2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Had a joke to make about the above concerning the ETX OLCLINIC, but could not bear to do it. LOL  It had something to do with one step zone blocking right, one step zone blocking left, you get the drift. That's enough.  Hope all of our Lufkin kids can make this clinic.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to acknowledge the passing of a great Lufkin Panther fan, and former three sport athlete for the Panthers. 

Morris "Dooney" Parrish 76,  was a avid Panther sports fan. He was an All-District player in Lufkin in three sports (football, baseball and basketball) from 1964-1966.. Mr. Parrish earned a Football scholarship and played at Blinn College.  Hard to lose those older Panthers who contributed to it's history and then continued to come watch and support those kids who came after them.  RIP in Peace Dooney, will miss seeing you at the games.

DR. JAMES HOCKENBERRY NAMED LONE SUPERINTENDENT FINALIST

The Lufkin ISD Board of Trustees has announced Dr. James Hockenberry as the lone finalist for the position of Lufkin ISD Superintendent. Hockenberry brings extensive knowledge of public education and 29 years of experience to the position.
Since January 2020, Hockenberry has served as the Longview ISD Assistant Superintendent for District Services. He spent 14 years as a superintendent in two districts, Center and Chireno. Before that, he was a principal, assistant principal and science teacher.
“The board considered 43 applications, community input, two layers of interviews and reference and background checks in our extensive search for our next superintendent,” said Kristi Gay, board president. “Dr. James Hockenberry is the Board’s unanimous choice to fill this position. He has extensive experience and knowledge in all aspects of leading school districts, as well as good communication skills. We look forward to working with Dr. Hockenberry.”

To read the article, click the link: https://www.lufkinisd.org/.../lufkin-isd-board-of.../

image.png

14 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Elijah Alexander has an offer from East Central U in Oklahoma. Don't believe it will be the last.

That's the school former Lufkin Panther Michael Ingram is coaching the DL at and definitely won't be his last offer. 

I'm really excited for this season coming up. Can't wait.

Longview has officially listed Lufkin as an away game. Can't think of a better way to start the season than Longview vs Lufkin. Although all of the Longview fans are tossing this up as a warm up game and I get it. Longview has absolutely owned us the last decade but at Abe with a ton of starters returning from a team loaded with D1 kids. It's going to be interesting come August 30 and I fully expect Lufkin to beat Longview. It's going to get labeled an upset and it shouldn't.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Longview has officially listed Lufkin as an away game. Can't think of a better way to start the season than Longview vs Lufkin. Although all of the Longview fans are tossing this up as a warm up game and I get it. Longview has absolutely owned us the last decade but at Abe with a ton of starters returning from a team loaded with D1 kids. It's going to be interesting come August 30 and I fully expect Lufkin to beat Longview. It's going to get labeled an upset and it shouldn't.

Good, I had figured that to be home game for Lufkin. As far as I know the schedule is still missing a Week #3 game.  So that's Longview and Nacogdoches at home the first two weeks, maybe an off week, then to Tyler High in Week #4.  

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Good, I had figured that to be home game for Lufkin. As far as I know the schedule is still missing a Week #3 game.  So that's Longview and Nacogdoches at home the first two weeks, maybe an off week, then to Tyler High in Week #4.  

I'd be disappointed if they end up having a off week. Just get some Mexico team if you have to. I know for a fact they can get a list of teams nationally to come play if they really wanted to. 

20 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I'd be disappointed if they end up having a off week. Just get some Mexico team if you have to. I know for a fact they can get a list of teams nationally to come play if they really wanted to.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm sure Quick has been in contact with folks. For someone to come very far to play here or us to go there, even meet us half way somewhere would suffice. I believe the football budget got cut a bit this year, after the 9 plus million over budget the distrct has endured the past couple of years. Quick may not have the funds to bring someone here from a long distance. Hopefully, Mr Hockenberry can help guide things in a new direction for the district and the football program. 

4 hours ago, mr. b said:

Lord, surely it cannot get worse than his predecessor.  😊

Interesting that he is a former Longview, Center and Cherino guy. ALL East Texas experiences as a Superintendent. New idea's, new direction, no more status quo, he certainly has the qualifications to be successful here. His ideas seem to fit the make up of the district, very similar to Longview, Center and Cherino.

