2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

6 hours ago, Lennie said:

What can we do? Sad we can't move our kids most not getting developed to even get a chance at college.everyone comments are right.coaches stand around unconcerned.because they know they still getting paid.and if a parent says anything they take it out on the kids.i watched Green in practice giving baseball signals to the offense with no scheme.12 in the box kedren up the middle my God man at least get him the ball in space.defesive backs out of position.not looking for the ball .not enough space to talk about o line. Worst part about it.Quick sees the same and doesn't try to adjust. Durham secondary coach needs to coach track only .hate our kids will never experience true panther pride like the days of Coach Outlaw 

Quick is the head guy, good man, I like the heck out of him personally, he is just not getting the job done as our football coach. The buck stops with him missing the playoffs three straight years.  He has guys on staff who are not doing a good job. He knows it, either he doesn't do anything about it, or maybe can't do anything about it. Nevertheless these results are soley on him and his legacy as Lufkin coach.

Right now, I don't give a flying @$$ about next year or what is coming back next year. Not going to try to defuse what just ended.  I'm going to be tough to deal with from now on until these coaches do their job. I'm going to stay on them.  I'm tired of them not getting it done.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ttotal agree with you sir , I don’t give a dam about next year Lufkin has  missed the playoffs two years in a row Quick will not hold his staff accountable. when Outlaw was living I was fortune to be on the sideline at the Woodlands game , Green called a play that was a negative play Outlaw scream at him and said if you call that play again I’m going to send you to the Bus and I will call the plays  I never saw Quick get on his coaches  maybe he is exhausted and it’s time for him to step down.

28 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

I ttotal agree with you sir , I don’t give a dam about next year Lufkin has  missed the playoffs two years in a row Quick will not hold his staff accountable. when Outlaw was living I was fortune to be on the sideline at the Woodlands game , Green called a play that was a negative play Outlaw scream at him and said if you call that play again I’m going to send you to the Bus and I will call the plays  I never saw Quick get on his coaches  maybe he is exhausted and it’s time for him to step down.

That is a great story. I'd sent him to bus and home long ago. Terrible OC.

I look around see other fans getting excited about the post season. And think back to how that used to be a thing here. We are already 6 year removed from our last playoff run. And even that was just a blip after a 5 year drought. The program is dead right now. And will continue to struggle as long as things stay the same. My gut feeling is LISD is will let Quick stick around another 3-4 years until he retires. 

11 hours ago, timeout! said:

I look around see other fans getting excited about the post season. And think back to how that used to be a thing here. We are already 6 year removed from our last playoff run. And even that was just a blip after a 5 year drought. The program is dead right now. And will continue to struggle as long as things stay the same. My gut feeling is LISD is will let Quick stick around another 3-4 years until he retires. 

Well, not many fans will sticking around, just the mommy and daddy's and whoever represents the players, band, drill team and cheerleaders will be there, about 1000. Band Boosters will love the lower attendance to their fund raising. It's pure BS to support losing football. Right now is NOT the time to speak to me about next year. I won't be settled down until January. Maybe some winning basketball will settle things a bit.

If those football guys remain here 3-4 years, don't expect much playoff time. As I've said before, you just don't turn on the winning and losing switch at will, it take lots of work to build and maintain a winning football program. It's too late now to regain any playoff prominence for this coaching staff now. They may make the playoffs again, but they won't do anything with it. I got money on that to back it up.

Right now I'm just happy to get a great health report, past Halloween and this 5-5 Panther Torture House season. Really feel for the kids playing or want to play in their hometown, I really do. It's a big deal to me. I love watching the great players that have passed through the Panther football portals over years and there are dozens of player I could name. Erick McCoy is still playing in the NF. Jerrin Thompson and Ja Lynn Polk are highlighting in Top 10 college programs today.. Kedren Young is now headed to Notre Dame.  What do all those guys have to show for their time playing as a Panther, how many playoff games? How many playoff wins?    Therein lies the question to be asked, because we see what they can do at the next level. I'm glad to see them successful where they are playing, and Young will be too and win big games where he is going. 

Erick McCoy (2012-2014) played in 5 playoff games, went 2-3.  Jerrin Thompson (2016 -2018) played in 7 playoff games and was 4-3. JaLynn Polk (2017-2019) also played in 7 playoff games and also finished 4-3.  Their best year for Thompson and Polk was the 2017 playoffs.

Kedren Young (2021-2023) had no playoff games.  All of these kids mentioned were also three year starters for Lufkin football.

