Lufkin Panther BOYS BASKETBALL 2023 - 2024 Season

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's GAMEDAY...UIL Area Round...Lp vs Crandall...LIVE from TJC... If you can't be there, catch all the action on the Lufkin Gametime App or lufkingametime.com  6:00pm Tipoff  with Gary Ivins and Chris Simmons

image.png

50 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Our basketball team really ain’t that good. Only against average opponents or very bad opponents have we looked like a winning team. Maybe it’s the youth idk. 

This was good season for them. Considering what all they lost from last year. One BIG issue is adjusting to the play of those DFW area teams come playoffs. They play aggressive and apply pressure most of the game. You have to have solid guard play when you play them. Thats what done us in against Red Oak last year, and again this year. Tonight was a winnable game. Missed free throws and turnovers killed us. Along with inability to slow down their guards. Plus AB had an off night shooting. Crandall didn't allow him anything tonight. McManus did all he could with front loading the team with a hard schedule.

I think they came in more prepared this year than last, because of it. But still not enough to get over the hump. Lufkin only losses a couple of seniors(Blake and Harrell)so everyone else will be back. Hopefully the experience will help next year. Also want to give a shout out to Parks. He really took a step forward this year. He needs to continue be aggressive. 

62 -47 Final. Good year 24-12. Only 2 seniors, neither started and you have all the talent coming up from JV and Fresh. Crandall played 8 seniors, we won't see them again any time soon. Take nothing away, Crandall is pretty good.

One of the most one sided officiated games I've seen in my life. If they were DFW refs, then that's how they play there and we need to get on that same level. We absolutely got caught up in the wash of everything tonight.  Started well, but it did not phase Crandall, they waited to see what we brought then turned it on and really never felt threatened. Their guard play was superb tonight WOW, Newman didn't know which way was up most of the night.  He got his pocket picked more tonight than someone standing on a corner in NYC.  Hope he learned from this experience and has a good off season improving and maybe learning to use that left hand more. Parks carried the team tonight with 16 points.

Brown could get nothing to go for three quarters, he had shots that didn't fall, they played him well and shut him out until he scored 10 in the 4th when the game was already settled. We tend to forget he is just a sophomore, everything is on the upside for him and Parks.  This team is going to be really good the next 2 or 3 years, playing in a real tough basketball district with Hallsville, Mt Pleasant, Nacogdoches and Tyler. Don't forget Marshall, Texas High, Whitehouse and Jacksonville.  It's going to be a tough basketball district.

B J Thomas came a long way since the first of the season and Jakevion Sanders was a really great addition from the JV at mid season.  Gavin Phillips was a presence inside and hope he can get more playing time next year.  I would really like to see more of Kenneth Waters next season at PG, although I know McManus is going to start Newman because he will be a Senior. Javarius White needs a good offseason.

This was a tough loss to take, especially the way it went down, but there are brighter days ahead for the basketball program.  There will be better times ahead and the officiating crews won't always be as bad as tonight.

Nacogdoches won 42-37 over Sherman so they continue in the playoffs to play Lancaster next week.

Longview came from behind to beat Melissa 47-46 to move on to play Crandall next week in Round 3 .

Lufkin desperately needs PG play. The kid at Kingwood Park would have been our starting PG. They have some younger PGs that can play. Particularly the Burse kid that's a freshman. His brother is pretty good too that's a 10th grader. Don't think he plays PG. We also need a big man. Lufkin just doesn't have the size in the post. Losing Brandon Walker was huge. He is one of the best bigs we've had in a long time. They will be better next season for sure but until we have a legitimate big man we will never get past the regional tournament. Still a solid basketball program Coach Mac has built. 

The game with Crandall was like the game we played last year against Red Oak.  We were not prepared to play that tenacious physical style of basketball. McManus tried to help that situation by scheduling some tough DFW tourneys in non district.  However, we didn't play in good enough district to keep us tested, except for Nacogdoches, and they gave Lufkin a run for it both games they played. I saw the effect of our district when we played 4th place Tyler, Lufkin had a real tough time with them.  

