2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Heading into the sixth week of the the 2023 season here are the  computer rankings provided by DCTF/ Jerry's Pigskin Prep for District 7-5A DI:

FYI - #1 - Aledo (5-0), #2 - Smithson Valley (4-1), #3 - PSJA North (5-0)

District 7-5A DI:

#4 - Longview (4-1)

#8 -  Forney (5-0)

#16 - Lancaster (1-4)

#22 - McKinney North (4-1)

#39 - Tyler (4-1)

#47 - Lufkin (3-2)

#75 - West Mesquite (3-2)

#87 - North Mesquite (1-4)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to mention that these DCTF/ Pigskin Prep computer rankings have been quite accurate the past two years and seem to be on the same track in 2023.

I disagreed with the ranking for Lufkin last year, in the end these computer rankings were correct.  The computer formula compares and evaluates from many different angles and comparisons.  Lufkin was a 5th place pick in district before the season began, the Panthers are currently in 6th place, so we will see if these computer picks holds true with 5 games left in the season. Stay tuned to see how this plays out.

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers fell to 3-2 on the season and 0-2 in district with a 42-21 loss to the Forney Jackrabbits Friday night. The Panthers have a bye before playing at North Mesquite Oct. 6.

Q After looking back at Friday’s game in which both quarterbacks left with injuries, what were your overall thoughts on the team?

A I was really pleased after both quarterbacks went down with how all the guys pulled together. The kids played hard and gave themselves a chance to win when it was tied in the fourth quarter. They could have separated and fell apart, but they pulled together instead.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_6c9d4b85-7fdb-57a4-8c79-e433129a4df9.html

Q How vital was Kedren Young’s mindset when he was pushed into playing quarterback?

A He’s a leader of young men. He doesn’t get flustered and was really steady. Kedren is a leader on the practice field and he takes care of his business on and off the field.

Q How much does it change the offensive game plan when both quarterbacks go out of the game?

A It really thins out the playbook. At the same time, you can’t just limit it to one or two plays against a good team. With Kedren out there, we had to expand what we could do with him being able to throw a little bit and run the speed option and the zone read. You try to point to the strengths, but he hasn’t gotten reps there in two years. He stepped up in the middle of a drive and understood the situation.

Q What was the overall impression of the defense’s play against Forney?

A We gave up some big plays at the end that didn’t show what the kids really did most of the night because they played really hard. We missed a few tackles but also created some turnovers to get the ball back to the offense. They gave great effort.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Lmao. 

Well, I'm pretty sure the terminology was the same as two years ago. ;) Good athletes don't forget a position they played, now the pass timing and practice throwing the ball yes, that's something that doesn't come as easy in an emergency pinch.  Still can't calculate what the outcome could have been with all the starters healthy or not, we will never know.  I do believe things would have been much better having all the starters in place, although we did get to see some speed option that we would not have seen with T J in the lineup.  You know we were told we would see both QBs play this year with the 1st team offense, and that has not quite materialized.  No doubt Johnson needs more experience.  He can run, doesn't always follow his blocking well, holds the ball in one hand too much. His passing game is hard to evaluate because he gets few opportunities. He looks good when he has time, holds the ball too long other times. It's the speed of the game adjustment, and why he needs to run with the 1s more to get him ready.  I see a ton of potential there for him, he needs some offseason technique work with a quality trainer.  T J has whatever is left in the season to make something happen, and the passing game hasn't looked all that good since the first two games of the season.  In fact our passing game has almost been non existent since the Nacogdoches game, won't count the Forney game because of all the weird injury circumstances.   Anyway, if that is NOT fixed, there is no way the Panthers make the playoffs.  I'm calling it now. We won't make it just playing good D or running the ball with Kendren. 

