2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, timeout! said:

😂

We'll have to keep fixing it up and hope we can get something out of it. 

Let's go ALL Electric! 😎

I see Winfred Simmons is turning 80 in early August. I'm sure he has met the Rule of 80 (age plus years of TRS credit total at least 80) for teachers retirement in Texas. He has been at Lufkin 48 years, he was in a couple other stops (Ralph Bunche in Crockett and Crockett High) before coming to Lufkin.  I figure he has close to 58 years coaching sports. Don't think I've ever read of anyone  coaching this long, has to be a record.

How many of these kids play JV? Pretty much all the kids listed as Freshman in the Spring.  Could any of those 2023 Sophomores have an impact this season on Varsity? This is still a young Pack team with a bunch of Juniors starting.

347099159_987601865736735_6216262873006006182_n (3).jpg

18 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I see Winfred Simmons is turning 80 in early August. I'm sure he has met the Rule of 80 (age plus years of TRS credit total at least 80) for teachers retirement in Texas. He has been at Lufkin 48 years, he was in a couple other stops (Ralph Bunche in Crockett and Crockett High) before coming to Lufkin.  I figure he has close to 58 years coaching sports. Don't think I've ever read of anyone  coaching this long, has to be a record.

He has been around for a while. I had him for Health back at Dunbar. 

28 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

How many of these kids play JV? Pretty much all the kids listed as Freshman in the Spring.  Could any of those 2023 Sophomores have an impact this season on Varsity? This is still a young Pack team with a bunch of Juniors starting.

347099159_987601865736735_6216262873006006182_n (3).jpg

I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward must of the guys that were left on JV last year, from that 10-0 fish team, would finally be moved up to fill any holes. I could be wrong though. Just basing off of what I have heard on here mostly and saw last year. The Johnson kid at Qb is the only player I can think of that is getting a look on varsity. Maybe some move up later in the year.

I know this may be asking a bit much. But does anyone know the projected starters on offense and defense? Just the spots that are up for competition. We know players like Young, Hammons, Phillips, Menefee, Zion and Hooper are locks at their positions.

7 hours ago, timeout! said:

I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward must of the guys that were left on JV last year, from that 10-0 fish team, would finally be moved up to fill any holes. I could be wrong though. Just basing off of what I have heard on here mostly and saw last year. The Johnson kid at Qb is the only player I can think of that is getting a look on varsity. Maybe some move up later in the year.

I know this may be asking a bit much. But does anyone know the projected starters on offense and defense? Just the spots that are up for competition. We know players like Young, Hammons, Phillips, Menefee, Zion and Hooper are locks at their positions.

The starting  Panther OL in the Spring game were LT #50 Tavorian Foreman JR, LG #79 Jordan Nichols SR, Center #52 Mathew Chavez SR, RG #57 Geovanni Villegas JR and RT #55 Daniel Torres JR.

We know that T J Hammond and Javion Johnson are at the QB position. Young, Phillips, Murphy and Chinn at RB. Think Shepard may have had a couple carries because I put a mark by his name. Of course Young did not play in the Spring game. WR were Taylor, Murphy, Preston, Campbell and Hooper. Those are the players I marked on my roster. Didn't mark any other players, probably didn't have the time to get anyone else playing time because of lightening storm. I believe Hart and Reggie may have been out there too.

I made some scribble notes, but did not designate on the starting DL and LB.  Do remember Zion Williams , Elijah Baker, Jordan McClendon, Marcus Curl and Brendon Baker playing the DL, and there were several I remember at LB Kaden Hooper, Jordan Booker, Desmen Hood, Ross Byrd, Keithan Davis, Amari White and maybe Juan Lara.

Someone in the know please confirm this and add whoever I've missed. The whole game didn't last more than 40 minutes, before they cancelled the game. Just not enough time to see everyone play.

We already know Menefee is starting at Safety, Keith Timmons at CB, for whatever reason I didn't write down any other names for secondary.