So shocked and saddened to hear about Malcom Deason this morning. He was a very good friend over many many years. My prayers for all his family.

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I read were details of the week 3 game would be released soon. Does anyone have any idea?

It will be a total surprise to me.

On 4/10/2024 at 4:06 PM, mr. b said:

Is there anyone on Kings staff we would want to take over for Quick when he retires?

We all know Superintendent and Coaches tend to have close relationships. Not always, but for the most part.

Hockenberry was only the assistant Sup in Longview for about 3 years, so he doesn't really have a real connection to Longview IMO. For that reason, I don't think getting a Longview coach or Longview connected coach is a reality for Lufkin. If it was though, Berry (DC) is proven as a HC. One of the best coaches in ETX. Another option could be Jerrod Baugh, former OC under King. Current HC at 5A Ruston, LA....just won a state title last year and was in the title game the year before that.

But like I said, I don't think Hockenberry has Longview connections like that. Seemed to be sort of a pit stop for him. However, he was Superintendent at Center for 12 years before going to Longview. 

Ralph Thomas is obviously a choice with the turnaround he's had at Yates. And he'd more than likely be bringing an excellent OC with him in Longview alum Jon Writt, who worked at Lufkin (2014) before and helped Longview hit some high milestones including the title in 2018. Want to know the artist behind the likes of Kamden Perry and Jalen Hale? Coach Writt was WRs coach for Longview from 2015-2022 and was responsible for signaling in our plays. Hated it when Writt left but was happy to see him go up the ranks.

I'd keep an eye on Center HC Ricky Meeks. He won at Alto, he's winning at Center....won a championship as an assistant under his legendary father Dickie Meeks. I bet he'd get a call. ETX guy so you'll get stability.

Hockenberry also has a connection with Barry Bowman, who won multiple state titles at Daingerfield. Think he's coaching down in Florida now.

6 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

We all know Superintendent and Coaches tend to have close relationships. Not always, but for the most part.

Hockenberry was only the assistant Sup in Longview for about 3 years, so he doesn't really have a real connection to Longview IMO. For that reason, I don't think getting a Longview coach or Longview connected coach is a reality for Lufkin. If it was though, Berry (DC) is proven as a HC. One of the best coaches in ETX. Another option could be Jerrod Baugh, former OC under King. Current HC at 5A Ruston, LA....just won a state title last year and was in the title game the year before that. 

But like I said, I don't think Hockenberry has Longview connections like that. Seemed to be sort of a pit stop for him. However, he was Superintendent at Center for 12 years before going to Longview. 

Ralph Thomas is obviously a choice with the turnaround he's had at Yates. And he'd more than likely be bringing an excellent OC with him in Longview alum Jon Writt, who worked at Lufkin (2014) before and helped Longview hit some high milestones including the title in 2018. Want to know the artist behind the likes of Kamden Perry and Jalen Hale? Coach Writt was WRs coach for Longview from 2015-2022 and was responsible for signaling in our plays. Hated it when Writt left but was happy to see him go up the ranks.

I'd keep an eye on Center HC Ricky Meeks. He won at Alto, he's winning at Center....won a championship as an assistant under his legendary father Dickie Meeks. I bet he'd get a call. ETX guy so you'll get stability.

Hockenberry also has a connection with Barry Bowman, who won multiple state titles at Daingerfield. Think he's coaching down in Florida now.

All sounds enticing. It's just been this way for 12 years now, same approach, some folks are just better at being a real good coordinator, than HC/AD. Nothing at all wrong with that, you see it occur at every level of sports. Some assistants do well in the change, while others don't and go back to their coaching strength.  That's not a knock on Quick's ability as a coach at all.  Your mentor dies suddenly, then the job is shoved right under your nose by Superintendent Knight. What do you do in a moment of sorrow and shock? Quick, who had never been out front before, never a HC, much less an AD is thrust in as the head guy.  There is no secret we have not had good playoff success these past 12 years, these last three are unacceptable.

Change is coming, whether it's this year or next. How drastic or not? Guess we'll all find that one out at the same time. Ralph is an excellent choice for this community. The others mention I'm sure would too because our Lufkin kids are not much different than those playing in Longview or Center.  When the time comes, it will happen. I've stopped being too concerned about it.  That's all up to folks in higher decision making positions than myself.