2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

10 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think the defense is going to be tough for offenses to deal with. Returning 9 starters and another 3-4 kids with experience. The offense will have the weapons but the offensive line is the question mark. Im optimistic that they will have a good season. 

What is the darn problem with being able to build a decent offensive line??  We have had questionable play there more years under Cook than they have had good O-line. When was the last good OL at Lufkin? 2017 ??  Someone told me they build the OL out of the leftovers from the kids they don't pick to play on the D Line.  The D-line gets first pick of that talent.  Is that true?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

What is the darn problem with being able to build a decent offensive line??  We have had questionable play there more years under Cook than they have had good O-line. When was the last good OL at Lufkin? 2017 ??  Someone told me they build the OL out of the leftovers from the kids they don't pick to play on the D Line.  The D-line gets first pick of that talent.  Is that true?

The kids want to play defensive line more so then offensive line is usually why. 

The Lufkin Daily News and Edwin Quarles conversation with Coach Quick:

“Going back north depends on what DeSoto does, if they opt up to 6A or not,” Lufkin head football coach and athletic director Todd Quick said.

Some possibilities would have DeSoto in a 5A DI district with Highland Park, Tyler, Red Oak and a couple of Mesquite schools, with Lufkin maybe going north.

However, that doesn’t look likely as most projections have the Panthers going south.

“If we go south, it could be as big as a nine-team district, with Beaumont schools, Barbers Hill and New Caney Porter as a part of that,” Quick said.

Beaumont schools could include Beaumont United and West Brook, along with New Caney Porter, New Caney West Fork, Barbers Hill and maybe a couple of other schools.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/lufkin-may-move-south-in-uil-football-realignment/article_4aedece5-aebe-5a7d-9ea8-e4bc23604470.html

I read the above and had to stop drinking my coffee, just went outside and stood in the rain. Couldn't stand to think about that possibility, however slight, of being in a district with DeSoto and Highland Park. Well, just made me nauseated.

Frankly, I'm having trouble feeling any credibility whether Lufkin goes North again or South again!  

February is almost here, not long before we find out who we will measure up to the next two years.  Not going to say excited or expecting anything, because the last three years have been like eating way too much pop corn at the movies, and it's left me a little backed up.

We may have the best defense so far this century in 2024, but you got to score points too, and that roulette wheel , even with a P5 RB for three years, hasn't pay off very well.  The House Money has run out.

I saw where Huntington’s Josh Colvert is stepping down from his position as head football coach after five years. He was also the OC and Asst HC for 2 years before his time as HC. Looking for the next challenge he said.  Probably ends up at Lufkin coaching. Maybe our next OC- LOL .  That is where Lufkin's DC Soderquist originally cut his teeth.  Just kidding, not much else to talk about right now.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/colvert-stepping-down-as-huntington-coach/article_f27500ac-2f68-5a5e-960f-68e25d1a1c0c.html

They made the playoffs twice under his leadership, it doesn't mention his overall W-L record.

Nothing surprises me about the way U I L realigns things. I'm betting Matt Stepp is pretty close with his predictions, I think UIL sort of gives him a little early heads up info.

DCTF / Matt Stepp prediction: District  8-5A DI

Beaumont Westbrook

New Caney Porter

Port Arthur Memorial

Crosby

Beaumont United

Lufkin

Humble Kingwood Park

Personally, I don't think Crosby will be in a district without Barbers Hill, so that may be a change.

Stepp was not wrong with his last realignment prediction after much speculation.

He has Barbers Hill in District 10-5A DI with 8 other teams, LaPorte, Pasadena, Angleton, Galveston Ball, Friendswood, Baytown Sterling, Houston Spring Woods and Fort Bend Kemper, forming a 9 team district.

One of the biggest question for realignment on Thursday is whether 2023 6A Division II State Champion DeSoto plays in 5A DI or is a late opt up to remain playing in 6A.  More than likely DeSoto will return to 6A in two years anyway, so there is much speculation that they will remain in 6A, although no indication has come from DeSoto sources.

This has some minor implications, because if DeSoto does play in 5A DI, it may influence the district structure North and put Tyler in a district with DeSoto, N. Mesquite, W. Mesquite, Red Oak, Midlothian and Highland Park in a district 7-5A DI.  Not out of the question that UIL could throw Lufkin in that mix just for fun.  I think the UIL has a burr under their saddle about Lufkin and how they place them in football, I can't guess what it could be, but it is something to the UIL. That would make a 8 team district, it's not out of the question.   There are some tight butt cheeks out there waiting to see, Tyler is more in the cross hairs than Lufkin IMO.   STILL, even if we went South in 8-5A DI, our district would still play District 7-5A DI in the first playoff round.