On another note there are 22 Offensive lineman listed on the Spring Roster, those seem like good numbers for OL.

They have 20 WR listed, 9 RB, 3 Kickers/Punters and 3 QBs.

On Defense there are 20 D Lineman listed, 6 OLB, 14 LB, 16 CB and 13 Safety positions.

All of these player numbers are not counting the incoming Freshman group. Any idea how many 9th graders will be playing this year?

This 2023 group is pretty talented and we will see many of them again in 2024. They have a good rotation at several positions, especially on Defense, and with all the talent at the Offensive skilled positions. 

In the short time we had to view the OL work in the Spring game, and part of another scrimmage  i watched for about an hour, thought they did well considering the Lufkin D line is pretty good. IMO it's a good decent starting 5, that can go maybe 7 deep in that rotation. The offseason may deepen that group. For me the center position is so important, the Panthers will be okay there, improved IMO from last season.  I know the full success of the offense depends to a great degree on OL play, that's with just about any offensive team at any level.  Just saying in theory, if the OL is average then much success can be accomplished by this team.  We are a month away, have already bought the season tickets, the first three games might as well be home games, they are in Lufkin and Nacogdoches. I'm ready for the season to start, I have some renewed anticipation in my bones.  High School football season is the highlight of my sports seasons. Go Pack!

28 DAYS and Counting........

I was looking all around for any Lufkin interview at the Texas high School Football Coaches School, haven't located one as yet.  Matt Stepp interviewed a bunch of coaches, there are so many you can't get to talk with them all in three days. I think DCTF does a great job covering the coaching school, TXHS Football is so big, there are just so many teams you can cover.  Think Matt looks a bit heavier than last season, he had some issues recovering from some health issues last couple years, hope the young man has fully recovered.

I know we have been talking about the Wallace kid playing at Grand Oaks and possibly coming back to Lufkin. Well, Grand Oaks has a P5 Soph QB now Grant Smith, so we will see what happens with that deal.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/07/27/community-dedicates-tj-turner-training-center-lufkin-high-school/

I want to say, those were some great words by Coach Todd Quick. I knew T J well, last time I spoke with him was in about 2004 at the State 7 on 7 Championships in College Station. Really a good guy and he never forgot his Lufkin Panther roots. 

May be an image of text

Saw this today.  Best run for a 2 yard loss you will ever see by Ralph Thomas. All of those blocks are probably illegal today. Panther Final  - 72-24 over Klein. All I remember on the field that day working the tunnel and helmet, were the Bearkat Booster guys standing on the field, they were so confident before that game, then so stunned and shocked when then game was ending. I will just never forget the looks on their faces. 

Per multiple sources, 2025 linebacker Kelvion Riggins is transferring from South Oak Cliff to Forney. Riggins is enrolled at Forney as of yesterday and should be clear to play pending paperwork.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Saw this today.  Best run for a 2 yard loss you will ever see by Ralph Thomas. All of those blocks are probably illegal today. Panther Final  - 72-24 over Klein. All I remember on the field that day working the tunnel and helmet, were the Bearkat Booster guys standing on the field, they were so confident before that game, then so stunned and shocked when then game was ending. I will just never forget the looks on their faces. 

Little did we know it was the end of an era. It all came crashing down the next week and hasn’t been the same since. Take me back 😭

20 hours ago, PackAttack said:

The starting  Panther OL in the Spring game were LT #50 Tavorian Foreman JR, LG #79 Jordan Nichols SR, Center #52 Mathew Chavez SR, RG #57 Geovanni Villegas JR and RT #55 Daniel Torres JR.

We know that T J Hammond and Javion Johnson are at the QB position. Young, Phillips, Murphy and Chinn at RB. Think Shepard may have had a couple carries because I put a mark by his name. Of course Young did not play in the Spring game. WR were Taylor, Murphy, Preston, Campbell and Hooper. Those are the players I marked on my roster. Didn't mark any other players, probably didn't have the time to get anyone else playing time because of lightening storm. I believe Hart and Reggie may have been out there too.

