Lufkin Panther BOYS BASKETBALL 2023 - 2024 Season

How did UIL allow Oak Cliff Faith Family to participate?    A private church school??? They beat Lancaster and played a ton of Nationally Ranked private schools.  These 4A teams are no match for them.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

How did UIL allow Oak Cliff Faith Family to participate?    A private church school??? They beat Lancaster and played a ton of Nationally Ranked private schools.  These 4A teams are no match for them.

There has been complaints about them playing in 4A for a while. Last year I believe they lost to Carter but Carter also beat the 6A champ last season too.

Lake Ridge and Silsbee both playing in state championship tournament were on Lufkin's schedule this year.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Austin Brown is having a great Summer offseason.

He just picked up an SMU offer not that long ago. I think officially he might be the most recruited Lufkin basketball player ever. In my lifetime only JJ Montgomery and Beau Mulbach are the only other basketball players I can think of that are that kind of caliber. We've probably have had some others but I can only go back to the mid 90's. Would love to hear about some of the older guys I didn't get to see play and how they stack up to these guys.

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Austin Brown is having a great Summer offseason.

Expecting great thinks from him and Parks this year. Still think we need one or two more pieces around him to really push some of those better teams. 

Lufkin got a pair of wins in the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Boys Showcase last weekend and played two of its three games on the featured courts at the Southwest Athletic Center in Carrollton.

The showcase, in its fourth year, is put on by the TABC and allows high school coaches to coach their players in the event.

Lufkin won its opening game in the SWAC over Class 5A San Antonio Jay 71-63 on Saturday. Lufkin defeated Class 6A Trophy Club Byron Nelson 57-51 at Hebron High School on Sunday and lost to TACA 56-54 on Sunday afternoon in the SWAC.

“The San Antonio team is one of the top teams in Region 4 and Trophy Club was a 6A playoff team last year. 

The showcase featured more than 5,000 student/athletes, 1,000-plus high school coaches, 350-plus college coaches, 150 media personnel and more than 200 game officials.

“The gyms were incredibly packed and there was some electricity in there,” McManus said. “It was great for our kids to get to experience that environment and compete against some high-level teams.”

Players competing in the tournament for Lufkin were Brown, Caden Burse, C.J. Burse, Deuce Harrell, B.J. Thomas, DaLynn Newman, Marcellus Parks, Kayden Thompson, Jakevion Sanders, Tripp McManus, Brycen Skinner, JaKevon Moore and Brailen Thompson.