2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

You might right about s S&C coach but the larger cities just have so many more kids to draw from. Di d you just notice how much bigger some of Lancaster  kids were. That part of DFW has many cities in that area, Lancaster,Desoto,Cedar Hill, Duncanville ,you can go from one to another without knowing you have left a city

I'm familiar with the are. You can't coach size. But your guys could definitely benefit from being a bit stronger, faster, and better conditioned. All things that can be improved to a degree. Longview is usually undersized on the line when they face those DFW schools too. But hardly see them getting whipped on the line like us. Those guys are tough as nails in the trenches and use speed and technique to out maneuver bigger lines. Out saw it last year when they played Mansfield Timberview. Mansfield fans thought they would just steam roll over Longview because they were so much bigger. Longview was also smaller than McKinney on the line and they held up. So it can be done with the right people in place. Lufkin just need to start over. 

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Someone on this forum predicted a 5-5 finish before the season began. I said no way that happens, I predicted no worse thathan 7-3 and a 3rd place finish. Well, looks like I was wrong. It's not just 5-5 either. This team started 3-0 in non district.  Finished 2-5 in district.  Just terrible.

And we only beat the two worst teams in district.

14 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

You ain’t getting new coaches here so might as well start hoping for some cop outs 

The community has lost total trust in this coaching staff make football a winning program. It is very evident when you attend home games. Hardly anyone there to watch.

I have to say last night the crowd was pumped up and loud,  chanting L P L P and the band playing their heads off. Road crowds are always the best anyway.

11 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I'm familiar with the are. You can't coach size. But your guys could definitely benefit from being a bit stronger, faster, and better conditioned. All things that can be improved to a degree. Longview is usually undersized on the line when they face those DFW schools too. But hardly see them getting whipped on the line like us. Those guys are tough as nails in the trenches and use speed and technique to out maneuver bigger lines. Out saw it last year when they played Mansfield Timberview. Mansfield fans thought they would just steam roll over Longview because they were so much bigger. Longview was also smaller than McKinney on the line and they held up. So it can be done with the right people in place. Lufkin just need to start over. 

Our OL got the butts handed to them much of the night, the Landcaster DL man handled them, our guys never got an inch of push most of the time. Heads were on a swivel, no answer for what was coming. We should have thrown the ball more, but Green is a stubborn cuss.

15 minutes ago, timeout! said:

You can’t coach size but Lufkin has some big boys. I have never felt like size is the problem watching Lufkin. The faster, stronger part has been the problem. Being strong is one thing too. Knowing how to use it is another. 

36 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Well now what? Wash, rinse, repeat? Despite a heroic effort last night and what I thought was above average play calling for this staff, we’re still 5-5 and sitting at home during the playoffs for the 3rd straight season. We all know what winning programs would do but that’s not us so. I guess we just hope for a lesser district next season along with what kids we have returning to make something happen. 

We have seen this movie a million times and know how it ends. Lufkin in a competitive district prob misses the playoffs next year. I know this staff all too well. Green is losing his workhorse back, that he has leaned on for 3 years now. And still was unable to crack a playoff spot. So he won't have a get out of jail card. And I suspect will struggle getting the offense moving. Despite some of his flaws, TJ was a 3 year starter and worked hard at the position. Just wasn't always put in the best position to be successful. Johnson will have to take his lumps early on. I would feel better about him, if he had more meaningful playing time this year. In retrospect, he prob should've spent another year on JV getting some reps. A great off season could set him up for good year. I think it will take some time though. 

Breaking in those two positions alone will be a challenge. I think Lufkin could get a spot in a really weak district. Which really wouldn't mean much. If you facing a team from a really competitive district like the one we are in now. Best case scenario is prob one and done next year. I think the defense will be much improved. But you have to be able to score points at some point. Not sure the OL problems get fixed over the next year.

20 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Absolutely my point. We are about the same in size as LV ,but look at the difference in the play which translate  to coaching. As I stated a few weeks ago ,King and his staff could take this same team and make a difference..

27 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Someone on this forum predicted a 5-5 finish before the season began. I said no way that happens, I predicted no worse thathan 7-3 and a 3rd place finish. Well, looks like I was wrong. It's not just 5-5 either. This team started 3-0 in non district.  Finished 2-5 in district.  Just terrible.

