2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

On 5/30/2024 at 10:59 AM, PackAttack said:

Wanted to let everyone know that there are still options open for a 3rd week game.  Efforts and contacts are being done on a daily basis.  There are two options that have opened up but would require meeting half way to play.  Not allowed to say just yet.  Searches are being explored out of State, and not Louisiana.  So stay tuned, something will hopefully transpire soon. 

Also, the Pack will have new home jersey's this year, their first new threads in 7 years.  Will let you guess. A new and different look.

Those two options I spoke about Lufkin meeting half way have decided to play each other. The teams were 6A teams El Paso Coronado and Eagle Pass. The EP game would have been in San Angelo, a long drive. The only teams from LA who showed any interest were a couple of 3A teams. They would be little competition. 

The search continues daily for a game, the word is out there. Hopefully a Week 3 game will come together before August. All it takes is one.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School's out, we are headed into the Summer of 2024.  We ALL know the type team we are expecting to see win this August. 

Many know how I feel about some things in the program. That said, things are what they will be here for now. You finally realize there is a different understanding that exist inside the district than how things are viewed from the outside fan world. No, letter writing to the newspaper, attempted petitions, boycotting the games or complaining about things on this site has not made an ounce of difference in the winning or losing over all the past few years.  You can plainly see the repetitious bantering we go through every year has not had any impact. Whatever will happen is going to happen regardless. I guess the only decision a fan needs to make is whether they continue to support the program or not. Simple as that.

Someday this will all change, however be careful about the definition of what change looks like.  May not be the exact type change some fans are hoping.  To support the kids playing seems to be a more important matter, at least to me. Just let the administrative folks do their job, they need to be the ones who evaluate the job of the Athletic Department and their performance.  Then there's ALL the other students who are taking part in the Friday night experience.  There is something to be said for Friday Night football in Texas, whether it's being a frustrated fan or not, there is just something about Friday Night HS football you can't get out of your system.  Hard to explain sometimes.  Maybe it's time to reevaluate some things, because coaching is not always the fault for the lack of success. Players bear some responsibility too, especially the Senior leadership of a team. It's a TEAM sport, all players and coaches are intertwined and work together for the good of the whole.

My health experience in latter 2022 changed my perspective on many things, and Panther football was one of them. I'm now at the age and demeaner to just enjoy the ride for what it's worth now. My apology to you guys for not being quite as involved as a Panther football fan this last few months, as I had been in the past.  My priorities became rearranged almost overnight, all the nit picking issues in life just faded away quickly, especially when you think you might now be here anymore.  No joke, I've done a 180 in my life on many things. Still, I'm really looking forward to watching these kids play this season. Just not going to be that upset about things if we don't meet expectations again. Of course I'll know why, but also know it's not my administrative call to get it fixed either. GO PACK!

On 5/30/2024 at 4:52 PM, PackAttack said:

More retirees at LHS with Kurt Stephens 29 years, Officer Ralph Bean 36 years and Coach David Guzman 38 years just to name 2 or 3.  Lot's of familiar faces around the campus these many years are making those decisions. Congratulations to them all, they certainly deserve the time to do what they want to do now.   

All 3 men you mentioned are fine members of this community.

I see where  College Station and Tyler are hosting their 7 on 7 SQT Tournaments next weekend. 

Wondering if Lufkin will participate in either one. DCTF should have the teams listed on their board on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

We are in June now and exactly 64 days from the 1st football practice for the 2024 season. Not hearing much from folks around town like there has been in the past. There was a lot of talk a couple months ago flying under the radar about a shake up of some sort happening.  I didn't mention any specifics here because I just want see some official verification these days before speaking about such things.

If you read DCTF you know there are coaching hires and moves still happening at every classification level. That's because school is out and what's left open out there coaches can now decide on their moves.

Possibly what has happen the last three years in the football program makes the fans quite about 2024 expectations, maybe a wait to see stance. They have seen the expectations before and remember what happen then. So folks are just holding their ground.  People ask me all the time about next year. Just say they have 48 seniors coming back, they are returning several starters on both sides, and they are suppose to be a talented group. Just have to wait to see how all that turns out, I do add that moving to Region III in District 9-5A improves their chances. Doesn't guarantee anything, but things are not lock and loaded like 5ADI Region II.  They also ask me, "How's the OL going to be?", I say, don't have a clue. LOL, and I don't.

