2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

You must admit, Longview goes all out in the media coverage for their sports programs, especially football. They broadcast all sub varsity football games, all Varsity games. Most of their other sports home games.  This is quite a spectacle, don't know anyone else in the State that does this for their sports.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You must admit, Longview goes all out in the media coverage for their sports programs, especially football. They broadcast all sub varsity football games, all Varsity games. Most of their other sports home games.  This is quite a spectacle, don't know anyone else in the State that does this for their sports.

Yep..they even have working replay for the sub varsity games. All though it's not on the same level. Silsbee community is all in on their teams too. At least that is what I have seen for the football and basketball programs. A lot of it has to do with the success those programs have had. The fans are excited every year. 

I would like to see more people get excited about Lufkin basketball. We had two consecutive good seasons. With some really good players and one of the best facilities in the state, to take in a HS basketball game. And the gym is still not as full as it should be. Maybe that will change over the next few years.

Just to give you guys a quick update. Austin Brown competed in the Nike Peach Jam tournament earlier this month in South Carolina. It is the premier tournament in the country each year. Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul all have teams that played in the tournament. Several other teams with current and former NBA player kids participated. Along with other top recruits across the nation. Brown plays for JL3 Elite out of Houston on the U16 team. He had very limited minutes this year. Just shows you how much talent is on that team. Still great competition that will make him better. Several other BBall players are having a great offseason.

48 minutes ago, timeout! said:

It wasn't a knock on Tatum or OU. He had other choices on the table. OU was one of the few schools that would allow him to play baseball too. He said that was a big part of his decision going there. 

Taylor could've went anywhere that he wanted. Dude had 40+ offers including Bama, Georgia, Ohio State...you name it.

Ultimately OU landed Tatum for 4 reasons.

NIL, Baseball, SEC and uncertainty with Lincoln Riley's future at USC.

Baseball was equally as important as football for Taylor (he's a draft prospect in baseball). We all know these players love the SEC and there is a lot of talk about Riley leaving SC for the NFL after this year. He'll probably have a chance to play pretty early at OU too.

What isnt talked about enough is the NIL portion of it. Lobo alum Vincent Taylor, cousin of Bobby Taylor who both won a basketball state championship in 1992 at Longview, is a highly successful sports agent and represented Taylor and his family during the NIL process. I don't want to tell too much but, let's just say Taylor will be well compensated at OU. Vincent Taylor is also the agent of Trent Williams and other notable NFL athletes.

Now, on the topic on Taylor's talents...when you have varsity snaps at Longview as a 9th grader...that says alot. The only other player that did the same this side of the 80s was Jalen Hale. What Taylor does at RB is one thing but what really makes him unique is his ability to line up out wide and cook you as a WR. As a matter of fact, if he played WR, LB or S...he would've been 4* talents at those positions as well.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Though Matt Stepp predicts a 4th place finish for Lufkin in District 7-5A DI this season, DCTF as a whole still predicts Lufkin to miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.  

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football is proud to unveil its preseason projected playoff brackets for the 2023 Class 5A Texas high school football season. The projected brackets are based off of the DCTF computer rankings, compiled by Jerry Forrest of PigskinPrep.com CLASS 5A DIVISION I Projected Bi-District Matchups

Mansfield Timberview vs. Frisco Heritage
Barbers Hill vs. McKinney North
Frisco Lone Star vs. Carrollton Smith
Lancaster vs. Crosby
Longview vs. New Caney Porter
Frisco Reedy vs. N. Richland Hills Birdville
Port Arthur Memorial vs. Forney
Fort Worth Richland vs. Frisco Wakeland

I'd like to see us come out and put people on notice this year. Winning the district would be one way to do that. I really want to see our team start earning some respect. We have some great pieces in place. The freshman team that ran the table are all on varsity this year. I don't feel like we should have to wait until they are seniors to make some noise. Get the O-line and Qb play together and we can play with anyone in district. But you know..it is what is, until proven otherwise.

We are just a couple weeks from the opening camps of the 2023 HS season.  I'm quite impressed by what I've heard  about  the HOT offseason work that the Panther players have put in since Spring football.  Been told by several folks that this is as talented hardworking group of kids as have been seen around the Lufkin program in a long time.  Still need to prove it on the field, but I expect some very good things from this group of players this year and the next couple of seasons.  This 7-5A DI district has to be the best 5A district, top to bottom in the State bar none.  Playoff teams coming out of this district will be battle hardened and a tough opponent for anyone they would play in the Region II playoffs.  Looking forward to some cooler weather after Labor Day, I don't envy the workouts about to begin in this 100 degree plus heat.