Nacogdoches is still out there playing but have Lancaster next Tuesday. I feel they will meet the same fate as Lufkin against a very good DFW area team.  That Longview game could be a good one, but Crandall has such great guard play, it's so good.  Then they have the shooters, it's going to be tough for the Lobos to win.  

That's East Texas basketball at the 6A or 5A DI level, we lose the numbers games to the DFW area, Mt Pleasant has had some success even so they have not won a title at the 5A classification.   As good as that Lufkin and the Brandon Walker led group was those two seasons, Kimball and Red Oak ended up made them look average, same as Crandall last night. So getting to a Regional final is a big deal for an East Texas 5A basketball team.  

Crandall brought smothering help defensive pressure all game long, there was not much easy scoring for Lufkin.  Parks worked hard for all of his 16 points, he also missed a lot of free throws.

Here is the point of the conversation I want to say that Lufkin should have been at the free throw line twice as much as they were, the officiating was not kind to Lufkin, it was quite one sided and I am being unbiased in that observation.  Probably the worst I've seen in my life, honest.  Anyway, Lufkin in general had a tough night at the free throw line through three quarters that could have at least kept them in the game.  I think Austin Brown hit 6 FT in the 4th quarter when the game was no longer in doubt. Lufkin never controlled the guard play of Crandall.  Newman played 90% or the game, it didn't matter if it were Thomas or Taylor, there was no slowing down those Crandall guards.  B. J. fouled out early in the 4th trying.   They stole the ball from Newman several times at mid court, stole it from Brown, I mean we were not real handy with the basketball last night, and Crandall was the reason.   They were physical, got away with it and got called for little of it, lots of carries, palming the ball and travels.  it was like the NBA out there, anything goes.   We had no answer for them.  

Well, so far the two outstanding guards for Crandall are looking average with Lobos up 8-6 after 1st quarter. 

Lufkin lacked the guard play offensively and defensively to match up with Crandall. Terrible game feed, hesitates every 3 seconds missing big chuncks of play. Longview broadcasters say its the best they can do.  live with it. One thing is evident, Longview can sure shoot FT better than Lufkin.

Will see how it goes the rest of the way.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/idzUFXKA6CZDmsJM/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Congratulations to all the Pack Basketball kids who were honored with All District. Only two seniors on this year's team, we started two sophomores. Only good things are coming that programs way the next 2 or 3 years.

FYI - (26-5) Lancaster beat (24-12) Nacogdoches 75-52 in the 5A boys basketball playoffs last night, officially ending District 16-5A representation in the playoffs.  Nacogdoches finished 2nd in our district and lost twice to the Panthers 50-45 and 55-46 respectively. 

I will say one thing about the Lobo playoff run. They have not had to play a single district winner yet and have had a playoff draw with 2nd and 3rd place teams so far.  Same with The Colony in their next game. Not saying that intending to be negative, you have to play who makes it to this point, just saying things have fell nicely for Longview so far.  A win is a win and an advance is an advance.  Hey, Lufkin got knocked off by a 2nd place team and had to go to OT with a 4th place team in the 1st round. 

If anyone is still interested in watching some playoff basketball locally. Lufkin is hosting the 6A REGION II Boys Tournament at the Lufkin PAC this weekend.

Aldine Nimitz(25-12) vs Rockwall (23-13 @ 5:30 PM

Mansfield Lake Ridge (30-6) vs Cypress Ranch (26-11) @ 7:30 PM

Lufkin lost 56-40 at the PAC back on 12/9/23.

Rockwall 51-39 over Nimitz in the 1st 6A Region II game of the night at the Panther Activity Center.

Lake Ridge won 67-56  over Cy Ranch in 2nd game.

Rockwall and Lake Ridge play for the 6A Region II Championship tomorrow at 1 PM.

ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED about these teams playing at the State Championships, they all make their FREE THROWS and DON"T turn the ball over much.  The little things that make a difference over and above talent.