Lufkin Panther BOYS BASKETBALL 2023 - 2024 Season

On 11/18/2023 at 2:42 PM, PackAttack said:

Lufkin comes back from 15 points down in the 3rd quarter to defeat Prosper Walnut Grove 64-48. Lufkin wins 7th place out of 32 -  5A/6A teams. The Pack finished 4-1 in the tournament. They return home Monday to host the Lufkin Hoopfest. They play 6A Duncanville on Monday evening.

Do you know if Lufkin will broadcast the Duncanville game? Also that team from Arizona has the highest rated kid in the tournament. A composite 5 star. Lufkin will have their hands full tomorrow.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Do you know if Lufkin will broadcast the Duncanville game? Also that team from Arizona has the highest rated kid in the tournament. A composite 5 star. Lufkin will have their hands full tomorrow.

Great competition will make them better. #1Duncanville got blown out by #4Stony Point this past weekend. They are not as good as last years team. Lufkin will prob still struggle to stay within in 20 points. Unless we play great ball and Duncanville comes in sleep walking. They still have a speed and size advantage over Lufkin. I would like to see Brown light up this game. Need Parks to put up more than the 10-15 points he usually gets. Would like to see him in the 20 point range for this game. Go Pack! 

On 11/20/2023 at 4:58 PM, PurpleNation said:

I can't find a stream if they're doing one 

I guess they are not. That is the reason for the $15 game pass to get butts in the seat to make some $$$ and pay for the tourney.  If they had thought about it ????, they could have charged to view and probably mad some good revenue.  Don't mind me.

Lufkin will take some lumps this year. I wish last years team could've played this schedule. We lost a lot of senior leadership and it shows. The new guys still adjusting to the speed of varsity and I think Brown was pressing the last two games. Didn't have a good shooting night in either. Lufkin will have to figure how to generate points when he having an off night. And we still have trouble handling the press. Thought they played better tonight than they did against Duncanville. The 4 star kid for Arizona was in street clothes tonight. Not sure if he was injured yesterday. They still had more than enough to win comfortably. 

I think Gavin should be given more minutes. He lacks some of the speed and quickness of the guy in backs up. But plays a lot more aggressively. He crashing the boards and goes up strong for baskets. Gave the team a spark late in the 3rd when he checked in. And can be a load to handle down low. Conditioning will have to improve as the year goes on. The kid is a winner and plays hard. Still a little down about him missing the football season. 

This schedule will only help elevate this team to see the level they need to be to beat the Red Oak's and the Dallas Kimball's of the world. Goodyear Millennium HS was as well coached, fast and quick as I have seen in years against the Panthers.  I wasn't able to attend the Duncanville game.  Millennium knew exactly where to be on the court in almost any situation, as I said, well coached. Then again, Lufkin is too. Lufkin came out stronger in the second half and made a couple mini runs however the Arizona team always had an answer.  McManus doing a great job of throwing  these players into the teeth of the lions den.  Makes this team tougher both mentally and physically, helps them to learn to gauge  their game.  These teams make Austin Brown almost look normal.  

So, I do not see either one of these losses as detrimental to the season, just the opposite. It will help this team go through district smooth as butter, and will not see anyone better than the last two teams they've already played in the playoffs.  Much better days are ahead.

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

This schedule will only help elevate this team to see the level they need to be to beat the Red Oak's and the Dallas Kimball's of the world. Goodyear Millennium HS was as well coached, fast and quick as I have seen in years against the Panthers.  I wasn't able to attend the Duncanville game.  Millennium knew exactly where to be on the court in almost any situation, as I said, well coached. Then again, Lufkin is too. Lufkin came out stronger in the second half and made a couple mini runs however the Arizona team always had an answer.  McManus doing a great job of throwing  these players into the teeth of the lions den.  Makes this team tougher both mentally and physically, helps them to learn to gauge  their game.  These teams make Austin Brown almost look normal.  

So, I do not see either one of these losses as detrimental to the season, just the opposite. It will help this team go through district smooth as butter, and will not see anyone better than the last two teams they've already played in the playoffs.  Much better days are ahead.

I sometimes forget Brown is just a 10th grader. He has lot more growing to do, physically and mentally. His game will continue to evolve over the next few seasons, which is scary. Parks has also improved this year. No shame in losing to those two teams. Lufkin still has some tough matchups against Shadow Creek, Silsbee and Jacksonville before district starts. So plenty of time and opportunity to get some things going before district.

On 11/22/2023 at 7:45 AM, timeout! said:

I sometimes forget Brown is just a 10th grader. He has lot more growing to do, physically and mentally. His game will continue to evolve over the next few seasons, which is scary. Parks has also improved this year. No shame in losing to those two teams. Lufkin still has some tough matchups against Shadow Creek, Silsbee and Jacksonville before district starts. So plenty of time and opportunity to get some things going before district.

Supposed to be a Jr parents held him back a year. Don't really know why probably none of my business but he played on the same 7th grade team with my grandson.kid could shoot then.above all the kids his age 

24 minutes ago, Lennie said:

Supposed to be a Jr parents held him back a year. Don't really know why probably none of my business but he played on the same 7th grade team with my grandson.kid could shoot then.above all the kids his age 

Kids do this all the time in basketball. It's like a prep year almost. Wouldn't be surprised if he graduates early because it's already payed off. 

7 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Kids do this all the time in basketball. It's like a prep year almost. Wouldn't be surprised if he graduates early because it's already payed off. 

7 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Yes he definitely carrying the team this year they only go as far as he takes them 

Lufkin beat Bryan Rudder tonight 68-51 in a workman like performance. I think that moves the Pack to 5- 4 on the year.  Lufkin will get another challenge when it travels to the Red River Hoop Fest in Texarkana where it will face Little Rock Christian Academy, a team from Arkansas.

Lufkin lost by 4 to Silsbee on the road Tuesday night 73-69. In the loss Austin Brown had 31 points and 11 rebounds.   The loss moves Lufkin to 5-6 on the year.  They have played a staunch schedule in non district.  The Lufkin Holiday Hoops Classic begins this week December 7th - 9th. 

Lufkin will play Alvin at 12:45 PM on Dec 7th at the Lufkin PAC.  Other teams in the tournament are Pine Tree, Mansfield Lake Ridge, Nacogdoches, Friendswood, Nederland, Willis, Hudson, Whitehouse, Jacksonville, Port Neches Groves, Humble, Marshall, College Station and Conroe Oak Ridge.