2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

What’s your gut saying this year? 

If I didn't think the talent was there to do a lot better, I would not like our playoff chances. I want to see how they are prepared and play against McKinney North in a couple of weeks, I'm giving them one more chance. This is more on the coaches than the kids IMO.  I'm just a glutton for punishment. LOL

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really believe this group will get back on track this week, don't think they are real happy about the last two weeks.  Time to let off a little steam up in North Mesquite.  Young, Murphy and Chinn will have a good night running the ball.  The Lufkin D will be back to full strength those are all positives for Friday night. Hope Hammond is back, if not I'm sure Johnson can handle what needs to be done this week.  Think the Pack will cover the +16 over North Mesquite.

On 9/30/2023 at 12:59 PM, PackAttack said:

This is what always messes with my head. Why this fixing stuff continues 5 or 6 games into a season. You can't keep addressing things in this way season after season. The team should be getting better as the season moves on.  All of this current 2023 group, coaches and players have 5 games left this year to again make a difference and change folks minds about this team ending up as they have the past two seasons.  I hear the words, we've heard them before of course. At some point, fans stop listening because the results do not match the talk.

I quit listening too that mess a long time ago. This is the line all coaches recite, when they are ask about a game....

5 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

I quit listening too that mess a long time ago. This is the line all coaches recite, when they are ask about a game....

True. Well it's hard to ignore it, because it has become so repetitive.

DCTF / Pigskin Prep Comprehensive Texas High School Football Computer Rankings — Week 7

7-5A DI Rankings:

# 4 - Longview (4-1)

#9 - Forney (5-0)

#15 - Lancaster (1-4)

#21 - McKinney North (4-1)

#40 - Tyler (4-1)

#46 - Lufkin (3-2)

#76 - West Mesquite (3-2)

#86 - North Mesquite (1-4)

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon.

The Panthers return from a bye when they travel to face the North Mesquite Stallions at 7 Friday night. Lufkin’s original schedule said the game would be played at Memorial Stadium. However, it will be played at Mesquite’s E.H. Hanby Stadium, which is located at 410 E. Davis, Mesquite, TX, 75149.

Q What was the team able to get accomplished after two losses headed into the bye week?

A The biggest thing was getting some of those guys back that we were missing. At the same time, you have to spend that time getting better. The main thing is clicking in all three phases. We’ve had good games in one or two areas at a time but haven’t put together that complete game yet. We need to get all three phases clicking at the same time.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_aecbbefe-7c61-5aa1-89ab-1a9299d2cf23.html

Q How was the emphasis during the bye different than other weeks of practice?

A You’re working on improving yourself and not necessarily looking at someone else. The guys came here last week and really worked hard. There was a lot of tackling and a lot of blocking. I thought we took advantage of the bye week.

Q With two trips to the Dallas area over the final month of the season, how important is it for the team to be able to handle that travel?

A Every group is different, but you still have to make sure they are ready to go. It’s a little over three hours on a bus there. We’ll stop once on the way to be able to stretch our legs. You’ve got a bunch of guys on the bus that were here with the long trips last year. They can watch the older guys and see how they handle it. The main thing is getting off the bus ready to play. We had a game last year where we didn’t handle the travel very well.

Q What were you most pleased with in the way the team handled the past few weeks?

A I had seniors come in this week and ask if they could address the team before practice. The focus is to get back to that 3-0 type of thinking and knowing where we were before the last two games. Team leadership can go a long way. Kedren (Young) stood up after the last game.

When your brother is standing by you and has the confidence to stand up and say what needs to be said, it means a lot more to the guys on the team.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Today's newspaper had articles from two people about the lackluster performance of this staff, one from Mr Kiel and someone else. Then I read the Q&A and quick is saying the same old repetitive memorized speech about all phases of the game. People that are familiar with Lufkin football and are big fans just have started too staying home on Friday's and the rest of the people that hear these things and my be on the fence about football just don't bother to come 

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

The staff have the higher ups convinced it’s the kids’ fault and not theirs. They legit think we don’t have much talent. 

Hey, there are 2 or 3 board members who are not taking that bait any longer. The other issue for me, you just never hear Quick take the responsibility for losing.  Well,  I mention Quick directly only because he is the spokesman for the football program and the protector of his staff.

2 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Today's newspaper had articles from two people about the lackluster performance of this staff, one from Mr Kiel and someone else. Then I read the Q&A and quick is saying the same old repetitive memorized speech about all phases of the game. People that are familiar with Lufkin football and are big fans just have started too staying home on Friday's and the rest of the people that hear these things and my be on the fence about football just don't bother to come 

Yea, I read both. Chuckled a bit as I write this because there was a couple folks thought I might be the Carl Kiel writing to the paper. Nope, I'm not Carl.  Although there are SOME things I agree with him about, I do not write to the paper. There are SOME things we can all agree with Carl or Alana about, we as fans see things, we see results.  It doesn't take a football genius to figure out the Panther program has some playoff making, playoff winning issues. I give Carl a ton of  credit, whether completely correct or not, he pulls no punches. That's a tough letter to write with 5 games left and still some hope ahead for the playoffs.

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

A I had seniors come in this week and ask if they could address the team before practice. The focus is to get back to that 3-0 type of thinking and knowing where we were before the last two games. Team leadership can go a long way. Kedren (Young) stood up after the last game.

When your brother is standing by you and has the confidence to stand up and say what needs to be said, it means a lot more to the guys on the team.

This the only reason I'm holding out hope. I know what type of kids they have leading this team. The whole team rallied behind Young against Forney. 

37 minutes ago, timeout! said:

This the only reason I'm holding out hope. I know what type of kids they have leading this team. The whole team rallied behind Young against Forney. 

I agree.  A very good trait to see Senior leadership step up. Want to see them go out there and do what they do best. Not allowing ANYONE to hold them back, hope they get my drift. Just can't say what I really feel here anymore. 

16 hours ago, mr. b said:

Mr Kiel doesn’t hold back his words for sure.   Look at the makeup of the school board,  I don’t think coach is going anywhere until he decides to retire.  

I like Mr. Kiel. I believe I have stated kids aren’t developed in the program many times. Honestly if my kid played for Lufkin I would be pissed about the development. 

31 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

Can someone post the Article From the News Paper please about the Football Program

This is the link to the articles :

Carl Kiel:  https://lufkindailynews.com/opinion/letters/letter-pack-success-just-a-wish-and-a-dream/article_e421b302-a727-52a8-8fb6-bfa67a75d6a4.html

Alana Sims: https://lufkindailynews.com/opinion/letters/letter-coach-results-stay-the-same/article_b60c3f69-67a5-5281-ba8a-ac82f8c88b11.html

If you can't open to read, let me know and I will send in a private message.

DCTF Game Projections for 7-5A DI Week of Oct 6th:

Longview (4-1) is a +6 at Forney (5-0)

Lufkin (3-2) is a +16 at North Mesquite (1-4)

Lancaster (1-4) is a +14 at home over Tyler (4-1) 

McKinney North (4-1) is a +28 at home over West Mesquite (3-2)