This is a Spring highlight for Keandre Hooper.  You can see just a little of Soph Johnson making some throws toward the end,  you see a bunch of T J #5.  You can see Johnson is a raw talent. His touch and accuracy a work in progress.  I think the Lufkin WR corps is pretty talented, and I think T J will do fine. From what PurpleNation has mentioned, he has high regards for QB Javion Johnson's future at Lufkin.  The kid is a 6'2" and 180 lb sophomore, really good athlete.

21 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Congrats to Taylor Tatum headed to Oklahoma probably a better fit than USC.   

Still believe Kedren Young has a prestigious opportunity to do great things at Notre Dame. With a better OL the last two years, Young would be ranked right up there with Tatum.  Longview folks may disagree, they have every right, but I've seen both kids run, there is not much difference between the two IMO.

I think USC with Lincoln Riley would had been much better if we're talking about winning. OU is in a bad spot right now. 

On 7/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, timeout! said:

Do you guys feel there is much brotherhood among former Lufkin players? I follow a few other HS sports pages. And I notice how much more involved some former players are with each other and their programs. It's not every program, but enough to take notice. I've seen former players from certain schools, never miss a chance to comment or show some appreciation for the school and current players.

Theres a certain pride and camaraderie they have about coming from those programs. Maybe some former Lufkin players can chime in.

I feel like it's 50/50 from former players that support the team and the other half no matter what is going on will hate on the program for whatever reason. I've always rooted and hoped for the best. I also cheer for my former teammates that are coaches at other schools. 

7 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I feel like it's 50/50 from former players that support the team and the other half no matter what is going on will hate on the program for whatever reason. I've always rooted and hoped for the best. I also cheer for my former teammates that are coaches at other schools. 

I know you are always supportive of the kids who are playing. To me it has always been important to support them on their one and only journey through the Panther program. Unfortunate that a possible 50% of former player take the opposite support approach. If it's coaching?, whether we agree with it or not, it's something we fans can't control. We have several good coaches on staff IMO, so not going maintain that same thought as a whole.

I want to see these kids have a great experience as a Lufkin Panther, it means a lot to them and to most all others associated with the Panther program. My time, and regardless of what many others may think, there is too little time on this Earth for most of us, NOT to support these Panther kids 100%. I'm just ready for some football.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I know you are always supportive of the kids who are playing. To me it has always been important to support them on their one and only journey through the Panther program. Unfortunate that a possible 50% of former player take the opposite support approach. If it's coaching?, whether we agree with it or not, it's something we fans can't control. We have several good coaches on staff IMO, so not going maintain that same thought as a whole.

I want to see these kids have a great experience as a Lufkin Panther, it means a lot to them and to most all others associated with the Panther program. My time, and regardless of what many others may think, there is too little time on this Earth for most of us, NOT to support these Panther kids 100%. I'm just ready for some football.

It's really an arbitrary number but from my Facebook it's what it feels like. I think it has to do with the lack of winning the last 15 years. Outside a few seasons. Even if they reach the 3rd Rd this year there will still be some saying we could had done more. You have some former players that blame Coach Quick and then you have other former players like me saying it's the same coaches we won with. I think football is a funny game sometimes and we just forget that.

As we look forward to the 2023 season, with positive expectations for the next 2 or 3 years, it's something quite different than expectations of the past 2 or 3 seasons, or is it?  The Elephant in the corner of the room still remains, why the program has been to waiting for more talent to arrive to be above average again, than maintaining a winning program like Longview and Carthage seem to accomplish year after year. I used those schools because they are closest to Lufkin. Whether the Lufkin ISD board or administration want to admit it or not, it's sort of happen without a whimper from those folks.  If this talented group makes the playoffs and possibly a run to the 2nd round, is that acceptable around here now?  The question, after these next 2 or 3 years, where will the Lufkin football program be standing?  

We have have been watching some great talent head into the program the last couple of years. There has been so much talk the past two years waiting for this 2021 Freshman group to come together on the Varsity, however this program has gone down several notches from what they were when Quick took over the program in 2012. Where is the real level of expectations? Superintendent Torres speaks of 2023 as the Year of the "Purple Reign",  after he favorite artist Prince.  Let's hope !