I remember when we lost to Garland in 2003 in the first round and nobody thought we had much of a chance in 2004. I'm getting similar vibes from this group next year. Nobody is expecting them to do much.  I personally think they're in for a big season. The district won't have 4 Top 15 teams in it next year and I think most of you are underestimating that aspect of it. I don't think there was any other district in 5A where we wouldn't of made the playoffs. The only game they really didn't compete in was the Longview game and nobody outside of Forney competed with Longview this year. They had a chance to win every other game this year. I think they're a lot closer to being a really good team next year then people think. It's a long off season but this was always the year before the year for me. They're going to be good next season and I'm going to be able to tell you guys I told you so.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I remember when we lost to Garland in 2003 in the first round and nobody thought we had much of a chance in 2004. I'm getting similar vibes from this group next year. Nobody is expecting them to do much.  I personally think they're in for a big season. The district won't have 4 Top 15 teams in it next year and I think most of you are underestimating that aspect of it. I don't think there was any other district in 5A where we wouldn't have made the playoffs. The only game they really didn't compete in was the Longview game and nobody outside of Forney competed with Longview this year. They had a chance to win every other game this year. I think they're a lot closer to being a really good team next year than people think. It's a long off season but this was always the year before the year for me. They're going to be good next season and I'm going to be able to tell you guys I told you so.

I think defensively they will be. Problem with offense is the line. Who is blocking and will we see improvement? We didn’t win the line of scrimmage once this year. Tough district or not that’s concerning. 

8 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I think defensively they will be. Problem with offense is the line. Who is blocking and will we see improvement? We didn’t win the line of scrimmage once this year. Tough district or not that’s concerning. 

I think with Jayvion he can hide more of those offensive line deficiencies and just the dynamics of having a QB that can score from anywhere on the field with his feet will force defenses into some hairy situations where they may have to come off a WR to make a play and that will leave guys open down field like on the big play against Forney this year when Jayvion found Kevondrick on a broken play. I'm not saying it's not going to be hard to watch at times but I think the big play potential will definitely be there. I think Preston has shown enough that next season he will unquestionably be the guy to get the ball to and a handful of other guys that are proven weapons at WR. As for RB I think a guy to watch is Chinn. He is a kid that is going to show up and work as hard as anyone you can ask. We should also get Gavin back next season. They may not be Kedren but both of those guys are good football players. I don't think the drop will be as big running the ball when you include the QB run game the offense will have next season. They won't take a step back offensively is what I'm saying. But the strength will be the defense next season. I know they struggled at times this year but they faced some legit offenses. Consolidated dropped 42 on College Station and they barely got to 17 on us. Held Lancaster to less points and big plays then Longview. They had moments they looked really good this year and some moments they struggled but once Murphy was inserted at LB they started to look a lot better at that position as a unit. So we know they're not taking a step back on that side next season. If anything they should be even better. With the way offense is played today all you can really do is ask your defense to hold teams to 17-21 ppg. Those are good numbers and they were not to far off that 21 this year and they faced some of the best offenses in 5A. 

I think everything is lining up for us to have one of those blip seasons as someone called it. I don't think this will be sustained success. I think it will be a perfect storm of them having a ton of experience returning more then we have had in a while with a group of SRs that have done nothing but win and expect to win. SR heavy teams with experience are dangerous in highschool football. 

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I remember when we lost to Garland in 2003 in the first round and nobody thought we had much of a chance in 2004. I'm getting similar vibes from this group next year. Nobody is expecting them to do much.  I personally think they're in for a big season. The district won't have 4 Top 15 teams in it next year and I think most of you are underestimating that aspect of it. I don't think there was any other district in 5A where we wouldn't of made the playoffs. The only game they really didn't compete in was the Longview game and nobody outside of Forney competed with Longview this year. They had a chance to win every other game this year. I think they're a lot closer to being a really good team next year then people think. It's a long off season but this was always the year before the year for me. They're going to be good next season and I'm going to be able to tell you guys I told you so.

Will probably agree with you on that in about 4 months. Right now, I'm just not in the mood with the 1st week of playoffs approaching and we are not there again. Three misses in a row. I understand what your saying about the team, I understand about how competitive this district has been the past two years, I watched it all. Close but no cigar.  I also know the talent we had this year and games we should have won, but did not. I totally hear what your saying about the returning talent and JV kids moving up, I really do hear you, but we still have the same OC and OLC, so that's a big roadblock IMO.

Sorry, have not been in a great mood about the program for a while now. I fell goofy before this season because I believed there was a glimer of hope to make the playoffs again. NOPE, same script as last year. PN, I know your looking at this from a much different perspective than I, your closer to things currently in this program. Just being honest when I say that I will believe it when I see it, and it has nothing to do with the kids playing.

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

you probably right sir but with that coaching staff i don't it .

5A DI Region II Playoffs - Bi-District Round

Richland vs. Frisco, 7:00 Friday at Birdville Fine Arts Complex

Barbers Hill vs. McKinney North, 7:00 Friday at Barbers Hill

Frisco Lone Star vs. W.T. White, 7 p.m. Thursday at the Ford Center at The Star

Forney vs. Port Arthur Memorial, 7:00 Friday at City Bank Stadium

Longview vs. New Caney Porter, 7:00 Friday at Longview

Frisco Reedy vs. Newman Smith, 7:00 Friday at the Ford Center at The Star

La Porte vs. Lancaster, 7:00 Friday at CE King Stadium in Sheldon

Mansfield Timberview vs. Frisco Wakeland, 7:00 Friday at Vernon Newsom Stadium

DCTF has posted Lufkin's enrollment for realignment at 2159.   

