2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Pack05 said:

I don’t know if we can rush for over 200 yards on the lobos . So we better have some balance of run and pass .

I think the game will be decided in the trenches. Longview has had a decisive advantage in the trenches over the past 5 seasons, and I'd say 2017 was the last time we were even with them. If you go position by position, I think we have a better QB, better WRs, and even as far as every other position other than the offensive line, where they have been much better than us these first 3 games. If we can contain Tatum and put them in some 3rd and long's, that'll give us our best chance. But the game will be decided with our offense and specifically our offensive line. If we can win at the line of scrimmage, on both passing and running plays, we'll give ourselves the best chance to pull the upset. 

7 minutes ago, PackMan16 said:

I think the game will be decided in the trenches. Longview has had a decisive advantage in the trenches over the past 5 seasons, and I'd say 2017 was the last time we were even with them. If you go position by position, I think we have a better QB, better WRs, and even as far as every other position other than the offensive line, where they have been much better than us these first 3 games. If we can contain Tatum and put them in some 3rd and long's, that'll give us our best chance. But the game will be decided with our offense and specifically our offensive line. If we can win at the line of scrimmage, on both passing and running plays, we'll give ourselves the best chance to pull the upset. 

I agree. It all boils down to our O-line. Thats where we have our biggest question mark. Special teams will need to step up too. I have been disappointed from what I have seen so far. We have had some type of botched extra point, FG or punt, every game this year. The margins will be much smaller during district. We're fortunate our defense played as well as they did against AMC. We had two shanked punts that set them up on our side of the field. Things like that will cost you a close game.

https://www.ktre.com/2023/09/12/lufkin-coach-ready-longview/

It could just be me. I never played for Quick, but he doesn't sound like the type of coach that will get his guys fired up. " Let's get it on. It's gonna be great" Maybe he tells the boys something different to get them ready. Guess I been listening to too much Coach Sanders at Colorado. Waiting for Quick to say "We Coming and I'm bringing my Louie bags with me." 😂

All jokes aside. I think he's just a nice guy trying to get stuff done his way. I'd like to see him get one before he retires. 

47 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I agree. It all boils down to our O-line. That's where we have our biggest question mark. Special teams will need to step up too. I have been disappointed from what I have seen so far. We have had some type of botched extra point, FG or punt, every game this year. The margins will be much smaller during district. We're fortunate our defense played as well as they did against AMC. We had two shanked punts that set them up on our side of the field. Things like that will cost you a close game.

Hey, this season has always boiled down to the O-Line play. Everyone has been talking about it here since last season, talked about it in the Spring, and before the scrimmage.  I said, others have said too, the success of our offensive will be determined by how well the OL performs.  Kedren depends on it to find rushing space, T J must have protection to get the ball to the WRs. We have been talking about OL play, seems like forever around here. Where do you look when the OL is a topic of concern so much?  Don't look at the kids.

I have a good feeling about Friday night. The two best players on both sides of the ball play hard and won't be intimidated. Our secondary is young, but they can play and won't back down. And we have some Wrs that can go get the ball. We have most of what we need to make it a contest. 

I don't see a 34 pt blowout. Lufkin will have to start knocking off some of these elite programs, before anyone respects us. Thats all it that matters. Can you beat the best of the best. This game could be the turning point for our program. 

10 hours ago, timeout! said:

It could just be me. I never played for Quick, but he doesn't sound like the type of coach that will get his guys fired up. " Let's get it on. It's gonna be great" Maybe he tells the boys something different to get them ready. Guess I been listening to too much Coach Sanders at Colorado. Waiting for Quick to say "We Coming and I'm bringing my Louie bags with me." 😂

All jokes aside. I think he's just a nice guy trying to get stuff done his way. I'd like to see him get one before he retires. 

Quick was pretty intense as a DC when I played for him. He gave a pretty good pregame speech to the defense before the 2004 SLC game. He gave us each a rubber band with band of brothers written on them but the usual was always explicit any other game lol

9 hours ago, timeout! said:

I have a good feeling about Friday night. The two best players on both sides of the ball play hard and won't be intimidated. Our secondary is young, but they can play and won't back down. And we have some Wrs that can go get the ball. We have most of what we need to make it a contest. 