Outlaw did not win many playoff games the last 5 years he coached,  however was still winning district championships and making the playoffs with the talent he had on hand. He was always able to get the best from the kids he had to work with as a coach.  Many probably didn't know Outlaw had some personal family and health issues going on those last 5 years, those probably reflected on his energy for the program. Quick, Green, Cook and Stafford were more active in the coaching processes by then. 

The Panther faithful need to see some really good results the next few years, a resurgence in playoff runs, and at least building the program for the future. These next 2 or 3 years could possibly be the last for Quick before retirement. I'm positive he wants to finish well as a HC and AD at Lufkin.

Anyway, I do have high expectations for the next 2 or 3 years, The TALENT is certainly there, and if it doesn't happen, we won't need to look far for the reasons I mentioned above.  Just want these players to get after it and have some fun winning games, it's so much more fun when you win, especially the big ones or the one's no one expects you to win.    

I'm ready to watch this year play out, and I'm expecting great things this year and next!  Go Pack!

The beginning of football season. You’ll want to get your online season ticket renewals for Lufkin Panthers football scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Monday and continue through Aug. 4 . Go to the school’s website to access the ticketing system.

In-person season ticket renewals at the Lufkin ISD District Education Center, 701 N. First St., will be held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. from July 31 to Aug. 4. Swap Day is scheduled for noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 7. New season ticket sales will be open to the public from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 8-11.

You also may purchase volleyball tickets online as the girls kick off their season Aug. 8 at the Panther Activity Center.

All I can say, this is an impressive group of offensive and defensive skilled talent.  Top Row left to right WR Krisean Preston and HB Gavin Phillips , #2 T J Hammond are going to be an X Factor with everything else that goes with K. Young this season. A whole bunch of good WR for the Varsity and JV this year. Bryden Murphey #4, Amarion Campbell #11, , #9, Ke vondrick Tayor #8, Keandre Hooper #14, QB Javion Johnson #9. 

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Kedren is right there with the best of them. 

Kedren is one the best backs in the nation. Not many people are familiar with  him, as some other backs in the state or around the country. I put that on Lufkin lack of playoff success. He barely gets a mention when talking heads are discussing running backs in district. All the focus is on Tatum and Lacey. They then lump Young in with the other notable guys from Tyler, MKN, and Forney. You would never know he is the #2 ranked back in the state, only behind Tatum.

This staff will have egg on their face. If they don't manage more than 1 or 2 playoff wins during his tenure here. To be honest, it should be a lot more than that. But he only has one year left, so we have to be realistic with this staff. You just can't have talent like that come through the doors and come up empty handed. It wouldn't be the first time though. 

6 hours ago, timeout! said:

This staff will have egg on their face. If they don't manage more than 1 or 2 playoff wins during his tenure here.

I confess my trust issues before all of you, whether unfounded or not. A part of me thinks way too much.

Lets watch some of the 2022 Panther highlights, Kedren Young had a bunch of big runs last season.  Looking forward to watching this young man perform paired with Gavin Phillips in the backfield this season.

In case you want to compare Panther football today and the 14-1 - 6A Panther program in 2004, check this out and tell me your thoughts.  #12 Smallwood was an underrated QB in my opinion, too bad he only had one year to show his talent. Sorry this video quality wasn't as good back then, still you can see the talent. Lane Train #7 and a lot of Ralph Thomas #16,  McKinner Dixon #65, EJ Shankle #32, Leonard Hewitt #11, #26 Roy Gardner and #5 backup QB Zeke Fancher.  LB Ataymian Skinner  #44, Alton Dixon #23.

#34 in Cedar Park and Southlake games is Dez Bryant's first Varsity TD receptions.

Thomas is now HC and Dixon DC at Yates and Fancher Asst Coach Katy Tompkins.

The 2004 team motto was "ONE PACK TOGETHER".

I really loved the 1998, 2001 and 2002 seasons, they were phenomenal seasons and we got a State Championship out of those unforgettable years. However, my two favorite years watching the PACK was 2004 and 2005, we were loaded with talent, the kids had a swagger about them, and I still say if QB Jeremy Claybon had not broken his arm against Copperas Cove in 2005, Lufkin wins their 2nd State Title. 

