2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Until we get a passing game we won't go very far. The better teams like LV will just load up and dare us too pass. Sure hope it is nothing major with Zion

Yeah we are done 

If we really thought we would come to LV and out run them with basic hand off plays we were lying to ourselves 

we have receiving options get someone to get them the ball!!!

Glass half full. The run defense has been about as good as it can be against Tatum. The two short fields hurt. Credit Willie Nelson he made the plays. The Murphy TD coming back was absolutely back breaking. A few plays later Hammond throws the INT that is returned deep in our territory. I still think we have a playoff team that is headed in the right direction. 

Before you jump on me, and I dare you to do so,  stuff has not turned out well with past huge losses like this one. So forgive me for jumping the gun, I could not moderate from Longview,  I had lost my phone beside my truck in the grass parking lot , they would not let me go back out of the stadium. That made me very upset, they almost called the security on me, it was not a good night in Longview for me. Thankfully I was lucky, the phone was still there when I returned. So I'm sitting there in the stadium without my phone with no way to look or moderate.  So, I borrowed a friends phone and closed the topic until we returned or I found my phone.

I have done this site for many years and I have had to put up with the worst things said here after a big loss like this, so I was being precautionary after this 42-0 shellacking tonight.  There are people who run this site that I am also responsible to, this is not my site, I only moderate. 

32 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Before you jump on me, and I dare you to do so,  stuff has not turned out well with past huge losses like this one. So forgive me for jumping the gun, I could not moderate from Longview,  I had lost my phone beside my truck in the grass parking lot , they would not let me go back out of the stadium. That made me very upset, they almost called the security on me, it was not a good night in Longview for me. Thankfully I was lucky, the phone was still there when I returned. So I'm sitting there in the stadium without my phone with no way to look or moderate.  So, I borrowed a friends phone and closed the topic until we returned or I found my phone.

I have done this site for many years and I have had to put up with the worst things said here after a big loss like this, so I was being precautionary after this 42-0 shellacking tonight.  There are people who run this site that I am also responsible to, this is not my site, I only moderate. 

All good. Not the best night of football. On to homecoming and Forney 

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I don't think it's a big deal PA. My grandpa always told me you win some, you lose some, and some you wish you never played. They whipped us pretty good tonight but we had some missed opportunities and self inflicted miscues that certainly didn't help. I thought the defense played about as well as they could given the circumstances. The pass defense really let us down tonight. We had the perfect start on defense. Great field position and the offense comes away empty in the red area. Had Preston for a TD. Lufkin again had another opportunity on plus side of the field and we get the INT return right after having the TD called back. Murphy probably scores if that pass is on target. Longview also had the big punt return so 2 of there first 3 TDs started from inside our on 30. Lufkin didn't really threaten again before the half. Then we give up the busted coverage TD before half. That's probably the 4th busted coverage we've seen this year. Second half we drive down inside the red area and come away empty. Get a stop and the Longview punter hits an absolute bomb to change the field. Offense stalls and then Tutt hits DK Reese on a dime and a missed tackle he scores. Yeah they completely outclassed us but we should of had a better showing then that. The offense just didn't look prepared but the Longview defense is probably the best in 5A. We won't see anything close to that level rest of the way. 

Well it's most difficult to say anything positive about a 42-0 loss like this, so I'm not going to try. PN you've said about all there can be said, real interested in Quick's thoughts, or maybe Josh Havard's descriptions.  Never been a part of watching such  a poorly played Lufkin football game and getting shut out so badly.  I've got nothing

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/longview-dominates-panthers/article_c36211be-aafc-5da0-af0d-74b0374aea2d.html

LONGVIEW — The Lufkin Panthers entered a showdown with the Longview Lobos with a 3-0 record and a load of momentum for the second straight year.

Unfortunately for the Pack, they once again left the district opener with many more questions than answers.

Longview took control with a dominating second quarter and rode a big night from the defense on the way to a 42-0 win at Lobo Stadium Friday night.

Longview held the Panthers to a season-low 208 yards, including 98 yards on 39 carries.

It forced three turnovers at crucial times to put Lufkin in the early hole.

Meanwhile, it was an efficient night from the Longview offense, which took advantage of several short fields to lead to the lopsided score.

Andrew Tutt led Longview’s offense with 148 yards and two scores on 5-of-9 passing. He added 34 yards and a score on four carries.

Oklahoma commit Taylor Tatum finished with 87 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries before taking a seat midway through the third quarter.

Meanwhile, Lufkin’s star running back Kedren Young had rough sledding against a stout Longview defense. He was held to 62 yards on 22 carries.

T.J. Hammond completed 8-of-16 passes for 95 yards. Brayden Murphy caught five passes for 71 yards. However, his biggest play of the night came off the board on a holding penalty.

That told the story of a night Longview dominated from the midpoint of the second quarter.

The Panthers’ defense came out hot on the first drive of the game, forcing a quick three-and-out before Lufkin drove the ball just short of the red zone.

However, Lufkin eventually turned the ball over on downs. It was all Longview for the remainder of the night.