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/10/25/2023-uil-snapshot-day-enrollment-figures?ref=article_preview_img

I'm surprised, because its the same number that I had only GUESSED a week ago last Friday.  That's a 40 student drop from the last realignment of 2199.

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I will be waiting to hear you say it ,and I hope you can, but a new QB  and running back yet to emerge ? O-line  will have to improve mighty to achieve any success. " I told you guys so would be music to my ears"

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

5A DI Region II Playoffs - Bi-District Round

Richland vs. Frisco, 7:00 Friday at Birdville Fine Arts Complex

Barbers Hill vs. McKinney North, 7:00 Friday at Barbers Hill

Frisco Lone Star vs. W.T. White, 7 p.m. Thursday at the Ford Center at The Star

Forney vs. Port Arthur Memorial, 7:00 Friday at City Bank Stadium

Longview vs. New Caney Porter, 7:00 Friday at Longview

Frisco Reedy vs. Newman Smith, 7:00 Friday at the Ford Center at The Star

La Porte vs. Lancaster, 7:00 Friday at CE King Stadium in Sheldon

Mansfield Timberview vs. Frisco Wakeland, 7:00 Friday at Vernon Newsom Stadium

3 teams making a 300 mile one way or 600 mile round trip for a 1st round playoff game on a school day is ridiculous.  Shows how Much the UIL cares about its athletes.  

Carl Padilla, the Godfather of Texas high school football and creator of the Padilla Poll, is predicting 6A cutoff number to be 2265 based on the fact that 248 schools have turned in numbers greater than that number.....… so if his guess is correct, could be some good DFW 6A teams dropping to 5A DI.  

I personally believe the 5A DI cut off will be closer to 2235 - 2240. In fact they may not increase at all if the U I L adjust the top half of 4A down a bit to close the that disparity gap. UIL talks about it all the time but never seems to address it, because it would create a domino effect upward through 5A and 6A. 

Traditionally it has always been the top 245-250 6A schools to create the cut off for 5A DI. There is a disparity in 4A with big gaps between the top and bottom school enrollments in Div I and Div  II.  There is just no good way to address it.  Not sure even creating a 7A would help that much, which is not happening by the way. Neither are 6A DI and 6A DII districts happening, the 6A  superintendents voted that resolution down. 

It was 2224 cut off for 5A DI  last go around and the numbers rarely increase from one realignment to the next by more than 10-15 students.

As you see, 4A is the smallest amount of schools in all of the classifications, UIL wants more football schools in 4A. If the UIL did that it would push up the bottom number in 5A DII, 5A DI and 6A  by maybe 70-80 students which would change a lot of stuff.

6A has 249 football playing schools

5A has 251 football playing schools

4A has 192 football playing schools

3A has 206 football playing schools

2A has 207 football playing schools

1A has 148 football playing schools.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Carl Padilla, the Godfather of Texas high school football and creator of the Padilla Poll, is predicting 6A cutoff number to be 2265 based on the fact that 248 schools have turned in numbers greater than that number.....… so if his guess is correct, could be some good DFW 6A teams dropping to 5A DI.  

I personally believe the 5A DI cut off will be closer to 2235 - 2240. In fact they may not increase at all if the U I L adjust the top half of 4A down a bit to close the that disparity gap. UIL talks about it all the time but never seems to address it, because it would create a domino effect upward through 5A and 6A. 

Traditionally it has always been the top 245-250 6A schools to create the cut off for 5A DI. There is a disparity in 4A with big gaps between the top and bottom school enrollments in Div I and Div  II.  There is just no good way to address it.  Not sure even creating a 7A would help that much, which is not happening by the way. Neither are 6A DI and 6A DII districts happening, the 6A  superintendents voted that resolution down. 

It was 2224 cut off for 5A DI  last go around and the numbers rarely increase from one realignment to the next by more than 10-15 students.

I know DeSoto will opt up to 6A. That would be a bad 2 years for 5A D1 lol

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

As you see, 4A is the smallest amount of schools in all of the classifications, UIL wants more football schools in 4A. If the UIL did that it would push up the bottom number in 5A DII, 5A DI and 6A  by maybe 70-80 students which would change a lot of stuff.

6A has 249 football playing schools

5A has 251 football playing schools

4A has 192 football playing schools

3A has 206 football playing schools

2A has 207 football playing schools

1A has 148 football playing schools.

heh PA, sign Hudson up.The Hornets would give someone a run for their money.Lufkin people are moving out,not moving in.We will continue to shrink as long as we have friction and non-compliance at the higher levels. 9-12