I made some scribble notes, but did not designate on the starting DL and LB.  Do remember Zion Williams , Elijah Baker, Jordan McClendon, Marcus Curl and Brendon Baker playing the DL, and there were several I remember at LB Kaden Hooper, Jordan Booker, Desmen Hood, Ross Byrd, Keithan Davis, Amari White and maybe Juan Lara.

Someone in the know please confirm this and add whoever I've missed. The whole game didn't last more than 40 minutes, before they cancelled the game. Just not enough time to see everyone play.

We already know Menefee is starting at Safety, Keith Timmons at CB, for whatever reason I didn't write down any other names for secondary.

On another note there are 22 Offensive lineman listed on the Spring Roster, those seem like good numbers for OL.

They have 20 WR listed, 9 RB, 3 Kickers/Punters and 3 QBs.

On Defense there are 20 D Lineman listed, 6 OLB, 14 LB, 16 CB and 13 Safety positions.

All of these player numbers are not counting the incoming Freshman group. Any idea how many 9th graders will be playing this year?

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to watching this bunch over the next couple of years. I hope they are able to reach their full potential. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Per multiple sources, 2025 linebacker Kelvion Riggins is transferring from South Oak Cliff to Forney. Riggins is enrolled at Forney as of yesterday and should be clear to play pending paperwork.

Dude already looks college ready. 

I have mention this a few times this year. I try to avoid predicting how good or bad those DFW teams will be from one year to the next. Things are always fluid with those programs when it comes to transfers. You could also say the same with the coaches. You not gonna see the same amount of stagnation, the way you do in small towns like Lufkin. Quick will have to earn one of those 4 playoff spots. Nothing will come easy this year.

4 hours ago, timeout! said:

Dude already looks college ready. 

I have mention this a few times this year. I try to avoid predicting how good or bad those DFW teams will be from one year to the next. Things are always fluid with those programs when it comes to transfers. You could also say the same with the coaches. You not gonna see the same amount of stagnation, the way you do in small towns like Lufkin. Quick will have to earn one of those 4 playoff spots. Nothing will come easy this year.

Key game IMO is beating Forney at ABE, if not SMH, at Lancaster last game looms large.  Any other trip ups or a bad start to district just can not happen at all. You still have McKinney North @ ABE and @ Tyler and @ North Mesquite to deal with too. You start this district off 1-3 or 0-2,  your probably done as far as playoffs.

It is ironic that Forney graduated SR LBs and were in need of replacements at that position. Even starting a highly regarded SOPH LB Landry Hopkins, they needed help there. Good stroke of luck that a top P5 LB - Ranked #22 in the Country -  Kelvion Riggins ( 38 offers) decided to transfer to Forney right before the season, from a SOC team who is a 2023 pre season Ranked #2 in 5A DII this year by DCTF. SOC  won the title last year, a good chance to repeat this year, however only returned 1 starter on defense. May be the reason for this move, and also understand it's a going back home situation too, think he was originally from Forney area.  Sort of like, IF the Wallace kid comes back home to Lufkin from Grand Oaks next season. 

Timeout, your right about the Metro, they are FLUID! B) It's going to be a BEAST of a year in this district.  What a time for Lufkin to have such good talent, and everyone else is loaded at the same time.  Whoever has the most grit this year will survive this district.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2023/07/27/four-star-linebacker-kelvion-riggins-transfers-from-state-champ-south-oak-cliff-to-forney/

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Key game IMO is beating Forney at ABE, if not SMH, at Lancaster last game looms large.  Any other trip ups or a bad start to district just can not happen at all. You still have McKinney North @ ABE and @ Tyler and @ North Mesquite to deal with too. You start this district off 1-3 or 0-2,  your probably done as far as playoffs.

