipped,blame it on whatever,no discipline is a big factor.No consequences for your actions anymore.Do as you want,dont worry about the princpals,teachers or the school board. If we hire,as yall know we have a Coach already,......the story continues

9 hours ago, LPPACK said:

How sad,once the greatest,or #1 city in the USA for high   school football. How far we have slipped,blame it on whatever,no discipline is a big factor.No consequences for your actions anymore.Do as you want,dont worry about the princpals,teachers or the school board. If we hire,as yall know we have a Coach already,......the story continues

Coach Quick kicked one of his best players off the team a few years ago. I don't think they have a discipline problem. Kids have been punished and kicked off the team under Quick. Id blame the parents before I blame the coaches or school officials.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Coach Quick kicked one of his best players off the team a few years ago. I don't think they have a discipline problem. Kids have been punished and kicked off the team under Quick. Id blame the parents before I blame the coaches or school officials.

100%