2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheD said:

Yes I’m serious, I am not saying he’s bad as he is not, but watch the games and the film and what I said is justified.  I want him to succeed.  And we got another at that position that has played better.

I’ve been watching that guy all season too and have noticed the same.   Seems like conditioning plays a role at times.  

40 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

Some of yall arent seeing things clearly. Green is obviously just protecting his playbook. When we finally get back to the playoffs. Boom!!!!! They will never know what hit them!

That's so funny. My son and I use to kid about that all the time. LOL

5 hours ago, TheD said:

No he doesn’t what are you watching?

They haven't been a bad defense. Them Stafford defenses were bad but he didn't have much to work with. I'm not going to blame missed tackles on the coaching. I think we definitely could have blitzed more this season and bounces around from an odd and even front. I see way more from that side of the ball then the offense. 

6 hours ago, TheD said:

Not fully recovered?  73 is better and plays harder.  Some of y’all are infatuated with 6’4 300.  Takes more plays off than he makes.  Should have been running a 4-3 all year with the size.

when you run a 3 man front and use your d-ends to take on double teams to open up for linebackers they have to make plays and consistently don’t.

the d line is the strength and should be used to make plays not just take on blockers.

I wouldn't say he is better and plays harder. I like them both and Zion is still hurt. To be honest with you neither one of them have been much of a factor these last 2 games but I think they do a good job of swallowing up blocks our LBs have to play better. In a perfect world I would like to see them both at DT in an even front but I worry about the depth behind them. Even in a 4 man front we don't have DE's that are pass rushers. So I don't have a problem running a 3-4 as long as we send pressure to try to generate a pass rush. 

2 hours ago, mr. b said:

I’ve been watching that guy all season too and have noticed the same.   Seems like conditioning plays a role at times.  

I don't know what you guys are watching. Before Zion went down against Longview he was definitely causing problems. This year. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart don't offer guys just because they're big. 

19 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They haven't been a bad defense. Them Stafford defenses were bad but he didn't have much to work with. I'm not going to blame missed tackles on the coaching. I think we definitely could have blitzed more this season and bounces around from an odd and even front. I see way more from that side of the ball then the offense. 

I agree with that and the d has been put in bad situations, trust me I’m all for the d, but their schemes ( that is Sodequist) again when your total d line, not just d tackles, are the strength ( 7 and 17 good linebackers) you let them play and not take space for average to good linebackers ( remember there are 4) and a suspect secondary (#6 can lay some hits).

We are settling for average at best coordinators on both sides of the ball.  

43 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I wouldn't say he is better and plays harder. I like them both and Zion is still hurt. To be honest with you neither one of them have been much of a factor these last 2 games but I think they do a good job of swallowing up blocks our LBs have to play better. In a perfect world I would like to see them both at DT in an even front but I worry about the depth behind them. Even in a 4 man front we don't have DE's that are pass rushers. So I don't have a problem running a 3-4 as long as we send pressure to try to generate a pass rush. 

The whole defensive line has been hurt at one time or the other and still is, but how can you get a consistent pass rush in a 3 man line, you can’t and all d ends don’t have a chance unless you bring some other pressure, and when you have a tight end and running back chipping good luck with that.  I agree with most though.  We have as much depth at linebacker as we do with dline but advantage d line.  

By the way, the d ends take as much or more double teams than d tackles and the d tackles have more freedom.

51 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't know what you guys are watching. Before Zion went down against Longview he was definitely causing problems. This year. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart don't offer guys just because they're big. 

The whole d line was causing problems 

1 hour ago, TheD said:

I agree with that and the d has been put in bad situations, trust me I’m all for the d, but their schemes ( that is Sodequist) again when your total d line, not just d tackles, are the strength ( 7 and 17 good linebackers) you let them play and not take space for average to good linebackers ( remember there are 4) and a suspect secondary (#6 can lay some hits).

We are settling for average at best coordinators on both sides of the ball.  

7 needed to stay at FS. The safety position has killed us this season. I did not like that move. We have other kids that can play OLB. Outside 7 and 17 the LBs haven't given us much. 40 is just taking up space.

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

7 needed to stay at FS. The safety position has killed us this season. I did not like that move. We have other kids that can play OLB. Outside 7 and 17 the LBs haven't given us much. 40 is just taking up space.