Really interested in how Javion Johnson will impact this team at QB. It's understood he is a raw talent but don't think we have seen a QB like him here at Lufkin since maybe Kordell Rogers.  

IMO if this group doesn't make a substantial run at State this year it will be a long wait for another opportunity.  Any thoughts?

38 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I see where  College Station and Tyler are hosting their 7 on 7 SQT Tournaments next weekend. 

Wondering if Lufkin will participate in either one. DCTF should have the teams listed on their board on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

We are in June now and exactly 64 days from the 1st football practice for the 2024 season. Not hearing much from folks around town like there has been in the past. There was a lot of talk a couple months ago flying under the radar about a shake up of some sort happening.  I didn't mention any specifics here because I just want see some official verification these days before speaking about such things.

If you read DCTF you know there are coaching hires and moves still happening at every classification level. That's because school is out and what's left open out there coaches can now decide on their moves.

Possibly what has happen the last three years in the football program makes the fans quite about 2024 expectations, maybe a wait to see stance. They have seen the expectations before and remember what happen then. So folks are just holding their ground.  People ask me all the time about next year. Just say they have 48 seniors coming back, they are returning several starters on both sides, and they are suppose to be a talented group. Just have to wait to see how all that turns out, I do add that moving to Region III in District 9-5A improves their chances. Doesn't guarantee anything, but things are not lock and loaded like 5ADI Region II.  They also ask me, "How's the OL going to be?", I say, don't have a clue. LOL, and I don't.

Really interested in how Javion Johnson will impact this team at QB. It's understood he is a raw talent but don't think we have seen a QB like him here at Lufkin since maybe Kordell Rogers.  

IMO if this group doesn't make a substantial run at State this year it will be a long wait for another opportunity.  Any thoughts?

I’m excited to see what summer brings. I think they have some talented, hard working kids. Plus the talent is spread out which I always prefer to see. From posts I’ve seen they don’t have to work hard to convince them to be at summer workouts, which is good. I don’t think this is close to a state caliber team. I saw too many weaknesses in the spring game, granted I know who was out and the impact that has as well. I am one that believes Lufkin should be a dominant force every year, so I think other opportunities will come. Lufkin has probably more natural athletes than most schools in the state. 

I think this team has a chance to be good. The talent it there on both sides of the ball. But this is Texas HS football and only the best of the best consistently make playoff runs. Lufkin could possibly have a breakout season. Johnson at Qb is the X-factor. Along with offensive line play. My only concern for him is the lack of playing time and staying healthy. He showed me a lot during the Forney game. But he has to learn how to slide, get down or run out of bounds. We'll need him to stay healthy for a run. 

I'll just sit back and watch how the season turns out. 

Lufkin will be playing in this weekends TYLER 7 on 7 SQT.   * Indicates that team has already qualified in a previous SQT and is not eligible to advance in the Tyler Tourney. 

Pool play will begin at 9 AM on Saturday at Lindsey Park, Tyler Texas.

Pool A -  Tyler Legacy, Kaufman *,  Terrell, Mesquite Poteet

Pool B - Mount Pleasant, Tyler Chapel Hill, Greenville, Mesquite Horn

Pool C - Longview, Lufkin, Whitehouse, Hallsville

Winner Pool A vs Winner Pool B at 11:45 AM

Winner Pool A  vs Winner Pool C at 12:30 PM

Winner Pool B vs Winner Pool C at 1:15 PM (If necessary)

On 6/2/2024 at 10:07 PM, timeout! said:

I think this team has a chance to be good. The talent it there on both sides of the ball. But this is Texas HS football and only the best of the best consistently make playoff runs. Lufkin could possibly have a breakout season. Johnson at Qb is the X-factor. Along with offensive line play. My only concern for him is the lack of playing time and staying healthy. He showed me a lot during the Forney game. But he has to learn how to slide, get down or run out of bounds. We'll need him to stay healthy for a run. 

I'll just sit back and watch how the season turns out. 

Same….I'm just going to sit back and see what happens. I Hope all goes well. I know we have talent, but it’s always going to be coaching and the oline issues for me. 