I think I had said 6-4 at best. I just wasn’t ever convinced this staff could get us any better. I also wasn’t real familiar with the talent, because I hear so many people say that all the time and it never pans out here. I had a feeling they would have to be 2005 talented to have won anything significant with this staff. 

After two plus decades of being a serious fan, last night was a reality check for me.  When I saw the score come up 27-21 in the 4th, I knew we weren't winning by 5 unless we finally got a freebie from someone or actually made a huge play in the 4th to win a close game.  Neither happened and I was already fast asleep.  Losing close games all the time is a sign of a failing program.  Next year the excuse will be we are too young and inexperienced.  Only appropriate we go 4 and out to end the game. Two district wins. 

2 minutes ago, Favpack said:

After two plus decades of being a serious fan, last night was a reality check for me.  When I saw the score come up 27-21 in the 4th, I knew we weren't winning by 5 unless we finally got a freebie from someone or actually made a huge play in the 4th to win a close game.  Neither happened and I was already fast asleep.  Losing close games all the time is a sign of a failing program.  Next year the excuse will be we are too young and inexperienced.  Only appropriate we go 4 and out to end the game. Two district wins. 

Lol so true. We’re always “young”. We’ve been young since 2017 🤣

I still say lots of purple kool-aid here.  I went back and read posts from earlier in the year.  We were going to have 7-3, 8-2 year.  I read our QB better than Tutt at Longview and how we are loaded with talent.   Sorry to say but without Young we probably lose 3 more games this year at least.  Next year we still have no QB that can consistently get the ball downfield to some talented receivers.  Still won’t have an OL to open any holes for a new unproven RB.  Maybe will get some move ins?   Defense will be returning lots of starters.  This year I think their talent was pretty much over estimated also.  Big Hooper did impress me though.  The big guy up front needs to play with some of his intensity and be more dominant next year.   Needs to be an everydown player instead every other or even less.   I guess long time until next season but look forward to all the posts about how we will dominate the new district.  

1 hour ago, mr. b said:

I still say lots of purple kool-aid here.  I went back and read posts from earlier in the year.  We were going to have 7-3, 8-2 year.  I read our QB better than Tutt at Longview and how we are loaded with talent.   Sorry to say but without Young we probably lose 3 more games this year at least.  Next year we still have no QB that can consistently get the ball downfield to some talented receivers.  Still won’t have an OL to open any holes for a new unproven RB.  Maybe will get some move ins?   Defense will be returning lots of starters.  This year I think their talent was pretty much over estimated also.  Big Hooper did impress me though.  The big guy up front needs to play with some of his intensity and be more dominant next year.   Needs to be an everydown player instead every other or even less.   I guess long time until next season but look forward to all the posts about how we will dominate the new district.  

You didn’t read any of that out of my mouth lol 

16 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Y'all know why Longview O Line is so tough while being undersized right Coach King still uses the Coach Outlaw and Coach Early treatment during the season I was told that by one of my buddies from Longview and I said that's why they tough as nails 

54 minutes ago, LTown said:

Y'all know why Longview O Line is so tough while being undersized right Coach King still uses the Coach Outlaw and Coach Early treatment during the season I was told that by one of my buddies from Longview and I said that's why they tough as nails 

They're tough as nails because of John King.

He was a state championship winning OL in HS and an All American in college.

He even coached OL at the 2020 Under Armour All American game in Florida.

JK always makes sure to have a very solid front 7 on defense too. Iron sharpens iron.

Longview also has 3-4 coaches that coach the OL. King himself, Coach Borens (former Longview great that played in 2 state championships and a semifinal. No one has started more games in Lobo history than Borens), Coach Hancock (former coordinator at another ETX program) and Coach Lott (coached some solid ETX OL over the years including Marshall's state finalist OL in 2005 and Longview's 2018 state OL). 

If you've ever been to a Longview practice, it's extremely intense physically and mentally especially for the OL. They constantly have coaches on their a%#

Longview is the closest comparison for Lufkin. And they never have the problems we seem to always have. At least during the Quick era. Haven't seen a LV practice, so I can't speak on that. Only what I've seen in person and on game film. The OL is solid on all levels when I watch them. All the way down to the freshmen games I've seen. That tells me the expectations are set early on. Anyone who saw Lufkin JV Thursday, wouldn't notice much difference between the OL play Friday. Lancaster blew past linemen in both games. The JV could barely get punts off because of it. 

10 hours ago, Favpack said:

They're going to return 16 starters next year. They will be as experienced team as we've had in a while.