2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

The secondary I watched did not cover all that well last night, they had 2 or 3 pass interference calls.  Let a simple slant go for a TD, got sucked in for a HB pass for TD. The Powell kids from MN had a field day catching passes.  I'm just disgusted and tired of losing and talking about the same old problems year after year.  The player cast may change, but the same losing key games remains, and fixing continued problems at mid season remains, that all continues year after year, and that is coaching.

I disagree with you some on that. I think Timmins and Young have played really well at corner. It's an extremely hard position to play and you're matched up 1 on 1 most of the time against the best athletes on the field. We can't ask them to cover those types of kids for a long amount of time. Timmins doesn't run up on that play and the RB just keeps it for a TD. It was just really a good play design off a running concept they had been gashing us on all game. You can't fault him on that play. I think the problem with the secondary is the play of the safeties. They're the ones that gave up the long TD on a slant and had the PI in the end zone. The main problem to me last night was the LB play. That's as bad as a game I've seen tackling since Beaumont Westbrook hung what was it 70 on us. We forget how bad those defenses really were during the Stafford years. That's what they looked like last night. I think McKinney North is a good offense but they not that good. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, timeout! said:

It's not the first time this has happened. I remember someone verbally going at the coaches after a playoff lost to JT at Rose. It was one of the years we had Kordell at Qb. 

That was my buddy. His kid is the stud at Grand Oaks now. His little brother is Kordell. He got into with our classmate Alton after the game and other things. 

2 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

I,m kind of thinking in that same line as are the kids as talented as we are lead to think, or is that there are many of them just going through the motion and are just frustrated with the program in general

I dont believe that we have as many good players than we did in the late 90's thru mid 2000's however how many teams in our district have a rb comitted to notre dame and DT recruited by likes of alabama, georgia etc and other kids that can really play? If they did, I bet they would be competing for at least the # 2 spot in district. The other thing I noticed is Lufkin does not seem to have as many on the team as in years past. My son graduated a few years ago and said you would not believe some of the guys walking the halls that do not play.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The problem is I don't think they care, like water off a duck's back. Those guys are protected, there is no one (important that makes decisions) breathing down their neck to do better or else. The system to build a winning program here is broke and the guys in charge can't fix it. He may say or think he can, but his results since 2017 does nothing to prove that as fact, and facts don't lie.

And the powers that be, know the fans are frustrated. And at this point, even they know his staff is underachieving. One big problem. Is no one that matters has the guts to make that call. Too many moving pieces they feel accountable too. It's already been discussed about all the spouses and family members also tied to the district. There are mortgages and college tuitions being paid. Close relationships formed through children, friends and church members. You give someone their walking papers and all of that is put at risk. 

It's just not something people around here comfortable doing. Has Lufkin ever had to push a coach out? I think most of them just moved on at some point. And does anyone know where Quick ranks for tenured coaches here? I would think he has to be toward the top. 

6 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

That was my buddy. His kid is the stud at Grand Oaks now. His little brother is Kordell. He got into with our classmate Alton after the game and other things. 

I remember him being ready to square up. Just years of frustration for everyone that supports this program. 

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

I,m kind of thinking in that same line as are the kids as talented as we are lead to think, or is that there are many of them just going through the motion and are just frustrated with the program in general

Yeah they really do. With a year of experience and certain teams moving up to 6A and losing key players at that. Should open the door for us next season. We have had moments this season where we look like a really good team. We just have to be more consistent. 

1 minute ago, timeout! said:

I remember him being ready to square up. Just years of frustration for everyone that supports this program. 

We really need his kid to move back. That would really make it interesting next season. Personally I'd put him at QB but I imagine he will play RB/WR. He would at least give them options.

5 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Yeah that three man front isn't working. Zion was getting handled, maybe he's not fully recovered 

They double Zion all night our LBs was no where to be find all night we met the running back in the hole every play we just wasn't wrapping up and NM was not good watch how Longview make them look next week 

6 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Longview will beat McNorth by 21+

Longview and Forney will both beat McNorth. Trouble here is it's just like last year, all three of those team now have tie breakers on Lufkin. Lancaster only has Lufkin to play now at end of year. Even Tyler still has Lufkin, Longview and Forney in a row to play.  Hard to believe Lancaster is 2-5 and 1-3  in district. They missed an x point in OT, then Forney scored and converted XP to win. The math is there still for Lufkin. I apologize though, my confidence level is not there today.  Lufkin must win all three remaining games and probably get help from other teams to squeeze in. Just dislike everything about having to rely on such things happening. 

Man, oh, man - I just watched some highlights from last night.  My jaw dropped - not at the play on the field, but the fact that ABE was a Ghost Town!  How many were there last night - 2,500?  Yeah - I know the deep pockets fans have kept their season tickets for 40 years and will keep on until they pass - but - Fans are speaking - Loud and Clear!  The product and program stink - there is ZERO upward trajectory with this program.  Pathetic.  

1 hour ago, LPPACK said:

There is other problems with attendance,also.I got my 4 season tickets,but i had rather stay at home

and watch it on you tube.Can we move to 4A? Somewhere we can compete,get rid of all this overhead high salaries.Just saying i'm ready for a change.

You know even though you do not attend. Lufkin ISD still counts you as a sold ticket for that game. Pad those numbers.

Don’t really like to single kids out because they are giving it their best; but Lufkin’s center looks undersized for the position and seems to get over powered by larger opponents. Looks like Young had little room to run last night, and the bulk of his yards came on his long run where he ran through 4/5 guys.

Kedren Young carries vs. McKinney North

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Longview and Forney will both beat McNorth. Trouble here is it's just like last year, all three of those team now have tie breakers on Lufkin. Lancaster only has Lufkin to play now at end of year. Even Tyler still has Lufkin, Longview and Forney in a row to play.  Hard to believe Lancaster is 2-5 and 1-3  in district. They missed an x point in OT, then Forney scored and converted XP to win. The math is there still for Lufkin. I apologize though, my confidence level is not there today.  Lufkin must win all three remaining games and probably get help from other teams to squeeze in. Just dislike everything about having to rely on such things happening.

I don't think we would need any help if we win out but the Lancaster game in Dallas seems like a longshot at this point. I think we can play with them early on but we haven't shown the ability this season to finish outside of Consolidated game. Who is have a decent season by the way. Last night really showed me that we're not nearly multiple enough on defense. No 4 or 5 man fronts. We just don't take enough chances. We need to blitz a lot more and create havoc. In a perfect world you would love to just rush 3 or 4 guys read and react defense but we struggle rushing the QB and we can't set the edge on defense. We get killed by the jet sweep and outside zone. If we could of just gotten half of those 3rd and longs and 4th down stops. I think we're having a different discussion today. Positive I can take away from this is they didn't lay down and get blown out and it was looking like that was about to happen. I don't question the kids effort. Playoffs start now for these guys. You can lose anymore or the season is over. Next up Tyler.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I saw the qb taking a sip of coffee on one of his throws - we never touched him.  We rush 3 and receivers are still open by 5 yards.  We can't tackle.  Other than that, the D looked only slightly terrible.  

How bout those kids that busted their asses for the last 2 years? They should have gotten better coaching,than these pretenders.Just think,i know i had 2 springs 2 seasons.They have off season,spring practice,then summer lifting,then on to beat Nacogdoches.All of that to just beat the dragons?Cause thats a highlite of the career,the last 4 years.No wonder we have 230 lbs walking the halls that can play.Thats it,they dont want to play.Remember its Skelton,Gay,Knight,Cesar,Langston and Henderson are your school board. Only 1 board member graduated from Lufkin High School.