I don't see a 34 pt blowout. Lufkin will have to start knocking off some of these elite programs, before anyone respects us. Thats all it that matters. Can you beat the best of the best. This game could be the turning point for our program. 

This would definitely be a statement win. It would put us a year ahead of schedule in my opinion. Next season I fully expect to beat these guys. This is no doubt the measuring stick. We need to have a good showing at Lobo. 

I've never believed in that 34 point margin, some Lobo fans are now saying they think, and will take a 14 point win. They are weighing things differently, because they have some uncertainities about themselves as well. They know we have something more than last year, we are a little older and more experienced now. The AMC bunch were a very good well rounded team., we were the underdogs just as the Lobos were with Mckinney. We both have played Legacy. We were up 31-0 on Legacy and did not play the starters after the 1st series of the 3rd quarter. In the Longview- McKinney game MK lost their two best RB in the 1st half of that game, Lobos still lost even though they came back in the 2nd half, plus MK couldn't pass the ball for a $1 worth of beans.  One of those RB injured was almost unstoppable in the 1st half before going out.

I'm going to step out here and say Lufkin's Defense is pretty close to McKinney's, I've looked at their last two games. Strengths are in different spots, this Lufkin D is only showing the tip of the iceberg right now, I think they are just going to get better and better

The Lufkin offense makes me scratch my head at times. We have awesome skill players there, not just Kendren Young. There is also Gavin Phillips,  Bacquari Murphy, Chinn and Keandre Hooper we have in the back field. Hooper also a slot guy. Our RBs are just as good as Longview's. Our WRs are all really good, I think we have better WR than the Lobos, TJ just needs the protection to get them the ball. 

Longview is having to use Tatum at RB, Wildcat QB and WR to make their offense go. They have a couple other really good RBs (Boosie Washington) they use too, they always have RBs. Tutt their QB has been managing their O well so far, he is good with the play action to Tatum. All Lobo QBs can run that PA well. He runs occasionally, doesn't make many mistakes. Panther's TJ has more experience, the better arm and targets to throw to IMO. The success difference between the two is the OL, here we are back to OL. The tell of the tale will be here IMO.

16 hours ago, timeout! said:

The Lufkin Panthers begin District play this week against rival Longview. Lufkin Head Coach Todd Quick says he’s excited about Fridays contest.

“Well you know a couple of things,” he said. “First District game and it’s Longview. We go up there so very exciting and exciting to see what the kids can do and let’s get it on. It’s gonna be great.”

It’s our Red Zone Game of the Week and you know, I hate to bring up bad memories but it didn’t go exactly the Panthers favor last season. So I got to think you’re going into this game, you know, with a chip on your shoulder looking for a little payback.

“Well, kids have been working hard since January and it’s been going on since then,” he said. “A lot of stuff. They put in a lot of time for this. And so we’re where we want to be right now, and we’re not where we want to finish. So we’re, we’re excited about the opportunity and ready to get it.”

12 hours ago, timeout! said:

There is not anyone I would rather see have success before he decides to step away from coaching.  Don't know a single person that knows him, including myself, that can say a bad word of him.  He certainly knows football and it is hard to understand some of his past results. Nevertheless, he has been that intense guy before and a big winner coaching with Outlaw, hard to replicate that coaching experience.  I don't always agree with his decisions, but I'm still there every week of football watching the Panthers play. I love HS football.  He's been coaching here 28 years, Quick is a full blown Lufkin Panther now, his son's played here. I want him to have success, if he is doing well then these football kids are also having fun and success too.

Nothing changed in the DCTF 5A DI rankings going into the 4th week of the season, Longview is still ranked at #2 and Aledo at #1.

Until someone proves different, those are where those teams should be right now.

Mansfield Timberview still sits at #3, Port Arthur Memorial #4,  (Lamar) Fulshear #5, Denton Ryan #6, Smithson Valley #7, Red Oak #8, PSJA North #9 and Frisco Lone Star rounds things out at #10.

10 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Whoever said she ask harder questions than LDN may be right. 😁

King may have Quick number, but most of the games have been competitive. Quick has shown he can go head to head with King, especially when we have a little extra talent. The last two years are outliers more than anything else. I say we get back on track and have a classic Longview vs Lufkin battle. 