It is upsetting because we have such great talent at our WR spots and we don't fully use them. It's amazing to me. I mean Taylor, Preston and Hooper are lucky to get two or three  chances a game, and when they do, sometimes good things happen. Like Taylor going for a 79 yard TD last week.  Did you see that run?  It was phenomenal. Not to take anything away from Murphy, he has been targeted twice as many times as Preston and Taylor. So what gives with that?  Preston is my biggest question, he had such a great opening game against Legacy and has not had the huge impact many expected since then.  I don't know many things, what I do see?, is even with a different cast of players each year, the results seem to always trend the same direction. 

Kedren Young needs 560 yards to break Jorvorskie Lane's 3767 career yards record, to become the all time Panther rushing leader.

He has 569 yards through 5 games this year, had 1666 yards in 2022 and 973 yards in 2021. His current total is 3208 yards rushing as a Lufkin Panther.  Young must average 112 yards per game during the remaining 5 regular season games to surpass Lane. Lane got his record over a 41 game period, which included playoff games. Not sure Lane played in all of those games. To date, Young's rushing journey has been over 25 games, no playoffs. Kedren may have missed a couple of games too.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:39 PM, PackAttack said:

His turn here?????  Why????   

Left out Holman coming through here, stayed 2-3 years, moved on to Tatum as HC and now he's back home as Jacksonville HC/AD. One note on Holman, he told Quick when he came here he was looking to move up to a HC position elsewhere if offered, and he did.

Absolutely not Green here, I would never attend another game

On 9/24/2023 at 7:54 PM, timeout! said:

I remember hearing that. He wasn't looking to just camp out in Lufkin for the next 10-20 years. I think it's great when you have a great coach and he stays for the long haul. King has made his home in Longview and has kept that program competitive. But when you have a staff like ours that has done very little. It is hard to justify them still being in those positions. And this is not a knee jerk reaction by fans after a few seasons. We have been at this for over a DECADE now. 

At least a decade !!

When is

This 2024 SNAPSHOT day will be the Week of October 23-27, 2023, the average daily attendance (ADM) during the week, and must be turned in by October 27th.  A little different than in the past, when it was just the enrollment on a single date.  UIL states there will be no surprises this year, not sure what they mean exactly.  Maybe they're talking about no 7A classification.

The UIL site: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/22-24_Alignment_Policies.pdf

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Well, I'm pretty sure the terminology was the same as two years ago. ;) Good athletes don't forget a position they played, now the pass timing and practice throwing the ball yes, that's something that doesn't come as easy in an emergency pinch.  Still can't calculate what the outcome could have been with all the starters healthy or not, we will never know.  I do believe things would have been much better having all the starters in place, although we did get to see some speed option that we would not have seen with T J in the lineup.  You know we were told we would see both QBs play this year with the 1st team offense, and that has not quite materialized.  No doubt Johnson needs more experience.  He can run, doesn't always follow his blocking well, holds the ball in one hand too much. His passing game is hard to evaluate because he gets few opportunities. He looks good when he has time, holds the ball too long other times. It's the speed of the game adjustment, and why he needs to run with the 1s more to get him ready.  I see a ton of potential there for him, he needs some offseason technique work with a quality trainer.  T J has whatever is left in the season to make something happen, and the passing game hasn't looked all that good since the first two games of the season.  In fact our passing game has almost been non existent since the Nacogdoches game, won't count the Forney game because of all the weird injury circumstances.   Anyway, if that is NOT fixed, there is no way the Panthers make the playoffs.  I'm calling it now. We won't make it just playing good D or running the ball with Kendren. 

It is upsetting because we have such great talent at our WR spots and we don't fully use them. It's amazing to me. I mean Taylor, Preston and Hooper are lucky to get two or three  chances a game, and when they do, sometimes good things happen. Like Taylor going for a 79 yard TD last week.  Did you see that run?  It was phenomenal. Not to take anything away from Murphy, he has been targeted twice as many times as Preston and Taylor. So what gives with that?  Preston is my biggest question, he had such a great opening game against Legacy and has not had the huge impact many expected since then.  I don't know many things, what I do see?, is even with a different cast of players each year, the results seem to always trend the same direction. 

