2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had video up last year vs Lufkin. It was filmed on the sidelines with some guy talking. He was over there with the players and a few others laughing and joking about how bad they were beating Lufkin. 

The Longview game is over and done with. Not sure there is much to take from it. Other than they are on a different level than Lufkin. Have to go back to the drawing board and come out ready Friday. All is not lost, but that switch better turn on quick. There was a time when people would say.."oh no we playing Lufkin after they lost. They will come in mad this game." I wonder if that is still a thing with this program..

This is going to be an interesting game for all of the district. Hoping that LP can pull it out or at least a solid showing. Lufkin has got to use that H back more against the Forney front 7. If Lufkin can figure out a way to get the ball out in space and develop plays a little quicker, they got a shot to move the ball with consistency against Forney.

Defensively, after watching a lot on Forney, the Lufkin defensive line will be by far the best they have played. It will be interesting to see what the Lufkin DC plays against the Forney.

22 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

This is going to be an interesting game for all of the district. Hoping that LP can pull it out or at least a solid showing. Lufkin has got to use that H back more against the Forney front 7. If Lufkin can figure out a way to get the ball out in space and develop plays a little quicker, they got a shot to move the ball with consistency against Forney.

Defensively, after watching a lot on Forney, the Lufkin defensive line will be by far the best they have played. It will be interesting to see what the Lufkin DC plays against the Forney.

Our starting H back didn't play against Longview. Not sure if he will be available against Forney. There's a huge size difference between him and the backup forced into action the past Friday. Gavin is about 6'2 250 and his backup is prob around 5'9 190. So prob won't be much use blocking. And to be honest, our coaches prob wouldn't use him much if he was available. He has only played a hand full of series this year. Someone said he was banged up, so that could be why.

We have guys that can play. This a gut check game for the Lufkin program. A win gives the team some confidence and momentum going into the bye week. We prob done for the year if it's another blowout loss. 

I have watched a little hudl tape on Forney vs West Mesquite. Not a ton but I plan on doing a deep dive today. Won't be able to tell much. West Mesquite is a terrible team. That defense clearly had the over vs Forney. I think Lufkin will force them to throw the ball a lot more then normal. They have good WRs. One of them is a stud who can really make plays. The QB is solid nothing special. About like the AMC kid. Lufkin will be by far the best team they have faced to date. They're good team that has absolutely beaten up on cans but they beat bad teams like you're supposed to. If Lufkin doesn't turn it over like last season against them. I think this game will be really interesting. They not Longview on defense. 

https://www.meridix.com/event/236460

Mesquite West at Forney last Friday.  The game was 35-0 after 1 quarter and 55-0 at the half.

What is all the flag waving and jumping up and down by coaches on the sidelines?   I call it an attempt to interfere with the opponents offensive play signals. Forney had 15 points before their offense ever touched the field. Forney also have one of those darn train horns too.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

https://www.meridix.com/event/236460

Mesquite West at Forney last Friday.  The game was 35-0 after 1 quarter and 55-0 at the half.

What is all the flag waving and jumping up and down by coaches on the sidelines?   I call it an attempt to interfere with the opponents offensive play signals. Forney had 15 points before their offense ever touched the field. Forney also have one of those darn train horns too.

Forney is kinda up there on that shyt list with whitehouse for me lol 

Forney out scored us 26-7 in the 2nd quarter last season. It was 0-0 after 1. The 3rd quarter was also 0-0 then they outscored us 15-14 in the 4th. Outside a disastrous 2nd quarter that was fueled by turnovers it was pretty even. They lost to Lancaster 56-7 last year and 46-7 to Longview last year. I think we made them look a lot better then the really were last year. If we don't turn the ball over giving them short fields and a bunch of 3 and outs I think we will have a close game. We had like 4 or 5 turnovers last season when we played them if I'm not mistaken. Just have to take care of the ball and finish enough drives.

DCTF Week 4: Game Projections for 7-5A DI:

Forney (4-0) at Lufkin (3-1)     -  Forney  +16    -  83.4%  probability

Longview (3-1) at Lancaster (1-3)  -  Longview  +10  - 72%  probability

McKinney North (3-1) at Tyler (4-0) -  McKinney North  +5  - 65.5%  probability

North Mesquite (1-3) at West Mesquite (2-2) -  West Mesquite  +7  - 69.6%  probability

Think I have a copy of the same questions and answers after last years game, almost word for word. ;)

Here you go:

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers fell to 3-1 overall and 0-1 in district with a 42-0 loss to the No. 2 Longview Lobos in Longview Friday night. Lufkin will host Forney for homecoming at 7:30 Friday night. Homecoming festivities will begin prior to the game at 7:05 p.m.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_70b806f3-074c-5998-9048-2de4313cebce.html

Q What stood out after watching game film of Friday night’s loss in Longview?