4 hours ago, pack98 said:

LP will Go to LV and win this game. 

Go Pack 

I really don't have much more to say about this game. There is lots at stake for the program. The Lufkin kids have this game circled. I'll put up a game thread, although not many folks look at them.  I'll also post computer rankings and DCTF picks and point spreads. 

As for me, win or lose, just want to get up to the game and back home in the most efficient manner.  Go Pack!

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF Matt Stepp has picked Longview over Lufkin by +11.  His prediction is 35-24 Lobos.

Pigskin Prep still has Longview +34

Matt Stepp with a reasonable prediction. Can't see +34 happening. If we can stop Tatum we're going to beat Longview. It's as simple as that. We have a really good run defense. Zion is going to be unlike anything they have faced this year in the middle. I expect them to try to get Tatum on the edge. 

Sports editor Josh Havard held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Tuesday afternoon. The Panthers improved to 3-0 with a 24-17 win over the A&M Consolidated Tigers Friday night. Lufkin travels to Longview for the district opener at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Q How important was it for the team to be tested by a strong opponent in the last non-district game?

A It’s huge. There was no doubt that was the best team we’ve played all year. The kids stayed focused throughout. Every game isn’t going to be a blowout. You just keep chipping away and good things eventually happened. Every play isn’t always going to be great all the time. Our district is loaded, so you want to put yourself in a position to win in the fourth quarter then let your training take over.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_2eccb1e0-9e60-5d2f-840d-4fcf750681d0.html

Q How vital was it to stay patient with the running game through three quarters before the strong finish?

A You’ve got to let (Kedren Young) work. He’s a strong and physical runner. Not every play is going to be 90 yards. What we see is when he gets us into second and 5 or third and 2 because of the effort he puts in.

Those are the runs you don’t notice until you look at the chains. Everybody sees the 90-yarders. They don’t always see the 5-yarders that probably should have been nothing.

Q What was the biggest key in the way the team finished the game by outscoring A&M Consolidated 14-0 in the last quarter.

A It was good to see the guys out there scrapping for every yard or doing everything they could to get off the field defensively. They needed to have a game like that where they really had to fight through it. I was really proud of the offensive line. It was slow going early on, which can get you frustrated. They kept chipping away. Kedren kept running with his pads forward and eventually it broke.

Q What was the key for the defense in limiting a tough A&M Consolidated offense throughout the night?

A They really took a lot of snaps the first three quarters. And that was against a team that has guys on the edge that can make plays. They’ve got highly skilled players and the kids made plays on them in the open field. I was pleased with how the guys were able to get off the field so many times.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

DCTF 7-5A DI District game predictions for Week #4:

Lufkin at Longview - Longview by +27

Lancaster at McKinney North - Lancaster by +11

Tyler at North Mesquite - Tyler by +19

West Mesquite at Forney - Forney by +25

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF 7-5A DI District game predictions for Week #4:

Lufkin at Longview - Longview by +27

Lancaster at McKinney North - Lancaster by +11

Tyler at North Mesquite - Tyler by +19

West Mesquite at Forney - Forney by +25

Kinda funny when you think about it. W. Mesquite has a smaller spread vs Forney than we do against Longview. I’m ready for this game. If there was ever a time to bring back some of that old Pack swagger, this is it. Let’s get the Lufkin mean streak back going. We been in the basement too long. Let this be our coming out party. Go Pack!

4 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Kinda funny when you think about it. W. Mesquite has a smaller spread vs Forney than we do against Longview. I’m ready for this game. If there was ever a time to bring back some of that old Pack swagger, this is it. Let’s get the Lufkin mean streak back going. We been in the basement too long. Let this be our coming out party. Go Pack!

Well, so far Pigskin Prep has put out +34 in favor of Longview, DCTF says +27 and Matt Stepp says Longview +11.   Makes a person's head spin.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Now Longview is going to rush for 350 and would beat AMC by 3 TDs 😂. I can't wait for Friday.

That doesn't surprise me at all. 😉 Talk is Talk, and I'm told it's cheap.  Tomorrow is Thursday, no more talking. I can assure WP4L, no one is getting ahead of ourselves.  Plus next year and that 2025 class won't matter because Lufkin won't be in the same district or classification with Longview.