It is ironic that Forney graduated SR LBs and were in need of replacements at that position. Even starting a highly regarded SOPH LB Landry Hopkins, they needed help there. Good stroke of luck that a top P5 LB - Ranked #22 in the Country -  Kelvion Riggins ( 38 offers) decided to transfer to Forney right before the season, from a SOC team who is a 2023 pre season Ranked #2 in 5A DII this year by DCTF. SOC  won the title last year, a good chance to repeat this year, however only returned 1 starter on defense. May be the reason for this move, and also understand it's a going back home situation too, think he was originally from Forney area.  Sort of like, IF the Wallace kid comes back home to Lufkin from Grand Oaks next season. 

Timeout, your right about the Metro, they are FLUID! B) It's going to be a BEAST of a year in this district.  What a time for Lufkin to have such good talent, and everyone else is loaded at the same time. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2023/07/27/four-star-linebacker-kelvion-riggins-transfers-from-state-champ-south-oak-cliff-to-forney/

Those schools always find a way to fill holes. Especially the really good programs. I remember the year Desoto won state. The Qb was a 4 or 5 star recruit that transferred in for his senior year. SLC did something similar one year with a Qb moving in from Oklahoma or Arkansas...can't remember which one. Those schools are always shuffling players around. I'm sure someone will transfer in from some place like Cedar Hill to replace Riggins at SOC. 

The Wallace kid would be senior next year. I'd love to have someone like that back here. But it looks like his team is on the rise. Especially with the talent at the Qb position. Not sure a move back to Lufkin would make sense for him. I'm sure he has formed new friendships up there and may not want to come back this way, but I could be wrong. I don't know the dynamics of his family.

Honestly, I have never known this staff to be too lenient with players who move off and then come back. Just about every player I can think of in that situation. Was always regulated to back up duty when they returned. Zeke Francher comes to mind. He had a brief stint in Huntington and was never given a shot as a starter. They did throw him a few bones in certain situations. And to be fair..Jacovey Smallwood was a heck of player too. So no complaints there. We where in a great situation.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Those schools always find a way to fill holes. Especially the really good programs. I remember the year Desoto won state. The Qb was a 4 or 5 star recruit that transferred in for his senior year. SLC did something similar one year with a Qb moving in from Oklahoma or Arkansas...can't remember which one. Those schools are always shuffling players around. I'm sure someone will transfer in from some place like Cedar Hill to replace Riggins at SOC. 

The Wallace kid would be senior next year. I'd love to have someone like that back here. But it looks like his team is on the rise. Especially with the talent at the Qb position. Not sure a move back to Lufkin would make sense for him. I'm sure he has formed new friendships up there and may not want to come back this way, but I could be wrong. I don't know the dynamics of his family.

Honestly, I have never known this staff to be too lenient with players who move off and then come back. Just about every player I can think of in that situation. Was always regulated to back up duty when they returned. Zeke Francher comes to mind. He had a brief stint in Huntington and was never given a shot as a starter. They did throw him a few bones in certain situations. And to be fair..Jacovey Smallwood was a heck of player too. So no complaints there. We where in a great situation.

Wallace is '26, so he'll be a sophomore this year.

PA mentioned that Forney graduated SR LBs....they actually didn't lose much of anything to graduation. They return 9 starters on that defense (DCTF says 8, but I counted 9). That includes all of their LBs from last year. 

One of those LBs is Landry Hopkins, one of the top '26 LBs in Texas. And now they add Riggins...who'll probably be in the top 2 or 3 2025 LBs in Texas when the updated 2025 rankings come out. Has offers from everywhere.

Forney has 3 starters back on their defensive line, I wouldn't be shocked if they move to the 3-4 this year to accommodate all of those LBs. 

That or they stay in the even front and one of those LBs move down to DE...

Bad news for the opposition regardless.

8 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

PA mentioned that Forney graduated SR LBs....they actually didn't lose much of anything to graduation. They return 9 starters on that defense (DCTF says 8, but I counted 9). That includes all of their LBs from last year. 