On 6/4/2024 at 5:21 PM, Pack007 said:

Same….I'm just going to sit back and see what happens. I Hope all goes well. I know we have talent, but it’s always going to be coaching and the o line issues for me. 

How much better is this 2024 group than the last two seasons? Someone has got to ask, there has been SO much talk the last two years leading up to 2024.  Having 48 seniors with experience stands out as a plus. We have the same coaching leadership as last three years and missing the playoffs. IMO the teams the last two year had more than enough talent to make the playoffs. So what makes things different this year?  

We fans are all seeking the same thing, winning and making playoff runs. Lot's of hype this year. Pack007 has some good words of wisdom, might better sit back and see what happens. We older hats have been in this same seat before. If you were not around before Quick was HC, then you definitely do not know what a great Panther team looks like, by comparison 2017 was a very good team but not great.  What exactly sticks out about these last three years that lend hope this next group may equal or exceed the 2017 team?  Someone told me the other day at the hardware store that these coaches are all in this year. I just SMH and said, What???, thought coaches were suppose to be ALL IN every season. You see, I don't want to hear things like that, it makes no sense to me. Most of the things I hear or people text to me must be taken with a grain of salt anyway.  Then I think about the Lufkin coaches quotes in the paper "it's more about character building than winning".  I take that literally to mean in the most positive way, that "Good character equals Winning". Right?

I'll say it again, there's absolutely no reason to think this 2024 group playing in Region III - 9-5A DI should not have a banner football season.  Can they join the Panther greats from 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 or the 2006 guys? Might be a tall order, and if they do,  they would need to taking the same route as the 1998 team. They too had no previous playoff platform to build their house. On paper, this team comes in with some nice credentials and high expectations.  I'm with Pack007,  just want to sit back and see it happen.

So maybe turning it on, going all out for one last hurrah run is all we have to hang our hat. To be honest, between the fence post and the road, that's probably all we've got! 

I saw a recent article about A&M being in the hunt for Zion. And it got me to thinking. We identified several kids in this senior group as being possible P5 signees. Outside of Zion, has anyone else been offered D1 scholarships? I feel like Preston has the talent, but was grossly misused his sophomore and junior season. Not his fault. Hopefully he can put together a great senior season and get some more looks. Seem like I'm missing couple of more. Can't remember who the other players were. 

Guess I'm to assume the Wallace kid decided to stay put? I remember some talk about him maybe coming back. I always felt he would prob stay down in the Houston area. We still have a good group at the RB position. 

When I look at P5 guys outside of Zion. Preston and Young come to mind first. We have other D1 guys for sure too. Big hoop, Mosley, Chinn, Taylor. All them could be D1 and I know some already have those offers. Just my thoughts 

34 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

When I look at P5 guys outside of Zion. Preston and Young come to mind first. We have other D1 guys for sure too. Big hoop, Mosley, Chinn, Taylor. All them could be D1 and I know some already have those offers. Just my thoughts 

Okay. Let just assume Lufkin may end up with 7 or 8 guys rated as P5 talent on this team.  What would be your expectations overall for the District and Region the Panthers will play this year?

58 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Okay. Let just assume Lufkin may end up with 7 or 8 guys rated as P5 talent on this team.  What would be your expectations overall for the District and Region the Panthers will play this year?

For me I really look at 3rd in the district as the floor. I don’t know what barbers hill and PAM have this year but I’m guessing they won’t be bad. Then match ups matter. If we can avoid the college station schools, we just need to pull a win in the first round and I think they can get pretty far. Region III is pretty week overall. 

10 hours ago, Pack13 said:

Preston, Hooper, Young have all picked up FBS offers. I expect a few more. Alexander,Timmons, Lil Hoop have all been offers at lower levels. I expect a few more kids will get FBS offers.

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

How much better is this 2024 group than the last two seasons? Someone has got to ask, there has been SO much talk the last two years leading up to 2024.  Having 48 seniors with experience stands out as a plus. We have the same coaching leadership as last three years and missing the playoffs. IMO the teams the last two year had more than enough talent to make the playoffs. So what makes things different this year?  