I just thought it was funny hearing him say we can’t beat good teams with just a couple plays like we haven’t been running the same 5 plays since 2003 lol 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I just thought it was funny hearing him say we can’t beat good teams with just a couple plays like we haven’t been running the same 5 plays since 2003 lol 

Well, I've been told is just a matter of perspective. It's been different longer for some than for others. ;)

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I saw where our 7th grade beat Longview Foster. Not sure if it was our Purple or Gold team. Maybe that group is a little better then I thought. 

That is an good and interesting twist at the same time. Purple Nation can fill you in on that group, and Longview after their 2025 group.  He knows more than I do on the matter.  I try to distance myself from the Lobo analogies,  any talk about 5th and 6th grade talent being great come Varsity time. I feel the same about most 7th graders, way too much can change in 2 or 3 years. A bunch also has to do with what type of staff is in place when those 7th graders finally arrive at the high school. Too many variables that make my head spin.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I saw where our 7th grade beat Longview Foster. Not sure if it was our Purple or Gold team. Maybe that group is a little better then I thought. 

It was Lufkin Purple. Foster beat Lufkin Gold first game of the season.

Anyway, solid win for yall. Judson is better than Foster but that is a very solid Foster 7th team too. They wont lose much this year. Team has guys like Jacob Allen (Jordan Allen's little brother) at QB and Kaleb Brooks at LB (current Lobo LB Kason Brooks little brother) and Vinny Portley Jr in the trenches (son of former Lobo great). 

Foster 7th is apart of a special Longview 7th class that features Kaiman Flowers...a 6'4/6'5 190 pound TE whose the son of Marvin Byrdsong...Grayson Minshew at WR (kin to Gardner Minshew)...already around 6'0. AJ McGee at RB whose drawing comparisons to Fred Talley early....son of former Lobo great and current coach Addison McGee. And the cherry on top...one of the top '29 signal callers in Texas, Smiles Hill.

https://tdrecruits.com/texas-high-school-football-rising-stars-of-the-2027-and-2029-classes/

All of them are on that undefeated Judson squad that's averaging 34 PPG, and have only given up 6 points all year (against Forest Park). Judson won't play Lufkin Purple this year but they will play Lufkin Gold down in Lufkin on 10/17 at Abe.

The topic is best RB in Lufkin history. My picks in no particular order.

The more recent in last 30 years, I would say:

Denvis Manns (1993-1994) New Mexico State and Dallas Cowboys

Jorvorskie Lane (2002-2004) Texas A&M, Tampa Bay and Miami 

Jamarcus Walker (2010-2011) SFA 

Kedren Young (2021-2023) Notre Dame

Going to add Isaiah Phillips (2017) ULM,  although he was only a RB his senior season he was phenomenal

Have to include Ray Harper (1969-1970), a tough downhill RB who played at Baylor. 

That should cover it, lots of records with Lufkin for those guys.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Going to add Isaiah Phillips (2017) ULM,  although he was only a RB his senior season he was phenomenal

Have to include Ray Harper (1969-1970), a tough downhill RB who played at Baylor. 

What about Eric Curl

39 minutes ago, Lennie said:

What about Eric Curl

Eric was definitely a great RB at Lufkin. He should be in the conversation, didn't set any records in his time as a Panther. I did find an article about Curl being named the MVP of the High School All-Star Oil Bowl in 1989. Unfortunately he had some troubles later in life after football.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/1989/08/06/a-texas-massacre-oklahoma-loses-oil-bowl-33-14/62605312007/

18 hours ago, PackAttack said:

That is an good and interesting twist at the same time. Purple Nation can fill you in on that group, and Longview after their 2025 group.  He knows more than I do on the matter.  I try to distance myself from the Lobo analogies,  any talk about 5th and 6th grade talent being great come Varsity time. I feel the same about most 7th graders, way too much can change in 2 or 3 years. A bunch also has to do with what type of staff is in place when those 7th graders finally arrive at the high school. Too many variables that make my head spin.