Totally agree

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

U I L Snap Shot Day is this week.  We will see some big changes in our current district the last two years. Have not seen many prediction on where Lufkin may go.   Have seen plenty on DCTF that states Longview, McKinney North, Lancaster, Forney and West Mesquite are going to 6A or are near the line to be 6A.

Did see a couple folks mention Lufkin headed to Port Arthur / Baytown area.  Don't know.   We will be able to size things up better by Friday.

(Oct 2021) Last realignment the cutoff number from 5A to 6A was 2225. Lufkin was 2199.

6A - Anything 2225 and up

5A DI was 1925-2224

5A DII was 1300-1924

4A DI was 880-1299

4A DII was 545-879

3A DI was 360-544

3A DII was 250-359

2A DI was 164.5-249

2A DII was 105-164.4

1A DI was 59.5-104.9

1A DII was 59.4 and below

Wanted to say I'm feeling quite distant from the Panther football circumstances right now.  The dilemma currently is the Panthers are staring at missing the playoffs for the third straight year in a row, on the other hand also have the slimmest of chances to make the playoffs by winning out and beating Lancaster by 8 points, only to play #4 ranked Port Arthur Memorial.   What a position to be in and it's leadership of this program's own fault.  

How I address this program from this day forward is probably going to change a bit, doesn't matter the outcome of the next two games , even if they make the playoffs. Will get more into that later. most of us stand in the same place about what is needed to fix this program and get it back on the winning track.

There is a lot going on currently we don't like in the program, that we can't change, and we know things will not improve any in the future until a major change does occur. Those are just the facts.

I have no clue what circumstances exist in the district for this current situation, and losing to be allowed continue. Don't have any idea how the Lufkin administration is reacting to, or NOT reacting to this losing.  Can tell you the football community is very pissed off by what is going on, they are beyond tired of the losing.  I know I am.

Attendance has been spiraling downward at Abe Martin home games for some years now. This year Sections A, B and C on the home side are virtually empty for games, section D is only half full, and scattered empty seats through out sections E and F, which are mostly old timers season ticket seating. The Panther general admission section across the way on the visitor side is less than half full.  I am told each section holds approximately 660 persons each, so I estimated last home game there were at least 2300 plus empty season ticket seats on the home side. 

Anyway, it's a mess, and if it ain't, it'll do until the REAL mess gets here, that's when no one but the parents of students show up to games.

Thinking a bunch today and looking at how our non district opponents are doing currently. Not sure at all IF we were to play Huntsville, Tyler Legacy and AMC again the Panthers would win those games.  All three of those teams have really improved during the season.

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Thinking a bunch today and looking at how our non district opponents are doing currently. Not sure at all IF we were to play Huntsville, Tyler Legacy and AMC again the Panthers would win those games.  All three of those teams have really improved during the season.

Most teams do improve during the season. If you take a look, the only programs that seem to get worse or make no progress are the bad ones. Insert Lufkin. 

2 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

This is our guy to turn this program around and get it back to the winning tradition somebody please reach out to our former panther 

Excellent choice.

32 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

This is our guy to turn this program around and get it back to the winning tradition somebody please reach out to our former panther 

The question is if he came. Who does he bring and who does he keep. Got to have a full staff on the same page. 

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

U I L Snap Shot Day is this week.  We will see some big changes in our current district the last two years. Have not seen many prediction on where Lufkin may go.   Have seen plenty on DCTF that states Longview, McKinney North, Lancaster, Forney and West Mesquite are going to 6A or are near the line to be 6A.

Did see a couple folks mention Lufkin headed to Port Arthur / Baytown area.  Don't know.   We will be able to size things up better by Friday.

(Oct 2021) Last realignment the cutoff number from 5A to 6A was 2225. Lufkin was 2199.

6A - Anything 2225 and up

5A DI was 1925-2224

5A DII was 1300-1924

4A DI was 880-1299

4A DII was 545-879

3A DI was 360-544

3A DII was 250-359

2A DI was 164.5-249

2A DII was 105-164.4

1A DI was 59.5-104.9

1A DII was 59.4 and below

Big gap in 5A Dll...

Panther game highlights against Tyler. 

https://fb.watch/nTvfUye_SZ/?mibextid=9R9pXO

The offensive and defensive Players of the Game were Kedren Young with 138 yards on 20 carries and 2 TD, and Isaiah Menefee with an INT.