We fans are all seeking the same thing, winning and making playoff runs. Lot's of hype this year. Pack007 has some good words of wisdom, might better sit back and see what happens. We older hats have been in this same seat before. If you were not around before Quick was HC, then you definitely do not know what a great Panther team looks like, by comparison 2017 was a very good team but not great.  What exactly sticks out about these last three years that lend hope this next group may equal or exceed the 2017 team?  Someone told me the other day at the hardware store that these coaches are all in this year. I just SMH and said, What???, thought coaches were suppose to be ALL IN every season. You see, I don't want to hear things like that, it makes no sense to me. Most of the things I hear or people text to me must be taken with a grain of salt anyway.  Then I think about the Lufkin coaches quotes in the paper "it's more about character building than winning".  I take that literally to mean in the most positive way, that "Good character equals Winning". Right?

I'll say it again, there's absolutely no reason to think this 2024 group playing in Region III - 9-5A DI should not have a banner football season.  Can they join the Panther greats from 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 or the 2006 guys? Might be a tall order, and if they do,  they would need to taking the same route as the 1998 team. They too had no previous playoff platform to build their house. On paper, this team comes in with some nice credentials and high expectations.  I'm with Pack007,  just want to sit back and see it happen.

So maybe turning it on, going all out for one last hurrah run is all we have to hang our hat. To be honest, between the fence post and the road, that's probably all we've got! 

This 2024 group is significantly better the last 2 years. It's going to be a fun season. 

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

This 2024 group is significantly better the last 2 years. It's going to be a fun season. 

Guess the better question would be, what are your expectations?, because in reality just making the playoffs would be significantly better than the last two years.  With all the returning talent in this group, you would think nothing less than a 2017 type four round finish would be expected.  Those 48 seniors will be able to carry that baton as far as they want IMO.

14 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Guess the better question would be, what are your expectations?, because in reality just making the playoffs would be significantly better than the last two years.  With all the returning talent in this group, you would think nothing less than a 2017 type four round finish would be expected.  Those 48 seniors will be able to carry that baton as far as they want IMO.

I'm thinking the 3rd round should be the minimum goal that would have us playing Turkey Ball. My expectations are really high. I think they're good enough to make the title game. They're probably only about 3-4 teams in Region 3 that concern me. #1 on my list is Barbers Hill followed by College Station, Consolidated, and PAM. Just based on last season results. I still need to deep dive into who all brings what back. Smithson Valley is the likely team that comes out of Region 4. They have a kid I use to coach a long time ago in Killeen that's a stud with multiple FBS offers. None of these teams scare me with what we have coming back.

Dave Campbell Texas Football's Matt Stepp has made his picks for tomorrow's Tyler 7 on 7 SQT.

Pool A winner:  Tyler Legacy

Pool B winner:  Mesquite Horn

Pool C winner:  Lufkin

State Qualifiers:  Mesquite Horn and Lufkin

Zion William's is making his college announcement on July 4th.......  would like to see him head to Austin or Ft Worth.  That's just me looking at how much more impact he would have at those two places. He would play right away at TCU.  Then again, I'm sure the impact of NIL has it's fingers in this decision too.

3 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Zion William's is making his college announcement on July 4th.......  would like to see him head to Austin or Ft Worth.  That's just me looking at how much more impact he would have at those two places. He would play right away at TCU.  Then again, I'm sure the impact of NIL has it's fingers in this decision too.

He's going to LSU 

24 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

He's going to LSU 

Okay. He is headed to the campus of 1200+ Live Oaks lining almost every pathway among the inspiring architecture of Italian-Renaissance buildings, some dating back to 1920. It's quite a campus setting, right on the Mississippi River banks, and the football stadium is a stone's throw away for students.  Too many leave Texas to play, then again they all can stay here.

Lufkin defeated Longview 28-12 in the first game today in Tyler. The Panthers are currently playing Whitehouse in the 9:45 AM game.

Tyler SQT

Pool A Terrell 25, Kaufman 18 Tyler Legacy 19, Mesquite Poteet 6

Pool B Mesquite Horn 32, Tyler Chapel Hill 6 Mount Pleasant 14, Greenville 6

Pool C Lufkin 28, Longview 12 Whitehouse 27, Hallsville 7