2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

3 minutes ago, timeout! said:

They did it several times during the game. Much respect to SOC and what they have accomplished. But noway Longview scores 44 points on us if we play them again. 

Anyway, they have bigger fish to fry with Ruston next week. And we have to our Qb going before district. 

Lol I didn't tune in until the 4th so I'm not surprised. I also agree they wouldn't score 40. Not even close to it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Lufkin, don't want to over do the Lobo talk.  Just can't do it, some of you guys can, but I'm not built that way.

LRSW just not a well coached or organized tam, they have athletes, and it might be work ethic too.   As most of you have already said, the Panther did what they were suppose to do to a bad team. I was real impressed with how the backups got after it and the coaches gave them a chance to prove something while out there.  Going to stick my neck out again and say I like the play calling, so here you go.  All the skilled players had a great night, the two scores given up by the D freak plays, a guy misses an INT and a double fumble ends up a long TD run.  I'll take it that way every time if that the only way they can score. 

Tyler won big 48-7 over 5A DII Seagoville tonight so next week should be a good game.

Other 9-5A DI scores:

BWB 35   Aldine MacArthur  7

BH 48  Deer Park 50  OT

PAM 37 FB Hightower 40  OT

Baytown Lee 26  Baytown Sterling 17  

Ball 33  Friendswood 7 

Beaumont United plays Saturday

16 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Back to Lufkin, don't want to over do the Lobo talk.  Just can't do it, some of you guys can, but I'm not built that way.

LRSW just not a well coached or organized tam, they have athletes, and it might be work ethic too.   As most of you have already said, the Panther did want they were suppose to do to a bad team. I was real impressed with how the backups got after it and the coaches gave them a chance to prove something while out there.  Going to stick my neck out again and say I like the play calling, so here you go.  All the skilled players had a great night, the two scores given up by the D freak plays, a guy misses an INT and a double fumble ends up a long TD run.  I'll take it that way every time if that the only way they can score. 

Tyler won big 48-7 over 5A DII Seagoville tonight so next week should be a good game.

Just to clarify that 2nd TD came when the starters were out. 

Seagoville isn't very good either. We should be able to beat Tyler by a few TDs. It could get out of hand if we're locked in. 

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Other 9-5A DI scores:

BWB 35   Aldine MacArthur  7

BH 48  Deer Park 50  OT

PAM 37 FB Hightower 34  OT

Baytown Lee 26  Baytown Sterling 17  

Ball 33  Friendswood 7 

Final in OT

5A D1 #10 Port Arthur Memorial 37

6A #23 Fort Bend Hightower 40 

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-smother-little-rock-southwest/article_4b8fadca-42a6-5c23-a945-0795c8ecb9e7.html

Lufkin moved the ball at will in the first half here Friday night, picking up 18 first downs and building a 43-6 lead over Little Rock Southwest.

The Panthers, who put up 366 yards of offense on the night, coasted to a 57-12 win over the Gryphons to move to 2-1 on the season.

QB Quincy Coutee had a huge night passing the ball, including completing 12-of-13 passes in the first half for 191 yards. Coutee finished the night 15 of 17 for 225 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for one score.

“He responded well tonight and was clicking and making plays,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “Just running the offense, being efficient with what he was doing and managing the game. I couldn’t be more proud of him.”

The Panthers got on the board early, taking advantage of a special teams mistake by the Gryphons.

On the opening series of the game, Southwest punter Makhi Mohammed kicked the ball into the backside of a blocker, and Lufkin’s Kaleb Barraza recovered at the Gryphons’ 15.

Two players later, Coutee hit Ke’Vondrick Taylor in the end zone for a 12-yard touchdown. Coutee passed to Keandre Hooper for the two-point try and the Panthers led 8-0.

Southwest picked up a pair of first downs on its next series before being stopped around midfield.

Taking over at its own 18, Lufkin went on a 13-play, 82-yard scoring drive.

Coutee was sharp on the drive, hitting Hooper for gains of 9 and 8 and Taylor for 12 and 11. A 17-yard pass to Jayden Nichols gave Lufkin a first and goal at the one.

Gavin Phillips punched it in from there and Nolan Hansard’s PAT made it 15-0.

Lufkin’s Keithan Davis forced a fumble on the ensuing kickoff, and Kaleb Barraza recovered at the Gryphons’ 7. The Panthers failed to take advantage, turning the ball over two plays later. After two three-and-outs by Southwest, Lufkin got on the board again.

Taking over at the Gryphons’ 28 after a six-yard punt, the Panthers took just three plays to score.

