2023 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Going to be short and sweet tonight.  This was not a pretty game to watch.  There were plenty of things that did not always go well.

In the end this team made the plays to win.  These kids played uphill all night against a very good A&M Consolidated team.  They are well coached and played very well the 1st half of tonight's game. Yes, AMC is a playoff team.  That is the best QB we have seen this year and they made some plays on us.  I want to give AMC a bunch of credit.

After the 2nd half kickoff AMC drove for their last score, after that the Panther D put the clamps on them and the Panther running game with Young making some powerful runs, Phillips contributed too.   We had a TD called back tonight on a penalty, that is about 5 this year.

The passing game was hit and miss, but we were so close on several opportunities. AMC played really good defense on us for much of the evening.  Had a TD called back. 

We were playing with a 3rd string tackle tonight that hurt us a couple times.  The OL starts slow, the running game starts slow, I can't figure it out. Somehow the last three game, the team has figured it out in the 2nd half.

Lufkin needed this type of game against a really good opponent with a really good QB and running game. These Lufkin kids never quit and plowed right through whatever adversity that was going on to win by a TD.  They spent most of the first 3 quarters behind or tied with AMC. They showed me something, that they can perceiver even when everything is not hitting on all cylinders.

I am really concerned about our kicking and punting game, the inconsistency there is going to come back and bite us in the future. You have ONE thing to do right. 

I still feel good about this team, they had a couple easy games, then this one tonight against a true playoff team, and they fought through to win. Longview is another matter, and we will deal with that next week. Tonight was a Panther win, we are 3-0 and we move forward.   I'll have some stats later. it has already been pointed out that Kedren had a BIG night with 225 yards on 32 totes.  Thankful for Kedren Young on a night like this. 

You have to remember Longview hasn't played much of anyone either and Forney has played only 5A DII team.  We are not playing North Shore or Duncanville next week.  Go Pack!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, LPPACK said:
  On 9/6/2023 at 9:52 PM, timeout! said:

my take is below par.disicpline is needed! LV by 30,just saying and that guy with Big Nasty needs to go back to Hudson.Who is that anyway.

Discipline on Lufkin?  AMC is the one who had the two kids thrown out, one for cussing a ref and the other for throwing punches.  I thought Lufkin did very well tonight in that department.  Lufkin 5 penalties for 50 yards, AMC 16 penalties for 156 yards.

Longview by 30??   I'll  put money down that doesn't happen.  ;)

22 minutes ago, ConcernedFormerPanther said:

Young and the O-line were able to get going late or else this could have gotten out of hand

I am a believer in Preston #18 the kid is huge and runs great for a bigger WR   This offense has to find a way to get that kid more involved especially with the loaded boxes we face! 

we put our defense in some horrible spots as well but they showed resilience and heart but I will never understand why we choose to not play Alexander and Zion at the same time they are the 2 biggest kids on the team!! Going into district this defense will need the offense to do their part if we want to see the playoffs 

They could play Zion and Alexander at the same time. They showed it during the spring practices but I think you want to keep them fresh. We have the bodies and depth for a 3-4 not so much a 4-3. 

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Discipline on Lufkin?  AMC is the one who had the two kids thrown out, one for cussing a ref and the other for throwing punches.  I thought Lufkin did very well tonight in that department.  

I"ll take that PA! Our special teams are horrible,who is (please stand up) the coach!I wasnt able to buy a program. Jam media once again did a great job!Why cant we fix this? 

26 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Hope you right. The staff better fix that blitz pickup and figure out way to get some other guys going. And can we get Gavin more involved in the offense? We have only given him a few carries this year and have not thrown to him on any of the pass plays he has ran. 

You know we are holding back on thatBu But just watch first play in LV friday nite.