One of those LBs is Landry Hopkins, one of the top '26 LBs in Texas. And now they add Riggins...who'll probably be in the top 2 or 3 2025 LBs in Texas when the updated 2025 rankings come out. Has offers from everywhere.

Forney has 3 starters back on their defensive line, I wouldn't be shocked if they move to the 3-4 this year to accommodate all of those LBs. 

Ok..I thought he was on our fish team that went 10-0 a couple of years ago. The district will be solid this year. Like PA said earlier..it's important to get off to a good start. 

10 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

Frankly, all I have to go on with other teams is DCTF and DMN Sports. Don't research other teams that closely anymore, don't have the time or inclination to want to now. Have a tough enough time now keeping up with Lufkin sports. I rely heavily on good folks like PurpleNation, Jack Walker, Pack05, Timeout, Chad, LufkinPack and Pack13, names that come to my mind, for their valuable input here. I'm thankful to them. There are just too many other things more important at this stage of life other than wrapping my soul completely around any sports. Some of you will understand that someday, found out I wasn't bullett proof in 2008, and again in 2022, and I have always worked out hard to stay in shape, found out that didn't matter either. It was a real tough 2022 for me, but I was still here moderating the site and did not miss a football game. My perspective is neither Purple or Green or whatever now. Today, it comes down to me living for my God, Family and Friends. Then, enjoying some football or other Panther sports with them, if I'm here when it comes around. I can no longer count on next year, not guaranteed that now. Really no one has that guarantee if you really think about it.  Hey, I'm just hoping to see all of the games this year. For now, that's good enough for me. Go Pack!

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Frankly, all I have to go on with other teams is DCTF and DMN Sports. Don't research other teams that closely anymore, don't have the time or inclination to want to now. Have a tough enough time now keeping up with Lufkin sports. I rely heavily on good folks like PurpleNation, Jack Walker, Pack05, Timeout, Chad, LufkinPack and Pack13, names that come to my mind, for their valuable input here. I'm thankful to them. There are just too many other things more important at this stage of life other than wrapping my soul completely around any sports. Some of you will understand that someday, found out I wasn't bullett proof in 2008, and again in 2022, and I have always worked out hard to stay in shape, found out that didn't matter either. It was a real tough 2022 for me, but I was still here moderating the site and did not miss a football game. My perspective is neither Purple or Green or whatever now. Today, it comes down to me living for my God, Family and Friends. Then, enjoying some football or other Panther sports with them, if I'm here when it comes around. I can no longer count on next year, not guaranteed that now. Really no one has that guarantee if you really think about it.  Hey, I'm just hoping to see all of the games this year. For now, that's good enough for me. Go Pack!

Well said PA. We all appreciate what you do for the board. It wouldn't be here, if not for you and your son. Pray that you continue to stay healthy. Definitely more pressing things than football. 

3 hours ago, timeout! said:

Well said PA. We all appreciate what you do for the board. It wouldn't be here, if not for you and your son. Pray that you continue to stay healthy. Definitely more pressing things than football. 

Thank You. By the way, keep my son in your prayers, he has been in LVIV, Ukraine for about the past 5 years working as a Creative Director for a Business Building company there. He is their English speaking liaison for their American and British clients. He returns back to Lufkin to stay normally from November to March, avoiding the harsh Winters there, then returns. He is due again in October this time.  They are in far Western Ukraine, 40 miles from Poland, a beautiful Austrian-Hungarian Architectural and Culture City. They do have air raids regularly, cruise missiles come over to hit Utility infrastructure, sometimes they miss and hit an apartment building killing civilians.  The main conflict is in the far East and South. Ukraine is the size of Texas. The Russians have been very cruel with cultural genocide in everything they have tried to touched there.  Have experienced this up close and personal. I pray everyday for him and his Ukrainian girlfriend, it is a difficult situation for them there. Everyone there wants to be FREE, and not under the rule of a Communist Dictator. It's really hard for most Americans to understand this situation from 5700 miles away.

How Safe Is Lviv for Travel? (2023 Updated) ⋆ Travel Safe - Abroad