The main kid to watch from that 7th grade class will be Mason Mark. He is a future D1 kid. Karsen Henderson is another future D1 kid to watch from that class. They have plenty of skill kids. It's going to come down to lineman for them. Lineman are the hardest to project. That's why you see a lot of 3 stars end up being 1st RD picks. Offensive line is by far the hardest evals.

Lufkin Quarterbacks since 1990, how would you rate them?   I might surprise a couple folks on my picks. (based on their ability, success, chemistry and accuracy)

1. Reggie McNeal 1999-2001 (An integral part to put the only ever trophy in the case)

2. Terrence Parks 2002  (Huge part of the 2001 Title at TE, if Reggie wasn't there he would have been the QB, he was that good, 2002 semifinals)

3. Kordell Rogers 2015 - 2016  ( If the team had any type of defense his two years, there would have been some playoff runs, had several huge passing games)

4. Jeremy Claybon 2004-2005  (Had DEZ, Thomas, Shankle and Lane  and some awesome defensive play in his tenure, 2005 semifinals) 

5. Tyler Stubblefield 2012 ( He and JaBryce Taylor were a passing weapon. Another case of he should have had two years at QB)

6. Jacovey Smallwood 2004  (Great chemistry with Lane, wish he had been there two full years)

7. Kewone Thomas 2017 -2018 (Thomas probably deserves a higher rating. He had a 4 deep playoff run in 2017 and outstanding season in 2018 until his injury)

8.  Bush Smiley 2009-2010  ( Could not get past Klein in the playoffs either year or I would rank higher)

9. Brian Bradford 1997- 1998  (Good QB surrounded by DI talent, helped start the run in 1998, went on to punt at UT)

10. Jordan Moore 2019 - 2020 ( Decent QB. All Time Panther passing leader with zero playoff wins (0-2). When there are no big wins, people don't remember.)

11. Trey Cumbie 2013-2014  (another case of scoring lots of points with a good offense, and no defense. Did not play a single playoff game)

12. Ashford Ayers 2003 ( Much potential, McNeal comparisons, highly ranked 2003 season fell short. Played great at Safety in 2004, big game against Longview in the playoffs)

13. Jason Carter 1992-1993  (He was better than the team he had around him. Came along at wrong time, 333 yards passing against Chapel Hill in 1993)

14. Nick Cox 2011 - (Managed the QB well with limited skills. Few TO. 341 yards pass/Spring Westfield)

15. Jeffery Claybon 2007-2008 ( Had a few good passing games, 357 yards against Conroe, 1-2 in playoffs) 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Kedren Young is by far the best RB prospect to come out of Lufkin in my lifetime. I can go back to Denvis Manns so I can't comment on Eric Curl other then he was pretty good from my understanding. Kedren is a future NFL RB if he stays healthy. That's what those kind of kids look like in HS. I told Chad that Kedren was a better RB then Jorvorskie but Jorvorskie was a better football player if that makes sense. He is going to be a star at Notre Dame.

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin Quarterbacks since 1990, how would you rate them?   I might surprise a couple folks on my picks. (based on their ability, success, chemistry and accuracy)

1. Reggie McNeal 1999-2001 (An integral part to put the only ever trophy in the case)

2. Terrence Parks 2002  (Huge part of the 2001 Title at TE, if Reggie wasn't there he would have been the QB, he was that good, 2002 semifinals)

3. Kordell Rogers 2015 - 2016  ( If the team had any type of defense his two years, there would have been some playoff runs, had several huge passing games)

4. Jeremy Claybon 2004-2005  (Had DEZ, Thomas, Shankle and Lane  and some awesome defensive play in his tenure, 2005 semifinals) 