The Lobos got their offense in gear by grinding away on a 12-play, 74-yard drive that ended when Tatum powered his way into the end zone on a fourth-and-goal play at the 1-yard line.

It was the Longview special teams that came up with the next big play when Willie Nelson returned a punt to the Lufkin 16.

Two plays later, Tatum scored on an 8-yard touchdown run that made it 14-0.

Nelson continued to make his imprint on the game on the following drive when he picked off a pass and returned it to the Lufkin 27. Tutt started the following drive with a 17-yard run then closed it out with a 7-yard touchdown run that made it 21-0 midway through the third quarter.

Another quick Lufkin drive turned into points the other way as Longview got its biggest play of the first half when Tutt found a wide-open Kelvin Washington for a 51-yard touchdown pass that made it 28-0.

The Lobos dominated the stats in the first half by outgaining Lufkin 216-65.

Young was Lufkin’s top offensive threat with 45 rushing yards before the break, although it took him 17 carries to reach that mark.

Tatum ran for 76 yards and two scores on 16 carries before the break. Tutt was Longview’s other threat with 93 passing yards and a touchdown to go along with 30 rushing yards and another score.

Lufkin seemed to be on the verge of turning the momentum around early in the third quarter when Hammond hooked up with Murphy for a 50-yard pass.

However, that drive ended with more frustration when Jaden Simmons picked off a pass at the Longview 3.

After the ensuing drive ended in a punt, it only took Longview’s offense one play to get back on the board on the following possession with Tutt hitting Dakaylen Reese over the middle for a 55-yard touchdown that made it 35-0.

A special teams gaffe gave Longview another short field and Buster Mumphery capitalized with a 7-yard touchdown run that made it 42-0 with 3:57 left in the third quarter.

Both teams unloaded their benches from there with the Lobos holding Lufkin without a touchdown for the second straight time in Longview.

Lufkin (3-1) returns to action at 7:30 Friday when it hosts Forney.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Quick had nothing to say to Josh Havard. Did he speak to anyone from JAM Digital Media after the game? We are a long way from being a playoff football team. 

You just can't make up how we were dominated tonight in just about every phase of that game.  It's not just the inability to move the ball offensively, it was the comedy of errors that haunted this program. Secondary guys letting Lobos get wide open or running into each other getting mixed up in coverage, bad punt snaps and those penalties to negate any good plays we did make on this night. We are way too slow developong plays, Green takes forever to get a play in and run it.  Longview knew what we were doing before we ran half the plays. The Lobos were quicker, faster, more aggressive to the ball than Lufkin. There D is legit. Their offense is very well coached and designed well to operate what they do.

Yea, the Panthers were missing a few key players on D,  and I'm sorry Zion got hurt too. Even so, this was beyond embarrassing for Panther fans to see happen. Kedren did all he could,  made two or three decent runs, but he worked for every single yard. We will be very fortunate to win next week IMO. . A&M Consolidated can't hold a candle next to Longview.   Should have  stayed home to saved the $100 it took to make that trip.  I have no words, just the same old feeling of de ja vu all over again. Now we await the 4-0 Forney Jackrabbits, a 69-0 winner over West Mesquite  tonight.

Hope Zion is not lost for the season, he would be a huge loss.  Injuries are unfortunantly part of the game, but Lufkin just seems to have more of them than most teams. Think I counted 7 or 8 Lufkin players not dressed out last night for various reasons and Gavin Phillips didn't even make the trip.  With two starters out and a good backup out of the game on the D line it probably made some difference, but not enough because it wasn't the D line that broke down, it was our secondary play.

Except for the 1st Lufkin offensive drive, this game was just as one sided as the 42-0 score indicates. Back to the drawing boards.

Drinking my coffee this morning, can't do a thing about last night, or next week or the next for that matter.  I probably should keep up with my phone better. 

My buddy reminded me on the way home last night, it is what it is here and things will not get better until the people or those in charge want a change for the better. 

Whatever it takes, cause  he said Lufkin football getting blanked like that, with the supposed talent we have this year points only one way.

That Lufkin has been decimated by Longview 41-5, 56-7 and now 42-0 consecutively indicates a deeper issue than player talent. 

Well crap, we have 6 more games to go this season, where is this thing going again? What are we fans suppose to do or expect?

This is not just getting old, it's over ripe and getting seedy. Maybe the talent isn't what we believed, I don't believe that at all. Not one bit. Then why the huge separation between the Lufkin football program and Longview?

If it's not the kids or the talent, what's the issue? You guys will need to figure out that 139 to 12 points gap the last three years. It will come to you. 

Just want to say that I never thought in my wildest dream I would see us shutout. This team was supposed to have  been a play-off group. We are going to face more teams that are good, maybe not as good as LV in district, so I'm not as excited about the season. Man that was a gut punch last night, because it shows how one dimensional we are on offense.  T J stares down his receivers ,linemen can't block etc. Do we have a qb coach and if so what is he during too help? As I said early good teams will stack the line and dare us too  throw. Young is a good back, but you just can't run the ball in 5A and expect too win every week. I,m so glad I decided not to go last night. I watched the streaming feed , until halftime. That was  embarrassing to the Lufkin Panther program.