Coutee hit Preston out to the right, he made two defenders miss and picked up 18 yards to the 10. Kenneth Waters scored two plays later from the 6. Coutee hit Hooper for the two-point try to make it 23-0.

Southwest got on the board on its next series with Mohammed hitting Montrell Martin on a short pass that Martin turned into a 55-yard touchdown. The missed two-point try left the score at 23-6.

Lufkin scored on its next offensive play with Coutee hitting Taylor out to the right and Taylor outracing the defense for a 49-yard score to make it 29-6.

The Panthers scored on its next two series with Coutee getting a 1-yard TD run to make it 36-6 and hitting Nichols for a 7-yard score to push the lead to 43-6 at halftime.

Lufkin slowed things down in the second half and took nearly eight minutes off the clock on the first possession of the second half. The Panthers, who had thrived in an up-tempo style in the first half, methodically ran the clock on a 14-play drive.

Coutee hit Preston from 11 yards out to cap the drive and the PAT by Juan Diego Holguin made it 50-6.

The Panthers’ defense stopped the Gryphons inside their own 20 on the next series. A bad snap on the punt went into the end zone and Jeremiah Smith recovered for a touchdown. Holguin’s PAT made it 57-6.

Southwest got on the board when a fumble was picked up by the Gryphons’ Derrick Vassar, who went 48 yards for the score to make it 57-12.

Waters led the Panthers with 75 yards on 12 carries. Taylor had five catches for 91 yards, Hooper had four for 32, Nichols had two for 24 and Preston had four for 78.

On defense, Barraza had a fumble recovery and D.Q. Hall had an interception.

Lufkin (2-1) will play at Tyler (2-1) on Friday in its last non-district contest.

5 hours ago, pimpthepen said:

PA I told you Longview was going to lose to S.O.C I watch them against North Shore there O-Line and D-Line are huge It was that NS is a different animal 

I was definitely surprised based on how hard it is to win at Lobo. That's anyone.  The last loss there was to HP in 2020 or so like 18-13.  Lobos are a good ream, they will probably win their district.

FYI _ Lake Hamilton (2-1), who beat Little Rock SW (0-2) - 49-0 last week, beat Arkadelphia(1-2) -  49-35 this week.  Arkadelphia HS, where John Outlaw won two State Titles in 1979 and 1987, and where Todd Quick began his HS coaching career.

Other scores of Panther concern: 

Huntsville (2-1) clobbered Cedar Park (1-2) -  48-28 

Nacogdoches (2-1) won 34-24 over Livingston (0-3).

Really happy to see the progress Quincy Coutee has made at QB, Javion Johnson has some shoes to fill now after last nights passing display.  

Coutee is better than anything we have had at QB the past two years, most say he is even better at WR.  Preston, Hooper, Taylor, Hamilton and now Coutee back at WR? Johnson WIL need to get the ball in that groups hands.  

How much does Johnson coming back change this offense?  This Panther offense with Hooper, Phillips, Calhoun and Chinn in the backfield too has SOOO much potential to be great.  ADD in that Panther Defense..... and I have not even mentioned Javion's running ability. The door is open to all sort of possibilities !

Then again they haven't beaten a quality team yet either.  I figure that will happen too this year.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I was definitely surprised based on how hard it is to win at Lobo. That's anyone.  The last loss there was to HP in 2020 or so like 18-13.  Lobos are a good ream, they will probably win their district.

Hard to say who will win it. 

Rockwall loss their QB for the season but probably playing the best football right now, Forney isn't quiet killing it like people thought they would (1-2)...no defense. And Longview is playing soft as ever football right now, HC cant be trusted in the big games. 

I'd say the QBless Rockwall Jackets are the favorite but this district really won't do much of anything in the post season. Whoever makes it.

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Really happy to see the progress Quincy Coutee has made at QB, Javion Johnson has some shoes to fill now after last nights passing display.  

Coutee is better than anything we have had at QB the past two years, most say he is even better at WR.  Preston, Hooper, Taylor, Hamilton and now Coutee back at WR? Johnson WIL need to get the ball in that groups hands.  

How much does Johnson coming back change this offense?  This Panther offense with Hooper, Phillips, Calhoun and Chinn in the backfield too has SOOO much potential to be great.  ADD in that Panther Defense..... and I have not even mentioned Javion's running ability. The door is open to all sort of possibilities !

Then again they haven't beaten a quality team yet either.  I figure that will happen too this year.

I think when Javion gets back and gets comfortable we're really going to be a problem on offense.