I was hoping we could end up in Region III, however it seems slim at this point because there is not one sports entity out there that predicts Lufkin going to Region III. It would be nice to be in District 9-5A DI, however DCTF are already predicting that to be an 8 team district with all Houston ISD schools, Madison, Austin. Milby, Sharpstown, Waltrip, Westbury, Chavez and Sterling.  

Then you have the off hand thought of A&M Consolidated and College Station maybe not going to Region 4. I can't even see how that works unless it's Lufkin, AMC, CS, NC Porter, Humble KIngwood Park and that's only 5 schools.

Thursday we will know, but my guess is Matt Stepp is pretty close.

46 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF / Matt Stepp prediction: District  8-5A DI

Beaumont Westbrook

New Caney Porter

Port Arthur Memorial

Crosby

Beaumont United

Lufkin

Humble Kingwood

Sure that's Kingwood or is it Kingwood Park? 

I still say us and BISD have no business in Region 2, makes zero sense. 

7 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Sure that's Kingwood or is it Kingwood Park? 

I still say us and BISD have no business in Region 2, makes zero sense. 

Yes, Kingwood Park, my typing got ahead of itself.  I agree, the U I L have more than enough schools in the DFW Metro now to flesh out the teams needed for Region II if so desired.  Region II should be North and Region III South around Houston.  All the other classifications 4A and down are all Region III through this part of the East Texas area.  This started 20+ years ago  when they moved Region II further South in 6A into THW and Conroe areas, and it just continued to SE Texas. The lack of viable teams in Region I and to lesser extent in Region IV causes this over load. The travel issue makes teams in El Paso and The Valley opt up to play in common 6A districts closer. The off set is in the East where there are only two 6A and two 5A DI schools in all of East Texas, that is the biggest dilemma right now for Lufkin, Longview, Tyler and Legacy.

12 minutes ago, LPanther said:

Kinda what I was thinking. It’s almost a four hour drive to Sherman. I’ll be VERY surprised if DMN is right on this.

I thought that district was possible minus Sherman. That’s where my gut has been leaning. 

5 hours ago, LPanther said:

DMNews projection:

District 7-5A: Highland Park, Lufkin, McKinney North, North Mesquite, Sherman, Tyler, West Mesquite

Lufkin will not be part of this set up.

More likely 6-5A DI will be Sherman, McKinney North, Frisco Reedy, Frisco Wakeland, Frisco Heritage, Frisco Lebanon Trail, Frisco Centennial, Frisco and Frisco Lone Star., 

11 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin will not be part of this set up.

More likely 6-5A DI will be Sherman, McKinney North, Frisco Reedy, Frisco Wakeland, Frisco Heritage, Frisco Lebanon Trail, Frisco Centennial, Frisco and Frisco Lone Star., 

That would not make any sense but it's the UIL we're talking about 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

That would not make any sense but it's the UIL we're talking about 

Stepp knows people in the UIL, he has been around them long enough to know their tendencies, and see how the school landscapes with enrollments and new schools have changed since the previous realignment.  Even we can be sort of close but not exact. With Lufkin right smack in the middle of Deep East Texas, we will always be a fill in school North or South to achieve a 7 or 8 team district for the UIL.   We are not a football powerhouse or even a top contender as a program, Lufkin gets no special considerations from the UIL.  In fact, don't think anyone in East Texas does if they are a 5A DI or 6A program.  There is just nothing else to do with us. 

Someone ask me the other day about why most of the teams Lufkin plays in all other sports are 5A DII schools, why can't we play those same folks in football.  Well, it's because there are no divisions in 5A in all other UIL sports played, if your 5A you can play each other in a district, just like 6A football.  Football is divided in 5A DI and 5A DII districts by enrollment.

For example: During the 2014 and 2015 seasons Lufkin played in an East Texas district with Nacogdoches, John Tyler, Whitehouse, Lindale, Ennis, Jacksonville and Corsicana.  Lufkin did not dominate, they didn't win any State Championships, in fact they finished 5-6 and 7-4 respectively, losing to Longview both years in the 1st round of the playoffs. It wouldn't be much different today if they were put into a similar East Texas district with Tyler, Marshall, Nacogdoches, Pine Tree, Whitehouse and a couple more.  Not sure they would win more or less than they have the past 3 or 4 years.  Anyway, that's not the way the UIL works things for football, and Lufkin will be required to travel long distances no matter where they end up to play the next two seasons. Until a 7A comes a long or the unlikely occurrence Lufkin drops to 5A DII (the enrollment would need to drop 257 students) , this is where Lufkin is for the foreseeable future.