Lufkin Panther BOYS BASKETBALL 2023 - 2024 Season

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Kingwood Park must practice flopping in practice, they flop like a fish if you breath on them.

The PG for Kingwood Park #0 is a Lufkin kid. He didn't move until he got to HS. He's played little league and AAU with all the Lufkin players. He would of been a nice addition had he stayed. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lufkin defeat Kingwood Park 49-33 to remain undefeated in district at 7-0 and 20-11 on the year. Big game next Tuesday in Nacogdoches for the district championship. Austin Brown led the Panthers with 20 points and Dallas Harrell had 10 points. Sanders 8 and Parks with 6.

Yea, someone told me 0 was formerly from Lufkin. Lufkin did fine without him though.  Best defense and ball movement I've seen from this Panther group this season. best game not only scoring points (10) but rebounding by Dallas Harrell.  Newman looked more like a point guard than he has all year.  It was a good win against a team who likes to slow it down playing a 1-3-1 more than most.

Nacogdoches leads Lufkin 25-22 in the 3rd quarter.
Lufkin JV lose 47-44 to the Nacogdoches JV.
Lufkin Freshmen win against Nacogdoches.
Lady Pack lose to Nacogdoches girls 31-28. Lady Pack take 4th seed in District. Bi-District playoffs either Monday or Tuesday against Tyler High.

Lufkin secures their 3rd straight district championship tonight with a 55-46 win in Nacogdoches. The Pack are now 21-11 on the year and 8-0 in district play. Austin Brown with 22 points. Marcellus Parks had 16 points.

I just want to say the Panthers are 8-0 in district, they have not lost in a long time, however.....???   They are also not the same type team they were the past two years because early on they lacked big man presence inside.  With that said, since they moved Soph Sanders up from the JV  the inside play and rotation has gotten much better, even Harrell is playing better.   Dylan at point guard continues to make too many bad passes and turnovers at key times. Last night was no different.  They have resorted to Brown bringing the ball up more often, but he can't do this the whole game. Kevo Taylor is possibly a better scorer, but he doesn't get much playing time. He gets excited and plays out of control too often.  Brown and Parks are THE scorers on this team, Brown never came out of the game last night. Things are as they are right now and getting by District 15-5A will be tough for any basketball team in 16-5A.   Not sure how good Nacogdoches really is, I know they are one of those teams that match up well with Lufkin.  Lufkin will most likely play a very good 14-14 Tyler Lion team.

District 15-5A has Longview at 28-3, Mt Pleasant 25-7, Hallsville 20-11 and Tyler 14-14.  How good is 15-5A? We will find out pretty quick in the next couple of weeks.

Panther Basketball keeps it rolling on the road. 69-34 over Huntsville. Austin Brown finished the night with 27 points against Huntsville, helping the Pack stay undefeated in District 16-5A with one game to go. Lufkin is 22-11 and 9-0 in district.

Lufkin JV boys win 63-42 over Huntsville JV.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:37 PM, Hitman2 said:

10-5A won't just be tough for Boys basketball and baseball but Volleyball and girls basketball as well.

Boys Soccer as well. Whitehouse, Tyler, Mount Pleasant, Nacogdoches, Lufkin and Jacksonville? Crazy competitive.

School Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Lufkin 9-0 1.000 487 323 22-11 0.656 1,899 1,697 10 W
Nacogdoches 7-2 0.778 508 411 21-11 0.656 1,816 1,590 1 W
Kingwood Park 5-4 0.556 403 431 17-15 0.531 1,512 1,530 1 L
Porter 4-5 0.444 411 411 17-15 0.531 1,521 1,489 2 W
Huntsville 2-8 0.250 391 468 10-16 0.400 1,414 1,515 1 L
Dayton 0-9 0.000 407 563 15-16 0.484 1,663 1,664 10 L

District 16-5A Boys Basketball standings.

Lufkin sits at 9-0 in district and 22-11 on the year, Nacogdoches is 21-11 on the year, both played decent non district competition.  Lufkin playing several top 6A teams that included Duncanville, C E King, Shadow Creek and Mansfield Lake Ridge.  Also played a Nationally ranked program #42 Millennium (Goodyear)  out of Arizona. Much tougher schedule than the past two years. 

Not sure if that means anything moving forward. This district was not expected to be a powerhouse district going in, in fact none of the East Texas districts measure up to the Metro Plex basketball. Per se.  I do believe playing a tougher non district prepares these kids for what's ahead and there should be no surprises to the talent they will face. 

I believe if this team had better point guard play they could play with just about anyone. Not trying to be negative here, just saying the point guard play in average. The starter doesn't  score much  or try to when he is open, has too many forced passes and turnovers that just shouldn't happen. Our back up is maybe a better scorer but doesn't play in control at times, with unnecessary traveling and charging fouls. Neither have size and both could be better defensive players.  Not saying Lufkin can not win games with them, to the contrary, they have won 22 and 11 straight to this point in the season. 

I'm just thinking about matchups that could be on the horizon, my hope is they step up and play their A games when it counts. One is a junior and one is a sophomore, still some learning to do.  This is a young team overall with only 2 seniors on the team, starting 2 sophomore players, the rest juniors.  Bright future ahead for the Lufkin basketball program, and this is probably not the best group coming up, the JV is good, but there are many who say this year's freshman group has the most talent potential.  Hard to say, I've watched them play, and they are very good. I just like to see how kids grow from a sophomore to a junior before I put too much stock how good they will be. I'm the same with Austin Brown, he is great now as a sophomore, he should be twice as good next year as a junior. Maturity and experience mean everything in a really great athlete, there is just a big difference IMO between playing as a 14-15 year old and a 16-17 year old player. There are few exceptions to this rule. 

It's the Final Home Game for your District 16-5A Champions. The Pack wrap up District play against Porter at the PAC. Tipoff scheduled for 7:00pm. If you can't be there, catch all the action on the Lufkn Gametime App or lufkingametime.com

image.png

Final from the PAC, Lufkin Basketball stays perfect in District play with a 74-36 win over New Caney Porter. Headed to Rusk for the Bi-District Championship on Monday!

Lufkin finishes 10-0 in district and 23-11 on the year with 12 straight wins.

Lufkin JV win over Porter JV tonight 51-40
Lufkin Freshmen win 62-15 over Porter Freshmen.

Lufkin wins 60-58 in OT Panthers were led by Austin Brown with 22 and Marcellus Parks 18. Lufkin now 25-11 on the year.

Not sure how bad Tyler was, they were tenacious all night. McFall had a game high 24 points for the Lions. They beat district leader Longview this year. Good win by Lufkin, you had to be there to get the real feel.

16 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin wins 60-58 in OT Panthers were led by Austin Brown with 22 and Marcellus Parks 18. Lufkin now 25-11 on the year.

Not sure how bad Tyler was, they were tenacious all night. McFall had a game high 24 points for the Lions. They beat district leader Longview this year. Good win by Lufkin, you had to be there to get the real feel.

Tyler was coming into the playoffs getting blown out twice in a row. I’m not sold Longview is that good. We would have 4 or less losses with that schedule. Lufkin is in trouble moving forward if they don’t figure something else out 

57 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Tyler was coming into the playoffs getting blown out twice in a row. I’m not sold Longview is that good. We would have 4 or less losses with that schedule. Lufkin is in trouble moving forward if they don’t figure something else out 

Any idea who the Pack plays next?