I had no fun in 2017 because I didn't expect us to be there, we lost two district games, and then when we did make a run, thought we blew the Longview game, then I was really disappoint after the 2018 finish and have not been the same since that time. I'm in desperate need of getting my attitude reinvigorated. So, with all the talk this season of success, I'm treading cautiously with expectations based on what I've seen and heard from knowledgeable people.  What I don't want to be doing is sitting in the stands of the 5th or 6th game of the year, already realizing we are not going to make the playoffs or if we do, NOT much of a chance of going very far. You can tell those things sitting in the stands watching, especially as many games as I've been able to watch over the years. You have that feeling, you just know, and I've not been wrong often. By the 6th game of the season you KNOW your teams position. I admit 2017 was a complete surprise after finishing 3rd in district.

We are going to scrimmage Huntsville again this year on AUGUST 18TH, a time and place TBD. I think Huntsville is still working on their stadium at their HS. Huntsville ISD turned their practice field into a stadium and added all sports baseball, softball and soccer around it. Totally separating from the Sam Houston connection for so many years. They even have cover seating for the softball and baseball parks.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/14/huntsville-football-now-has-place-call-home-with-new-stadium/

Lufkin Abe Martin has some catching up to do, especially a field house and press box.

On 7/25/2023 at 11:22 AM, PackAttack said:

In case you want to compare Panther football today and the 14-1 - 6A Panther program in 2004, check this out and tell me your thoughts.  #12 Smallwood was an underrated QB in my opinion, too bad he only had one year to show his talent. Sorry this video quality wasn't as good back then, still you can see the talent. Lane Train #7 and a lot of Ralph Thomas #16,  McKinner Dixon #65, EJ Shankle #32, Leonard Hewitt #11, #26 Roy Gardner and #5 backup QB Zeke Fancher.  LB Ataymian Skinner  #44, Alton Dixon #23.

#34 in Cedar Park and Southlake games is Dez Bryant's first Varsity TD receptions.

Thomas is now HC and Dixon DC at Yates and Fancher Asst Coach Katy Tompkins.

A bunch of guys that had that Dog mentality. Flying around and looking to knock somebody block off. Watching prime Lane running over HS kids and seeing them bounce off like rag dolls never gets old. I wish he could've maintained that size and weight in college. One of the best athletes I've seen in person play. Dude could do it all..some people forget he lead the district in punting his senior year. And was the quarterback on that game winning drive against Longview at SFA.

The one thing they really had was confidence. There was an intimidation factor and swagger they had when they stepped off the bus. No excuses about school enrollment, facilities, or any other nonsense. It was all about lining up and going at it. 

I was at most of those games in that clip. We were a true perennial power back then. And it all came to a screeching stop a couple years after 04. Gone as quickly as it came. There was no slow decline as for as playoff success. It went from long playoff runs to one and done most years after that. With very little in between outside of 2012 and 2017. 

Time sure has flown by. It's been over 22 years since that title run and 19 since that 04 team. Heck..it's been 6 years since the 2017 run. That's also quickly falling back in the review mirror now. I'm sure some folks come on here shake their head. We just a bunch of old timers sitting on the porch reminiscing about better days. Holding on to that old truck we should've sold long ago.

38 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Holding on to that old truck we should've sold long ago.

Hind sight is 20/20. Maybe should have sold that truck and bought a NEW one back in 2012. We didn't, took a chance it would last, so here we are. We have driven that old Outlaw rattle trap down to the wires showing through the tread and smoke billowing out the tailpipe. The EPA should be all over the thing.. These last three years have sure deserved the junk yard. Its a Classic by now. Is it possible to restore? Maybe drop a new engine in that thing, install some new tires and new suspension system, slap on a new Purple paint job. Maybe just get that old gas guzzler in good enough shape to make a decent run the next 2 or 3 years. What do you think? I'm game to try at this point.😉

28 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Hind sight is 20/20. Maybe should have sold that truck and bought a NEW one back in 2012. We didn't, took a chance it would last, so here we are. We have driven that old Outlaw rattle trap down to the wires showing through the tread and smoke billowing out the tailpipe. The EPA should be all over the thing.. These last three years have sure deserved the junk yard. Its a Classic by now. Is it possible to restore? Maybe drop a new engine in that thing, install some new tires and new suspension system, slap on a new Purple paint job. Maybe just get that old gas guzzler in good enough shape to make a decent run the next 2 or 3 years. What do you think? I'm game to try at this point.😉

I guess those interest rates have been too high for LISD long before the current admin 😉