A The turnovers and the field position were awful in the first half. We didn’t take care of the ball and that allowed them to start a bunch of drives with great field position. Wherever they start, you’ve got to try to keep them out of the end zone. But at the same time, you’re giving them three extra possessions with the turnovers. You’re already in enough of a bind against a team with their ability. They’re going to get their drives, but you can’t make it shorter and easier for a team of that caliber.

Q What can the team learn from a game like that to get better for the rest of the season?

A It shows just how important it is to play a clean game. You have to be a smart football team. When you don’t play clean, you make it that much tougher on yourselves. There’s a big difference between second and 10 and second and 15 or 20.

Q What were some of the areas the team needs to clean up defensively ahead of Friday’s game against Forney?

A I thought there were several times we were in the right spot but didn’t tackle well. We had people there to make plays and didn’t finish. You’ve got to finish plays when you’ve got the chance.

Q What were some of the biggest problems on the offensive side of the ball?

A We’re out there pressing, and a lot of that was the situations we were in. You don’t want to have to throw it whenever they know you’re going to throw it. You want to be in yardage situations where you’ve got the option to pass or run.

When you’re behind the chains and you aren’t efficient offensively, it’s going to be much more difficult to throw the ball.

Q What is the balance of correcting mistakes from the Longview game while focusing on preparing for Forney?

A You’ve got to correct what happened and move on. In this district, every game counts. The game this Friday is just as important as the one last Friday. You have to keep moving forward, but at the same time, you have to make sure you aren’t correcting the same things week after week.

Josh Havard’s email address is

josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

18 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Think I have a copy of the same questions and answers after last years game, almost word for word. ;)

Here you go:

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers fell to 3-1 overall and 0-1 in district with a 42-0 loss to the No. 2 Longview Lobos in Longview Friday night. Lufkin will host Forney for homecoming at 7:30 Friday night. Homecoming festivities will begin prior to the game at 7:05 p.m.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_70b806f3-074c-5998-9048-2de4313cebce.html

Q What stood out after watching game film of Friday night’s loss in Longview?

A The turnovers and the field position were awful in the first half. We didn’t take care of the ball and that allowed them to start a bunch of drives with great field position. Wherever they start, you’ve got to try to keep them out of the end zone. But at the same time, you’re giving them three extra possessions with the turnovers. You’re already in enough of a bind against a team with their ability. They’re going to get their drives, but you can’t make it shorter and easier for a team of that caliber.

Q What can the team learn from a game like that to get better for the rest of the season?

A It shows just how important it is to play a clean game. You have to be a smart football team. When you don’t play clean, you make it that much tougher on yourselves. There’s a big difference between second and 10 and second and 15 or 20.

Q What were some of the areas the team needs to clean up defensively ahead of Friday’s game against Forney?

A I thought there were several times we were in the right spot but didn’t tackle well. We had people there to make plays and didn’t finish. You’ve got to finish plays when you’ve got the chance.

Q What were some of the biggest problems on the offensive side of the ball?

A We’re out there pressing, and a lot of that was the situations we were in. You don’t want to have to throw it whenever they know you’re going to throw it. You want to be in yardage situations where you’ve got the option to pass or run.

When you’re behind the chains and you aren’t efficient offensively, it’s going to be much more difficult to throw the ball.

Q What is the balance of correcting mistakes from the Longview game while focusing on preparing for Forney?

A You’ve got to correct what happened and move on. In this district, every game counts. The game this Friday is just as important as the one last Friday. You have to keep moving forward, but at the same time, you have to make sure you aren’t correcting the same things week after week.

Josh Havard’s email address is

josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

It's the same story every year. Just more generic talking points from one year to the next. Also not sure if there is anything else that can be said. It's all about the actions speaking louder than words at this point. No more of "we want to get that bad taste out our mouth."  Quick need to look at Star Wars for inspiration. There is a little green guy on there. That is wise beyond his years that he could learn from. 

“No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.” 

Just get it done Quick.

May the force be with you.

I went back and watched the first half of the game. And he is right about some bad tackling. I also saw some players take some bad angles. You hardly every see Longview players doing that and most of them tackle well. I assume all this is being taught/stressed here too..Being fundamentally sound is so important against good teams. Especially when the talent is close. 

Coaching staff and players will need to be dialed in Friday. Forney is coming in confident and will try to blow us out the stadium. Not sure who will be available for us. But we should have enough to win if everyone comes in prepared. I just want to see us get our swagger back. 

5 hours ago, Webleedpurple said:

Since I picked Lufkin last week I will pick Forney this week. Forney 48-13 over Lufkin.

Forney by 40. They havent changed one dang thing,not one on special teams.How in the heck can you compete when we dont have a special team coach.Got my tickets in hand,even the spectators are going thru the motion. PA can you name the asst coaches,and what they coach, not one person i sit by,knew who they were except Cook,Quick,Green, and Simmons. Anyway we can move to 4A?