Scores from 7-5A DI tonight and last night:

(3-0) Forney  53   (0-3) Mesquite Poteet  0

(2-1) Denton Guyer 28   (1-2)  Lancaster 20

(2-1) Longview  28  (0-3) Tyler Legacy  7   Suspended

(2-1) McKinney North 57  (0-3)  Frisco Memorial   7

(3-0)  North Forney  34  (1-2) North Mesquite  14

(2-1) West Mesquite 45   (1-2) FW Chisholm Trail  6

(3-0) Tyler  27   (2-1)  Mesquite Horn  12

10 hours ago, timeout! said:

Gritty win. Gives them something to build on going into district. Kedren carried the team in the 2nd half. AMC is a solid team and really pushed us tonight. Lufkin still has things to work on if they want to grab one of those four spots. Especially on the offensive side.

Absolutely ,we have too be more consistent. TJ is staring down his receivers. The better teams will get a lead on us and take us out of the run game. Last night was gutsy on our part, boys played hard and did not give up

10 hours ago, ConcernedFormerPanther said:

Young and the O-line were able to get going late or else this could have gotten out of hand

I am a believer in Preston #18 the kid is huge and runs great for a bigger WR   This offense has to find a way to get that kid more involved especially with the loaded boxes we face! 

we put our defense in some horrible spots as well but they showed resilience and heart but I will never understand why we choose to not play Alexander and Zion at the same time they are the 2 biggest kids on the team!! Going into district this defense will need the offense to do their part if we want to see the playoffs 

Absolutely 

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Discipline on Lufkin?  AMC is the one who had the two kids thrown out, one for cussing a ref and the other for throwing punches.  I thought Lufkin did very well tonight in that department.  

For the record..I didn't pick Longview by 30. Not sure what that guy did, but he somehow attributed a quote to me I never said. lol

30 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Young plays like that we will be hard to beat. That was a fast team we played last night. Didn’t expect to see them that improved from the year before. Defense made huge plays. Looking forward to the trip up to Longview. Should be fun. 

I think they were better prepared this year. They didn't come in with that lofty ranking and assuming they would just blow us out. We caught them napping last year and they paid for it. They came in focused and ready to go all out on stopping Kedren this year. 

There's no shaking in my boots about next week in Longview or should there be for this year's group of Panthers. DCTF picked Lufkin for 5th in our district, Matt Stepp picked them 4th. Lufkin ranked #44 in 5A DI and Longview #2, and they are at home. DCTF is not going to pick Lufkin to win this game, no one else expects the Pack to win. The way I look at it, the Panthers have got nothing to lose here and everything to gain if they play well.  Longview bears all the burden of proof to meet their ranked expectations.  

As PurpleNation has already expressed, we are not headed next week to play IMG, and as I said last night, not playing Duncanville or Galena Park Northshore, or even Aledo right now. Our kids are ready for this, they have had this circled since last year. They haven't forgotten.

39 minutes ago, timeout! said:

For the record..I didn't pick Longview by 30. Not sure what that guy did, but he somehow attributed a quote to me I never said. lol

Okay, not a problem. Think it was LPPACK, anyway I'm still betting against those 30 points. Have that tingling feeling in my bones that won't happen this year.

There will be a lot said about the game this week. It will probably be the most talked about game for both schools for the year. You would be hard pressed to find more fan engagement between two schools. We already know Longview fans have no longer respect the Lufkin problem. We haven't given them much reason to do so. Quick has only beaten Longview twice, since he took over, with the last one being in 2016. And we have been outscored 97-12 in our last two meeting. So it's safe to say they have established a dominance over our program that spans over several classes. Basically, King has Quicks number. The same way Outlaw had Longviews back in the day.

I look at the the way I see all challenges. It's another opportunity to prove yourself and learn something. Lufkin will definitely learn many things about where this program stands next week. Have we closed the gap enough to win or put the game in doubt next week? We can match up with Longview athlete for athlete across the board. So talent won't be the deciding factor.  As for as I know, both teams will enter this game healthy. 

I'm confident in this groups ability to play football well. We have some ballers out there on the field. I do worry about this staff ability to have them prepared. There is a VERY small sample of our staff having guys prepared for big games. We'll see where the chips fall this Friday. My hope is we come out and show that this program is back on track and ready to compete, at least for the next few years...