5. Tyler Stubblefield 2012 ( He and JaBryce Taylor were a pair. Another case of he should have had two years at QB)

6. Jacovey Smallwood 2004  (Great chemistry with Lane, wish he had been there two full years)

7. Kewone Thomas 2017 -2018 (Thomas probably deserves a higher rating. He had a 4 deep playoff run in 2017 and outstanding season in 2018 until his injury)

8.  Bush Smiley 2009-2010  ( Could not get past Klein in the playoffs either or I would rank higher)

9. Brian Bradford 1997- 1998  (Good QB surrounded by DI talent, helped start the run in 1998, went on to punt at UT)

10. Jordan Moore 2019 - 2020 ( Decent QB. All Time Panther passing leader with zero playoff wins (0-2). When there are no big wins, people don't remember.)

11. Trey Cumbie 2013-2014  (another case of scoring lots of points with a good offense, and no defense. Did not play a single playoff game)

12. Ashford Ayers 2003 ( Much potential, McNeal comparisons, highly ranked 2003 season fell short. Played great at Safety in 2004, big game against Longview in the playoffs)

13. Jason Carter 1992-1993  (He was better than the team he had around him. Came along at wrong time, 333 yards passing against Chapel Hill in 1993)

14. Nick Cox 2011 - (Managed the QB well with limited skills. Few TO. 341 yards pass/Spring Westfield)

15. Jeffery Claybon 2007-2008 ( Had a few good passing games, 357 yards against Conroe, 1-2 in playoffs) 

I'll give my top 5

Reggie McNeal

Terrance Parks

Kordell Rodgers

Tyler Stubblefield

Courtney Garcia

I think Rodgers could make the case for #2. 

17 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

It was Lufkin Purple. Foster beat Lufkin Gold first game of the season.

Anyway, solid win for yall. Judson is better than Foster but that is a very solid Foster 7th team too. They wont lose much this year. Team has guys like Jacob Allen (Jordan Allen's little brother) at QB and Kaleb Brooks at LB (current Lobo LB Kason Brooks little brother) and Vinny Portley Jr in the trenches (son of former Lobo great). 

Foster 7th is apart of a special Longview 7th class that features Kaiman Flowers...a 6'4/6'5 190 pound TE whose the son of Marvin Byrdsong...Grayson Minshew at WR (kin to Gardner Minshew)...already around 6'0. AJ McGee at RB whose drawing comparisons to Fred Talley early....son of former Lobo great and current coach Addison McGee. And the cherry on top...one of the top '29 signal callers in Texas, Smiles Hill.

https://tdrecruits.com/texas-high-school-football-rising-stars-of-the-2027-and-2029-classes/

All of them are on that undefeated Judson squad that's averaging 34 PPG, and have only given up 6 points all year (against Forest Park). Judson won't play Lufkin Purple this year but they will play Lufkin Gold down in Lufkin on 10/17 at Abe.

Thanks for filling me in. I knew Judson was the top dog but I know Foster was not to far behind possibly. 

Just now, PurpleNation said:

I'll give my top 5

Reggie McNeal

Terrance Parks

Kordell Rodgers

Tyler Stubblefield

Courtney Garcia

My bad, totally forgot about Courtney in 1996.  Yes, and now I need to go back and rearrange my order of rankings. 

10 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

My bad, totally forgot about Courtney in 1996.  Yes, and now I need to go back and rearrange my order of rankings. 

Remember he was on that 97 team that started 5-0 and got to #5 in the polls. John Tyler was #1 and Longview was #3 at the time. I think Marshall was #10. Lufkin started 0-2 in district losing to Longview after blowing a HT lead. Then lost to Marshall by a TD when they stuffed Garcia at the 6 inch line as my grandpa would call it lol. We would beat #1 JT that year 24-14 at Abe. Everyone thought that would secure a playoff spot until Tyler Lee upset Lufkin the next week by the same score which is infamously known for the Brawl game. Them were some tough years when that district was at it's peak.