Lufkin Panther BOYS BASKETBALL 2023 - 2024 Season

Lufkin Boys are starting district tonight at Dayton.  They are 13-11 overall with a very tough non district played.  Everything starts from scratch tonight, win district and be prepared for the playoffs.   IMO they have played the tough schedule to prepare them.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16-5A Boys Basketball standings headed into district. 

School Name W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Dayton 15-7 0.682 1,256 1,101 1 L
Nacogdoches 14-9 0.609 1,308 1,179 2 W
Porter 12-10 0.545 1,059 1,052 1 W
Lufkin 13-11 0.542 1,412 1,374 2 W
Kingwood Park 12-11 0.522 1,109 1,099 2 W
Huntsville 8-9 0.471 1,023 1,047 1 W

NO SCHOOL TUESDAY
Due to increasing concerns of roadway safety, Lufkin ISD will cancel school and all activities on Tuesday, Jan. 16. We will continue to monitor the weather tomorrow and keep you posted on any further decisions. Thank you and stay safe.
#WeAreLufkin

No Basketball games!

Lufkin Boys hold on to win 37-34 over Kingwood Park on the road.   Lufkin moves to 15-11 and 2-0 in district play. The Pack will play at the PAC against Nacogdoches next Friday night. 

Lots of folks are concerned about the basketball program and I don't have any opinion either way.  I have a ton of basketball experience, played all my life.  As phenomenal as Brown was last year as a freshman, he had a fantastic supporting cast around him to take off the pressure.  Lufkin had a outstanding one-two punch inside game the last two seasons that they don't have this year. Let's be honest here, there are only two seniors on this Varsity team.  The best players on the team right now are one sophomore and two juniors all are forwards, Austin Brown, Marcellus Parks and B J Thomas.

This is a much different Lufkin team than the last two years, without the dominating presence of two 6'6" big men inside.

Lufkin played a really tough and demanding non district, they lost games to highly ranked 6A teams and Nationally ranked teams from out of State, thus the 11 losses going into district.  However they have 15 wins against some quality teams too, so I understand, and there probably won't be any rankings at 15-11. Then again I think they are much better than that 15-11 record based on the non district competition they have played this year.  

One thing I noticed early on was the  occasional lack of drive and chemistry to play together. Some of the kids needed to learn that concept, that in basketball in particular, it is a TEAM sport and not about individual statistics.  You do everything possible as a team (passing, rebounding, screening, help D) to win games, take what other teams give you, take from them what they don't want you to have and play together.

Don't think too much, just play. if you have to think too much at this stage of the season, I don't know what to say. After 26 games everyone should know what's going on and everything be free flowing. 

These guys are 2-0 in district, they are where they want to be, this is what they have been preparing for, so I do not see any issues yet. I say that as a player who has been through every conceivable basketball scenario that can happen.  Are these guys better than the last two years?, I'd say probably not, but they are a lot younger too. Can they be as good when the playoffs get here?  I guess only time and match ups will tell.  I just know Brown and Parks have needed some help,  and I think B J Thomas sort of stepped up a bit against KW. with 18 points.  Need much more of that type play from him and others on the team.  This is a young and growing group of guys, will just need to see how things literally play out.  However, as outstanding as Austin Brown is as a sophomore player, it's a little unfair to perceive he will always be main scorer on the team every game. Don't care how good someone is, a sophomore is still a sophomore.  You can't be great every game.

Pack up 26-16 at half. If they were better at passing the ball, their shot decisions and blocking out, they would be up 20 in the 1st half. 

Lufkin Boys JV over Nac 56-47

Lufkin Boys Freshman over Nac 53-30

Lufkin Varsity up 26-16 over Nacogdoches at the half.

The Panther boys hold off Nacogdoches at home to slip by with a 50-45 win to move to 3-0 in district and 16-11 on the year. They play next Tuesday at PAC against Huntsville. Austin Brown with 22 pts, 8 points for B J Thomas and Marcellus Parks.

If I were Playing Lufkin, I would tell my team mates to push the ball up court quick after a Lufkin made basket, especially a three ball.  They always spend about  2 or 3 seconds celebrating their shot and not getting back on defense.  That is 2 or 3 seconds to get an easy basket or three. 

Nacogdoches went on a 15-2 run in the third and early 4th quarters, erasing the Panthers 16 point 3rd quarter lead.  When you can't score, you go inside. You do not take quick outside shots.  This team needs to learn that and BLOCKIN OUT!   At the end of the game when they needed to score, they went inside and scored, or got fouled and went to the FT line.  Lufkin was on the verge of losing that game otherwise.

That game was way closer than it should have been because these Panthers don't always play smart basketball.  In key parts of the game their basketball IQ can get about a 4 and it gets them in trouble.

The Roberts kid for Nacogdoches got several easy buckets because no one blocked him out. This Lufkin team is better than they play, need to be smarter and more consistent about how they play and protect big leads. 

Lufkin Panther Basketball vs Huntsville Video LIVE stream, tip-off scheduled for 7:00pm. If you can't make it to the PAC, catch all the action on the Lufkin Gametime App or at www.lufkingametime.com
🎤 Gary Ivins with the call

Pack takes a 16-9 lead after one quarter. This team is not playing fundamentally sound or they would be up by 20. Huntsville not good, Lufkin playing down to opponent.

Brown does not shoot the ball as well as last year. Took a lot of shots last game just to get 22.  Newman won't take shots when he is open. Harrell can't buy a shot inside. Gavin is a spark plug, needs to play more minutes.

Just going to say it, don't have a clue WHY Newman is the Panther point guard, he doesn't have the instincts for that position.  Sometime this team just doesnt pay attention, turnover turnover after turnover. Look like they are just going through the motions. Huntsville is not a good team. 

Brown has to shoot 20 shots to get 16 points now. Up 46-28 after 3 quarters.  It's been a frustrating game to watch.

Lufkin moves to 4-0 in district with a 64-44 win over Huntsville at the PAC. Brown with 16, B J Thomas 14, Parks and Phillips with 13 points.  The Panthers are 17-11 on the year. Pack play at New Caney Porter this Friday night to close out the first round of district.

Lufkin wins 60-43, they close out the first round of district  in 1st place at 5-0 and move to 18-11 on the year. This game was 21-19 Lufkin at the half.

https://www.facebook.com/100064322457121/posts/780259060794835/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Lufkin JV Basketball Boys win over Porter 40-26.

image.png

Lufkin vs Dayton, tomorrow night (Jan.30th). The Lady Pack travel to Dayton and Lufkin Basketball hosts Dayton at the PAC. Lady Pack LIVE Audio stream tipoff set for 6:00pm and the Boys LIVE Video stream tipoff set for 7:00pm
If you can't be there, catch all the action on the Lufkin Gametime App or at www.lufkingametime.com